Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: A45 AMG?

And I thought I was excessive buying my son a Golf R....................

--

I think RC did the right thing here, nothing better than a slow, crappy car for a young novice driver kiss

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:

I think RC did the right thing here, nothing better than a slow, crappy car for a young novice driver kiss

Smiley I don't know why everyone thinks the Range Rover Evoque is something special, I would have never considered this small SUV exclusively for myself or my wife. Smiley I get the feeling many of you haven't even seen the Evoque up close, it is a pretty small SUV and the interior quality isn't really that great (OK, it has leather but thats it).

For 350 EUR per month, it is an OK price for a 52k EUR car in my opinion, fully loaded.

The Mini Countryman without(!) AWD we eyed before that was 340 EUR, a car with a crappy 3-cyl. turbo engine and with auto and barely some options. OK, insurance was included (for 35 EUR a month, they have a special now, incl. beginners!) but still, a lot of money for such a crappy car.

I could get my daughter a Toyota Aygo for 99 EUR or a Smart but neither me or my wife would want to drive such a crap. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

the-missile:
    RC:

How do you know my daughter doesn't know how to drive? 😉

It is not your daughter, it is just the ratio of dead people on the roads...

My daughter is preparing to go to university, we don't even know if and where she is going to need a car.

never needed a car for UniSmiley going from home to room/studio/appartment needs a transport as train, car or plane. then from your place to Uni it is usually normal to take public transport.Smiley

In my family, we always rewarded good school work, it is a mentality kind of thing. Also keeps kids away from trouble because if they concentrate on (school) work, they don't think about doing stupid things.

I didn't need 50Ke car to avoid stupid things but yeah, each kid has a threshold Smiley

You remind me of my daughter's best friend father: He warned me that I spoil her too much.

well I have tons of stories which state the opposite with some ex-spoiled kids unable to even get their own food now... and constantly fed by wire transfer from parents. The neighborhood is not the benchmark. Smiley

Or to make it short: Give me the courtesy of knowing my kids well and what is good for them. 😎

nosns

Different question: How many kids do you have? People think it is easy to put kids through their early life but you'd be surprised how many obstacles there are. Also, since me and my wife are in a profession where we have a lot of contact with other parents and their kids, we know pretty good how well we are doing with our education or not. Smiley  All I can say is that we have wonderful kids but I guess everyone has a different definition of what wonderful kids are. For me, it is the fact that they are very close to us, they don't lie (to us), they don't drink or do drugs, no tattoos either Smiley, no bad friends, no bad habits (OK, maybe one or two Smiley), no demands in material stuff (other than what we provide them with voluntarily), good in school, very bright, no bad surprises (so far). 90% of our friends could tell stories... Just met a good friend from my childhood at the airport, he has three daughters and a son. His son dropped school twice, will go to a boarding school soon because of his erratic behavior (he is 15, like my son) and we heard from his brother that his son smoked pot at age 10(!), so no surprises here. Smiley

What I'm trying to say: I am 53, my wife is 50, we are pretty conservative in our education but our kids call us the coolest  parents on the planet and which parent doesn't want to hear that. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

You were...a Range Rover Evoque is a snail vs. the Golf R. Smiley

--

RC:
    the-missile:
    RC:

How do you know my daughter doesn't know how to drive? 😉

It is not your daughter, it is just the ratio of dead people on the roads...

My daughter is preparing to go to university, we don't even know if and where she is going to need a car.

never needed a car for UniSmiley going from home to room/studio/appartment needs a transport as train, car or plane. then from your place to Uni it is usually normal to take public transport.Smiley

In my family, we always rewarded good school work, it is a mentality kind of thing. Also keeps kids away from trouble because if they concentrate on (school) work, they don't think about doing stupid things.

I didn't need 50Ke car to avoid stupid things but yeah, each kid has a threshold Smiley

You remind me of my daughter's best friend father: He warned me that I spoil her too much.

well I have tons of stories which state the opposite with some ex-spoiled kids unable to even get their own food now... and constantly fed by wire transfer from parents. The neighborhood is not the benchmark. Smiley

Or to make it short: Give me the courtesy of knowing my kids well and what is good for them. 😎

nosns

Different question: How many kids do you have? People think it is easy to put kids through their early life but you'd be surprised how many obstacles there are. Also, since me and my wife are in a profession where we have a lot of contact with other parents and their kids, we know pretty good how well we are doing with our education or not. Smiley  All I can say is that we have wonderful kids but I guess everyone has a different definition of what wonderful kids are. For me, it is the fact that they are very close to us, they don't lie (to us), they don't drink or do drugs, no tattoos either Smiley, no bad friends, no bad habits (OK, maybe one or two Smiley), no demands in material stuff (other than what we provide them with voluntarily), good in school, very bright, no bad surprises (so far). 90% of our friends could tell stories... Just met a good friend from my childhood at the airport, he has three daughters and a son. His son dropped school twice, will go to a boarding school soon because of his erratic behavior (he is 15, like my son) and we heard from his brother that his son smoked pot at age 10(!), so no surprises here. Smiley

What I'm trying to say: I am 53, my wife is 50, we are pretty conservative in our education but our kids call us the coolest  parents on the planet and which parent doesn't want to hear that. Smiley Smiley

No kids for now. 10y of happy wedding though Smiley

being the coolest parents is the target for sure...but not sure you are that conservative Smiley

of course it is just my point of view and I am probably following the way I was educated  where everything you get in life which is expensive and / or unnecessary comes from hardwork, your own hardwork. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

spudgun:

this is what I call Renault Clio in my language. not fancy Evoque Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:

I think you are. Smiley and not only with the Golf R Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    spudgun:

Me and my wife would never drive a Clio, so this is completely out of the question.

Again: This needs to be a car my wife and me can use as well occasionally. There are situations where an AMG Mercedes or R8 isn't "appropriate" and/or we need a smaller car, for example when our son (he is 15) does his driving training (there is an official training facility near our location and he loves driving) or when there is a lot of snow in the mountains and my wife goes skiing with her friends (the E63 S AMG has AWD and can be set higher by 4 cm up to 100 km/h but it is no SUV).

We even turned down the offer for the 240 hp version of the Evoque because it would be too fast for our daughter (7.3 seconds instead of 10 seconds from 0-100 kph). This is a true sacrifice... Smiley

Another point is comfort: The Evoque is fully loaded, which adds to the driving fun. 

--

the-missile:
    spudgun:

Like I said mine is getting a five year old (but still 5 star NCAP) 60hp VW Polo, OK its pimped up a bit with nice VW bodykit. brand new tyres fully serviced and nano coated etc but it will be a gift worth about £5K which she will then have to look after and learn about running costs and depreciation. I thought I was being relatively extravagant but not compared to my flash Rennteam brethren Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

the-missile:
    Whoopsy:

I think you are. Smiley and not only with the Golf R Smiley

Smiley ,

Yep,,, none of throts business, but , Christian, I would have purchase a used car but a safe used car. Think about it, you have set the bar high in terms of standard of ride for her now, hence the saying ‘’spoilt’’. She also may have a scrape here and there too, that would not be so bad on a used one.

Just have a little chat with her later and tell her the boys on Bushteam say you should have an old banger. If she is a good kid, like you say she is, everything will be hunky dory Smiley...Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

TB993tt:
    the-missile:
    spudgun:

Like I said mine is getting a five year old (but still 5 star NCAP) 60hp VW Polo, OK its pimped up a bit with nice VW bodykit. brand new tyres fully serviced and nano coated etc but it will be a gift worth about £5K which she will then have to look after and learn about running costs and depreciation. I thought I was being relatively extravagant but not compared to my flash Rennteam brethren Smiley

that is the top of the range in my book Smiley

you are extravagant Sir Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:
    the-missile:
    spudgun:

Me and my wife would never drive a Clio, so this is completely out of the question.

Again: This needs to be a car my wife and me can use as well occasionally. There are situations where an AMG Mercedes or R8 isn't "appropriate" and/or we need a smaller car, for example when our son (he is 15) does his driving training (there is an official training facility near our location and he loves driving) or when there is a lot of snow in the mountains and my wife goes skiing with her friends (the E63 S AMG has AWD and can be set higher by 4 cm up to 100 km/h but it is no SUV).

We even turned down the offer for the 240 hp version of the Evoque because it would be too fast for our daughter (7.3 seconds instead of 10 seconds from 0-100 kph). This is a true sacrifice... Smiley

Another point is comfort: The Evoque is fully loaded, which adds to the driving fun. 

Oh,, okay,

it’s you that wants the Evoque. ‘’Man Maths’’ Smiley..Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

the-missile:

that is the top of the range in my book Smiley

you are extravagant Sir Smiley

SmileySmiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Don’t get the Evoque. A terrible SUV. The RR is a terrific choice. For that price it’s a no brainer. 

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

I don't really want the Evoque but the alternatives in this price range are... Smiley

Daughter always felt safer in a SUV, so I thought we do her some good by getting one. 

My wife hates Mini, the Countryman was also pretty expensive (especially compared vs the Evoque).

BMW? The X1 and X2 were our choices but daughter doesn't like BMW too much (all of our older friends have BMWs, she kind of got the feeling that BMW is for old people Smiley) and a X2 would be in the same price range like the Evoque, with less options.

Not many other choices: Audi? Not many 6d temp cars available yet, also pretty expensive (should have gotten that RS3 for 500 EUR a couple of months ago Smiley but 400 hp for a beginner?).

Many Japanese/Korean cars in a cheaper price range but they don't really look good. Mustang GT 5.0 available for 420 EUR but too powerful for our kid.

We really looked everywhere but I think we found the perfect compromise. I'm not a fan of the 180 hp Diesel engine but honestly, the 240 hp version is too fast for my kid (7.3 seconds from 0-100 kph). The Diesel also has a pretty low consumption, around 8-9 liters /100 km, even if driven harder, so it is acceptable. 

--

nberry:

Don’t get the Evoque. A terrible SUV. The RR is a terrific choice. For that price it’s a no brainer. 

Not sure I understand. The Evoque is a Range Rover. Smiley

The car is actually pretty reliable according to what I read on the internet, the 180 hp Diesel is an OK engine.

The car looks pretty good in my opinion (for such a small SUV), it even looks more expensive (especially if you don't know the various RR models) than it is. Which actually is a bad thing if my daughter drives the car but thats a different story.

--

RC:

I don't really want the Evoque but the alternatives in this price range are... Smiley

Daughter always felt safer in a SUV, so I thought we do her some good by getting one. 

My wife hates Mini, the Countryman was also pretty expensive (especially compared vs the Evoque).

BMW? The X1 and X2 were our choices but daughter doesn't like BMW too much (all of our older friends have BMWs, she kind of got the feeling that BMW is for old people Smiley) and a X2 would be in the same price range like the Evoque, with less options.

Not many other choices: Audi? Not many 6d temp cars available yet, also pretty expensive (should have gotten that RS3 for 500 EUR a couple of months ago Smiley but 400 hp for a beginner?).

Many Japanese/Korean cars in a cheaper price range but they don't really look good. Mustang GT 5.0 available for 420 EUR but too powerful for our kid.

We really looked everywhere but I think we found the perfect compromise. I'm not a fan of the 180 hp Diesel engine but honestly, the 240 hp version is too fast for my kid (7.3 seconds from 0-100 kph). The Diesel also has a pretty low consumption, around 8-9 liters /100 km, even if driven harder, so it is acceptable. 

It does sound more like you are looking for a car for your wife and yourself, not your daughter Smiley Mustang GT 5.0? Smiley

You say everything else is expensive, but that is because you seem to only look at new cars which you can lease. Take the 3 year lease deal and buy a used car for EUR 10-12k instead (for example an A3 quattro). That does get her a lot of car which she can learn to look after and maybe sell in a few years to finance an upgrade herself. Rather than driving around in Jaguar Land Rover Deutschland GmbH's car which daddy pay the monthly lease for.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RC:
    nberry:

Not sure I understand. The Evoque is a Range Rover. Smiley

The car is actually pretty reliable according to what I read on the internet, the 180 hp Diesel is an OK engine.

The car looks pretty good in my opinion (for such a small SUV), it even looks more expensive (especially if you don't know the various RR models) than it is. Which actually is a bad thing if my daughter drives the car but thats a different story.

The Evoque is LR model. It is not a RR. The RR is a much bigger vehicle and much more luxurious. It sits higher and has completely different suspension. I have driven the Evoque a couple of times (a loaner car while my RR was being serviced) and hated it to the point I instructed my dealer not to give me one when I bring my RR in for service. They have complied.

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

RC:
    the-missile:
    spudgun:

Imagine! Would would the people SAY or god forbid, THINK! Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

bluelines:
    RC:

It does sound more like you are looking for a car for your wife and yourself, not your daughter Smiley Mustang GT 5.0? Smiley

Smiley Of course we are looking for something we can drive (and enjoy) as well. Our daughter stays a year at home and we don't even know if she isn't going to study in the US (she might have an opportunity to study computer science at Stanford university) or somewhere else in Europe/Germany, so the car could stay with us for a while and I really don't want to drive an Aygo or Smart. Smiley

You say everything else is expensive, but that is because you seem to only look at new cars which you can lease. Take the 3 year lease deal and buy a used car for EUR 10-12k instead (for example an A3 quattro). That does get her a lot of car which she can learn to look after and maybe sell in a few years to finance an upgrade herself. Rather than driving around in Jaguar Land Rover Deutschland GmbH's car which daddy pay the monthly lease for.

New cars are reliable and the lease cost is really OK. Our mentality was always that nothing should keep the kids from learning, they do not need to work as long as they do well at school. Like I said, different mentality but school is important to us. My parents were the same, wife's parents too. She can study whatever she wants and we support her in any way possible but once she has her university degree or whatever and a job, the (financial) support stops.

--

Porker:
    RC:
    the-missile:
    spudgun:

Imagine! Would would the people SAY or god forbid, THINK! Smiley

This is not about what people think (don't forget, I drive a R8, not a Huracan...or GT3 Smiley) but about how the car feels. I hate the Mini JCW, so you can imagine. Smiley You always seem to emanate from yourself when you are suggesting stuff but I'm not you, completely different mentality and background, cultural and intellectual. Smiley Smiley

--

Get her a Clio or even better Duster, SUV smiley

Get yourself and your wife something you can enjoyindecision

Evoque at 50k for beginner...even she starts at high level job like engineer, she will never be able to afford such a car. 

Active life start by a downgrade instead of upgrade...mail

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

You guys crack me up 😂...

Christian, you must have known that you was going to get flamed 😂...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

With his super vision power, he probably saw everybody's post before they got posted. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    throt:

With his super vision power, he probably saw everybody's post before they got posted. Smiley

Smiley,, Exactly Smiley.

The Gaffer puts the bait out and we all bite on it Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Of course...this is Rennteam and certain people love taking a swing at me. Smiley

We have a saying in Germany: Viel Feind, viel Ehr. I leave the translation to others. Smiley

On the other hand, I started this thread for a reason, it doesn't hurt to hear different opinions and experiences and believe it or not, I appreciate every single input.

Still thinking about getting that 240 hp fuel version though: I test-drove it and while it really seems to do 0-100 kph in 7.3 seconds, it surely feels different and pretty slow. Off the line, it is even painfully slow, perfect for a beginner. The 180 hp Diesel feels actually faster in the city due to the massive torque but I'm not sure which engine is easier to drive for a beginner. My daughter has proven during her "free" driving (legal but on a closed circuit, specifically made for beginners) that she drives pretty good and she is very attentive. My son on the other hand had multi-tasking issues, which could be related to his age though. Daughter definitely drives better but she is 17, he is 15, so... Two years in brain development mean a lot at this age.

I have a completely different kind of problem right now, pretty unexpected: My wife seems to love the Evoque and she wants to use it more often, she also wants to name it. My daughter of course is completely against it because she says this is "her" car... Family stuff. Smiley

--

RC:

I have a completely different kind of problem right now, pretty unexpected: My wife seems to love the Evoque and she wants to use it more often, she also wants to name it. My daughter of course is completely against it because she says this is "her" car... Family stuff. Smiley

Smiley this is just the beginning of spoiled kid attitude... get her a Duster. Slow, cheap and safe.

Get your wife the Evoque for her daily.

Take the E63 for your daily.

Job done.

''Il vaut mieux prevenir que guerir''

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

Smiley this is just the beginning of spoiled kid attitude... 

That is a pretty gratuitous statement... how would you know enough to claim something like that with the information available to you about his daughter, i.e. none? You don't even have kids  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC:
    throt:

Of course...this is Rennteam and certain people love taking a swing at me. Smiley

We have a saying in Germany: Viel Feind, viel Ehr. I leave the translation to others. Smiley

On the other hand, I started this thread for a reason, it doesn't hurt to hear different opinions and experiences and believe it or not, I appreciate every single input.

Still thinking about getting that 240 hp fuel version though: I test-drove it and while it really seems to do 0-100 kph in 7.3 seconds, it surely feels different and pretty slow. Off the line, it is even painfully slow, perfect for a beginner. The 180 hp Diesel feels actually faster in the city due to the massive torque but I'm not sure which engine is easier to drive for a beginner. My daughter has proven during her "free" driving (legal but on a closed circuit, specifically made for beginners) that she drives pretty good and she is very attentive. My son on the other hand had multi-tasking issues, which could be related to his age though. Daughter definitely drives better but she is 17, he is 15, so... Two years in brain development mean a lot at this age.

--

‘’Swing at me’’ Smiley,,

Okay, daughter with me, she has a Evoque. Ask, what engine did you go for, she paused, looked at me and said I have no idea but I put diesel in it Smiley.  I’ve had a go in it and would say it’s the 180hp diesel, off the mark, yes, shit off the shovel due to its strong torque. Nice to drive in and around town too so I can recommend.Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM