Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 Thread Closed

Carlos from Spain:
    The GT3 is not really a sensible option for a daily with the amount of Km I drive it not use. .

Carlos - the GT3 is the right car for you (if you won't miss the rear seats too much).  Yes, lots of km will cause more depreciation.  But still much less depreciation than any other Porsche.  With the nose lift, the GT3 is totally practical as a daily driver (with either manual or pdk).

This motor was supposedly built for 300k km without any valve adjustments (you can be the tester to see if this is true Smiley)

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Like Carlos though I need the rear seats. It's an absolute for me. Can't have a car without having the ability to have my kids in it. The GT3 touring with rear seats would be the perfect car for me. I still don't understand how they could have made it without them. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Is the 992 due to be unveiled november 27th at LA private event? Someone on RL said

Their dealer confirmed 27th with configurator coming live.

I have full faith in whoopsys Intel. Just wondering if anything has changed.

I am most interested in seeing the GT4 road car if it comes to LA.

Thanks! 

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

Normally aspirated will be forgotten like air-cooled has been forgotten.

Not by customer demand but rather because of imposed legislation restrictions. Why do you think the GT3 /RS, the most sought after 911 variants, are still NA and Porsche is doing everything they can to keep it that way?

IMO for a daily car with a 911 size of n/a engine the torque of turbocharging is more useful than the high revs of the n/a engine.

Useful? its a sportscar, not a people mover. I have been using one daily for almost 20 years and would not trade some torque for the engine responsiveness, reving character and sound.

Sure the crescendo when  revving the n/a engine high is nice but low down torque counts for more in daily drives plus you can be faster more easily.

Again, for people movers sure, but if you use a sportscar for daily it is not because you want to prioritize confort and easy driving, it is because you want to enjoy sportiness every time you must drive and loathe wasting in a people mover.

I can see your preference which coincides with many others and it has its reasoning.

But turbo engines are already everywhere, not only in practical people movers but also in performance cars, sportscars, hypercars and racing cars. They are suitable for everything and Porsche knows its turbocharging very well.

It is not only Regulation but also because the performance/Horsepower bar has been raised very high by competition (500-520 HP is not a lot in that category)  and to stay in touch you either need a huge capacity multi cylinder engine (not feasible to fit in a sports Porsche) or a forced induction engine of a lower size. GT3 models will be the last to go turbo, but already the GT2 is a good indicator of what can be achieved in the GT series with turbocharging.

Moreover, Porsche need the extra power of turbocharging for their GT racing programmes (WEC, IMSA etc) if they are to dominate these series again. In that case their homologation road cars will have to be turbo.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

4trac:
    Carlos from Spain:
    4trac:
    Carlos from Spain:

Carlos, are you coming to any conclusions re. a replacement path for your 991 in all of this 992 news?  At your famous rate of accumulating km, you will be well over 100k soon if not already, and I never see you in (oh, lets just say) an R8....Smiley

I'm afraid I'm at a loss right now, the small turbocharged engine would be a significant step back for me, sure it has more power but few instances I would really take full advantage of it if we stop to think about it, it is not a track car, on a commute or mountain road driving I wouldn't be any slower, yet I would loose significantly in terms of enjoyment and experience due to the the throttle directness and engine reving NA character, and the engine soundtrack. That I use 100% of the time. While Porsche did a fantastic job reducing those aspects in the 3.0LTurbo, they are still noticeable, especially for someone coming from the 3.8L NA. Just the sound is a big difference.

I don't see any groundbreaking changes in the 992 to compensate for that, so for the first time in almost 20 years of driving a 911 daily, I don't have an option available yet for when I change 911. The GT3 is not really a sensible option for a daily with the amount of Km I drive it not use. .

Outside Porche I see no options that will improve my experience, an R8 has a great NA engine but it is too flashy, and not a daily driver. Also I want rear seats, I  rarely use them but I guess its a psychological thing that I want them.

The good thing is that the  991.1 GTS is the best 911 I ever owned, actually the best have ever driven for daily & weekend combo usage. So I really enjoy it and have no urgency of trading it in for another one, but I put a lot of miles on it an won't last for ever.

Fortunately, it has been rock solid and reliable, it has almost 90,000Km and feels like new, looks new as well save for the stone chips of those miles.So I'm not motivated to change by that aspect either.

I guess I'll  wind up with a turbocharged 992 GTS at sometime, don't see a hybrid-NA 992 on the horizon coming soon enough, so instead of trying to trade-up as soon as possible, this time I will post-pone it as much as I can.

Thanks Carlos - that is pretty much what I thought you would say based on your various comments on the .2 variants.   I agree on the weakness of the 3 litre turbo models, there is a spot in the rev range where it just feels like a small displacement engine, and that kills it.  (and I recently noticed that both Harry Metcalfe and Chris Harris voiced similar grumbles in their reviews). GT lineup is also out for the same reasons as you.  What we are doing is re-considering our assumption that the full Turbo should not be considered; a recent test drive impressed with not just the expected low-rpm torque, but Porsche have been quietly improving steering feel, sound, PDK shift speed, and overall engagement compared to past versions.  Don't "need" AWD but it may allow another 4 months of use in our country.  I would say the Turbo is no longer just about endless power... seriously considering doing one before the (larger?  hybrid?) 992 Turbo is out.  

We seem to be in a similar situation, I agree that the 911 3.8L Turbo is a different concept, one where turbocharging makes full sense, the 3.0L is a bit of neither fully the NA in character and sound and nor Turbo in actual torque and power, so if there is no NA version available and one must go turbocharged, going full Turbo may make more sense. The only reservation I would have for the Turbo is that it's setup may not be as sporty as the small turbo GTS, and for some reason Porsche makes it sound even less sporty. Haven't tested a late Turbo though, wonder how the 992 is going to be like, but it may be better than a 992GTS, I won't discard that option either.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    The GT3 is not really a sensible option for a daily with the amount of Km I drive it not use. .

Carlos - the GT3 is the right car for you (if you won't miss the rear seats too much).  Yes, lots of km will cause more depreciation.  But still much less depreciation than any other Porsche.  With the nose lift, the GT3 is totally practical as a daily driver (with either manual or pdk).

This motor was supposedly built for 300k km without any valve adjustments (you can be the tester to see if this is true Smiley)

It is after all my favorite in the line up, the GT3 is right up my alley in how I like a 911 to drive, but I chose the GTS because for my use its the better overall compromise. Now that it is the only NA and a no wing version, it is even more appealing! but oil consumption, maintenance, tire options, etc.I don't think its made for the use I make of it, if I was able to have two 911's my weekend would be a manual GT3, but I can't.

And I need rear seats, don't use them often but I wouldn't give up the occasions that I do use them.

My heart says yes! but my brain is more cautious Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

And I need rear seats, don't use them often but I wouldn't give up the occasions that I do use them.

That's why we need multiple cars for different driving occasions if situation permits Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

reginos:
    Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

Not by customer demand but rather because of imposed legislation restrictions. Why do you think the GT3 /RS, the most sought after 911 variants, are still NA and Porsche is doing everything they can to keep it that way?

IMO for a daily car with a 911 size of n/a engine the torque of turbocharging is more useful than the high revs of the n/a engine.

Useful? its a sportscar, not a people mover. I have been using one daily for almost 20 years and would not trade some torque for the engine responsiveness, reving character and sound.

Sure the crescendo when  revving the n/a engine high is nice but low down torque counts for more in daily drives plus you can be faster more easily.

Again, for people movers sure, but if you use a sportscar for daily it is not because you want to prioritize confort and easy driving, it is because you want to enjoy sportiness every time you must drive and loathe wasting in a people mover.

I can see your preference which coincides with many others and it has its reasoning.

But turbo engines are already everywhere, not only in practical people movers but also in performance cars, sportscars, hypercars and racing cars. They are suitable for everything and Porsche knows its turbocharging very well.

It is not only Regulation but also because the performance/Horsepower bar has been raised very high by competition (500-520 HP is not a lot in that category)  and to stay in touch you either need a huge capacity multi cylinder engine (not feasible to fit in a sports Porsche) or a forced induction engine of a lower size. GT3 models will be the last to go turbo, but already the GT2 is a good indicator of what can be achieved in the GT series with turbocharging.

Moreover, Porsche need the extra power of turbocharging for their GT racing programmes (WEC, IMSA etc) if they are to dominate these series again. In that case their homologation road cars will have to be turbo.

I see no problem in big turbo engines for high HP output, like the 991 Turbo, its the use of a downsized turbo to substitute the NA. Even so I would take the Huracan/R8 NA engine over a turbocharged rivals any day, though I see its limitations in extreme performance, and why the GT2RS needs to be turbo to be what it is.

--

Targa Tim:
    Carlos from Spain:

That's why we need multiple cars for different driving occasions if situation permits Smiley

That would be ideal, but that is a no go Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

I see no problem in big turbo engines for high HP output, like the 991 Turbo, its the use of a downsized turbo to substitute the NA. 

As I said, the big turbo did surprise me on the road - if you can get a drive in one you should (just in the interest of scientific research, you understand...).  But to complete my thoughts on our Turbo drive on the subject of value:  at least here, the base price of a non-S Turbo is $184k, and that comes very well equipped incl. LED lights, rear steering, dynamic mounts, full leather, etc.  In comparison, I am seeing C4 GTS models, and most Targas, that are at or even higher than that price - optioned up somewhat of course, but still with the uninspiring 3 litre motor.  Given the night-and-day difference in power and therefore feel on the road, the Turbo base is a very interesting value proposition.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

reginos:
    Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

The part about Porsche "needing" turbocharging for WEC and IMSA is ill-informed.

Porsche won 3 of the 4 biggest GT races in the world this year ... without turbos:

Sebring, Le Mans, Petit Le Mans; Ford won Daytona

Porsche also won the most recent WEC race, at Fuji

Look for Porsche to be very competitive at Daytona this year (they were not competitive this year, admittedly); they really want to win Daytona, which they haven't since 2014.  Vanthoor and Tandy did a recent private test at Daytona.  Provided Vanthoor can win Daytona, he will have won 24 hour races at Le Mans, Daytona, Nurburgring, and Spa (the last two as an Audi factory driver).

After a longer test drive in a GTS this summer i decided this would not be what i want. The power is just not enough to make me go ‘wow’. Much better than the N/A of course but it lacks the sense of occasion i expect from a car costing 200k. A Turbo never fails under this aspect! It just delivers more than enough all the time - which is a feeling i very much appreciate!

--

turbolite

KMM:

A bit too absolutist of a view. I too prefer NA / high RPM motors (bought one of the last 981 GTS for that reason.) However, after spending time in my brother's 991.2 S, I could easily cross to the other side. One thing I would not compromise on however is the number of cylinders: 6 is the minimum. 

I love n/a engines, my R8 is just engine heaven but I also have to admit that I love the Biturbo V8 in my E63 S.

I love to manually shift the R8 but I always keep the E63 S in auto. Different cars, different engines, different characters. Both are fun but if I had to choose one, I'd be the R8 with that fantastic V10. This engine is just the engine masterpiece. I bet that in 20 years, the V10 engined cars will be highly appreciated by car enthusiasts, much more than they are now.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

4trac:
    Carlos from Spain:

I see no problem in big turbo engines for high HP output, like the 991 Turbo, its the use of a downsized turbo to substitute the NA. 

As I said, the big turbo did surprise me on the road - if you can get a drive in one you should (just in the interest of scientific research, you understand...).  

Smiley

But to complete my thoughts on our Turbo drive on the subject of value:  at least here, the base price of a non-S Turbo is $184k, and that comes very well equipped incl. LED lights, rear steering, dynamic mounts, full leather, etc.  In comparison, I am seeing C4 GTS models, and most Targas, that are at or even higher than that price - optioned up somewhat of course, but still with the uninspiring 3 litre motor.  Given the night-and-day difference in power and therefore feel on the road, the Turbo base is a very interesting value proposition.  

The Turbo starts here at 205k€ and not as equipped I believe, and a C4 GTS is 160k... in your case I would definitely go for a Turbo, the engine is in another league imo.

--

Carlos, the 3.0 l Biturbo Boxer in my former 991.2 GTS Cab surprised me positively, it is a pretty good engine and the sound is pretty good as well. Give it a try...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Porsche did a great job with the 3.0L when they were forced to go turbo, tried to get the best sound they could (provided you forked for the PSE beforehand - still sound is no good imo), gave it a good torque bump thanks to the turbos, tried to mimick the high revikg character of the NA with the small turbos and reduce lag... they made a turbocharged engine as close in feel to the NA as they could and with a nice torque increase and surprising performance... but we are comparing it to the 3.8L. In that scenario, there is no comparison.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Porsche did a great job with the 3.0L when they were forced to go turbo, tried to get the best sound they could (provided you forked for the PSE beforehand - still sound is no good imo), gave it a good torque bump thanks to the turbos, tried to mimick the high revikg character of the NA with the small turbos and reduce lag... they made a turbocharged engine as close in feel to the NA as they could and with a nice torque increase and surprising performance... but we are comparing it to the 3.8L. In that scenario, there is no comparison.

--

Try the GTS.2, seriously. The Carrera S is a different story, not that good in my opinion.

I bet that with the 992, the biturbo Boxer will be even better. Sound-wise maybe not though. Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

I actually enjoy the 3.0l turbo in my GTS more than the 3.8l NA in my previous C4S. Not only is it much more powerful, but weirdly enough it feels more responsive too, which it should not. Porsche has done a tremendous job with this 3.0l engine. A gem.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    Carlos from Spain:

I actually enjoy the 3.0l turbo in my GTS more than the 3.8l NA in my previous C4S. Not only is it much more powerful, but weirdly enough it feels more responsive too, which it should not. Porsche has done a tremendous job with this 3.0l engine. A gem.

Smiley In the GTS only though... The first 991.2 Carrera S I drove wasn't that impressive.

--

bluelines:

You really need to try the 4.0L NA in the GT car...GTS will go straight to memories...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

My boss has got the GT3 Touring but claims the GTS is the overall best car in the 911 lineup  indecision Mind you he is more on the Ferrari side of the fence.

Yes, I will have to try it myself, I just don’t know how I am going to deal with the 100Nm loss in torque indecision

--

bluelines:

My boss has got the GT3 Touring but claims the GTS is the overall best car in the 911 lineup  indecision Mind you he is more on the Ferrari side of the fence.

Yes, I will have to try it myself, I just don’t know how I am going to deal with the 100Nm loss in torque indecision

Smiley, you will feel surprised how a car can rev above 7200rpm Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    bluelines:

Smiley, you will feel surprised how a car can rev above 7200rpm Smiley

Smiley

--

the-missile:
    bluelines:

You really need to try the 4.0L NA in the GT car...GTS will go straight to memories...Smiley

You really need to try the 5.2L NA in the R8...4.0L NA GT car will go straight to memories... SmileySmileySmiley

--

the 5.2l V10 in both the Huracan and R8 is an engineering masterpiece Smiley

Italo:

the 5.2l V10 in both the Huracan and R8 is an engineering masterpiece Smiley

Smiley Unfortunately a dying masterpiece... Smiley

The friend of a friend got himself a BMW M5 V10 a couple of days ago, he was lucky, found one with "low" mileage (slightly under 50k km). What a car...love it (so does my son). Original state, no tuning, no body kit, no third party wheels, looks as if it just exited the showroom a couple of months ago. Smiley Maybe I can take some pics...

--

RC:
    the-missile:
    bluelines:

You really need to try the 5.2L NA in the R8...4.0L NA GT car will go straight to memories... SmileySmileySmiley

Hah! That is pretty much what the above mentioned person said when he compared the V12 in his GTC 4 Lusso to the flat 6 in his GT3 Touring indecision That GT3 Touring is soon for sale...

Having had the Lusso for a day I can confirm that this engine is a monster Smiley It pulls and revs like nothing I have ever experienced. Accompanied by a glorious V12 scream Smiley 

3E3AB6F3-2204-4FD7-90E3-ECCDD71BCC74.jpg

--

the-missile:
    bluelines:

GTS is some sort of GT car too...GT-S smiley

--

SportCarGroup:

The only GT car more powerful than the GTS is the GT2. Just a hint where that S belong between the 3 and the 2 Smiley

--

SportCarGroup:
    the-missile:
    bluelines:

GT-iSh   Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661635 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401044 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254575 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229080 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59439 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4375 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853396 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761621 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM