Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 992 Thread Closed

One tning that i noticed today by seeing the interior 992 spy pics is that i think those black panels around the shifter will only serve for esthetic reasons unlike the panamera.

Several of the fuctions that exist on the Panamera are on the black panels like heated/ventilated seats, psm, etc...If you guys notice, in the 992 there are specific physical buttons buttons for that under the nav screen, next to the AC and under the shifter.

Maybe on the facelift?

992!

Clip_5_.jpg
    1537791884160Clip_6_.jpg
    1537791884164Clip_7_.jpg

Panamera.

1537791994971Clip_5__.jpg

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

KMM:
    Grant:
    [...]

In a 50/50 car (like BMW), you have around 80% or more on the front axle during braking (dynamic weight shift) which is not as effective as a 911 (where you still have more than 50% weight on front axle under braking) where you can use all 4 wheels to slow the car more effectively.

On corner exit on a RWD car, you have more drive traction with a rear weight bias.

For handling on a track, the one thing that kills the fun for than anything is understeer. With rear weight bias, understeer is less of a problem.  With oversteer, you can counter-steer and slide the car a little and still be fast and have fun.  With understeer, you have to wait for the car to slow down for the front tires to gain traction (not fun at all).

Just a few examples...

[...]

Someone should inform Porsche about all this, so they can fix their recent mistake with the RSR.

We need a facepalm smiley... The mistake is thinking they did it to achieve a the 50-50 weight distribution of a front engined family sedan 1325269639981rolleyes.gif

They did it to bring the mass closer to the center and decrease the polar moment of inertia and to allow for a needed much larger rear diffuser which improves aerodinamics. It is still rear weight biased, moving the engine to the middle does not make it 50-50, mid-engined sportscars are not 50-50.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

m4ever:

The pronounced hips are really the coolest design feature of the new 911 (imho). 

Agreed, that rear pic looks amazing.  I was just surprised how wide it looked.  Looked like an RSR race car body almost. 

Carlos from Spain:It is still rear weight biased, moving the engine to the middle does not make it 50-50, mid-engined sportscars are not 50-50.

Right, the average mid-engined car is between 40/60 and 45/55.  The average 911 is between 35/65 and 40/60.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:It is still rear weight biased, moving the engine to the middle does not make it 50-50, mid-engined sportscars are not 50-50.

Right, the average mid-engined car is between 40/60 and 45/55.  The average 911 is between 35/65 and 40/60.

Don’t forget that the static weight distribution for a road car is different from a race car because a race car is much more dependent on aerodynamic forces.   Too much rearward weight distribution with additional downforce leads to greater propensity toward understeer, which scrubs away speed in a corner.   This is undesirable in a race car.   For a road car, even those high performance cars, the cars are tuned toward understeer as it makes the handling safer and more benign.  

Guys, you worry too much. The new 992 will be, dynamically speaking, a very fast car (of course). No issues here. Also probably even easier to drive fast than the current 991.2. Will it also be boring? This remains to be seen. I like how it looks but when Porsche reaches perfection, it starts to get boring. Not always but often.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Guys, you worry too much. The new 992 will be, dynamically speaking, a very fast car (of course). No issues here. Also probably even easier to drive fast than the current 991.2. Will it also be boring? This remains to be seen. I like how it looks but when Porsche reaches perfection, it starts to get boring. Not always but often.

Boring might be the wrong name. Un-exciting might describe it better.

It is like watching the same movie over and over again. It is just another 911 and yes, it will be the best 911 ever. 

Latest news... 992 should be presented next week in Paris. Of course, there could be last minute change...

Lars997:
    RC:

Boring might be the wrong name. Un-exciting might describe it better.

It is like watching the same movie over and over again. It is just another 911 and yes, it will be the best 911 ever. 

Agreed. The Turbo could be a different story with the hybrid, if it comes as planned/rumored.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

KresoF1:

Latest news... 992 should be presented next week in Paris. Of course, there could be last minute change...

If this happens, do you think the car will be shown at the LA auto show?

Yes, I think so!!!! (My Opinion)

If the car was/would shown in Paris dont see any reason why the car wouldnt be in Los Angeles (assuming Porsche will be at LA Auto Show).

Still think it would be stupid to show the car FIRST in Los Angeles first when European Customers are the ones getting it first and only 5/6 months later would our friends in North America get it!!!...Dont remember also any new Generation of the 911 (besides facelit´s) being shown outside of Europe!!!

Dont worry, whether it is going to be show is Paris first or not, i´m pretty sure (no inside info, just a guess) the 992 will be in Los Angeles!!!!

Regards!!!

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

If the car was/would shown in Paris dont see any reason why the car wouldnt be in Los Angeles (assuming Porsche will be at LA Auto Show).

Still think it would be stupid to show the car FIRST in Los Angeles first when European Customers are the ones getting it first and only 5/6 months later would our friends in North America get it!!!...Dont remember also any new Generation of the 911 (besides facelit´s) being shown outside of Europe!!!

Dont worry, whether it is going to be show is Paris first or not, i´m pretty sure (no inside info, just a guess) the 992 will be in Los Angeles!!!!

Regards!!!

California still remains a significant market for Porsche sales and China isn't too far away with myriad flights available, so an introduction at Los Angeles does make some sense.  Audi saw fit to debut its new BEV in northern California and if Porsche is to introduce a hybrid variant at the show, it strongly taps into the California sustainability vibe.  

Either way I was wondering since I plan on attending the LA auto show this year. Any other members thinking of going? Maybe we can meet there. 

CGX car nut:

Don’t forget that the static weight distribution for a road car is different from a race car because a race car is much more dependent on aerodynamic forces.   Too much rearward weight distribution with additional downforce leads to greater propensity toward understeer, which scrubs away speed in a corner.   This is undesirable in a race car.

That's why race cars can produce downforce on the front axle as well.  But in general it is best to have more downforce on the rear axle than the front.  This way you can tune the chassis without downforce to be lively and neutral (or even slight oversteer), so that the car rotates and handles well in slow corners.  But at high speeds, you want stability (neutral to slight understeer).  Not fun to be sideways at 200mph, but being able to rotate the car in slow corners can be helpful.

The effect of downforce is proportional to the square of the speed its traveling.  So in a 50mph corner the car only produces 1/16th the downforce as in a 200 mph one.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    CGX car nut:

Don’t forget that the static weight distribution for a road car is different from a race car because a race car is much more dependent on aerodynamic forces.   Too much rearward weight distribution with additional downforce leads to greater propensity toward understeer, which scrubs away speed in a corner.   This is undesirable in a race car.

That's why race cars can produce downforce on the front axle as well.  But in general it is best to have more downforce on the rear axle than the front.  This way you can tune the chassis without downforce to be lively and neutral (or even slight oversteer), so that the car rotates and handles well in slow corners.  But at high speeds, you want stability (neutral to slight understeer).  Not fun to be sideways at 200mph, but being able to rotate the car in slow corners can be helpful.

The effect of downforce is proportional to the square of the speed its traveling.  So in a 50mph corner the car only produces 1/16th the downforce as in a 200 mph one.

--

Longitudinal stability of a racecar with downforce is to that of an airplane and dependent on the differential between the center of gravity and center of aerodynamic pressure with the additional constraint of the pitch center of the car.  One can make the assumption of the assumption of downforce increasing proportionally with the square of the velocity; however, aeroelastic forces alter that relationship regardless what the regulations specify.  Higher speeds usually shift stagnation points to essentially stall airfoils to dump downforce.  There's a reason why most race cars spend hours upon hours in the wind tunnels and are developed computational fluid dynamic and detached eddy simulations.  

CGX car nut:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

Regards!!!

California still remains a significant market for Porsche sales and China isn't too far away with myriad flights available, so an introduction at Los Angeles does make some sense.  Audi saw fit to debut its new BEV in northern California and if Porsche is to introduce a hybrid variant at the show, it strongly taps into the California sustainability vibe.  

So was the Speester back in the 50.´s.....

The new Audi E-Tron SUV will be avaliable on the States (Mid 2019) ahead of Europe sales....That´s why it was presented in the US....There´s a Brand called Tesla which i have the most respect!!!!

Again.....If the 992 would be presented at the LA Auto Show (and it could be) for me does not make sense. Everytime a new 911 is presented (besides never a new 911 generation was presented outside Europe), they skip a MY or half on the USA. The 2012 991 in Europe is either a 2012.5 (more equipement avaliable) or a 2013 MY on the US.

Again, my opinion and based on the past and with some rationality!!!

Regards......

--

I hope that Porsche some interesting new product for Paris, and the 992 does that perfectly.

Presenting only the Macan facelift does not seem enough for me.

992 looks terrific....can't wait to find out when the optional carbon fiber active aero bits will be available.kiss

2 persons on another forum posted the following

First one posted:

"Launch has been postponed . It will be in March at Geneve . Just C2S and C4S will be available at beginning . First European deliveries are planned for May 18 . 
    Pdk 8-speed confirmed . 
    20/21 wheels as standard"

According to him, his information came from a source in PAG and that "All the dealers have configurated their launch cars at the end of last week"

Also, this pic was posted

4e135d6e_d50a_4c88_a493_b1c68e221516_4cf819c50bf08a87b43d15bc57d1bc41433eeb08.jpeg

The other gentleman posted this after contacting his dealer (dont know if it´s a European or USA Dealer)

- World premiere on L.A. Auto Show on Nov. 30th

- Availabilty of C2S & C4S in configurator starting 1st December

- Delivery in March 2019 (at least here in Germany)

What you guys think of this?? RC, Kreso, any help?

--

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

2 persons on another forum posted the following

First one posted:

"Launch has been postponed . It will be in March at Geneve . Just C2S and C4S will be available at beginning . First European deliveries are planned for May 18 . 
    Pdk 8-speed confirmed . 
    20/21 wheels as standard"

According to him, his information came from a source in PAG and that "All the dealers have configurated their launch cars at the end of last week"

Also, this pic was posted

4e135d6e_d50a_4c88_a493_b1c68e221516_4cf819c50bf08a87b43d15bc57d1bc41433eeb08.jpeg

This is my post on the other forum , I can confirm these infos . 

As I said in my earlier posts - no 992 in 2018 yes

Right now, it seems that the 992 won't be in Paris, just the Macan facelift. surprise 

Funny: According to rumors, even the Macan models shown in Paris won't be available until end of the year or early 2019 because the engines are still from Audi and the WLTP certification isn't ready yet. angry

Oh, also a new rumor regarding the 992 GT3: Since the 991.2 GT3 RS gets a particulate filter for 2019, there is now a strong rumor that the 992 GT3 comes earlier (2020) than planned and it will have a n/a engine with particulate filter as well. Rumored power is 540 hp. They decided this from a cost perspective, it would be a pity not to use the WLTP 4.0 l modified engine for a 992 model.

I won't speculate anymore if this is the last n/a engine or not since these rumors almost change on a daily basis. yes

--

RC:

I won't speculate anymore if this is the last n/a engine or not since these rumors almost change on a daily basis. yes

Don't forget that 2020 has another strict regulations implementation...Smiley

If they introduce it quickly, it is probably to avoid the nightmare which is coming in very near future.Smiley it still remains to be seen as the first mule is only on the road since July 18 and new car footprint required certainly longer than few months to propose a ready solution for the road with usual level of expectation for GT cars.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

The other gentleman posted this after contacting his dealer (dont know if it´s a European or USA Dealer)

Serioulsy, in 2018, 911 was the best seller in sportscar range for europe market. do you really think they will present a model in US where there are still discussion to put tariff on european goods and especially cars Smiley

PAG will present the car on the old continent. wherever it is...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

Don't forget that 2020 has another strict regulations implementation...Smiley

If they introduce it quickly, it is probably to avoid the nightmare which is coming in very near future.Smiley it still remains to be seen as the first mule is only on the road since July 18 and new car footprint required certainly longer than few months to propose a ready solution for the road with usual level of expectation for GT cars.

It is getting ridiculous with this whole WLTP and emissions stuff... Smiley

VW Group is to blame, if they would have handled the whole emissions scandal in Europe the same way they handled it in the US, we wouldn't be in this mess. I sometimes really have to wonder why these CEOs earn that much money.

VW Group put themselves (and other car manufacturers in the process) into the crosshairs of environmental groups and governments. Very very clever. SmileySmileySmiley

Next month, a very important decision will be taken regarding Diesel cars in Germany and how VW Group (and others) are going to deal with them. Will be pretty interesting but if they are clever, they put tons of money into it to kill this whole scandal. Not sure however how clever they are, so far they didn't do a very good job.

--

the-missile:
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

Serioulsy, in 2018, 911 was the best seller in sportscar range for europe market. do you really think they will present a model in US where there are still discussion to put tariff on european goods and especially cars Smiley

PAG will present the car on the old continent. wherever it is...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

I think Porsche sales took a big hit in the second part of 2018 and this hasn't been made public yet.

We'll see but I don't think the numbers will look good...

--

So RC you blame the VW group for not handling the current situation regarding emissions, etc but still believe they will be the Tesla killer!!! yes what makes you think they will be any different? 

Again I hope you are right about it. 

AP911:

So RC you blame the VW group for not handling the current situation regarding emissions, etc but still believe they will be the Tesla killer!!! yes what makes you think they will be any different? 

They put now billions and a lot of tech into new tech (EVs, hybrids, etc.), meaning that they are trying to let the "old" behind and start something new. Unfortunately, this could backfire as well since I'm not sure that Europe (and maybe other parts of the world) is ready for this. In Germany, the interest in EVs and hybrids is extremely limited. 

When I went to a local Range Rover dealer to enquire for an Evoque, they had a new Ranger Rover hybrid model (didn't even know there is one) on display. The sales guy told me that since the car arrived, they had ZERO inquiries for it. Go figure...

Saw an Audi Q8 lately, beautiful car, much better choice than a Cayenne in my opinion, especially once they have the more powerful V8 engine(s) ready.

Again I hope you are right about it. 

Not sure if I want to be right... I still think that this whole EV hype is exaggerated and overrated as long as we don't have 100% energy from renewable sources and as long as we don't know what to do with those batteries in the future. Another problem is the charging infrastructure and of course electricity cost in many countries. Many governments want EVs but they haven't really done something about it, especially to promote EVs and the tech. 

--

RC:

Right now, it seems that the 992 won't be in Paris, just the Macan facelift. surprise 

Funny: According to rumors, even the Macan models shown in Paris won't be available until end of the year or early 2019 because the engines are still from Audi and the WLTP certification isn't ready yet. angry

Oh, also a new rumor regarding the 992 GT3: Since the 991.2 GT3 RS gets a particulate filter for 2019, there is now a strong rumor that the 992 GT3 comes earlier (2020) than planned and it will have a n/a engine with particulate filter as well. Rumored power is 540 hp. They decided this from a cost perspective, it would be a pity not to use the WLTP 4.0 l modified engine for a 992 model.

The 992 GT3 RS will surely be based on the same engine as the GT3 again and have a prospective power of 560 hp. That's another 60 hp Porsche would have to squeeze out of the current engine. 

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:
    RC:

The 992 GT3 RS will surely be based on the same engine as the GT3 again and have a prospective power of 560 hp. That's another 60 hp Porsche would have to squeeze out of the current engine. 

540 hp are rumored right now...but if they can squeeze another 20 out of it, why not? The problem is still that particulate filter and the exhaust system. No more "backfiring" for the 991.2 with particulate filter btw., no more pop pop. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690554 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409807 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256048 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774754 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM