Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Paint protection film

Good post lexs,

Looking forward to your removal of the PPF, be interesting to get a no BS review indecision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

Good post lexs,

Looking forward to your removal of the PPF, be interesting to get a no BS review indecision...

Thanks man Smiley  It won't be like a Shmee video where he proclaims PPF to be the savior of the universe!

Appreciating the effort too. Have partial PPF on my GT4 and now the Touring.

Glad I had it at Monza and Mugello last week. Still not fond of it in general...  

Anyone had experience with the spray on variety?

https://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=3m-paint-defender-spray-film#

throt:

Hi Bud,

Uneven marks??,,, do you mean air bubbles, if so,,, they should go with time. Can take the film 8 weeks to fully settle. On the front of mine,, near the black plastic air intake blades I do have 2 tiny creases but you really have to look for them to find them.

In the UK , Reep ( and probably the rest of them ) have the .2 template to cover all of its new facelift features, so this is meant to return the best results to avoid separate cuts here and there. My GT3 is white so I do have some dirt collection on the edges, which was expected.

Would I have the PPF again,, probably, yes, but only just over a NO..

Hope it grows on you. You will definitely notice a difference condition wise on your front nose later on, it’ll be in better condition kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

No not air bubbles . Some marks on the plastic . Like something heavy  had been put on the wrap before and left his print . It probably will go away with time I suppose .

They used to templates ... but still, it does not cover perfectly . It leaves some spaces here and there . This is the worst one , and actually only serious one . The others are close to the hedges and not more then a few mm .

They said they can add a little piece in between if I want .

IMG_5521.jpg

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

lexs4:
    Having said all that it will help prevent smaller rock chips if they bother you.  Me I’d rather have chips so I’ll be posting in a couple months my removal of the ppf on the front of my car.  It is usually suggested to replace it after 4-5 years so it is meant to come off.  In my very limited experience, using a steamer makes it very very easy to remove.

Until now I always preferred to have the chips . Wanted to try PPF once .  I will see how it goes . As to the car, once I sit in it , it could be any color or wrap and I would enjoy it as much Smiley

--

2706B08B-DC37-4EEC-9C79-CE0FFB635B76.jpegWait for settlement and see if the marks go away, Gnil..

’’piece in between’’, now that shouldn’t be like that. 

Oops, it’s sideway pic, again...No join on mine there, buddy...

Click on the pic and you can see my join on the very fron air intake in the corner Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Yours is much better .  As they are pre cut to Xpell ' s pattern , I don't think there is a mistake there . But ... on the left side they are nearly together , but then on the right side , matching was not possible .... at least to the installers capacities . he said it is nearly impossible to have them match , as he has to stretch the film .... Anyway , I will see .... The purpose to to avoid the stone chips 

--

Gnil:
    throt:

Hi Bud,

Uneven marks??,,, do you mean air bubbles, if so,,, they should go with time. Can take the film 8 weeks to fully settle. On the front of mine,, near the black plastic air intake blades I do have 2 tiny creases but you really have to look for them to find them.

In the UK , Reep ( and probably the rest of them ) have the .2 template to cover all of its new facelift features, so this is meant to return the best results to avoid separate cuts here and there. My GT3 is white so I do have some dirt collection on the edges, which was expected.

Would I have the PPF again,, probably, yes, but only just over a NO..

Hope it grows on you. You will definitely notice a difference condition wise on your front nose later on, it’ll be in better condition kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

No not air bubbles . Some marks on the plastic . Like something heavy  had been put on the wrap before and left his print . It probably will go away with time I suppose .

They used to templates ... but still, it does not cover perfectly . It leaves some spaces here and there . This is the worst one , and actually only serious one . The others are close to the hedges and not more then a few mm .

They said they can add a little piece in between if I want .

IMG_5521.jpg

The marks may go away, hopefully not like mine where it's actually smeared adhesive from a poor install.  I tried to take a pic but couldn't get an angle that worked.  As other's have said they do need to stretch it in some places (head lights if covered in particular).  If it's ever a warm sunny day leave it out in the sun and see if that helps.  Some of the new films have a 'self-healing' property that temperature helps accelerate.  My posts all come across like I'm anti-ppf, not the case.  I'm glad my car had it on there when I purchased it.  It was nice to try out.  Just wish the install was a little better, had it been I'd probably leave it on the front of the car.

Personally I'd leave the gap and not have an extra piece.  My front bumper had one and I took it off as it became dirt crazy.  Don't have a picture before but imagine lines of dirt like this in between.

Example of dirt on edges of film

IMG_2643.jpg

After removing piece

IMG_2641.jpg

I might leave ti then. It would only add another two lines of dirt If I add a piece .

As to the front lights, the installer said they are not allowed to put PPF on the new Porsche  anymore because apparently the glass is treated with something that would get damaged with PPF 

--

Yep,,100% leave the gap, buddy ..Another piece will just show the dirt on the lines..

They told me same, not allowed over the headlights..kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

I was planning on installing ppf for the front as I thought the edges would be tucked in but now after seeing those pics, I think I do prefer stone chips than dirt around the edgea especially on lighter colors. Never had ppf installed before and as long as I don’t examine the front closely, the chips can’t be seen. yes

AP911:

I was planning on installing ppf for the front as I thought the edges would be tucked in but now after seeing those pics, I think I do prefer stone chips than dirt around the edgea especially on lighter colors. Never had ppf installed before and as long as I don’t examine the front closely, the chips can’t be seen. yes

And if you pick your car up before it’s cured enough, dirt can build up along the edges straight away specially arch areas from kick up from the tyres Smiley...

lexs is right, good to leave the car out in the sunlight to speed up the drying.Smiley..

AP911,

PPF is so hit and miss and a excellent installer is paramount..Smiley..I would have it again but I would travel to a guy I know who use to just detail cars but he does PPF now and he is mega OCD, that’s the dudes you want. Just like our Rennteam detailer lexs, he would be the man Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

let's all go to KY , and find that guy indecision

--

throt:

AP911,

PPF is so hit and miss and a excellent installer is paramount..Smiley..I would have it again but I would travel to a guy I know who use to just detail cars but he does PPF now and he is mega OCD, that’s the dudes you want. Just like our Rennteam detailer lexs, he would be the man Smiley Smiley..

throt nailed it Smiley It is all about the installer, find a proper OCD person.  Another nice thing about ppf is it seems easier to remove rubber from track days off of it vs paint at least to me.  Or maybe I'm just less worried about screwing up the ppf than paint.  So if you track a lot may be a consideration.  

Nearest quality installer for me is 3.5 hours away so my buddy and I are redoing my rear quarter panel pieces.  We will see if I can hold onto the mantle of Rennteam detailer after that Smiley

lexs4:
    throt:

AP911,

will see if I can hold onto the mantle of Rennteam detailer after that Smiley

Your under the cosh now, bud.. No cock ups allowed Smiley Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

The pre-cut pattern are based on ONE single example of a piece, due to production tolerance there will be slight minute differences in the shape and hence the not quite perfect fit.

An excellent installer can and will stretch the film to match. But it's still down to the shape of the pattern.

The best installers in the world do it free hand. No pattern. Had cut everything, but they will also do it off the painted surface so there are no cut marks on the paint. This will be the expensive method, and most time consuming. 

I have had pre-cut pattern on most of my cars. Except the 918. It was initially partially wrap free had back when it was brand new. It was mostly for the exposed carbon and the lower section of the car. I had the hood and from bumper wrapped using pre-cut at a later date. ow 4 years later, the hand cut sections are still perfect, the pre-cut not so much.

Mind you, it took the installer 10 full days to do the initial partial wrap. 

This past weekend we had our Porsche Rally to celebrate Porsche's 70th Anniversary. My local Xpel installer had Ryan Pape and Mat Moreau, President/CEO and VP at Xpel over to do the rally. They had sponsored the clear wrap on my 911R and Turbo S Exclusive and a re-wrap of my 918 so I lend them my 911R and the Turbo S Exclusive to do the rally. I joined them last minute with my 918.

Screenshot 2018-09-23 22.49.37.png

Screenshot 2018-09-23 22.49.55.png

And yes, I had the matte black stripes on the 911R take out and re-did it with yellow.

And yes, it was pissing cats and dogs from the sky.

--

Gnil:

--

Any Rennteamer is welcome to visit!  As long as you like peace and quiet, I'll have bourbon ready or diet coke for RC Smiley

Edit to say peace and quiet, unless we go driving or target shooting, then we'll make plenty of noise!

lexs4:
    Gnil:

--

Any Rennteamer is welcome to visit!  As long as you like peace and quiet, I'll have bourbon ready or diet coke for RC Smiley

Coke Zero please but I'm a sucker for sweet tea as well if this is a thing in Kentucky. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    lexs4:
    Gnil:

--

Coke Zero please but I'm a sucker for sweet tea as well if this is a thing in Kentucky. Smiley Smiley

Ah then I already have you covered as I drink that as well Smiley  And indeed sweet tea is a thing in KY.  We give you the option of unsweetend tea, but will look at people funny who drink that Smiley

You guys wanna try my tea.. Proper strong man tea from a Englishman. Nothing better indecision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

You guys wanna try my tea.. Proper strong man tea from a Englishman. Nothing better indecision...

As long as it doesn't have chest hair in it...I'm in... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

AP911:

You can’t hide the edges. There are gaps between panels because parts move. Ppf stucked in these gap is not good. If you are planning to visit Dubai soon, we can get in touch and I can show you the results on mine. It is actually good and as Gnil mentioned, final result is based on installer talent. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    AP911:

You can’t hide the edges. There are gaps between panels because parts move. Ppf stucked in these gap is not good. If you are planning to visit Dubai soon, we can get in touch and I can show you the results on mine. It is actually good and as Gnil mentioned, final result is based on installer talent. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

I spend my weekends in Dubai and its surroundings but my weekdays in Abu Dhabi. 

I looked around for ppf installers in dubai but tbh I’m yet to be convinced  especially given the prices for full ppf.

That would be my biggest worry about getting PPF - finding a good installer.. How can you know up-front if an installer is any good?  I can see in the US there is a large community using these services and it's relatively easy to find feedback on them, but in Switzerland for instance, it's a bit of a lottery given the absence of any real info.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Usually, the Porsche Centres can be helpful in this respect as they usually outsource the detailing of used and leasing returns. This is how I got to the company having done my PPF.

AP911:

I spend my weekends in Dubai and its surroundings but my weekdays in Abu Dhabi. 

I looked around for ppf installers in dubai but tbh I’m yet to be convinced  especially given the prices for full ppf.

contact me in private. let's plan a quick meeting. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

RC:
    throt:

As long as it doesn't have chest hair in it...I'm in... Smiley

Smiley,,

No bush, buddy. Smiley..

If they sell it over there get yourself a bag of ‘’Thompson’s everyday Tea’’, Let it brew properly,  one sugar and your we’ll away...

https://www.thompsonstea.com/our-teas/thompsons-everyday

Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

DaveGordon:

That would be my biggest worry about getting PPF - finding a good installer.. How can you know up-front if an installer is any good?  I can see in the US there is a large community using these services and it's relatively easy to find feedback on them, but in Switzerland for instance, it's a bit of a lottery given the absence of any real info.

Judging from the cars in the gallery I would expect these guys to do good job:

http://www.foliendienst.ch/lackschutz/

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    DaveGordon:

Judging from the cars in the gallery I would expect these guys to do good job:

http://www.foliendienst.ch/lackschutz/

Awesome outfit, buddy.

Did you wrap the Killah,  or are you too butch...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662414 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401245 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254602 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229236 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59600 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853549 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761969 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM