Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SL65 Order

Just ordered a sl65 limited edition car. Special Silver Arrow metallic paint as on the SLR, carbon fiber interior and a group of options otherwise available separately from Mercedes. Dealer said cars are already in the country. Other cars considered were the GT2 and the Stradale.

Re: SL65 Order

What made you go for the benzo

Open air motoring, power and styling, SL65 has mechanical diff lock so putting down power will be easier; plus modified traction aid systems for sportier driving.

Open air motoring, power and styling, SL65 has mechanical diff lock so putting down power will be easier; plus modified traction aid systems for sportier driving.

Quote:
    marten said:

I think you made a good choice, even if I think that the GT2 and Challenge Stradale are more of a "driver's" car requiring more involvement and creating more fun.
    But the SL65 AMG is actually, in my opinion, a better deal than the SLR, so CONGRATS and enjoy your new baby. Post some pictures and a short driving report whenever you find the time. Traction is still not that perfect, even with the LSD and the weight makes it not really a good track performer. But the SL65 looks great, it has an incredible engine, very powerful and it is sporty too up to a certain point. For open air fun driving definetely a good choice.
    But if I may ask: why no 996 Turbo S Cab for example?

Quote:
    marten said:

I think you made a good choice, even if I think that the GT2 and Challenge Stradale are more of a "driver's" car requiring more involvement and creating more fun.
    But the SL65 AMG is actually, in my opinion, a better deal than the SLR, so CONGRATS and enjoy your new baby. Post some pictures and a short driving report whenever you find the time. Traction is still not that perfect, even with the LSD and the weight makes it not really a good track performer. But the SL65 looks great, it has an incredible engine, very powerful and it is sporty too up to a certain point. For open air fun driving definetely a good choice.
    But if I may ask: why no 996 Turbo S Cab for example?

The Turbo S Cab was considered, but I did not want a cloth top and was not a fan of Turbo styling on a cabriolet.

The Turbo S Cab was considered, but I did not want a cloth top and was not a fan of Turbo styling on a cabriolet.

Marten, looking forward to your views on 65. Have had 2 SL55s which I have enjoyed immensely. Am getting 65 in Spr05.

Marten, looking forward to your views on 65. Have had 2 SL55s which I have enjoyed immensely. Am getting 65 in Spr05.

Marten, you've got yourself an amazing car! I saw it at a showroom a month ago. it looked vicious.

My friend's dad has the CL65. He took me for a ride in it and I was blown away!! The car was really fast. I hope next time I'll get the chance to drive it .

I'm sure you gonna enjoy yours.

Good luck

Marten, you've got yourself an amazing car! I saw it at a showroom a month ago. it looked vicious.

My friend's dad has the CL65. He took me for a ride in it and I was blown away!! The car was really fast. I hope next time I'll get the chance to drive it .

I'm sure you gonna enjoy yours.

Good luck

Congrats, an SL65 in Silver Arrow silver is my absolute dream car, save the SLR

Please post pictures when you get it. I have seen acceleration data of the SL65 reaching 62.5mph in 3.9 seconds, and 0-100mph in 8.2, as fast if not faster than a GT2. And its an auto, so you will consistently see those times.

I was curious, does anyone know if future/facelift cars under the 65 moniker, will get the full 1200NM and over 700bhp, which the engine is already capable of?

Whatever, you have bought a serious V12 monster!

Congrats, an SL65 in Silver Arrow silver is my absolute dream car, save the SLR

Please post pictures when you get it. I have seen acceleration data of the SL65 reaching 62.5mph in 3.9 seconds, and 0-100mph in 8.2, as fast if not faster than a GT2. And its an auto, so you will consistently see those times.

I was curious, does anyone know if future/facelift cars under the 65 moniker, will get the full 1200NM and over 700bhp, which the engine is already capable of?

Whatever, you have bought a serious V12 monster!

Quote:

but the auto tranny isn't. and they should do something about the traction first. lack of HP and torque surely isn't the SL 65's problem.

Quote:

but the auto tranny isn't. and they should do something about the traction first. lack of HP and torque surely isn't the SL 65's problem.

Congratulations! The SL65 AMG is amazing!

Congratulations! The SL65 AMG is amazing!

I saw a Black SL65 at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, It was black and just mean looking. It was 220K though. But it's worth it for all that power.

I saw a Black SL65 at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, It was black and just mean looking. It was 220K though. But it's worth it for all that power.

Great car marten! Please keep us informed!

Great car marten! Please keep us informed!

I think that is one of the few cars I'll have over a 996 Turbo/Cab

I think that is one of the few cars I'll have over a 996 Turbo/Cab

Quote:
    TopherV said:

my thoughts exactly.

to each his own, and the SL65 is certainly a supercar by anyones' standards.

however, for friendly arguments sake, as this is a very friendly and informative community, here are some of my thoughts:

i dont think that 4 cylinders and a different form of forced induction, or two turbos are worth the 50 grand over the SL55AMG and SL600 respectively (even taking into account the limited production - which in my opinion is because they can't sell more, not because they are trying to keep it exclusive)

can a 2WD platform, no matter how many electronic/mechanical devices and driving experience hindering nannies, REALLY put down 700HP/1200NM of power? - i'm no expert , but i don't think so.

value-wise, are there better buys, it depends on the individual's own attitude twoards money, but i think the vast majority of the members here would have chosen other cars

not for their power, but for the overall experience. (and i use overall loosely, because that ALSO heavily depends on the individual)

examples at that price point:

911 Turbo S cabriolet - full options
    360 Modena Spyder - (considering you wait 2 years )
    GT2

and various other examples

you mentioned you wanted a convertible and it must be a hardtop,

i can understand the convertible part

however, i cannot understand making, what i believe is a huge compromise (again, completely my opinion) just to get the hardtop convertible.

anyawys, this is all for the sake of friendly argument, (which is why i love this forum/rennlist/ppbb)

i commend you on your choice and you certainly now own the most powerful production convertible in the world, hell, production car in the world.

just make sure to get that baby delimited

Quote:
    TopherV said:

my thoughts exactly.

to each his own, and the SL65 is certainly a supercar by anyones' standards.

however, for friendly arguments sake, as this is a very friendly and informative community, here are some of my thoughts:

i dont think that 4 cylinders and a different form of forced induction, or two turbos are worth the 50 grand over the SL55AMG and SL600 respectively (even taking into account the limited production - which in my opinion is because they can't sell more, not because they are trying to keep it exclusive)

can a 2WD platform, no matter how many electronic/mechanical devices and driving experience hindering nannies, REALLY put down 700HP/1200NM of power? - i'm no expert , but i don't think so.

value-wise, are there better buys, it depends on the individual's own attitude twoards money, but i think the vast majority of the members here would have chosen other cars

not for their power, but for the overall experience. (and i use overall loosely, because that ALSO heavily depends on the individual)

examples at that price point:

911 Turbo S cabriolet - full options
    360 Modena Spyder - (considering you wait 2 years )
    GT2

and various other examples

you mentioned you wanted a convertible and it must be a hardtop,

i can understand the convertible part

however, i cannot understand making, what i believe is a huge compromise (again, completely my opinion) just to get the hardtop convertible.

anyawys, this is all for the sake of friendly argument, (which is why i love this forum/rennlist/ppbb)

i commend you on your choice and you certainly now own the most powerful production convertible in the world, hell, production car in the world.

just make sure to get that baby delimited

Quote:
    RC said:
    Traction is still not that perfect, even with the LSD and the weight makes it not really a good track performer. But the SL65 looks great, it has an incredible engine, very powerful and it is sporty too up to a certain point.

Hello RC

I agree with some of your reply;

1) Traction even in tight corners is excellent - even when ESP is turned off. (but you have to be carefull with the throttle)

2) It is defenetely NOT a track car - you're absolutely right. Took my already two times on a race track, and it is hard to follow smaller cars in tight corners - but can get them again even on short straights.

I was woundering HOW many people here, has been driven the SL65 in real, to give this supercar such a bad response.

Kind regards from France

Walter

Quote:
    RC said:
    Traction is still not that perfect, even with the LSD and the weight makes it not really a good track performer. But the SL65 looks great, it has an incredible engine, very powerful and it is sporty too up to a certain point.

Hello RC

I agree with some of your reply;

1) Traction even in tight corners is excellent - even when ESP is turned off. (but you have to be carefull with the throttle)

2) It is defenetely NOT a track car - you're absolutely right. Took my already two times on a race track, and it is hard to follow smaller cars in tight corners - but can get them again even on short straights.

I was woundering HOW many people here, has been driven the SL65 in real, to give this supercar such a bad response.

Kind regards from France

Walter

Quote:
    walter in Fr. said:

Some of them have driven AMG cars, some of them not. Nearly ALL of them choose to give it a bad response.

Walter, it has to be said, your car is beautiful, may I ask is it Silver Arrow silver, or brilliant silver? Regardless, its a beauty. When can we expect some 0-60/0-100mph videos of the speedometer or tach?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690944 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410104 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256164 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235390 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858765 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775068 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM