Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Phone system

I need some advice about the phone system in the cars, it will probably have to come from UK owners.......
    I have spec'd the phone and nav in my new 997 which arrives in October (never felt the need in my previous 996/Boxsters)and I obviously need an additional sim card to use it properly. I have contacted my provider (Orange) and they will not provide an additional card, I have also spoken to Vodafone and they WILL, it looks like I'll be changing service providers then, but before I do, are there any other service providers in the UK that will issue two sim cards with a contract that anyone knows about??
    All advice welcome.
    I was advised by the dealer that some people get a cheap 'pay as you go' card and divert calls when driving but I don't fancy that idea, I tend to make a lot of calls when driving not receive too many.
    Thanks.

Re: Phone system

Here in the States, I use T-Mobile, which told me that they would be unwilling to give me a 2nd SIM because it was a security risk. Grist for the mill. As a result, I'm considering the Porsche Cell Phone Solution option.

I was thinking about just getting a second phone (i.e. separate phone number) and just forwarding my main phone to the car phone when in the 997.

Me too or just getting a new cell phone--switching from a Blackberry 7230 to a Blackberry 7100t or Treo 650 because they have built-in speakerphones. I have some thinking to do.

Hi Ando i am having the same problem ,02 will not send me a duplicate sim card either suppose will have to buy a pay and go sim and divert the calls when i get in the 997.If not will have to pop the sim out and slot it in the car before doing any longish journeys.Either way its a pain in the arse,maybe we should all change to Vodafone as they do duplicate sims

Vodafone here in the UK have confirmed that they will send me a second sim. Robbo - if you are in the UK why don't you confront o2 with this and threaten moving to Vodafone?

Raven i have already spoke to them and they have said at the moment duplicates sims are not available ,however i have a feeling this may change especially if they keep getting enquiries like mine from more customers

alternatively you can get a bluetooth system by your dealer for about 299 - then the car will recognise the phone and you can still use the hands free -

Quote:
    GG said:
    I was thinking about just getting a second phone (i.e. separate phone number) and just forwarding my main phone to the car phone when in the 997.

GG,

Forwarding calls gets very expensive. At $.40 a minute (AT&T) it adds up.

Maybe I'm a little more sensitive to stupid designs, but each new passenger in my car asks about the telephone I don't have. They see a telephone keypad and say, "Oh, it comes with a phone?" And, I have to explain why it's not a phone!

Porsche does not yet offer an integrated phone in the U.S. Hopefully, they will figure it out.

The "twin card" is actually NOT A DUPLICATE SIM card but a SIM card with a different phone number and different SIM card number but it receives the calls from your original number. Sorry, I can't explain it better and with regards to T Mobile in the US: a second SIM card is NO security risk (why should it be?), this is BS.

We have ONLY two card SIMs on all our phones because we hate swapping SIM cards when moving from one phone to the other. Some companies (maybe Orange in the UK too?) offer at no extra cost a second SIM card with a different phone number and a minimum "consumption" of a few Euro. For family members for example. Of course this means to make an additional contract but it really isn't expensive.

RC I think you will find in the uk atleast vodafone will send you a duplicate sim (same number),so you can leave one in the car,one in your mobile phone, and no need to buy another contract or buy a "pay as you go" sim.Thats the easiest solution for people in the uk ,but only vodafone will currently offer this.

Quote:
    robbo said:
    RC I think you will find in the uk atleast vodafone will send you a duplicate sim (same number),so you can leave one in the car,one in your mobile phone, and no need to buy another contract or buy a "pay as you go" sim.Thats the easiest solution for people in the uk ,but only vodafone will currently offer this.

Again: this is NOT a duplicate SIM card. Take both cards and compare the SIM number. Then, ask Vodafone about the phone number of each, you'll have a huge surprise.
    The trick is: the SIM cars are programmed in a way that they "answer" both to your phone number but when caller id is activated, the "second" card usually displays it's "true" number when you call somebody. Also check the bill, sometimes both numbers appear on the bill.

How is it that a near $100K car introduced in the fall of 2005, doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity? Porsche is not alone. BMW and Mercedes are not much better, but at least all their new cars have integrated Satellite Radio!

Really pathetic when you consider what Honda and Toyota offer in cars that cost less than a third of the price of a Porsche: bluetooth compatibility, voice driven SATNAV, Satellite radio, etc., and all standard.

FYI: here is a blog that covers Bluetooth in cars: http://bluetoothcar.typepad.com/main/ [url=http://http://bluetoothcar.typepad.com/main/]

Also, FYI, here is info on the Acura Bluetooth integration: [url=http://http://www.acura.com/models/model_comfort_handsfree.asp?module=tl]

For $35K you get a top of the line Acura TL with integrated Bluetooth phone with full display readout, XM Satellite Radio, voice driven SATNAV with 7 million restaurants, bank ATM's gas stations, etc (US version). Literally: "Find the nearest Mobil gas station" or "Show me a list of Italian restaurants in Springfield".

Meanwhile, I've just ordered a $93,000 C2S: phone integration doesn't work, Satellite Radio is not available - nowhere to put the antenna according the salesman, and SATNAV is manual, not even touchscreen and/or voice activated - both standard on the $24K Honda Accord my assistant just bought!

I guess it serves me right for being the snob I am for wanting to tool around in a Porsche!

I couldn't agree more. It's pathetic--a company revered as one run by engineers and designers, it's a disgrace.

Again: this is NOT a duplicate SIM card. Take both cards and compare the SIM number. Then, ask Vodafone about the phone number of each, you'll have a huge surprise.
    The trick is: the SIM cars are programmed in a way that they "answer" both to your phone number but when caller id is activated, the "second" card usually displays it's "true" number when you call somebody. Also check the bill, sometimes both numbers appear on the bill.

Can confirm. I have a "twin" card as Orange likes to name it, and when calling it is not my usual number appearing as caller. Ingoing calls are simply diverted to the card I have in the car. With regards to invoices I am not aware how it is done....that the company takes care of

With regards to the US users, yes it is pathetic that P cannot offer a solution. This is not a new issue, the PCM has existed for years and apparently other brands are able to come up with solutions....Porsche you need to solve this matter.

Quote:
    stone said:
    alternatively you can get a bluetooth system by your dealer for about 299 - then the car will recognise the phone and you can still use the hands free -

Is that from the Porsche dealer??

Quote:
    robbo said:
    Hi Ando i am having the same problem ,02 will not send me a duplicate sim card either suppose will have to buy a pay and go sim and divert the calls when i get in the 997.If not will have to pop the sim out and slot it in the car before doing any longish journeys.Either way its a pain in the arse,maybe we should all change to Vodafone as they do duplicate sims

I've spoken to Vodafone again to go ahead with the swap and they have confirmed that they will issue a 'second' sim (how ever it works!) BUT...it will go onto their old tariffs which means the inclusive 'minutes' will only be valid for calls to land-lines and other Vodafone users, all other calls will be charged at their (excessive) rates. I use over 500 minutes a month and most of them are 'cross network' so this would make the cost massive, I would estimate about Pounds200 per month. So basically it's still not resolved. There are ways, allegedly, of 'cloning' or 'copying' your own sim card but there are definite legal issues here, I'm not sure if the act of 'copying' is illegal or only if you are going to do it to defraud someone else's account, clearly not if it's your own account. Still confusing then.
    Thanks for the replies, the car's only about three weeks away now and I would like to get it sorted!!!

Quote:
    Thom said:
    Quote:
    GG said:

GG,

Forwarding calls gets very expensive. At $.40 a minute (AT&T) it adds up.

Hi Thom, Over here one can 'divert' calls to another phone, eg pager or another mobile, and with Orange at least, there is no charge, doesn't help me when I want to make calls though!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755496 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255942 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79939 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5265 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868999 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803065 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM