Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

$48,000 in options!

I just "built" a car on the Porsche web site. I was able to add $48,000. in options to a 911S. That's crazy! I was planning on getting a 911 as my daily driver, but I am horrified that the telephone keypad and computer screen cannot be eliminated. The 911 became an icon because of its simplicity and purposeful design. Why are Porsche loyalists not up in arms?

Re: $48,000 in options!

Not suprised...if i'm not wrong i once managed to get 60/70 k on options in a carrera 4 cabrio..

Rock Star Car

Quote:
    Thom said:
    I just "built" a car on the Porsche web site. I was able to add $48,000. in options to a 911S. That's crazy! I was planning on getting a 911 as my daily driver, but I am horrified that the telephone keypad and computer screen cannot be eliminated. The 911 became an icon because of its simplicity and purposeful design. Why are Porsche loyalists not up in arms?

Congratulations you just built Jerry Seinfeld's new 997!

Loading the car is a great way to burn money and what's wrong with that?

One thing is good: they don't offer any gold plating and white leather options, those have to be special ordered.

As far as the space shuttle center console is concerned: you're not the only one who expected a more classsic sports car interior and got blown away.

Re: Rock Star Car

i cant understand why the luxury interior is bothering you guys ,you are getting the best of both worlds ,the sporty driving and the ultimate interior luxury , the "space shuttle" console is not a design thing ,its a system that is giving you a really nice sound,navi,phone,lap time recorder,trip computer ,and the rest is just an advanced two zone climate control system . i personaly like it more than a christmas tree style standard pioneer radio that will be ugly on the dashboard , and the climate control system on a 993 had almost the same number of buttons ,maybe more..

Quote:
    Thom said:

Why would a telephone keypad and computer screen horrify you? For me, these are actually two reasons to buy the 997. To be serious: are you horrified by your laptop too? Your PC at home?
    The only thing I don't like about the PCM system to be a standard option: freedom of choice and the difficulty to install an aftermarket system, something which all HiFi enthusiasts would prefer to do, instead of going for the factory BOSE system.

Maybe a little comparison helps: how many cars are out there on the market with 355 HP and THAT kind of performance, not only straight line performance but also track capability? Take a look at the BMW M3 E46 which is heavier. Take a look at the SLK 55 AMG which is heavier too.
    And none of them accelerate to 125 mph in 16.1 or 16.6 seconds with the exception of the BMW M3 CSL maybe.

When I want to buy a car, I look at the whole package. Of course there are a few things which I don't like too.
    Like the lack of more power, like those seat memory buttons which are positioned where my knee rests, like the fact that an co-driver airbag deactivation system isn't standard and I also don't like the airbags installed into the seats because it doesn't leave much choices for seat retrofits (although I have to admit that the adaptive sport seat is well worth it's money). I also don't like the VW style gearknob, I don't like the grey plastic too much which is allover the front console and the back of the front seats.
    And finally I don't like the fake double exhaust tips.

But I set priorities and the 997 Carrera S is the most dynamic standard non-GT, non-Turbo 911 Porsche has ever put on the market. Despite it's weight (still not much compared to some competitors) and luxurious interior, it is a very nice and fast sports car. What do I want more? You don't want that computer screen or keypad? You want something more "pure" and "light"? Wait for the 997 GT3.

Quote:
    Wait for the 997 GT3

do you think that the GT3 comes without this cayenne-style-multimedia-console? i hope so, but i have my doubts.

I own an M3 and regret ordering the phone and navigation. I find it infuriating that I must press a button to "accept" a legal disclaimer every time I start the car. (Maybe they don't have that in Europe.) I've had that car almost three years and I'm stuck using the same obsolete analogue phone which cannot be upgraded.

I was racing the M3 full blast at Lime Rock a few months ago when the damn phone rang--it was my son. I don't want a phone in my car--I want it in my pocket.

I'm sure Porsche has designed better systems, but I should be able to choose not to have it. And, I sure hope the GT3 doesn't include it!

Can't you just turn stuff off if you don't like it???

Turn the phone off? Don't order NAV.... what's the problem?
    You want a radio with dials and capacitors to tune in stations or what?? Technology will keep moving forward no matter how crumudgenly you stay.....

I was just at my dealer and sat in a 997 and 997 S for about

5 minutes. Truthfully, the dash center console didn't attract or distract me whatsover--the interior was black in both the 997 and the 997S. And the 997 was the base interior, but had the Sport steering wheel. It really was fine, as far as I was concerned. Different from the 996 but acceptable.

The one thing I did quickly notice about the interior on the base car was the black plastic on the arm rest console between the seats is back to the non-"soft look" plastic--which felt cheap. If I got a base interior car, I'd probably pull that out and have it painted by Eric, the bumperplugs guy for a better texture/feel.

Most of the things I was expecting to hate (the steering wheel and the rims on the 997 S), I didn't. Haven't driven one, but certainly didn't see anything in the interior to gripe about now that I have seen it in the flesh.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Wait for the 997 GT3

do you think that the GT3 comes without this cayenne-style-multimedia-console? i hope so, but i have my doubts.

Sönke, you get the same package you got up til now, with a few more options. Relax.

I need a phone on my car. If I drive on the track, I turn it off. Sometimes I do the same if I plan some fun driving or high speed driving on the Autobahn. A good driver also knows how to ignore distraction. My little daughter started to shout out loud when I was driving 280 kph in my Cayenne. She woke up and got horrified because for a moment, she wasn't aware where she was. I was so concentrated on the traffic ahead of me, I didn't even blink with my eyes when she started to shout. You need that kind of concentration on the track, otherwise it can get pretty dangerous. A big stone flying against your window at eye level, what do you do, get a heart attack or loose control of the steering?
    Or a more funny story: while driving 170 kph on a deserted italian Autostrada in our ML55, a bird (or probably a flying dinosaur ) had to get rid of it's lunch. The whole white stuff landed on my windshield, almost HALF of it was covered in...you know what...and the impact of the white stuff hitting my windshield made such a loud noise that my wife woke up. Concentration is very important!

BTW: while driving on the track, you have a helmet on and it gets pretty loud too. How did you hear the phone?

The phone on the 997 Carrera S is a GSM phone. We have GSM in Europe now more more than 12 years or so, at least this is the time I was using it. Nothing really changed. Even phones from 12 years ago can still be used without problems.
    I even miss two features on the PCM: a HTML internet browser and a POP3 mail client. With the newly introduced UMTS standard, it might become reality sooner or later.
    Yes, I want to pick up my mails in the car and reading Rennteam.com while sitting on a parking lot wouldn't hurt either. But I'm a gizmo freak too, this is my second passion after cars.

center console looks not like rest of car

Quote:

Why would a telephone keypad and computer screen horrify you? For me, these are actually two reasons to buy the 997. To be serious: are you horrified by your laptop too? Your PC at home?

The problem as I see it is the whole car, inside and out is represents a unified aesthetic, IOW, it there is nothing about the car which isn't a pleasure to look at. (okay, I'm not to crazy about the s wheels, sorry).

Anyway, as far as the sitting driver is concerned you have a few things in your face at all times. the guage cluster, the interior and trim, and unfortunately, the center console.

I say unfortunately because the center console looks as aesthetically pleasing as my desktop PC and printer. Well I exaggerate a bit, but, to me the Center console techno center is not styled/designed to the same elevated standard as the rest of the car.

For all the use I would give it, I mean really, I would be happy to screw around with a "mouse" like BMW has than to be faced with so many bizzy looking, buttons.

Hey, a nice __touch__ screen, maybe even 50 percent bigger screen would be preferable, or at least a better starting point to design a good looking CConsole around, than all those extra buttons.

don;t flame me, I'm just responding to issue RC raised.

Re: center console looks not like rest of car

MaxErnst, I am NOT with you on this one! Why don't you do yourself a favor and seek out another car. It is pretty clear that you are not now and will never be happy with a 997. Buy a different model, a different manufacturer, whatever, that makes you happy. Many of us are perfectly happy with the 997/997S - wheels, buttons and all.

Hey Max,

I got to play with the center console last Friday night. At one dealership, the Porsche showroom is in a different section from the Audi/VW showroom and since no one was around, my wife and I sat in a launch car 997 for about 20 minutes. The center console display and buttons are actually pretty neat. The buttons layout is very intuitive. I like the center console before and now I even like it even more. And the Bose sound system is just totally awesome. It sounded good last Friday night but today at a different dealership, with the Porsche demo CD, it was just amazing. I have never heard a better sound system on any car as good as the Bose on the 997 (it even sounds better than my home system). The Bose on my Audi A4 sounds terrible now.

Quote:
    RC said:
    But I'm a gizmo freak too, this is my second passion after cars.

we have a looot in common rc..

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Quote:

The problem as I see it is the whole car, inside and out is represents a unified aesthetic, IOW, it there is nothing about the car which isn't a pleasure to look at. (okay, I'm not to crazy about the s wheels, sorry).

Anyway, as far as the sitting driver is concerned you have a few things in your face at all times. the guage cluster, the interior and trim, and unfortunately, the center console.

I say unfortunately because the center console looks as aesthetically pleasing as my desktop PC and printer. Well I exaggerate a bit, but, to me the Center console techno center is not styled/designed to the same elevated standard as the rest of the car.

For all the use I would give it, I mean really, I would be happy to screw around with a "mouse" like BMW has than to be faced with so many bizzy looking, buttons.

Hey, a nice __touch__ screen, maybe even 50 percent bigger screen would be preferable, or at least a better starting point to design a good looking CConsole around, than all those extra buttons.

don;t flame me, I'm just responding to issue RC raised.

complain ..complain ..complain ,at least we got used to what you say ,just standard crap...a screen 50% bigger ?and touchscreen??? max ! wake up !wake up!come back to earth!stop dreaming! and since you talked about a bmw , believe me ,get one! it really suits your profile!

I raise good points, responding in good faith to RCs question and all you can do is send petty insults my way.

Look at yourself in the mirror.

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    Many of us are perfectly happy with the 997/997S - wheels, buttons and all.

I'm allowed to express my ideas and you should be grateful that they are followed with detailed reasoning. You do not have to agree.

If new buyers are very happy with their cars, one might think my critical review of some of car's aspects should not be so disturbing to new buyers, right?

Don't tell me to buy another car, it makes no sense. I INTEND to buy a 997S in the next year or so. Do I have to be absolutely happy with every aspect of the car? No. Would I have to lower my standards or achieve some degree of self delusion and denial to purchase one? No. Am I from Mars? No. Am I sane, successful, mature, respected in the community, and highly intelligent? yes. Do you see what I'm saying yet?

No.

Don't be a Porsche wussy. Expect Excellence.

Quote:
    DD694 said:
    No.

One last try.

You are perfectly happy with a perfect car? That's perfect!

One problem is in the world the other people live in nothing is perfect. I have Porsche's catchphrase in mind "Excellence is Expected" in mind. I hold them to it. I EXPECT excellence in the cars they produce.

Anybody who is perfectly satisfied with any Porsche is running counter to this Corporate slogan.

For example: The fact that I may have to open my window a crack at 85 MPH to get a little cool air into the cabin of my GT 911, is LESS than excellent in my demanding opinion. Get it? It is embarassing (less than Excellent) that I would have to do such a thing, right?

Porsche should know this, we customers should never think the car is perfect. I still plan to buy a 997S and I still love the car, just the way I loved my 911T years ago. Was the 911T I had perfect? Hell no! Did I know it at the time? yes.

What may wrong with people who think the car is perfect? ? I heard this may be the problem: they have new buyers blindness. They are now extremely loyal to the product they just spent lots of money on. It is a way to deal with anxiety of the expensive purchase: get really defensive about any mention of the products shortcomings

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762444 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435348 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260507 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257569 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872266 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807644 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM