Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

Porsche-Jeck:

Thanks, Boyko23 for the upload - very informative document Smiley BTW the document mentions the 7:25 Nordschleife lap time, which means that the NoS-performance is not on par with the equally powered 991.2 GTS (not that it means anything for reallife use of the car).

How fast was the 991.2 GTS around the Ring? I can only find the Sport Auto time, which was 7:24.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Boyko23:  Thank you for the very informative document.  One has learned much about the new 992 and look forward to seeing the car in person soon.  The integration of the 992/718 assembly, especially in the body shop, with the Taycan suggests that there might be commonality of components, i.e., the MMB component set, amongst these products.  That does make incredible sense from an economics standpoint.  That would also imply that the new Audi e-tron GT would also share some of the critical components of the new platform, again harvesting substantial financial gains.

Wow. Lots of nannies. Pretty much must get the PDK to use half of them. Limited sport mode in town. That intercooler location will add lots of heat into the engine compartment vs off to the bottom side as in the past. Not know what to say about the motor mounts. Seems like a way to squeeze the particulate filter.  More and more tech to go wrong ala 928. 

Here´s the first video review/walkaround of the 992 by Autogefühl. It was streamed and ended about 10 minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDzXR1aOsc

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Leawood911:

Wow. Lots of nannies. Pretty much must get the PDK to use half of them. Limited sport mode in town. That intercooler location will add lots of heat into the engine compartment vs off to the bottom side as in the past. Not know what to say about the motor mounts. Seems like a way to squeeze the particulate filter.  More and more tech to go wrong ala 928. 

Sky's favourite is the dingaling which is needed to allow you to drive in the rain!  Tech taking us backwardSmiley

Boyko, thanks so much for the workshop document! Gives a whole new appreciation of the new 911.

By the way, does anybody happen to have the generations picture below in high resolution?

Porsche992Generationsv2.JPG

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Gauss:
    Porsche-Jeck:

Thanks, Boyko23 for the upload - very informative document Smiley BTW the document mentions the 7:25 Nordschleife lap time, which means that the NoS-performance is not on par with the equally powered 991.2 GTS (not that it means anything for reallife use of the car).

How fast was the 991.2 GTS around the Ring? I can only find the Sport Auto time, which was 7:24.

The time claimed by Porsche for the 991.2 GTS on the Nring was 7’22. 

So the new 992 is slower, which is disappointing.  The extra weight can not be compensated by the 8 gear Pdk or other gimmicks... 

...and to those comments before regarding same conditions etc rest assured that Timo Kluck and friends  did all rounds possible to get the time as far down as possible...

--

turbolite

No chance official time it is slower 992, must be different tires or something, but they would never allow it because of marketing reasons.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I don’t think so. If they claim 7’25 that claim is slower than the GTS one. 

But marketing people work for impressing the masses so they will claim a massive improvement over the 991.2. 

The 992 GTS will then again be faster than the 991.2 GTS, as it will have 480 hp or so, that way the marketing guys are ok. 

Unfortunately that kind of marketing does not work with people like us (or at least me). New generation and same horsepower but less performance on the track is not what I expect from Porsche. 

--

turbolite

Actually the time claimed by Porsche for the 991.2 S was 7.30. So 7.25 for the 992 S fits perfectly...even with the marketing department! 

--

turbolite

If the 991.2 was 7:30 then 7:25 for the 992 makes sense then. I'm not too worried about that though, improvements on the ring are going to be smaller and smaller, I'm more worried about knowing how much passion and excitement it still transmits.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

+1.

I could not care less about a few seconds less on the Ring.

Carlos from Spain:

If the 991.2 was 7:30 then 7:25 for the 992 makes sense then. I'm not too worried about that though, improvements on the ring are going to be smaller and smaller, I'm more worried about knowing how much passion and excitement it still transmits.

Just wait for the next 911... the Ring time will have an asterisk, which says “time achieved by a professional algorithm on a closed course in full autonomous mode”  Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

PH Meets Porsche's Dr Frank Walliser

(12 December 2018)

Porsche's Dr Frank-Steffen Walliser is never far from the interesting bits of Porsche news. As Head of Motorsport and GT Road Vehicles, he's been involved with projects like the mid-engined 911 RSR, the Cayman GT4 and the return of the manual gearbox to the 911 GT3.

As of next year, he will assume new responsibilities - taking on August Achleitner's role as head of the 911 model series - but at our LA motor show chat Walliser was still motorsport and GT road cars. Which is kind of where most interest in Porsche lies, right?

Inevitably a great deal of discussion is about the GT2 Clubsport; not the Clubsport Package (easy mistake to make), instead the fully fledged race car revealed at the show with an outrageous rear spoiler, 911 RSR interior and a delicious set of BBS alloys. Interestingly, Walliser says this car came about in part through the positive response to the GT4 Clubsport; creating what he describes as an "easy to handle car", one where you "don't need an engineer and data acquisition" to have an enjoyable motorsport experience. The ambition was to combine the GT4's ease of use - both in terms of dynamics and maintenance - with the GT2's extraordinary performance to create a "GT4 for grownups". It makes sense, really, given the typical customer for the 200 being sold is expected to be a gentleman driver, one from "a different background" to conventional racers. Motorsport will be their hobby, not their occupation, and therefore they require a racing car that will offer them "as many hours as possible without trouble" on circuit - that means a set up that doesn't need hours of tinkering, a reliable, durable powertrain and accessible dynamics.

That's not to say the car isn't serious, though. In addition to one-make competition, Walliser hopes that the Clubsport can race in the SRO's new GT2 category, announced at Spa earlier this year. In addition, its cornering speed and braking is said to be similar to that of a GT3 Cup car, with the benefit of another 200hp. As for the 935, the GT2-based car that is for track but not for competition and also not for the road, it's described as "a little bit of a crazy idea", one inspired by a car mag laying about at Porsche that featured an original. It was raised as an idea with the design team and the rest is history.

And the road car side of Walliser's responsibilities, there is - as always - plenty to chat about. Would four-wheel drive ever make it to a Porsche GT car? Seems unlikely, given "raw" and "lightweight" are used to describe the current range, plus the usual concerns about weight and even the impact such tech could have on fuel tank size. The point is also cheekily - if very validly - made about a rear-wheel drive Porsche currently holding the Nurburgring production lap record. Ahead of a four-wheel drive Lamborghini.

So what about turbos in GT cars? Or hybrid systems? Neither seems especially likely for now, Dr Frank talking of what an asset the current 9,000rpm screamer is and how the GT cars typically haven't chased big power for their appeal - hopefully negating the need for a forced induction or hybrid boost. See the current 520hp GT3 RS battling with rivals typically boasting 600hp or more. Of the two it seems that Walliser is keener on the hybrid idea than turbo; the former allows the atmospheric engine to remain, plus the fact Porsche has experience of the tech with the 918 - still "the most emotional" car made by Porsche, apparently - and the 997 GT3 R Hybrid race car.

The more immediate news is also encouraging. He confirmed perhaps the worst-kept secret in the car world - that they are working on 718 GT cars - but also that the reintroduction of a manual GT3 has been a success. "Everyone lost their bets", with 70 per cent take up of the gearbox in the United States and at least a one in four opt-in for even the least popular markets. With that and an "unbelievable" amount of buyers plumping for the Touring package, it would seem that the message has got through loud and clear about the buying public's thoughts on manual GT3s. Jolly good.

With Walliser's move to a broader 911 role, it's unclear yet who will succeed him in his current position alongside Andreas Preuninger. Whatever the case, it looks like the foundations are in place for plenty more great Porsche sports cars for a little while yet. Bring on that new Cayman GT4... 

Link: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-porsche/porsches-dr-frank-walliser-ph-meets/39301

Smiley

Yeah, The 992 it´s too Good!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QPvffO1gs

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QPvffO1gs

Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

turbolite:
    Gauss:
    Porsche-Jeck:

So the new 992 is slower, which is disappointing.  The extra weight can not be compensated by the 8 gear Pdk or other gimmicks... 

...and to those comments before regarding same conditions etc rest assured that Timo Kluck and friends  did all rounds possible to get the time as far down as possible...

--

turbolite

The 7:22 of 991 GTS was perfomed with the P Zero Corsa , optional for 991 GTS . Pzero corsa, as performance , is positioned between normal Pzero (standard for Carrera S) and the semislick Trofeo R 

Pietrostone:
    turbolite:
    Gauss:
    Porsche-Jeck:

--

turbolite

The 7:22 of 991 GTS was perfomed with the P Zero Corsa , optional for 991 GTS . Pzero corsa, as performance , is positioned between normal Pzero (standard for Carrera S) and the semislick Trofeo R 

991.2 GTS time at Ring with standard P zero tyres was 7:26 

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108387_porsche-to-offer-track-focused-20-inch-tire-for-911 

Some pics of 992 next to 991.2

48314817_2513809348645534_7994094264357224448_o.jpg48358954_2513809395312196_9030143249209098240_o.jpg

--

154497009751648363481_2513809495312186_794825084429664256_o.jpg

--

Thanks.  Amazing how the design integration of the dark rear window and grill lowers and lengthens the rear.  Combined with the wider hips and horizontal light strip, the effect is a very aggressive look. Not sure I like the wide black open space around the exhaust and underside, but that’s certainly a matter of taste.  

A few pics of 992 Cab....hmm...the Cab tray cut doesn't look so harmonic with the 992 rear spoiler design

porsche-911-cabrio-009.jpgporsche-911-cabrio-008.jpgporsche-911-cabrio-007.jpgporsche-911-cabrio-006.jpgporsche-911-cabrio-004.jpg

--

Striking comparison of rear designs.  Continuation of rear glass and grill—which helps the coupe—is interrupted on the cab. The result is that the cab rear looks humpy, not smooth and continuous.

Nice pics thanks. Was driving quite a while in town behind a new Panamera yesterday. Nice car but somehow the lightstrip is disturbingly similar to the 992. Actually it felt as if it was identical. Almost like the mask of the ‘The Incredibles’ 😂

--

turbolite

I like the black with the silver wheels and silver trim around the windows!

991GT3Touring_04.jpg

Sorry guys, posted the wrong link in my last post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx6s28TL6HQ

Video is in Portuguese.

--

I would not be caught dead in that cab!!!!

they clearly build the coupe without realizing what the cab was going to turn into.  Feel sorry for the guy who had to design the cab out of the coupe. Impossible task. I can not them selling any of those cabs. Zero. Wow that is ugly. From every direction or perspective. Fugly. Oh my god. Never that opposed to anything that strongly. Throwing up in my mouth. End of rant. Can we ban pictures of the 992 cab?  Seems totally reasonable. 

Here's one more review:

https://youtu.be/sdDzXR1aOsc

--

Leawood911:

I would not be caught dead in that cab!!!!

they clearly build the coupe without realizing what the cab was going to turn into.  Feel sorry for the guy who had to design the cab out of the coupe. Impossible task. I can not them selling any of those cabs. Zero. Wow that is ugly. From every direction or perspective. Fugly. Oh my god. Never that opposed to anything that strongly. Throwing up in my mouth. End of rant. Can we ban pictures of the 992 cab?  Seems totally reasonable. 

Lol... can you tell us how you really feel? Smiley  OTOH, maybe your snobby KC dealer will have dozens of them unsold, and you can get one at 60% discount...Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

A few more pictures of the 992 Cabriolet, as requested... 

...how do you like them apples?  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661803 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401098 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254579 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229113 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59464 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853439 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761687 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM