Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A best selling book titled "

THE SUBSTANCE OF STYLE should be made mandatory reading for Porsche executives. It really delineates the difference between Porsche, Ferrari, Lamb and Aston Martin as well as others.Here are a couple of excerpts:

Aesthetics, or styling has become an accepted
    unique selling point--on a global basis. Functionality still matters. But competition has pushed quality so high and prices so low that many manufacturers can no longer distinguish themselves with price and performance. In a crowed marketplace, aesthetics is often the only way to make a product standout. Quality and price may be absolutes, but tastes still vary, and not every manufacturer has already learned to make products that appeal to the senses." Porsche reverting to its old 993 styling and not distinguishing their cars seem to be violating this concept. They did improve fuctionality.

More importantly is the concept "making special" Here is what the author had to say on the subject;

A theorist defines art as making special a behavior designed to be ' sensorily and emotionally gratifying and more than strictly necessary (my emphasis) Making special is universal and innate a part of human beings evolved biological nature.

And here is the critical point having spent a century or more focused primarily on other goals---solving manufacturing problems, lowering costs, making goods and services widely available, increasing convenience, saving energy--we are increasing engaged in making our world special. More people in more aspects of life are drawing pleasure and meaning from the way their persons, places and thinks look and fell. Whenever we have a chance, were adding sensory, emotional appeal to function"

Exclusivity and specialness do matter and we all strive for it though some are loath to acknowledge that fact. Mass producing Porsches does not add to specialness. I provide these nuggets of wisdom to my friends at Porsche free of charge.

Re: A best selling book titled "

Nick,

You have driven a CGT on an extensive test-drive.
    In your opinion, do you consider it to be sensorially and emotionally gratifying? Please disregard your issue with the clutch and production numbers.

Have you driven a 996 GT3 at high rpms? If so, in your opinion, do you consider it to be sensorially and emotionally gratifying? Please disregard the production numbers, price tag, warranty disqualification due to track use.

Your 360 Spider F1. In your opinion, you do consider it to be sensorially and emotionally gratifying? Please disregard the production numbers, price tag, warranty enforcement despite track use.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    THE SUBSTANCE OF STYLE...

hmmm... is this a sportcar forum for performance oriented enthusiasts or did I hit the wrong link?
    WFT!? does that come free with a subscription to Poseur Weekly Magazine? :P

Tell it to this guy, I bet he's got "substance of style" as the main priority when buying a high-end sportcar

Quote:
    nberry said:Exclusivity and specialness do matter and we all strive for it though some are loath to acknowledge that fact. Mass producing Porsches does not add to specialness.

We got that point 1000 threads ago. You're getting really repetitive.

And boring.

Carlos, please tell me this is a photoshop job. PLEASE!
    This picture can't be real...NEVER.

That's just a piece of the picture, the big one is full of people like that.
    No, it's not Romania

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    THE SUBSTANCE OF STYLE...

hmmm... is this a sportcar forum for performance oriented enthusiasts or did I hit the wrong link?
    WFT!? does that come free with a subscription to Poseur Weekly Magazine? :P

Tell it to this guy, I bet he's got "substance of style" as the main priority when buying a high-end sportcar

I would like to know how it is that you have a picture of me. You did not have my permission to post it so please explain.

Porsche sells only functionality. Recently,the world has moved on. Just about everyone car manufacturer has improved functionality and quality. Porsche argument that they are the price performance leader is no longer true. Unless they change they will die just like the Hamilton Watch Company.

What could be more relevant?

Quote:
    ...Porsche sells only functionality. Recently,the world has moved on....

This is pathetic. The buffoon is back!

Oh...Nick... instead of The Substance of Style, go out and buy yourself The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition
    by William Strunk Jr., E.B. White, Roger Angell
    . It will help you improve your writing skills.

The picture is real RC as brunner says... I know, I know, it took me a while to asimilate it too at least the is no risk of anyone trying to jank away the cross and steal it with that chain, just don't try to swim with that thing cause your going straight down

Nick, not the whole world has moved on, only certain people's world. The "sport" in SportCars is by nature an expression of a function, so the manufaturer that best taps into that function is what matters to me and the other real sportcar enthusiasts. For others, sportcars are not about their function and effectiveness but are a "style statement" they "wear" and you know what that is called...

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Hey man, it doesn't matter how fast you can go, if you don't do it in STYLE.
    You really need to brush up your watch wearing skills

DAMN!
    It just hit me!
    I know now why nick says the 997 won't sell.
    Why, you say? Well, it's got a Sport button, but sadly, no Style button

Friends, nick has got a good point on style and "specialness" in general and i agree with the excerpts very much. But here is where nick doesn't apply those true thoughts correctly.
    The specialness and style of ferrari is MOSTLY due to the way in which they sell their product butNOT the product itself. We touched on this the other day in another thread about marketing. The image of ferrari is created by its marketing, its clubby buying rites, and even the snobby salesmen. This appeals to a certain crowd and they happily pay the what i call "heritage premium" on those cars.

I mean come on, except for the 360 which is a real winner, the enzo is fugly and the maranello looks like an f-body gm product. There was a great magazine article posted a while back of a brit car magazine comparing the maranello, vanquish, 996turbo, and something else. The bottom line was 996 turbo for performance and #2 overall, the vanquish #1 because of its' "specialness" and the maranello LAST. They added the comment is ferrari kidding with this price!!! The bottom line is ferrari buyers have a mindset that ferrari understands with limited production, "special" models ooooohhhhhh, and silly pricing. Its the niles crane syndrome.

Porsche does need to adopt more of this in their products and they have made a start with, ironically, the cgt. The specialness and style are there. Probably the most important specialness factor for cars is SOUND inside and outside the cabin, hence the vanquish win in the mag. SOUND is what makes the owner feel that specialness. Thats why ferrari drivers talk about that visceral feel to a drive in their cars. The cgt has that and if not for the clutch would be on its way to leading porsche in that direction.
    Tom

Carlos,

Tell more about this picture. Who are the men behing this guy? Who is the guy himself? At least we will learn somethingon this thread Nick started

Unfortunately I don't know more about the picture maybe brunner?

Nope
    All i know is that it's bigger and full of idiots.
    I know that style, though. Typical to gypsie bosses, sleazy folks 'ruling' neighbourhoods, stuff like that.
    Easter Europe
    (the pic i taken somewhere in Czechia, i believe)

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:Exclusivity and specialness do matter and we all strive for it though some are loath to acknowledge that fact. Mass producing Porsches does not add to specialness.

We got that point 1000 threads ago. You're getting really repetitive.

And boring.

Brunner, you are exaggerating. Nick had only made 548 previous posts.

I agree, though, that they were all trying to make the same point, therefore repetitive, and boring!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Exclusivity and specialness do matter and we all strive for it though some are loath to acknowledge that fact.

Nick, ... there you go again!

I think you're trying to project your personal psychographics onto the rest of us.

Here's a Likert scale to see how we all might fit:

1) Agoraphobic

2) Modest

3) Exhibitionist

4) Ferraristi

5) Nick

Suggestions? Modifications?

lol...I respect Ferrari...and I also respect Porsche...

I just respect Porsche a bit more since the 996 was gorgeous and the Carrera GT is the greatest car ever built

As for the 997

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Exclusivity and specialness do matter and we all strive for it though some are loath to acknowledge that fact.

Nick, ... there you go again!

I think you're trying to project your personal psychographics onto the rest of us.

Here's a Likert scale to see how we all might fit:

1) Agoraphobic

2) Modest

3) Exhibitionist

4) Ferraristi

5) Nick

Suggestions? Modifications?

Mike what is amusing in all of this is the CGT is the exact type of car Porsche should be building as it moves into the 21st century. People want their possessions to be special otherwise you would not be buying a CGT. You certainly can afford to modify any car you like and have it perform as well if not better than the CGT.

You did not because Porsche marketed this car as being VERY SPECIAL and you had the resources to be able to obtain it. I compliment you on wanting to own something VERY SPECIAL. You are no different than the rest of the population including me. Thus you fit in with me on the Likert scale. Welcome and I embrace you.

Actually Porsche still distinguishes itself on the price performance side of things. Sure you can buy a Noble for less cash than a GT3 and lap faster on the track. However, where are you going to have your Noble serviced and which car do you think is going to be more reliable? There's a saying about performance cars that makes a lot of sense: pick any two: price, speed, reliability. Porsche offers a combination of these 3 things that I don't think is matched by other manufactures. The GT3 and Turbo models are faster that most cars on the planet (as well as many more expensive cars), yet are reliable enough for daily driving. If you make them more exclusive you'll destroy the initial cost and maintenance advantage that Porsche has on Ferrari. I like cars I can enjoy day in and day out. It's much more important than the things you mentioned above.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM