Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017)

I love the facelift. The front looks so much better. It's on par now with the look of the Hurrican. It's really a premium-Sportscar. 

As you remember - we had it for two weeks last summer and it is indeed an amazing sports car. That V10 has a sound like music and it corners like a cart!

The R8 is a wannabe supercar and a halo model of a run-of-the-mill brand.

It will never be considered on par with the Italians or McLaren. And in spite of its solid engineering, very good drive and some racing successes it does not carry the same charisma as a 911 globally.

Audi has been trying to give an answer to a question nobody asked.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

You are aware that the R8 is a Huracan and vice versa? Smiley I think I understand what you really meant to say but... Smiley

It will never be considered on par with the Italians or McLaren. And in spite of its solid engineering, very good drive and some racing successes it does not carry the same charisma as a 911 globally.

This is VW Group's fault. Audi wanted to make something out of the R8 but they didn't get enough leeway, especially after Porsche entered the VW Group family.

True but this question was asked before Porsche entered the family.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Lars997:

I love the facelift. The front looks so much better. It's on par now with the look of the Hurrican. It's really a premium-Sportscar. 

As you remember - we had it for two weeks last summer and it is indeed an amazing sports car. That V10 has a sound like music and it corners like a cart!

I actually think that the Huracan has a much cleaner design, so does the R8 pre-facelift. Smiley

The design of the new exhaust pipes and the rear bumper is a direct result of the difficult particulate filter adaptation. It looks cheap in my opinion and not worthy a supercar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    reginos:

You are aware that the R8 is a Huracan and vice versa? Smiley I think I understand what you really meant to say but... Smiley

"wannabe" : aspiring to be something that it is not. No offense to Audi but its name or badge are very distant from other cars of similar configuration.

Huracan? In this class of vehicle image is, if not everything at least 80% of the buying process. People want to overlook the engineering similarities between the two cars and go for the more glamorous one Smiley

This is VW Group's fault. Audi wanted to make something out of the R8 but they didn't get enough leeway, especially after Porsche entered the VW Group family.

True but this question was asked before Porsche entered the family.

Audi introduced the R8 at the time of the Le Mans successes with their petrol engines (before the R10 diesel racers) to make a connection between motorsport and road cars. Hence the R8 name that derives from the R8 LMP race cars.

In the meantime Audi abandoned prototype racing and Porsche with its sportier and more up-market status entered the VW Group. So it would be a good idea if Audi concentrated on a different type of halo car that alluded more to what they are selling rather than this mid-engined two seater.

Moreover, sales of the R8 are on average 2.500 cars p.a. worldwide. Not a great loss of revenue for Audi if this model is dropped.

--

I'm personally not a fan - however admire the engineering - my son however, at 16 years still gets excited when he sees an R8 and aspires to own one at some point. So perhaps heritage doesn't matter?

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

I'm personally not a fan - however admire the engineering - my son however, at 16 years still gets excited when he sees an R8 and aspires to own one at some point. So perhaps heritage doesn't matter?

Of all mid-engined 2-seaters the one that caught my fancy is the McLaren 570GT. Pity McLaren don't have an extensive network.

--

bridggar:

YouTube generation syndrome? Smiley My 15 year old son is the same and so are all his friends, classmates and basically every single adolescent I know. The R8 is the sportscar in this age category (OK, so are the Huracan and the C63) and I blame YouTube for it. Maybe Audi should have marketed the R8 in a different way, using YouTubers to promote it. Smiley

Since I own the R8, many of our friends or even acquaintances asked me if their kids can take a ride in my car. Pretty awkward situations sometimes because I felt like a show-off and I'm really not into this kind of stuff. Kids enjoyed the rides tremendously though, so... Smiley Never had a similar request with any of my past cars.

--

Got a bit more details about the engine of the facelifted R8 models:

R8 V10 Performance with 620 hp gets the Huracan Performante engine but due to particulate filter, power drops by 20 hp (-> 620 hp).

R8 V10 gets the pre-facelift engine with some adjustments and particulate filter, power increases by 30 hp but in reality, it actually drops by 40 hp because it is the same engine used in the V10 Plus before (V10 and V10 Plus of the pre-facelift use the same engine, just different software).

Major difference between both engines is the new cylinder head in the Performance version.

Due to the particulate filter, it will also be very difficult to adapt aftermarket exhaust systems and/or turbo kits. No clue about supercharger kits though.

Sound has been impacted by the particulate filters but the engineers tried to change the sound frequencies and they did a very good job (according to sources). The sound is a bit more muted in the mid and higher rev range but they tried to save as much possible from the original V10 sound. 

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I actually think that the Huracan has a much cleaner design, so does the R8 pre-facelift. Smiley

The design of the new exhaust pipes and the rear bumper is a direct result of the difficult particulate filter adaptation. It looks cheap in my opinion and not worthy a supercar.

You have answered your own comment about the exhaust design.  This is most optimized solution to a particularly difficult packaging problem.   There is only some much space available for the particulate filters.  Recall that Volkswagen had a similar problem that led to the origins of Dieselgate when particulate filters and urea tanks were added to older designs.   The urea tanks were too small, so a crafty, and dishonest, group decided to limit urea injections, extending refill cycles.  

CGX car nut:
    RC:
    Lars997:

You have answered your own comment about the exhaust design.  This is most optimized solution to a particularly difficult packaging problem.   There is only some much space available for the particulate filters.  Recall that Volkswagen had a similar problem that led to the origins of Dieselgate when particulate filters and urea tanks were added to older designs.   The urea tanks were too small, so a crafty, and dishonest, group decided to limit urea injections, extending refill cycles.  

For the Huracan facelift, the (exhaust) solution will look like the Performante. Much better solution in my opinion.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:
    RC:
    Lars997:

For the Huracan facelift, the (exhaust) solution will look like the Performante. Much better solution in my opinion.

--

The Lamborghini is also a more expensive car so a more expensive solution can be employed,   All cars are built to a cost.  For example, even a Performante used a less expensive forged carbon rear wing while the Aventador SVJ uses a higher cost hand layup carbon weave rear wing.

RC:

hope they will do a performante 2 or even better Smiley sweet car.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

hope they will do a performante 2 or even better Smiley sweet car.

Right now...unfortunately...it doesn't look good. Smiley

--

...so has Will Smith just shown us the next Audi R8? Smiley

Link: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/movies/has-will-smith-just-shown-us-next-audi-r8

* New Audi R8 V10 review by Top Gear *

"The most everyday of the everyday supercars. With a screaming, naturally-aspirated V10. Good."

FOR: The engine, the gearbox, the quality, the cabin design, the noise, the refinement. We could go on...

Overview

What is it?

The most everyday of the everyday supercars. Because it’s an Audi, because the cabin will contain 95th percentile people, because it’s ergonomically sound, because it’s reliable and well built and comes from a company that builds approximately 1.8 million other reliable, well built cars every year.

But also: screaming 8,700rpm V10. Unusual juxtaposition. Audi, righteous doyenne of the Waitrose class, being one of the last bastions of natural aspiration. When all others are downsizing and turbocharging (to the detriment of noise and response) the R8 persists with a free-breathing 5.2-litre V10. It won’t always be like this. We know a V6 hybrid is coming – in fact we’re almost surprised it’s not here yet – but for the time being the range begins and ends with V10.

Now with more power. As you can tell by the subtly edgier nose, the R8 has been facelifted. This is its mid-life revamp, a gentle boost to help it stay competitive and survive another four years or so on sale. Still a two model range, but with the Plus now renamed Performance. That’s received a boost from 604 to 614bhp, while the entry level model is up from 533 to 562bhp. A figure that puts it toe-to-toe with McLaren's 570S. The rear drive-only RWS? That’s gone now.

Outwardly you’re looking at new, sharper bumpers at both ends, larger exhaust pipes and those three slots across the nose that hark back to the 1984 Sport Quattro Group B rally car. They’re also on the new A1. Elsewhere the plan has been to fractionally sharpen the driving experience by stiffening the suspension, fitting a new carbon anti-roll bar at the front (40 per cent lighter than the old steel one) and recalibrating the steering – especially the optional variable ratio Dynamic Steering.

Final pricing hasn’t yet been announced, but Audi has said it’ll start at around £128,000 – a rise of barely £2,000. First deliveries of the 4WD supercar will start early in 2019.

Driving 

What is it like on the road?

It’s the R8’s duality that sets it apart from its rivals. Others – McLaren’s 570S, the AMG GT, Porsche 911 GT3 – are crisper, edgier and more exciting to drive. But none hits the high notes of everyday usability and trackday larks quite as completely as the Audi R8. In fact only one car, the Porsche 911 Turbo, does a better job of being a daily, and that, for all its speed and potency, doesn’t feel as special as the R8. Because make no mistake, a mid-mounted V10 is a very special thing.

But also quite a docile one. Always noisy at start up, yes, but this is a V10 of rare ability, so calm and tractable is it when just pottering, letting the engine warble to itself and the twin clutch gearbox self-select the ratios. If you want to maximise this side of its character, have the optional adaptive suspension, which really does soften off the ride around town, although it also brings in an odd porpoising over speedbumps. Personally I enjoy the more natural feel of the standard suspension. And I’d do without the optional Dynamic steering too.

Audi has persevered with this variable ratio system (a gear on the steering column allows the steering ratio to be changed, so you need less lock to go around corners). It used to be oddly artificial, but the latest version is much more convincing. But ultimately all it’s doing is saving a bit of armwork, and still robbing a bit of feel from what is otherwise a very good set-up. It’s another box we’d leave unticked.

The centre diff is electronically controlled, ensuring it’s a rear-drive car for agility unless it needs a dose of front-drive for security. Configure all these systems into their sportiest modes and the R8 gets super-reactive. It’s not a car you slide extravagantly, but you feel the small tyre-slip angles in vivid detail.

The main dynamic criticism of this second generation R8 was that it lacked a bit of bite on turn-in. The suspension adjustments have been targeted at improving that, and have partially succeeded. The nose feels a little keener and grippier, both in terms of steering response just off centre and the car reacting as the suspension compresses. Previously there was this fractional delay and a sense that the car was understeering even before it was. Now it’s slightly keener, if still not in the same league for adjustability and sharpness as the McLaren 570S.

Blame the weight. Despite using a hybrid carbon-aluminium chassis, the two-seat R8 weighs 1,660kg unladen – about 200kg more than the McLaren. Weight saving on the Performance version strips 65kg out of that. The R8 is very nicely balanced through and out of corners. Its preference is to understeer very slightly, but you need to think carefully about coming off the throttle if you’re running wide towards the exit – it can bite back.

But all the time you’re playing tunes on this awesome V10. It emits a glorious, baleful warble that grows in intensity as it homes in on the 8,700rpm cut out. Its high-rev reactions are tack-sharp, epically forceful, and sounds like the opera of the Gods. It’s a real point of differentiation. Do you notice the extra power? The additional titanium valvetrain components? Of course not. You’re too occupied being blown away by what a great engine this is to be that analytical.

How long Audi will be able to carry on justifying its presence, especially when the V6 hybrid arrives, is anyone’s guess. Tough for a firm to fully, honestly claim to be behind the zero-emission revolution when it’s also selling a 300g/km, 23mpg supercar. Room for both, we say.

The brakes are unchanged – steel wave rotors on the standard R8, carbon ceramics for the Performance, but Audi is claiming a reduction in braking distance (by five metres from 124mph) due to a new compound for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres.

On the inside 

Layout, finish and space

Perhaps the best supercar cabin of all. It’s spacious (check out the broad shelf behind the seats, the headroom and sense of space engendered by the far-off windscreen) and yet intimate. It draws you in, focuses your attention on the steering and fully digital dash to start with, and then teases your view outwards to such beautifully wrought details as the heating controls.

It’s the material execution and quality that really hits home, even above and beyond a Porsche 911. The tactility is masterfully done, the organisation of the controls is superb, the operation of the controls is just so. It’s a car you can spend a long time in, simply pressing buttons and moving switches. Driving position? You, like me, may want a bit of extra reach on the steering wheel, and we’d suggest avoiding the sportiest seats, which are too upright and thinly padded for comfort.

It’s not as easy to see out of as a McLaren Sports Series or 911, and it feels wide, but this is a design-led cabin that works on pretty much every level. Just be warned there’s not much load space under the nose - the 112-litre area limited by the presence of those front driveshafts. Make up for it by exploiting that 226-litre shelf.

Changes for the facelifted version are very modest: new silver and brown colour schemes inside, and the reversing camera now standard. Audi’s virtual display is still the benchmark digital dash for legibility and organisation of information.

Owning 

Running costs and reliability

As we mentioned prices haven’t changed much, so you’re looking at a £128,000 entry for the 562bhp version, with the 614bhp Performance costing around £15,000 more. The Spyder is about £9,000 more. Residuals are good, running costs aren’t – pretty much the case for all supercars, but the drawback of that V10 is its economy and CO2. The exact figures for the facelift car aren’t out yet, but we’re looking at 22mpg and around 300g/km of CO2.

The costs won’t matter, the short stops between fill-ups (around every 250 miles) might. I know, you don’t think the R8 is a GT, but trust us, it is. It’s just as comfortable and capable of smashing through distance as an Aston Martin Vantage or DB11 for that matter. It is a very complete car.

And a good looking one, too. At least at the front – we’re not convinced by the blockier black venting at the rear – hints of old Lamborghini Gallardo, perhaps? Some of the wheels are a bit fussy, too. Spec carefully. And enjoy the now-standard all-LED lights. They’re awesome.

Verdict 

Its engine and huge breadth of ability make it feel increasingly special. A supercar that fully deserves its spot at the top table.

Audi’s persistence in sticking with a large capacity, naturally aspirated V10 is increasingly giving it a real point of differentiation when almost all its rivals are motivated by twin turbo V8s (or a flat six, obvs). The engine has only been very lightly tweaked for the facelift, the extra handful of horsepower barely noticeable, but this is still a stand-out, hands-down stunning engine.

And it’s the centrepiece of what remains a very complete supercar. The visual changes have given the front end a sharpness that’s been copied by the mechanical alterations underneath. It’s still not as direct and precise as a McLaren Sports Series or Porsche GT3, but there’s added bite on turn-in and notably improved steering feel (we’ll now not blank you if you insist on having the variable ratio Dynamic Steering, either).

It’s easy to overlook the R8 amongst newer, fresher, more dynamic rivals with more exotic badges, but rather than feeling outdated, its engine and huge breadth of ability make it feel increasingly special. A supercar that fully deserves its spot at the top table.

OVERALL VERDICT: 9 out of 10

Top Gear Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/audi/r8-1

Hated it first, but gets better and better the more I see the FL pictures. Still, find the previous FL one of the prettiest cars ever made. So clean and elegant. 

If only they had a backseat....

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

I like this FL better . Looks really good in that grey and black color .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

I have to admit I'm warming up to the facelift. That doesn't make the pre-facelift a bad looking car though. But with the right colour and toned down sideblades I'm fine with the facelift of the R8. kiss

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

The design is pleasing. I prefer it to the Italian mid-engine style which has become very busy and inharmonious.

But the fixed wing is not perfectly matching the shape. Audi should have invested in a 2 stage retractable wing if the previous version used in the V8 was not efficient enough for the V10.

--

I love the exhaust pipes, such a nice functional addition! You could stash some coins in there, a football. Small rodents. If the luggage space is not big enough, no problem! Just put your suitcase in the exhaust pipes. Go into town and your date brings an alpaca? No problem, put it in the exhaust pipe!

Also love how they split the design between the front and the rear; bored with the looks of the front? No worries! Just park it reversed, and it will be as if you have a whole new car!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

I have to admit I'm warming up to the facelift. That doesn't make the pre-facelift a bad looking car though. But with the right colour and toned down sideblades I'm fine with the facelift of the R8. kiss

Yep, the facelift is very color sensitive and I would probably choose the Spyder over the Coupe anyway, looks a bit more refined. I love the clean lines of the pre-facelift model though, so...not easy. 

Still not convinced that sound hasn't changed. I heard a mule and it sounded different, more like a RS3 or TT RS than my current R8 but maybe this has changed and I didn't really hear it at high revs.

--

Joost:

Go into town and your date brings an alpaca? No problem, put it in the exhaust pipe!

Though if your date brings an Alpaca to a date, that is a pretty good sign to walk away and move on  

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Joost:

Go into town and your date brings an alpaca? No problem, put it in the exhaust pipe!

Though if your date brings an Alpaca to a date, that is a pretty good sign to walk away and move on  

Smiley The new exhaust pipes look ridiculous in my opinion, also because you can actually see the "real" (much smaller) exhaust pipes inside the larger pipe. Looks a bit weird but not different than RS3/TT RS (which in my opinion was a design mistake because now, the facelifted R8 really looks closer to the TT RS than ever, this included the new front design as well). If you guys think the new exhaust pipes were a design choice, you're wrong. Audi was forced to do that because of the new particulate filter. There was no room for another, more design friendly, solution. The alternative would have been the one Lamborghini is using with the Huracan Performante but I guess Lambo wasn't too pleased that Audi would give their R8 a Performante look.  Smiley

--

I hated the FL when I first saw the Pics, but it's growing on me..... I noticed the B&O logo on the seats, are there speakers built into the head rest?

Car looks stunning. 

yup….like it too

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

the rear...enlightened

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Moser:

I hated the FL when I first saw the Pics, but it's growing on me..... I noticed the B&O logo on the seats, are there speakers built into the head rest?

Yep, speakers are built in into the head rest since the pre-facelift model but my 2017 R8 doesn't have them (they were introduced one model year later). Smiley

Even without these headrest speakers, the B&O sound system sounds amazing but the speakers add a specific "volume" to the whole sound, even at lower volume levels, which is quite enjoyable.

Like I said, I am a fan of the more "simplistic" design flow of the pre-facelift model (my car) but in the case of the Spyder, I like the facelift more (I think), don't know why. The big "RS" exhaust pipes look ridiculous though, can't help it. The Huracan Performante has a much nicer exhaust pipe design and this is probably the design used in the Huracan facelift. 

That damned particulate filter... Smiley

Oh, in case nobody noticed: The exhaust switching button is gone, this is all controlled now through the various driving programs. Not really a problem but it shows that switchable exhaust systems are a thing of the past, soon they won't be allowed anymore at all. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661548 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401016 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229060 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59412 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4375 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853384 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761574 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM