Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

Concepts are always too extreme, to gather attention and make an impression. The trick is to make a production car that’s close enough to be exciting, but not so close that it’s odd or impractical. 

SciFrog:

Sorry but these are two completely different cars... With a high price tag, a dubious design and specs probably frozen for years when they are outdated before even being on the market, the Taycan might stay a niche product.

Weird that you are so negative about a future car that no one knows what the final spec will be, yet be so bullish about the already outdated Teslas...............

--

The question is: Has Porsche made a mistake to show us such an extreme concept? The production car could be very nice but many people will compare the concept with the new Taycan and may be disappointed because they don´t know what you know about a design process. I think Jaguar with the I-Pace and Volvo with the Polestar (which based on former concept cars) have done it much better.

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Sorry but these are two completely different cars... With a high price tag, a dubious design and specs probably frozen for years when they are outdated before even being on the market, the Taycan might stay a niche product.

Weird that you are so negative about a future car that no one knows what the final spec will be, yet be so bullish about the already outdated Teslas...............

I almost thought noone was back. A post in his style Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Here´s a tidibt.

According to a Portuguese News Journal (O Observador/The Observer), Porsche is making their European Dealers very nervous.

Apparently dealers will have to pay between 260k - 350k for the Efacec 350 Kw chargers wich means that dealers with less sales will have their profits smashed to a minimum for quite some time.

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Well there are rumored specs which seem low and rumored prices which were low and now revised way higher as expected. My negativity is only in response to the many “Tesla killer” posts and rumors floating around here. I will acknowledge the new products when they will actually exist, not only in competition with Tesla but with each manufacturer own lineup and products. Again the old rumors of the Mission E were basically anhiliating the entire Panamera range. Meanwhile Tesla is killing it and surfing on a coolness wave in the US that no other car manufacturer might have never ever had.

Tesla is outdated but improved all the time without a bean counter set refresh cycle, plus you can buy one, even a used one, today. The rest is just vaporware until you can have one in your garage. Tesla has tapped into the “non-car” crowd and found a new large new audience paying top $$$ for a product they would never have done for before. Simply thinking the others will barge in and make it go away is wishful thinking. I know many of them exactly like that.

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Smiley I think he is either (financially) invested in Tesla and/or he wants to get one soon, so the Tesla fanboy fever caught up with him. Smiley Smiley No problem here, he gets a Tesla, I got an Audi, we are a diverse crowd here. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

Smiley I think he is either (financially) invested in Tesla and/or he wants to get one soon, so the Tesla fanboy fever caught up with him. Smiley Smiley No problem here, he gets a Tesla, I got an Audi, we are a diverse crowd here. Smiley 

don't want to be on your side but I will take an audi anyday over a Tesla. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

don't want to be on your side but I will take an audi anyday over a Tesla. Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

SciFrog:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Well there are rumored specs which seem low and rumored prices which were low and now revised way higher as expected. My negativity is only in response to the many “Tesla killer” posts and rumors floating around here. I will acknowledge the new products when they will actually exist, not only in competition with Tesla but with each manufacturer own lineup and products. Again the old rumors of the Mission E were basically anhiliating the entire Panamera range. Meanwhile Tesla is killing it and surfing on a coolness wave in the US that no other car manufacturer might have never ever had.

Tesla is outdated but improved all the time without a bean counter set refresh cycle, plus you can buy one, even a used one, today. The rest is just vaporware until you can have one in your garage. Tesla has tapped into the “non-car” crowd and found a new large new audience paying top $$$ for a product they would never have done for before. Simply thinking the others will barge in and make it go away is wishful thinking. I know many of them exactly like that.

But that's the Porsche way, been forever.

Look no farther than the 918. Or any car they had produced, ever.

Porsche always low ball the initial spec and performance, making sure they can meet what they promised, unlike every single other manufacturers that announce something outrageous but cannot live up to those promises. 

--

Whoopsy you've been predicting Tesla's bankrupcy for two years saying that they will be over at the end of every single quarter and hey, they're still in the game. I'm not doubting about your analysis, don't get me wrong, but you might been missreading some of the indicators or just not understanding the way the markets behave with this kind of companies nowadays (not saying that I do).

@SciFrog is completly right. Tesla has in the market a product that is already better than the hypothetical product that competitors are gonna put in the market IN THE UPCOMING years. That's a fact.

alexalex88:

Whoopsy you've been predicting Tesla's bankrupcy for two years saying that they will be over at the end of every single quarter and hey, they're still in the game. I'm not doubting about your analysis, don't get me wrong, but you might been missreading some of the indicators or just not understanding the way the markets behave with this kind of companies nowadays (not saying that I do).

@SciFrog is completly right. Tesla has in the market a product that is already better than the hypothetical product that competitors are gonna put in the market IN THE UPCOMING years. That's a fact.

Better how? Also, since when do you know the future products of the upcoming years? Smiley

I only saw one product and I was deeply impressed. Not even close to the current Tesla S. Of course if Tesla comes up with a Tesla S successor with new tech, I rest my case but so far... Smiley

--

I give Tesla credit for being ahead of it's time a couple of years ago - but now with the big boys entering the market their piece of the cake can hardly get bigger except maybe in the US being seen as the right thing to do for locals.

BjoernB:

I give Tesla credit for being ahead of it's time a couple of years ago - but now with the big boys entering the market their piece of the cake can hardly get bigger except maybe in the US being seen as the right thing to do for locals.

Smiley They were at least 5 years ahead...before the Diesel scandal forced VW and others to seriously get into the game and invest tons of money in new tech and EVs. Bad luck for Tesla I guess.

I also think that the Chinese will have a strong saying in the EV market as well, especially when it comes to low cost EVs. If the quality is somewhat right, they will be hard to beat (price-wise).

--

RC:

I also think that the Chinese will have a strong saying in the EV market as well, especially when it comes to low cost EVs. If the quality is somewhat right, they will be hard to beat (price-wise).

Chinese is not as cheap as it is used to be...and they are improving the quality as well. watch the space, they learn very fast.Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

Chinese is not as cheap as it is used to be...and they are improving the quality as well. watch the space, they learn very fast.Smiley

It's enough to see what Haval/Wey are doing these days and you understand that they are improving with days, not years... Smiley

the-missile:
    RC:

I wasn't saying they will make 5000 EUR cars for the EU market but if their EVs cost half of similar German products and the quality is OK, maybe with a nice dealership network here as well, they could succeed. Especially in the lower price range. It makes a difference if a small EV costs 20k or 10k. 

--

right now, EV is still tooooo expensive, Zoe is closed to 30KEuros...that is non sense!

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

right now, EV is still tooooo expensive, Zoe is closed to 30KEuros...that is non sense!

Yep...for mass transportation way too expensive but prices will come down, the Chinese (and others) will make sure of that. Smiley

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

Smiley They were at least 5 years ahead...before the Diesel scandal forced VW and others to seriously get into the game and invest tons of money in new tech and EVs. Bad luck for Tesla I guess.

Again RC, you say you have seen some great tech and I don’t doubt you. But these are neither released yet and if they are that good, VW group will make you pay the price for it or else they will cannibalize their own lineup and margins. Say what you want but to be a Tesla killer, they have to shoot themselves int he foot because Tesla cars are already good enough and have an aura of coolness no one else has in the USA. And, again, you are assuming Tesla will stay stale for the next few years when they happen to be the most aggressive car manufacturer for updates and releases since they don’t have model year and refresh cycles. Just look this week, they tweaked the options and prices of the model 3 to match the demand and smooth the cash flow. Porsche is incapable of doing that.

800V tech will save you 15 mins every 4 hours when you drive on very long trips. It is mostly irrelevant in daily usage. It will take you longer to drive to get to a 800V charger than to find a 400V supercharger in the medium term.

No, I assume Tesla won't be able to afford the development of new/improved tech, while VW Group and others pump BILLIONS into EV development and acquiring related tech. Of course Elon Musk may have an ace up his sleeve, I don't have a clue but right now, I think Tesla is done in a couple of years.

--

Now that they seem to show some free cash flow, it is not possible for them to be done in a couple of years. 5 years maybe if they don’t innovate.

alexalex88:

Don't think I ever said they will go bankruptSmiley I simply state that their model is not sustainable and might get bankrupt.

There is nothing surprising about how market behaves, they had always blinded by Elon. But as I said, this is the first ever successful quarter for Tesla in what, 15 years? AND it was achieved with some questionable tactics, i.e. not building cars according to the deposit list but bypass all of those waiting and build fully spec-ed cars in order to build the bottom line. You go walk into a Tesla store right now, you can walk out with a fully spec-ed Model 3 in 5 mins.

Tesla has been pumping these expensive fully optioned model for a whole quarter and change, just so they can book a profit for this past quarter. Had they built according to the deposit list, they would have lost money again this quarter.

There is no doubt Tesla has the electric market to themselves right now, at least the one above the econobox one. But that market is getting competition soon. Porsche is coming in with the first salvo, others are following. So in a year or so Tesla really need to up their game, their questionable interior and fit and finish won't match up well with the competition, and their outdated technology will be at a distinct disadvantage. To improve both they need cash, lots of them, that's in addition to Elon's vision of spending money and build a factory in China, doing the Speedster, AND the truck. That's a boat load of car that they don't have,

Right now they are raking in all the money in the pot for electric cars, and that's not enough for them to generate a sustainable profit, what happens when more people are eating in the same pot? The electric car market will be growing, but not that fast so someone will lose. Tesla had the monopoly, so they stand to lose the most. What if Porsche only take 10% of the market? That basically means Tesla just lost 10% of the market. 

The only scenario that tTesla can come out rosy will be for Porsche and everyone else to flop on the new 800V system, which is impossible, as 800V means shorter charge time and thinner wires in the car, so lighter cars. And that the market reject the better build quality and material in the Taycan, and prefer the cheap finishing inside the Tesla. There is no competition right now to compare cars, but there will be soon.

And I think I have a pretty good idea how to read annual reports and quarter filings, been doing that forever and successful enough to get me to where I am today. Smiley 

--

Whoopsy:
    alexalex88:

Don't think I ever said they will go bankruptSmiley I simply state that their model is not sustainable and might get bankrupt.

There is nothing surprising about how market behaves, they had always blinded by Elon. But as I said, this is the first ever successful quarter for Tesla in what, 15 years? AND it was achieved with some questionable tactics, i.e. not building cars according to the deposit list but bypass all of those waiting and build fully spec-ed cars in order to build the bottom line. You go walk into a Tesla store right now, you can walk out with a fully spec-ed Model 3 in 5 mins.

Tesla has been pumping these expensive fully optioned model for a whole quarter and change, just so they can book a profit for this past quarter. Had they built according to the deposit list, they would have lost money again this quarter.

There is no doubt Tesla has the electric market to themselves right now, at least the one above the econobox one. But that market is getting competition soon. Porsche is coming in with the first salvo, others are following. So in a year or so Tesla really need to up their game, their questionable interior and fit and finish won't match up well with the competition, and their outdated technology will be at a distinct disadvantage. To improve both they need cash, lots of them, that's in addition to Elon's vision of spending money and build a factory in China, doing the Speedster, AND the truck. That's a boat load of car that they don't have,

Right now they are raking in all the money in the pot for electric cars, and that's not enough for them to generate a sustainable profit, what happens when more people are eating in the same pot? The electric car market will be growing, but not that fast so someone will lose. Tesla had the monopoly, so they stand to lose the most. What if Porsche only take 10% of the market? That basically means Tesla just lost 10% of the market. 

The only scenario that tTesla can come out rosy will be for Porsche and everyone else to flop on the new 800V system, which is impossible, as 800V means shorter charge time and thinner wires in the car, so lighter cars. And that the market reject the better build quality and material in the Taycan, and prefer the cheap finishing inside the Tesla. There is no competition right now to compare cars, but there will be soon.

And I think I have a pretty good idea how to read annual reports and quarter filings, been doing that forever and successful enough to get me to where I am today. Smiley 

I agree with everything you wrote, there is little discussion about it and I didn't intend to question your finance ability, you seem like a brilliant guy to me and it's pretty obvious that you're doing great in life haha

All I said, despite your detailed analysis, is that you might not understand the particular dynamics of companies like this where there are "intangible goods" that are not reflected in annual reports and quarter filings. Data. Innovation. Know-how.

One last thing regarding the phrase I highlighted is that you are not counting the market growth. Today the electric market is this big "." while in 5 or 10 years is gonna be this huge "O". We are talking of hundred millions of persons that are going to transition into the EV space.

alexalex88:
    Whoopsy:
    alexalex88:

I agree with everything you wrote, there is little discussion about it and I didn't intend to question your finance ability, you seem like a brilliant guy to me and it's pretty obvious that you're doing great in life haha

All I said, despite your detailed analysis, is that you might not understand the particular dynamics of companies like this where there are "intangible goods" that are not reflected in annual reports and quarter filings. Data. Innovation. Know-how.

One last thing regarding the phrase I highlighted is that you are not counting the market growth. Today the electric market is this big "." while in 5 or 10 years is gonna be this huge "O". We are talking of hundred millions of persons that are going to transition into the EV space.

That's hope and dreams. 

Now if Tesla do indeed post a nice result next quarter without using tricks, then it means their model is finally sustainable for the short term, which also means they have solved their cash crunch problem. Which also means they might actually survive.

You over estimated how quickly people will convert/warm up to electric car. Society is not ready for them yet no matter what the cultists are saying. City infrastructures are not set up for electric cars, and that needs to change in order for mass adoption. For people living in houses, it's easy to add a 240V charge socket. For apartments with a common garage, most stalls don't have access to a socket, it is only very recently that planners are planning a socket for each stall. Each charger takes in a not inconsiderable amount of current, so existing wiring needed to be upgraded at a substantial cost also. Or if it was planned in the building phase, substantial wiring needed to be routed. 

Then there is the public charging stations. or lack of. Do you know how much current draw those industrial strength chargers draw? Public electricity grid are not built for those draws, so public infrastructures needed to be updated and upgraded in order to have them working. Now even if the public grid wiring are robust enough for those draws, the source is not. Power plants, be it wind, solar, coal, nuclear, gas, or hydro, don't really have excess spare capacity, so new plants and hydro dams and wind farms and whatnots are needed. Takes how long to built? Or actually get approved in the political system? And who will be paying for those? Most citizens won't want to be on the hook for that, as they don't even drive an electric car, so why should they foot the bill. Electric car owners are a minority so they won't even have enough money to pay for those either. Politicians also have other topics or interest for the public funds than building power plants. 

Now we are only talking about city driving, day to day stuff for electric car, long distance wise they are still behind gasoline cars in refuelling. Even the new 800V system will take 15-20 mins for a meaningful 'tank', Tesla on their 400V system takes 40 mins. these numbers don't compare well with the 5 mins at a gas station for gasoline cars. 

The best of both worlds right now are still hybrid cars. for city driving in electric mode they are perfect, even the charging won't take long either with the smaller battery, and the current draw also isn't that much. For long distance driving they can have the option of going to gas stations for a quick fill up, the electric side of the car helps with fuel economy, performance and the gas engine can also charges the battery on the fly.

instead of quoting range in kms/miles, they should quote them in hours of highway driving. A reasonable range would be 3-4 hours at highway speed, in the US, that would means avg speed of 75mph or so, that puts it at 300 miles range. In Europe, depending on which country, not counting Switzerland nor Austria, would be an average cruising speed of say 120km/hr, roughly 480-500km, basically same as the US numbers. I think the Model 3 is being advertised as being able to meet that range, and so is the Model S and Model X, but they only account for constant speed causing, not the normal accelerating and decelerating that happens in the real world, and when accounting for those, the Tesla's range drop off the map. A hybrid car, can easily top those numbers, heck my 918 can do over 700km in one tank on the highway in hybrid mode, think only diesel cars can top that. 

--

Hybrid cars are the worst of both worlds. Fixed that for you angry

Regarding the mileage of EV‘s, I understand that cold-weather (near freezing or below) drastically affects battery life. A knowledgeable friend of mine says that cold temperatures can virtually cut battery life in half.  Does anyone have more information?

SciFrog:

Hybrid cars are the worst of both worlds. Fixed that for you angry

Smiley

You never get the hybrid concept.

In performance cars like the 918 it makes a lot of sense. And maybe on the Panamera TTS if you can cope with the weight. But for normal cars, there just is no way to have a combustion engine good enough combined with a decent size battery that can run long enough and that doesn’t make the car anemic.

The only hybrids that ran like they are anemic are the Priuses...........

None of the Porsche hybrids are bad, and I even drove Mercedes' S class hybrid before and it is fine.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM