Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 992 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car

Josef:

I love head-up displays, I have it in my Mercedes, would not want the car without it anymore...

Funny, people either love or hate head-up displays. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

The new 992 is the best looking 911 since the 993 (imho), slightly better than the 997 which might have better proportions to my eyes (smaller) but the base Carrera isn't as cool as the new one.

I even love the interior (Braun shaver included which jokes aside is much better integrated than the now old PDK knob) . True, it might be too much for a sports car but I guess GT versions won't feel that elegant when dressed in CF.

Regarding the touchscreen, agree on that with all of you. This isn't the way to go in cars, the usability is limited to say the least. Developing a good Watson and operating absolute everything with voice commands would be ideal.

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

The problem with touch screens on vehicles is two find, one is the problem of the movement of the vehicle making it hard to hit the right button, but also that unlike physical buttons and nobs, you have to use your hand-eye coordination to direct the movent of your finger to hit the target, that takes a lot of concentration realstate for your brain, and while you are doing it you have to relinquish your awareness on driving for the duration and adjusting back to driving period since the brain cannot multitask those two tasks, that is why texting while driving is so dangerous. There is a reason race cars don't have touch screens and an F1 wheel is clouded with buttons, or a plain's cockpit. Unfortunately people are day by day getting more clueless about driving and more worried about doing other things while driving.

Well said, Carlos... Smiley This could be "compensated" by technology but nobody came up with a solution (so far). Probably not important enough for car manufacturers to "bother", especially since this wouldn't be something customers would really "experience" first hand. It would just "work" and this is not something people usually want to pay for. Smiley 

The solution is extremely simple. 

Make the virtual buttons physically move in and out to register a 'touch'. and segmented all the virtual buttons with ridges or gaps, making them individual buttons so one can feel them with touch only without looking. 

--

Apple is working on that kind of tech. If they can reproduce some of their previous feat, they would have 2-5 years head start on the tech...

from Autocar:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/new-992-series-porsche-911-mild-hybrid-and-plug-hybrid-versions-detailed

Batteries in the front trunk...

SciFrog:

Batteries in the front trunk...

...yes, but that way it "is expected to greatly improve the weight distribution"..... what a laugh!   New improved hybrid power, and thanks to the batteries, presto - your antiquated rear-heavy 911 is now balanced!  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

There were a couple avenues that they have explored. 

I have the general idea when I chatted with Walliser before discussing such a thing.

Now that he is the 911 Czar, he can implement them if he wishes.

--

Sport Desing Pack is now available...

iris_cde34a19aa8abb87043f242e1d49ce2f5c1c459d.jpgiris_1__e1dad1c039c9f6265e906dc238441e69f0429969.jpg

The partial paint job at the rear does it make look uglier than without the Sport Design. Unbelievable. mail

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Horrible at the back

in black it would be nice indecision

So much better from the front!

The front is back to normal with the painted slanted stalks separating the intakes so that is good, but how in the heck did they manage to make the rear ever worse in the sportdesign? is this how a 992 GTS going to look like? did't think it was possible but looks even more like a Panamera now mail

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Obviously Porsche design department is running out of ideas Smiley

I know everyone is raving about the front, but I'm not sure that I like it more than the "normal" version.

Im not sure what happened when they decided to design the rear, but whoever it was needs to urgently see an ophthalmologist and/or psychiatrist.

Not sure how much space the battery will occupy but wouldn't it be good to have it in the center in front of the gearbox?

Italo:

Thats exactly what I wrote here when E3 Cayenne came out...sooo disappointing design line...

--

dxpetrov:

So much better from the front!

Because it makes it look like a 991.2 GT3 smileykiss

--

Rossi:

The partial paint job at the rear does it make look uglier than without the Sport Design. Unbelievable. mail

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

SportCarGroup:
    Italo:

Thats exactly what I wrote here when E3 Cayenne came out...sooo disappointing design line...

Exactly! And then it continued with horrible Macan redesign! Smiley

I don't know, but lately it's quite symptomatic for all German manufacturers to lose there way! It's just too many unnecessary little details without any sense of function behind it! It's pure ornamentation, nothing else!

GIVE US BACK OUR BELOVED GERMAN TEUTONIC DESIGN LANGUAGE!

There are more than enough of Toyotas, Hondas, KIAs of this World!

I like the rear design in the photo, but I don’t like the cost of the overall  sport design package. Maybe side skirts, but the rest of the package is not worth it IMHO.

Yep; we've been in the baroque period of German design for some time now (not only cars, other products as well, e.g., new Braun shavers). It looks like we're now entering the rococo phase... Perhaps in a couple of decades, we will have another Buahaus like movement and get back to simple, clean, functional (and imho elegant) designs.

dxpetrov:

I don't know, but lately it's quite symptomatic for all German manufacturers to lose there way! It's just too many unnecessary little details without any sense of function behind it! It's pure ornamentation, nothing else!

GIVE US BACK OUR BELOVED GERMAN TEUTONIC DESIGN LANGUAGE!

There are more than enough of Toyotas, Hondas, KIAs of this World!

I feel the same way as you do. However, it is also a bit of hit and miss. For example, I think that BMW lost it a bit, they haven't brought out a single car lately which appeals to me, and they seem to have quite a lot of interest in general... I haven't heard anybody getting excited about the want factor of a BMW. On the other hand is Mercedes, which has also changed its design language dramatically with a lot of -in me eyes- unnecessary design frills. They seem to have become VERY popular though in the segment where people care about spectacular looks&design. (not me).

I guess Porsche is somewhere in the middle, and they are facing a VERY tough crowd to be honest, as Porsche fans are almost as fanatic as Ferrari fans, but then much more critical; where Ferrari fans seem to praise everything that comes out of Maranello, Porsche fans are always critical first... (again, in my experience).

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I think the problem is with design department management in general. The design crew became lazy and uncreative because of conduct. Design department always must work in conditions of competition. Be creative, fashion wise, practise wise etc. Apparently, the head of Porsche design department has low requirements and even lower expectations from the design crew...that's the result. IMHO yes

--

Carlos from Spain:

The front is back to normal with the painted slanted stalks separating the intakes so that is good, but how in the heck did they manage to make the rear ever worse in the sportdesign? is this how a 992 GTS going to look like? did't think it was possible but looks even more like a Panamera now mail

Totally agree with this...

--

‘18 991.2 GT3 Irish Green    ‘16 981 Spyder GT Silver                 There's no accounting for taste...

Joost:

I guess Porsche is somewhere in the middle, and they are facing a VERY tough crowd to be honest, as Porsche fans are almost as fanatic as Ferrari fans, but then much more critical; where Ferrari fans seem to praise everything that comes out of Maranello, Porsche fans are always critical first... (again, in my experience).

I guess you haven't read Ferrarichat much, if at all, then Smiley  A new Ferrari always polarises opinion. It is a carbon copy of the Porsche world with fans of certain models believing their car is the point at which the last beautiful Ferrari was made. That argument has raged over there for years especially on the mid engined V8 models.

Italians tend not to make such grotesque mistakes. Apart from completely wrong concepts to start with, like Alfa Stelvio...

See Fiat Multipla as a counter-argument.

CGX car nut:

See Fiat Multipla as a counter-argument.

Ouch...Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691157 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235429 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858874 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM