Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: A45 AMG?

Carlos from Spain:
    the-missile:
    RC:

I have a completely different kind of problem right now, pretty unexpected: My wife seems to love the Evoque and she wants to use it more often, she also wants to name it. My daughter of course is completely against it because she says this is "her" car... Family stuff. Smiley

Smiley this is just the beginning of spoiled kid attitude... 

That is a pretty gratuitous statement... how would you know enough to claim something like that with the information available to you about his daughter, i.e. none? You don't even have kids  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Smiley You have a daughter and you understand. This is not about spoiling kids (we all love to spoil our kids but if I'd want to spoil my daughter with a car, I would get her a kermit green Huracan Smiley Smiley) but safety and making sure she has a car which doesn't require driving to the workshop once a week. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

the-missile:
    RC:

I have a completely different kind of problem right now, pretty unexpected: My wife seems to love the Evoque and she wants to use it more often, she also wants to name it. My daughter of course is completely against it because she says this is "her" car... Family stuff. Smiley

Smiley this is just the beginning of spoiled kid attitude... get her a Duster. Slow, cheap and safe.

Get your wife the Evoque for her daily.

Take the E63 for your daily.

Job done.

''Il vaut mieux prevenir que guerir''

A Dacia? Seriously? I would never get one, not even if I had no money, I would rather use my bicycle. Smiley

Btw: You'd be surprised with my daughter, very humble, shy, very bright and nice kid, I am surprised myself how me and my wife could produce something like her. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

A Dacia? Seriously? I would never get one, not even if I had no money, I would rather use my bicycle. Smiley

Btw: You'd be surprised with my daughter, very humble, shy, very bright and nice kid, I am surprised myself how me and my wife could produce something like her. Smiley

What is wrong with the Dacia? the badge only. Smiley

it is reliable, retains very good value, cheap to operate and maintain plus it is fast enough. On top of that, safer than mustang at crash test. Smiley

for beginner driver, it is great, not for you, you have E63, not for the wife, she will have the Evoque.

Every member has its own vehicle with no clash between each other including giving name, usability or argument.

I can see coming report within the next few weeks... I have super vision power as well Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

What is wrong with the Dacia? the badge only. Smiley

it is reliable, retains very good value, cheap to operate and maintain plus it is fast enough. On top of that, safer than mustang at crash test. Smiley

for beginner driver, it is great, not for you, you have E63, not for the wife, she will have the Evoque.

Every member has its own vehicle with no clash between each other including giving name, usability or argument.

I can see coming report within the next few weeks... I have super vision power as well Smiley

My wife gets her C63 S AMG Convertible soon...she doesn't really need an Evoque. Smiley

Dacia is crap, sorry. Never ever.

--

Carlos from Spain:

That is a pretty gratuitous statement... how would you know enough to claim something like that with the information available to you about his daughter, i.e. none? You don't even have kids  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

--

I started by a smiley...Smileyand the sentence he wrote clearly calls for fight Smiley before even getting the car Smiley between the ladies.

having kids or not is not a concern to see when they are spoiled  and corresponding attitude. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

My kids may be spoiled but they have no attitude, never asked for anything, me and my wife always gave them what we thought was necessary but the kids never demanded anything, quite to our surprise.

Like I said, good kids...I am very surprised, not even sure how we deserve them. Smiley

--

RC:

Did you own one? Have you driven one?

Are you just afraid of its social status?

It is not fancy, and apart from that I don't know what is the issue about it...of course, nobody turn head looking at it. perfect for James Bond lifestyle.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

I could tell you stories... Smiley

A Dacia has a social status? Smiley Smiley

It is not fancy, and apart from that I don't know what is the issue about it...of course, nobody turn head looking at it. perfect for James Bond lifestyle.

Dacia is crap. Period. Same goes to Lada. Smart is a different story but still...to use Walter Röhrl's words...a motorized wheelchair. Smiley

--

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:

I could tell you stories... Smiley

A Dacia has a social status? Smiley Smiley

Dacia is crap. Period. Same goes to Lada. Smart is a different story but still...to use Walter Röhrl's words...a motorized wheelchair. Smiley

Many friends own one in France. Here in uae, there are a lot as well. I can tell you stories but good ones.

Social status is not the correct word, English is a language I use to communicate. I can say it carries an image linked to social status if you prefer? For a 18y old kid which will learn driving, it is perfect  

permit me to disagree with lada as same standard as new Dacia...this is not soviet brand anymore. 

We are talking about a car for a kid here which will have no use of it except burning fuel...and being mobile 😁

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Good stories about Dacia?  angel Impossible. indecision

Just as a hint: Most kids in her "social status" situation drive a Mini or a VW Golf over here. My neighbor, he is a cardiologist and has two daughters, leased two Mini Cooper for his daughters (both are only one year apart).

My wife's best friend son got a VW Golf (also a lease, not that bad, 250 EUR a month incl. insurance).

Another friend got his son a Suzuki whatever (don't know the model but it has a turbo and over 130 hp, small little rocket), also a lease. As you can see, leases are quite common here. Advantage is: You don't have to worry about repairs and reliability too much, also you never know what your kid will do in two or three years, so buying a car can be an issue if your kid moves to New Zealand (the son of a friend of ours). I was thinking about buying a car but only crap out there under 10k.

--

What's crap on a Dacia? It's just Renault tech these days, they even look pretty (the Dusters).

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:

What's crap on a Dacia? It's just Renault tech these days, they even look pretty (the Dusters).

So when do you get yours? 

--

RC:
    Porker:

Smiley 

I don't need one nor am I a beginning driver looking for something safe and affordable?

Just asking, what -except for the badge- is crap on a Dacia nowadays...

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    RC:
    Porker:

Smiley 

I don't need one nor am I a beginning driver looking for something safe and affordable?

Just asking, what -except for the badge- is crap on a Dacia nowadays...

Everything...engine...chassis...comfort... I prefer a Japanese or Korean car over any Dacia.

--

RC:

Everything...engine...chassis...comfort... I prefer a Japanese or Korean car over any Dacia.

engine...if it is Diesel as we are talking here they are the same as small displacement engine from Renault which are also equipped on A, B and C classes from Mercedes... Smiley not as crap as you may think.

115hp, less than 12s to 100km/h fast enough for a beginner. Smiley

all techs available in it for a fraction of any other manufacturer option catalog. Smiley

all reviewers eat twice their tongue after the test. nothing can beat it in its segment and it is even competiting with at least double price tag competitors.

Japanese or Korean have no chance. Dacia, since its reborn is a success for a reason.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

engine...if it is Diesel as we are talking here they are the same as small displacement engine from Renault which are also equipped on A, B and C classes from Mercedes... Smiley not as crap as you may think.

115hp, less than 12s to 100km/h fast enough for a beginner. Smiley

all techs available in it for a fraction of any other manufacturer option catalog. Smiley

all reviewers eat twice their tongue after the test. nothing can beat it in its segment and it is even competiting with at least double price tag competitors.

Japanese or Korean have no chance. Dacia, since its reborn is a success for a reason.

H&M is also a success for a reason, it is cheap. Wash this stuff a couple of times and you can throw it into the trash. Smiley Get some quality clothing and you can wear it for five years and more (letting aside the changing styles Smiley).

Dacia is crap, period. You won't convince me.  Smiley

Also, why should I give my kids something I would never get?! Smiley

--

RC, you make me dream Smiley and your visionof this world is sometime fascinating.

why the hell the entire world is not buying LV, Gucci and DiorSmiley and getting cheap Zara stuff Smiley because money is not flowing for like 99.9% of the world maybe Smiley

Dacia was crap till Renault put it back on track to a decent entry level manufacturer while maintaining costs low because of large usage of parts coming from different models. it is a success. you can deny it but it is a fact.

I am very interested to know your first car as a beginner and who paid for it? I can tell you my story, I sometime used my mom's car till I got money to purchase my own. My parents were cool to basically giving me the right to sometime used their car Smileyas afterall it was their tool to go to work and it was just fun for me...

Why giving your kid something you will never want?

because different usage, different goal and giving responsibilities to the newbie...with limited exposure to yourself.Smiley the boy will be at the door step in 2 years, he is car nuts, what will be his daily? AMG? Porsche? Smiley

or you can stop turning around and give her the R8. this is the supercar that you praise, she is not crazy, you don't use it everyday and it is already in the garage. E63 same story. Smiley

You love watches, especially super luxury watches, the day one of your kid will ask for one will be fun. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

RC, you make me dream Smiley and your visionof this world is sometime fascinating.

why the hell the entire world is not buying LV, Gucci and DiorSmiley and getting cheap Zara stuff Smiley because money is not flowing for like 99.9% of the world maybe Smiley

Do you really think I buy LV, Gucci and Dior only? Smiley A Range Rover Evoque is a small and affordable SUV in my book, not a luxury car. Smiley I mean every middle class family drives a family car at least worth 70-80k EUR over here and I doubt they even touch LV, Gucci or Dior products. Smiley

Dacia was crap till Renault put it back on track to a decent entry level manufacturer while maintaining costs low because of large usage of parts coming from different models. it is a success. you can deny it but it is a fact.

It is a success because it is cheap, it is somewhat reliable tech (no wonder, there is no real tech there Smiley) and it has been accompanied by a very clever advertisement campaign.

I am very interested to know your first car as a beginner and who paid for it? I can tell you my story, I sometime used my mom's car till I got money to purchase my own. My parents were cool to basically giving me the right to sometime used their car Smileyas afterall it was their tool to go to work and it was just fun for me...

My first car was a used Lancia, it broke down after 200 km because the dealer threw in an oil exchange but forgot to actually add oil after the let the oil out. Smiley I know, I know...how could I not "get" it but the car came fresh out of the dealership, so why would I check the oil level? Also no warning light. Luckily, the dealer was a customer of my parents and took the blame (it was his fault), so he took the car back. In return, my parents got me a brand-new Fiat 127 Sport with 75 hp, a real rocket at that time (0-100 kph in 12 seconds). For a reason: I was supposed to start university and I had no car, so they bought me a brand-new car, so no more surprises. Smiley This was always the mentality in our family: Education (school) comes first, everything else is not that important. Like money. Smiley

Why giving your kid something you will never want?

because different usage, different goal and giving responsibilities to the newbie...with limited exposure to yourself.Smiley the boy will be at the door step in 2 years, he is car nuts, what will be his daily? AMG? Porsche? Smiley

My boy wants a V8 pickup right now and my wife promised him one if he finishes school with a certain grade. Not very likely though Smiley. I would never get him something very fast but at some point, he needs to learn how to drive. I will make sure that he gets the proper training but no Mustang GT or Porsche for him, this is for sure. Smiley Not even a VW Golf R. Smiley 

Btw: The son of a good acquittance got an A45 from his grandpa, no kidding. We were already joking that he is going to crash and die in this car. He has it for over a year now, not even an accident. He did several driving training courses with the car. I was driving a Lancia Delta HF Integrale at age 19, OK...professionally but a couple of months later privately as well. Dangerous car, no ESP, fast as hell, no accidents but slid once over all four wheels into a field. Smiley

or you can stop turning around and give her the R8. this is the supercar that you praise, she is not crazy, you don't use it everyday and it is already in the garage. E63 same story. Smiley

She likes the R8 but her dream car is the Huracan... Smiley

You love watches, especially super luxury watches, the day one of your kid will ask for one will be fun. Smiley

Are you kidding me, I basically had to force them to get an Apple watch (and I gave up with my son since he never wore his...series 1, so I never got him one again)?! 

Like I said before, you don't know my kids at all. I wish everyone had kids like them, less worries and less fights for parents in this world. Smiley

--

You still answering the boys, bud ...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

RC:

I mean every middle class family drives a family car at least worth 70-80k EUR over here and I doubt they even touch LV, Gucci or Dior 

Are you kidding me, I basically had to force them to get an Apple Watch

Christian,

average German salary is almost the same as France and precisely lower...and far from having the means to afford a 70-80k€ car. Here is the top 10 cars of your country:

1. Volkswagen Golf (228 227)
    2. Volkswagen Passat (72 430)
    3. Volkswagen Tiguan (71 437)
    4. Mercedes Classe-C (68 584)
    5. Volkswagen Polo (61 378)
    6. Audi A4 (59 469)
    7. Skoda Octavia (59 147)
    8. Opel Astra (56 327)
    9. Volkswagen Touran (52 182)
    10. Opel Corsa (51 349)

average price of the fantastic car list is less than 30k€. 

Top 5% at best can put 70k in a car...this is not definition of middle class income which is between 40k€ To 60k€ a year when you have 2 kids...

dont worry for the Apple Watch, I got series 3 for free, it is collecting dust. I would not do that with a proper watch 😁

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC: My wife has a 2017 Discovery Sport with the 180bhp diesel engine and we have had lots of issues with DPF regens causing engine oil dilution and early service intervals. This is a major problem that is discussed on many UK Land Rover/Range Rover forums and it affects the Evoque too. See this for more details - https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6159

If we were to purchase again, we would go for a petrol engine. 

BTW: My wife previously owned an Evoque for 5 years (purchased new in 2012) and absolutely loved it, no issues at all with the old 2.2 litre diesel engine.

throt:

You still answering the boys, bud ...

Of course...I don't want to leave them completely clueless. Smiley

--

Atlantis:

RC: My wife has a 2017 Discovery Sport with the 180bhp diesel engine and we have had lots of issues with DPF regens causing engine oil dilution and early service intervals. This is a major problem that is discussed on many UK Land Rover/Range Rover forums and it affects the Evoque too. See this for more details - https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6159

If we were to purchase again, we would go for a petrol engine. 

BTW: My wife previously owned an Evoque for 5 years (purchased new in 2012) and absolutely loved it, no issues at all with the old 2.2 litre diesel engine.

Thank you, will take that in consideration.

The 2019 Evoque has, according to dealer, a completely overhauled Diesel engine (WLTP compliant, Euro 6d temp) and he says that the previous issues with the particulate filter have been eliminated. Of course he can tell me whatever BS he wants since I have no clue but thanks for the advice, highly appreciated.

Of course I would prefer the petrol engine but it could be too much for our daughter, still need to debate that with my wife. The Diesel engine surprisingly feels more powerful in the city due to the massive torque, which could also be an issue for a beginner. My daughter drove our Mini JCW a couple of times on a closed training track and she handled the 231 hp pretty well (no nervous throttle foot) but you never know...

--

the-missile:
    RC:

I mean every middle class family drives a family car at least worth 70-80k EUR over here and I doubt they even touch LV, Gucci or Dior 

Are you kidding me, I basically had to force them to get an Apple Watch

Christian,

average German salary is almost the same as France and precisely lower...and far from having the means to afford a 70-80k€ car. Here is the top 10 cars of your country:

1. Volkswagen Golf (228 227)
    2. Volkswagen Passat (72 430)
    3. Volkswagen Tiguan (71 437)
    4. Mercedes Classe-C (68 584)
    5. Volkswagen Polo (61 378)
    6. Audi A4 (59 469)
    7. Skoda Octavia (59 147)
    8. Opel Astra (56 327)
    9. Volkswagen Touran (52 182)
    10. Opel Corsa (51 349)

average price of the fantastic car list is less than 30k€. 

Top 5% at best can put 70k in a car...this is not definition of middle class income which is between 40k€ To 60k€ a year when you have 2 kids...

dont worry for the Apple Watch, I got series 3 for free, it is collecting dust. I would not do that with a proper watch 😁

Most German buyers buy full optioned cars and furthermore, most of these smaller cars are second or third cars. Most family cars here are Audi A6, Mercedes E class, BMW 5 series, Audi Q5/Q7, Mercedes GLC/GLE or BMW X3/X5, something like that, very often station wagons. Most of them are definitely over 60-70 or even 80k EUR.

Most of the cars you listed are also very popular business cars, registered to businesses.

--

My first car was a Golf IV V6 4motion, was a great car...not too fast but alos not too slow. Actually wanted an old M5 (5.0l V8 400HP) but this was definitely too much with 18.

RC:

I have to admit that the A45 attracts me most, I wouldn't really want my daughter to drive this car.

Had a similar offer for a RS3 sedan (worth around 73k) but it wasn't fully loaded and the car wasn't produced yet.

At this point, many dealers are trying to get rid of stock cars and cars without particulate filter, so some very nice deals are possible. The cash deal for this car would be 30%/(!) off (again, brand-new), so...

I am worried that in October, when the Mini JCW goes (and it has to go, buying price would be 20k, I'm not crazy), I won't find a car like the A45 for that kind of little money. 

Decisions... 

Why don't you buy a used (cheap) car for your daughter and get the A45 for yourself?

MKSGR:
    RC:

I have to admit that the A45 attracts me most, I wouldn't really want my daughter to drive this car.

Had a similar offer for a RS3 sedan (worth around 73k) but it wasn't fully loaded and the car wasn't produced yet.

At this point, many dealers are trying to get rid of stock cars and cars without particulate filter, so some very nice deals are possible. The cash deal for this car would be 30%/(!) off (again, brand-new), so...

I am worried that in October, when the Mini JCW goes (and it has to go, buying price would be 20k, I'm not crazy), I won't find a car like the A45 for that kind of little money. 

Decisions... 

Why don't you buy a used (cheap) car for your daughter and get the A45 for yourself?

Too many cars and I want to get my daughter a new car, so no issues whatsoever. I never really wanted the A45 but it was a good occasion to get one "cheap". 

Right now, my daughter doesn't even have her driver's license yet and she is at home until next summer (when she hopefully knows what she wants to study...), so the RR Evoque makes most sense, since me and my wife can use the car as well for the city and skiing (wife). I can still get her something smaller at some point but probably also a lease, smaller new cars are around 150-200 EUR per month, no big deal. New car, no issues.

The Evoque is smaller than a Macan, so...

--

and warranty on new.

Plus, when you hand the keys to your daughter she looks at you with a big smile. Happy days, If was worth it indecision kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

and warranty on new.

Plus, when you hand the keys to your daughter she looks at you with a big smile. Happy days, If was worth it indecision kiss..

Smiley Smiley True but honestly, with new cars, you barely have issues and you also feel good about yourself that you got your kid a new and safe car.

--

100%, realiability is a must, its part of the safety issue, thel ast thing you want is your 18yr old daughter stranded in the middle of the road somewhere because of a problem with the car.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764726 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436741 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261155 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258056 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82697 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877101 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809222 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM