Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 964 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design

Porsche 911 Singer DLS 4.0 naturally-aspirated air-cooled flat-six driven up the hill at Goodwood...

Video Link: https://youtu.be/aLlEgTyGpg0

...turn up the volume! Smiley

I have been driving London extensively (by my standards Smiley) over the past couple of weeks as we enjoy an extended summer here. What a joy this car is. it reminded me to post some more Goodwood shots, this time by @actcreative

1538944806209Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg

What a beautiful machine and wonderful pictures.  You can even make out the grin on the passenger’s face going up the hill, fantastic.

Fantatic and brave spec you have decided on, really cool!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Such a beauty .  That red is the best there is . 

This car would be my ultimate DD .

Crayphile, can you say a bit more about the driving pleasure ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

crayphile:

I have been driving London extensively (by my standards Smiley) over the past couple of weeks as we enjoy an extended summer here. What a joy this car is. it reminded me to post some more Goodwood shots, this time by @actcreative

1538944806209Unknown.jpegUnknown-1.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg

Man, I love that car so much! Absolutely stunning Cray, thanks for posting!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

crayphile:

Unknown-2.jpeg

The line between art and machine is so so blurred here, stunning car !  

Gnil:

Crayphile, can you say a bit more about the driving pleasure ? 

1. Unrivalled music and oomph from the uprated air-cooled engine.
    2. Completely unassisted steering with extraordinary transmission of driver inputs to responses from the car. Truly "Man & Machine at one with each other".
    3. Completely stable rear end at any sensible road speed which gives the driver complete confidence in corners along with excellent brakes when you need them.
    4. Oh, and did I mention its manual Smiley.

kiss Sounds all good to me !  Since the beginning of summer I have been using my 964 as my DD . The PDK car sits in the garage .

Ideally I would need to do some major upgrades on the car but I can't come to do it as there the AWD that keeps me from investing in the car . Otherwise , I just love the manual , the reasonable power , the small size 

--

Great photos, enjoy. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Chris Harris in-car video driving the Porsche 911 Singer WIlliams air-cooled DLS in development testing...

1539435478770image.jpeg

Video Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoJpcizn5LQ/?taken-by=harrismonkey

...turn up the volume! Smiley

1539435973827image.jpeg

Smiley Smiley Smiley 

Nuts. In a good way.

Ferdie:

Nuts. In a good way.

Where there is a market and money... Smiley Clever and exciting. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

1544220853001image.jpeg

"This is Singer’s vision of an ultimate, air-cooled 964-generation Porsche 911. It has been developed in collaboration with Williams Advanced Engineering, and it is quite amazing."

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-magazine/plan-your-2019-tg-mags-free-calendar#4

Singer 911...

1561873779493image.jpeg

Smiley

Gorgeous!

kiss

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Rob Dickinson explains how Hans Mezger and Norbert Singer contributed to their DLS masterpiece...

(10 August 2019)

Singer Vehicle Design will celebrate its tenth anniversary at Monterey Car Week in California this month, where it'll once again display its Dynamics and Lightweighting Study show car at Monterey, a little over a year after it was first unveiled at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

When I sat down with company founder Rob Dickinson and managing director Maz Fawaz at Goodwood this year, they told me the first customer cars will be delivered before 2019 is out. The pair also spoke at length about how difficult it was to make the numbers add up, even though the $1.8m asking price looks enormous and 75 cars are being sold. But the part of the conversation that stayed with me didn't concern delivery dates or profit margins, rather the input of a couple of German fellows who know a thing or two about Porsches.

Reducing Hans Mezger and Norbert Singer's careers to a single sentence is a bit like explaining the big bang theory in a tweet. Which bits do you leave out? The latter arguably deserves more credit for Porsche's record 19 victories at Le Mans than any other individual. The former, meanwhile, led the design and development of the 917's flat-12 engine, as well as the flat-six that first powered the 911 GT1 to Le Mans victory in 1998 and would later be found in the rear of the first two generations of 911 GT3 and GT3 RS.

"It was my idea to contact those guys," says Rob. "I thought we couldn't do something like this [the Dynamics and Lightweighting Study] and not let the two dudes who had most to do with the air-cooled 911 know what we were up to. It seemed perverse not to. Through a lot of hard work we got through to them and they took us seriously. Yes, there was a sense it'd be good for us if we could say these guys had put their flinty eye over our car. But also, they're not going to be around forever and we wanted them to be included." And why not?

Dickinson's company is named after all, at least in part, in tribute to the legendary Porsche engineer.

Initially, the Singer Vehicle Design team visited the pair near Stuttgart for preliminary meetings. Later on, they flew Singer and Mezger to the UK and took them to Williams Advanced Engineering, Singer Vehicle Design's technical partner on the project. "They met Frank for the first time in 25 years, we proved there were some adults in the room and after that I think they felt this was a proper endeavour," comments Rob.

There are many ways in which the Dynamics and Lightweighting Study breaks new ground for air-cooled 911s. It has a custom double-wishbone front suspension arrangement, for instance, rather than simple struts. And following substantial reconfiguration, its ducktail spoiler actually produces meaningful downforce, rather than the modest amount it did in period. Perhaps most ambitiously, though, the car's engine, which is still air-cooled, features four-valve heads. That's a first for a 911. Mezger and his engineering colleagues considered the four-valve head concept several decades ago, but abandoned the project when they realised how expensive and time consuming it would be.

"They had spent a lot of time on it but never actually tried to build one," says Maz. "We'd heard a rumour it couldn't actually be done. Hans turned up to our first meeting with a leather folder full of drawings." Mezger, it turned out, was somewhat incredulous. "Yes, we tried this," says Rob in a staged German accent, mimicking the engine guru. "We abandoned it, it's stupid. Why do you want to do this?"

If you're very close to something or someone iconic, you can't possibly understand the extent to which that thing or person is idolised. To you, it's just normal. There must be a law that describes exactly that. I think of it like this: Adrian Newey's son probably doesn't look up to his old man like he's some sort of deity, the way a lot of us would. That's just his dad. So it is with Hans Mezger and Norbert Singer, who have been far too close to the 911 throughout their careers to see why it is so revered. Rob believes so, at least. "What's interesting about these two guys," he says, "is that they're absolutely non-plussed about why anybody would want to dick around with a 911 like this. That's laying it on a bit thick but there was a sense of, 'Why are you doing this? Go and do something more interesting than messing around with this ancient car.'"

"Hans seemed kind of stressed by the idea," adds Maz. "It definitely brought some stress into his life. Not Norbert: he was quite entertained by the whole thing." As a case in point, Mezger didn't see why Singer Vehicle Design wouldn't simply run water through the car's engine: after all, it'd solve all their problems. But the engine would no longer be air-cooled and for Rob and Maz, both of them hopeless early 911 evangelists, that was non-negotiable. Whereas engineers tend not to romanticise these things, enthusiasts cannot help themselves.

So what input did the two old timers actually have? "They gave us some important shortcuts at the beginning of the project," says Maz. "They told us exactly what problems we would have. And they were right about everything. What Norbert had to say about aerodynamics was really evident in our computational fluid dynamics. Most of the airflow at the back of an old 911 goes over the top of the ducktail spoiler, exactly like Norbert said." Using modern techniques and present-day understanding - which, of course, weren't available to Porsche five decades ago - Singer Vehicle Design and Williams were able to get the ducktail working.

For Rob, however, it wasn't Norbert Singer's input that was invaluable, but his seal of approval. "When Norbert saw the finished car," remembers Rob, almost misty-eyed, "he said to me, 'Well, it's perfect.' I kid you not, he said it was perfect. I picked myself up off the floor, then Norbert walked over to the car, took a few photographs of the engine, of the spoiler, and said, 'I'll see you again.' It was one of the best moments of my life."

Link:  https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/singer-vehicle-design--ph-meets-part-ii/40742

Smiley 

Porsche 911 DLS by Singer at Goodwood...

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHOjkVDFvhI

Smiley

just fantastic how those guys pick up the two old boys to build this thing! 
    I can't wait to see the final final result!
    Anyone on the waiting list?  smiley

Here are some shots of London from when it was used at the launch of the Phillips gallery (for watches) recently. Singer Reimagined watches are part of the gallery. Enjoy..

ACT_0552_5964_HR.jpgACT_0552_3698_HR.jpgACT_0552_3700_HR.jpgACT_0552_3664_HR.jpgACT_0552_3737_HR.jpg

SmileySmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

kiss Spectacular! 

That's pretty awesome man!
    How does that work? Do you get a phonecall from Singer asking whether they may use the car for such purposes? And why is that something you as an owner would want? I guess every time you lend your car for these kind of purposes, there are risks of people sitting in it, damaging it, etc...

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

How does that work? Do you get a phonecall from Singer asking whether they may use the car for such purposes? And why is that something you as an owner would want? I guess every time you lend your car for these kind of purposes, there are risks of people sitting in it, damaging it, etc...

Yes  - that's how it works. They take good care of it in my experience (so far !) .

The expression of these women says it all indecision

I like the watch too 

--

Gnil:

The expression of these women says it all 

My thought as well. Great car, have to say it has grown more and more on me. Very timeless and of universal appreciation.

Cray, how is your ownership experience so far? I mean, when it is not on display. indecision

If only Singers uses PDK.................

Then they will literally be perfect.

--

Whoopsy:

It would have to be Sport-o-Matic. Smiley

And PDK in that car would be heart wrenching and un-understandable. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Whoopsy:

Holy sh*#! I thought Whoopsy is posting again...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662485 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401277 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229246 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59619 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853564 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761989 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM