Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Dr Walliser has a new job.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/company/porsche-mr-911-august-achleitner-vice-president-product-line-frank-steffen-walliser-1653...

The last 2 projects he headed both turned gold. The 918 project is a huge success and the GT Motorsport department also, the wins at Le Mans and great success in selling race cars and street GT cars. 

From January onwards Walliser will oversees the most important range in Porsche, the 911 range. 

--

Re: Dr Walliser has a new job.

good news, maybe the 911 (non-GT's) will get sportier with Walliser... one can only dream...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Sounds like a big promotion for Walliser, reporting directly to the CEO.

But GT cars are now organisationally separate from Motorsport...

Carlos from Spain:

good news, maybe the 911 (non-GT's) will get sportier with Walliser... one can only dream...

Isn't that what the GTS is supposed to address? The core offering needs to remain mainstream and too "soft" for a Rennteam audience.

crayphile:
    Carlos from Spain:

Isn't that what the GTS is supposed to address? The core offering needs to remain mainstream and too "soft" for a Rennteam audience.

But IMO GTS doesn't really address it, it goes deeper than a few options that the GTS has, the non GT 911 are getting less and less sporty in general in the last years, the new 992 interior is another example.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

They jacked up the price of the Turbo since the 991.1 in relation to the 4S, hence the GTS to fill in that void.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    crayphile:
    Carlos from Spain:

But IMO GTS doesn't really address it, it goes deeper than a few options that the GTS has, the non GT 911 are getting less and less sporty in general in the last years, the new 992 interior is another example.

That applies to the latest GT cars too. No problem having one of the GT cars as daily driver. They have never been easier to drive with automatic transmission, electronic nannies and front lift. Faaar away from an analogue and mechanical 996 GT3 RS.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Fully agree. My former 996 GT3 was raw as hell, very far from the current GT3. All 911s have evolved to the soft, multidimensional side. And the 992 will be faster than many GT3s.... this is called progress.

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

bluelines:
    That applies to the latest GT cars too. No problem having one of the GT cars as daily driver. They have never been easier to drive with automatic transmission, electronic nannies and front lift. Faaar away from an analogue and mechanical 996 GT3 RS.

True, but as the whole range is getting ' softer ' , much more confortable , where does it bring the Carrera ? Into SLS territory Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

I'm very interested to see who becomes the permanent  head of Porsche Motorsport. Seidl has left to go to F1 (once Porsche decided not to do so) and Enzinger is only there temporarily. Seidl leaving is a great loss and I suspect does not forecast anything very exciting coming out of Flacht beyond GT and FE in the foreseeable future.

You may well be right about that, but don't forget, strategy is set by the board and not by the likes of Enzinger, Seidl or  Walliser. So the future of Motorsport is just an extension of their strategic decisions, hence the focus on GT and FE.

Apart from that, my sense is that Enzinger as head of LMP1 and Walliser as head of GT and (GT) Motorsport were not exactly the closest of pals...how well they will cooperate to align GT road cars and GT race cars in the future remains to be seen.

Agreed! My comments were more in line with the following:

As Porsche (i.e. "the board") "allowed" Seidl to leave , they seem to not have any future plans that require a highly experienced and successful racing engineer/ team boss. This tells me that their focus will be on current GT and FE (much to my chagrin ). Very sad. but such is life.

Whoopsy:

They jacked up the price of the Turbo since the 991.1 in relation to the 4S, hence the GTS to fill in that void.

I expect an even bigger price raise for the next 992 Turbo S... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

And when will we be able to order it?

crayphile:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

And when will we be able to order it?

Turbo S is expected for 2020, don't have any details yet, not even if that rumored mild hybrid will finally be used in the final car (I assume yes because this car is supposed to do 0-100 kph in 2.5 seconds flat).

There was a rumor about a late 2019 introduction but I think it is very unlikely.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Whoopsy we are two of the most excited people on earth about this development.  Ok and maybe Frank, too.

One of the very best automotive engineers alive.

Guest:

Whoopsy we are two of the most excited people on earth about this development.  Ok and maybe Frank, too.

Hehe perhaps.

Frank always love challenges, this will be one of his biggest challenge to date.

He was responsible for the successful RS Spyder racing program, and then he got 'picked' to to go to the 918 program.

For the 918 program, he was called in to 'salvage' it, he didn't just to that, he made it the star of the company.

He got rewarded to right the ship in the racing program next. campaigned successfully with the 919 hybrid and put the RS program on the right track. And also head the street car side with the GT car program, which he successfully cranked out the excellent GT3s, GT3RSs GT2RS and even the 911R. Not to mention the GT4 which also ended up with a successful GT4 Clubsport program. 

Now he goes back full time to the street car side and take on the 911 range. I wonder what he got up his sleeves. 

Hybrids is the first I can think of, he is quite good at doing that by now. Smiley

--

By heading all 911 and not just the GT cars, he might find a way to fit the holy grail of a rear seat PDK GT3 Touring without killing GTS and TT sales... Maybe... But anyone smart enough here already know the answer: raise massively the price of GT cars to finally meet demand.

Actually the holy grail 911 would be a 911 Turbo S Targa. 

Actually scratch that, a GT2RS Targa with back seat. 

Even better would be the Turbo S engine inside a Boxster.

I also wanted a 2 seat Panamera Turbo S, with the hybrid stuff.

A 680HP Macan hybrid would also be nice too, fit the V8 from the Cayenne and the hybrid system and all.

A off road version of the 911, should also be good, with the Turbo S motor.

--

Great ideas. Porsche should let customers do they own versions, for a price.

Whoopsy:
    Guest:

Hehe perhaps.

Frank always love challenges, this will be one of his biggest challenge to date.

He was responsible for the successful RS Spyder racing program, and then he got 'picked' to to go to the 918 program.

For the 918 program, he was called in to 'salvage' it, he didn't just to that, he made it the star of the company.

He got rewarded to right the ship in the racing program next. campaigned successfully with the 919 hybrid and put the RS program on the right track. And also head the street car side with the GT car program, which he successfully cranked out the excellent GT3s, GT3RSs GT2RS and even the 911R. Not to mention the GT4 which also ended up with a successful GT4 Clubsport program. 

Now he goes back full time to the street car side and take on the 911 range. I wonder what he got up his sleeves. 

Hybrids is the first I can think of, he is quite good at doing that by now. Smiley

I asked him to sign the hood of my GT3 on the Friday of Rennsport; he agreed, but suggested we do it Saturday.  As you know, Rennsport was a total zoo, and we didn't cross paths on Saturday.

I bumped into him on the grid at Petit Le Mans a few weeks later:

"Is your car here?" 

"Yes"

"Ok, I'll sign it after the race"

Bumped into him again in the bathroom of the VIP tent during the lunch hour; fortunately my car was right outside so he signed it then.

Had a beer with him, Tandy, and Pilet that night after they won.

Whoopsy:

.... campaigned successfully with the 919 hybrid and put the RS program on the right track.

Don't get me wrong Whoopsy. I love and respect Dr. Walliser, but how did he campaign successfully with the 919? As far as I know the LMP1 project was completely separate (even seperate offices) from the normal Porsche Motorsport. It was started and headed by Fritz Enzinger and later Siedl

Walliser did not run the 919 program, Enzinger/Seidl did, reporting directly to the board member in charge of R&D, the now disgraced Wolfgang Hatz. LMP1/919 and GT Motorsport were completely separate.

Spyderidol:
    Whoopsy:

.... campaigned successfully with the 919 hybrid and put the RS program on the right track.

Don't get me wrong Whoopsy. I love and respect Dr. Walliser, but how did he campaign successfully with the 919? As far as I know the LMP1 project was completely separate (even seperate offices) from the normal Porsche Motorsport. It was started and headed by Fritz Enzinger and later Siedl

He was appointed Vice President of Porsche Motorsport, aka head of Porsche Motorsport Oct 2014, replacing Harmut Kristen who was retiring. The LMP1 program runs under the general umbrella of the Porsche Motorsport banner, while a separate program, Fritz Enzinger technically is out ranked by Frank Walliser at that time, so:

He was still pretty much the racing boss down in the pits..........

But yes, his primary responsibility was the RSR cars, GT3Rs, basically GT racing. 

But now that Frank has moved onto the 911 program, Fritz is being promoted to take over Frank's old job as head of Porsche Motorsport.

It's a bit of a mess to sort of the responsibilities and ranking right now, as Frank while promoted, is still in charge of the GT road car program. And he also kept the title of project manager of the 918 program, which hasn't officially gone away.

--

Whoopsy:
    Fritz Enzinger technically is out ranked by Frank Walliser at that time, so:

Im not sure about that. Enzinger was Vice President (same rank as Walliser) for Porsche Motorsport LMP1.

I remember at the time it was quite a confusion and many journalists inquired about the chain of command. I think I remember reading that Enzinger , like Walliser reported to the CEO (this after Enzinger first reported to Wolfgang Hatz that was a board member in charge of R&D)

Also - Fritz Enzinger is currently Head of Group Motorsport (Wolfgang Dürheimer 's old job) and is only temporarily  filling the gap created with Walliser's promotion

Spyderidol is spot on.

Enzinger never reported to Walliser and was not outranked by him either. Enzinger ran the LMP1 project with an F1 style budget, hence it was the top focus of Porsche‘s motorsport activities.

Walliser never had any say in it. His job was to breath new life into the 911 RSR, despite its conceptual drawbacks...which he did, and quite sucessfully so in the end.

olli:

Spyderidol is spot on.

Enzinger never reported to Walliser and was not outranked by him either. Enzinger ran the LMP1 project with an F1 style budget, hence it was the top focus of Porsche‘s motorsport activities.

Walliser never had any say in it. His job was to breath new life into the 911 RSR, despite its conceptual drawbacks...which he did, and quite sucessfully so in the end.

Enzinger reports directly to Müller (VW boss) now as far as I know...which is huge. He also collaborates directly with his counterparts at Lamborghini, Audi, etc. and supersedes them, basically being the boss for Volkswagen Group motorsports. Walliser has nothing to do with it.  

--

Used to be Müller, now to Diess, the new CEO.

Spyderidol:
    Whoopsy:

Im not sure about that. Enzinger was Vice President (same rank as Walliser) for Porsche Motorsport LMP1.

I remember at the time it was quite a confusion and many journalists inquired about the chain of command. I think I remember reading that Enzinger , like Walliser reported to the CEO (this after Enzinger first reported to Wolfgang Hatz that was a board member in charge of R&D)

Also - Fritz Enzinger is currently Head of Group Motorsport (Wolfgang Dürheimer 's old job) and is only temporarily  filling the gap created with Walliser's promotion

Enzinger was Vice President of Porsche Motorsport LMP1, Walliser was Vice President of Porsche Motorsport.

As I understands, I know Fritz doesn't report to Walliser, the Porsche Motorsport LMP1 still categorized under the Porsche Motorsport banner, even when it is ran independently. 

And yes, Enzinger was appointed head of the VAG Motorsport earlier in the year, which includes the whole VAG, not just Porsche. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:
    Whoopsy:

Enzinger was Vice President of Porsche Motorsport LMP1, Walliser was Vice President of Porsche Motorsport.

As I understands, I know Fritz doesn't report to Walliser, the Porsche Motorsport LMP1 still categorized under the Porsche Motorsport banner, even when it is ran independently. 

And yes, Enzinger was appointed head of the VAG Motorsport earlier in the year, which includes the whole VAG, not just Porsche. 

They were separate banners Whoopsy.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688055 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408494 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255458 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234684 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773066 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM