Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: New to me 991.1 GT3

It's a car enthusiast board, so we expect it with our fun cars, but I like that the guy with the Toyota minivan also parks way out where he won't get dinged.

waiting for PDK:

It's a car enthusiast board, so we expect it with our fun cars, but I like that the guy with the Toyota minivan also parks way out where he won't get dinged.

Smiley,

I park my shit box out of the way too. Just habit Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Don’t know why, but love how when I walk out to the garage the GT3 radiates yellow when it’s sunny.  1/2 of the garage ends up being bright yellow, no lights needed!  All the blinds are closed and still super bright.

4A45B4DD-EE1B-43E3-8E62-97F9FD7A920C.jpeg

Forgot to include this one that makes it look like I store the ark of the covenant in my frunk. Dumb pictures I know but part of the joy of ownership for me is that walk into the garage and seeing the cars I’m lucky to have.  I’m going to be posting a how to for wheel removal and wheel coating here soon to make up for these silly pics.

FCC63094-D9EE-4A50-99F6-134832AD4180.jpeg

64B5CDAA-CD86-459C-BDAE-B28A61226F4A.jpeg

Smiley Perfect!

Great pics !!! Keep posting kiss  You have a sunshine in your garage , I bet you love it each time you go in there .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Thanks Gnil, indeed I do.  Coming back from a quick workout this morning greeted by some amazing skies passing by the farms in my neighborhood. No horses out, but cows are always out no matter the time.  Silhouetted on top of the hill.

731B03F9-49DF-4FAB-83BB-1012D2F365EA.jpegF76BC0AC-FA20-4D27-B9D0-210FA107C755.jpeg

Sneak pic of upcoming wheel removal / coating tutorial...oh how I wish for 5 bolt wheels again.

IMG_2516.jpg

Awesome,,,, you should have a detailing businesskiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Awesome,,,, you should have a detailing businesskiss..

Ha!  Funny you should say that, I'm putting together a business plan for a car related business where I'll pull in my detailing buddy to perform paint correction.

For me detailing is just a way to keep my chest hair lush and full.

So, I think these kind of processes lend themselves more to video, but here are some pics of my work to get my wheels coated.  Doing this so I don't have worry so much about brake dust.  Trying Gyeon Rim, don't expect I'll do this more than once during the lifetime of the car.  First pic is all the stuff I'll be using.  Sorry for some of the zoomed in pics, I cropped and re-sized them to make them a little smaller memory wise.

IMG_2518.jpg

As shown in prior post, got car up on quick jack.  So next is to use the pry tool to pop off the center lock caps.  I assume every owner knows the pry tool is located in the center lock tool.  That can be found under the plastic cladding in the frunk in it's own little container.  Once you have it, insert the tool and pop off the cap by rotating the tool away from the cap (not pulling on it, that will lead to you scratching the cap piece).

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

When ever I get ready to take off center locks I always push on the locking pin to check and ensure it is/was in the correct position.  Next is the fun part, removing the wheels.  Unless you are Hercules get out your breaker bar, attach the center lock tool to the head and as the pic says Remove the bolt.  Rears aren't too bad since you can engage the emergency brake.  The fronts suck.  Had to call my buddy over to press on the brakes and hold the steering wheel straight.  

IMG_2521.jpgIMG_2522.jpg

After giving myself a hernia removing the bolts was greeted with an abundance of grease.  This was the first time I've removed the wheels off this car.  It looks like someone was trying to pack a bearing there was so much grease...because the grease gets absolutely everywhere this will be part 1 of a 2 part series.  I'll do all the prep work, but will have to cleanup the cone section and wheel hub prior to coating and re-installing.  Here's the greasepocalypse I was greeted with.  Regardless got all four wheels off and started prep work.

IMG_2523.jpgIMG_8555.JPG

There was so much grease on the rear passenger wheel.  The cone section stayed with the hub and separated from the central bolt.  While cleaning some of the grease off I noticed the o-ring was still stuck to the wheel hub as you can see below.  Oh and in the pic above I used the Gyeon prep to clean all the calipers to get them ready for coating.  Might as well use the same coating on the calipers as the wheels.  You can only do this, of course, if the coating is a high temp one.

IMG_8560.JPG

Next I used the Carpro Tar-X to remove any residual rubber leftover from track day and a razor to remove left over adhesive from old wheel magnets.  Then wiped down the barrel with Prep to get ready for polishing.  Yes polishing.

IMG_8556.JPG

IMG_8558.JPG

Why polish, well the barrels weren't taken care of and were pretty dull.  A quick polish will provide a little pop and only took about 20-25 mins to do all 4 wheels.  It's not like paint correcting the body of the car.  Just a quick hit with my Jescar compound and an old yellow pad.  You definitely want to use a old pad and towel as you'll see.  Using my Rupes LHR-75E for this as it's the smallest polisher I have.  As you'll see in the pics, the steps are: Apply a couple dots of compound to the pad.  I don't bother priming as, again, these are wheels, set the speed to 4.5 and do a normal cross-hatch pattern for about 1/3 of the wheel, brush out the pad (normally I'd use compressed air but didn't want to deal with that so just used the brush), and repeat to finish the wheel.  Once done polishing, remove the residual polish with a microfiber towel as normal.

IMG_2544.jpgIMG_2545.jpgIMG_2546.jpgIMG_2548.jpg

The light in the pics is used to better see the work area I'm polishing.  When done the barrel really pops, note the reflection of the spokes in the barrel.  And the state of the pad is pretty terrible, so only use old, beat up pads for dealing with wheels.  Prior to polishing, I had washed the car, cleaned the wheels with Tar-X, and sprayed them down with Prep.    Yet you can see how the pad and towel looked.

IMG_2549.jpgIMG_2547.jpg

Before coating brake calipers decided to hit the fender liners with some Carpro Perl.  I may lose some of you here, but just look at how much better they look after a quick application.  With the easy access it took about 5min to do this.  I used a foam block to apply the Perl to the liners as shown below.  In the last pic I left a small area untreated by the back bolt to show the change in appearance.

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpgIMG_2543.jpg

When the Perl dries it will leave a nice satin finish.  Won't be as shiny as in the pics thank goodness.  Now onto the last bit of work for the night.  Coating the calipers.  Gyeon Rim is a SiO2 coating so it will harden so some caution is needed in the application and removal.  Still it's so easy and took maybe all of 10min to do all 4 calipers.  Having this on the calipers will allow for brake dust to be easily removed with primarily just a little soap and water.  Steps for applying are thus: Apply a couple drops to a foam applicator pad section (obviously top would be off to actually do this, I only have two hands), next apply the coating to the painted surfaces of the caliper, then simply wipe off, that's it.  Bit of advice, if taking time between applications put the top back on the bottle.  Also don't let the coating set too long our it will be pretty sticky and difficult to remove.  Finally you have to throw away the applicator, towels (I used an old mf towel I was going to dispose of anyway), gloves and anything else you used that got coating on it.  The coating will harden and you definitely don't want to use the towels on paint!

IMG_2550.jpgIMG_2551.jpgIMG_2552.jpgIMG_2553.jpgIMG_2555.jpg

That's it for tonight.  Tomorrow I'll be battling that damn grease and then actually coating wheels.  Not much harder than the brakes, just more surface area.  Still I'll try and take a couple pics to illustrate the process as best I can.

Wow,,,,

Very interesting. You put us all to shame, bud...

I let you do mine any time. Pop over when you have a bit of time..indecision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Thanks for the detailed photos and comments . Sure it will help some of the readers . 

I love seeing it !

I like your quick jack. !! :-)  Would probably need one .

But I will not try to take off the center lock , unless I can make it part of my gym plan indecision

To take the center lock covers off, a simple screw driver will do the job. That's how they do it at Manthey as I was watching and that's how I did it when installing my green RS caps . 

Now .... I'd love to have the coating , but  I am not into washing so much , so can't see myself take the time to do it , even if I can see the joy of doing this process .

--

Thanks for the comments guys.  Throt I've been looking for an excuse to head back to London, be careful what you wish for Smiley   Haven't been since watching the start of the TDF there.

Gnil, yeah, a screwdriver is probably a better tool really.  Thanks for the tip, anything Manthey does is probably a more efficient means of doing something!  I totally understand what you are saying.  This is just another example of my OCD indecision  Seeing all the rubber buildup from the track was just an excuse to do a real thorough cleaning.

Hi Bud,

What do you recommend for prevention of the central nuts going that horrible milky colour. Any tricks up your sleeve indecision. These anodised nuts seem to be so sensitive....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Hi Bud,

What do you recommend for prevention of the central nuts going that horrible milky colour. Any tricks up your sleeve indecision. These anodised nuts seem to be so sensitive....

Yeah, the previous owner obviously used some aggressive wheel cleanerSmiley  So they are pretty badly discolored, not bad enough for me to order new ones though it's been very tempting to do so...

On other people's cars I've had luck with NextZett Colortec Wheel Cleaner, AMMO Plum Wheel Cleaner, and Adams Wheel Cleaner.  They are good at cleaning but aren't so strong they etch or discolor anything.  AMMO and Adams are US based companies so don't know about shipping across the pond.  But if really concerned nothing beats plain old soap and water.  Although you can use AMMO Brute wheel soap for some extra cleaning power.

On mine there was also some discoloration from all the freaking grease squeezing out.  Soap and water cleaned that up some.

Many thanks for the info, lexs.

i have noticed when checking out the cars at the dealerships that so many of the nuts have discoloured. A set of 4 over here is around 900 GBP, so, not cheap.

i agree, It’s safe with hot water and a PH neutral liquid..I probably just stick to my gtechniq PH liquid that is for the bodywork but then just use it for everything. Can’t stand that milky look and would hate to be the culprit for doing it.indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Hi Bud,

Try your chest hair wax Smiley Made for the toughest conditions, buddy.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

My rugged wax strips would rip the rim off let alone clean a dodgy residue off my nuts, buddy..no indecision ..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

My rugged wax strips would rip the rim off let alone clean a dodgy residue off my nuts, buddy..no indecision ..

You should sell pads made of your chest hair as a replacement for clay bars!

I'm curious, would people here be interested in me documenting installing the Dundon exhaust on my car over the winter like I've done with the paint correction and coating stuff?  I'd start a different thread for it.  It takes a lot more time doing so when you take pics (even crappy ones like mine Smiley), and there is already a good youtube video of it on Obsessed Garage.  Obviously my experience would be different than Matt's.  Just wondering if it's worth the time to do so.  That last post with all the pics took just as long to put together as all the work I did.

Here's a pic of the system I'm likely getting.  I'd get Dundon's lifetime center muffler as well as racing headers as shown in second pic. It's truly engineered, so not as pretty as some, but based on all customers a great exhaust:

GT3_Headers_01_w1.jpg991_Header_Website.jpg

Yes, pleaaaaase! smiley

lexs4:
    throt:

You should sell pads made of your chest hair as a replacement for clay bars!

I'm curious, would people here be interested in me documenting installing the Dundon exhaust on my car over the winter like I've done with the paint correction and coating stuff?  I'd start a different thread for it.  It takes a lot more time doing so when you take pics (even crappy ones like mine Smiley), and there is already a good youtube video of it on Obsessed Garage.  Obviously my experience would be different than Matt's.  Just wondering if it's worth the time to do so.  That last post with all the pics took just as long to put together as all the work I did.

Here's a pic of the system I'm likely getting.  I'd get Dundon's lifetime center muffler as well as racing headers as shown in second pic. It's truly engineered, so not as pretty as some, but based on all customers a great exhaust:

GT3_Headers_01_w1.jpg991_Header_Website.jpg

Hi Lex, I have the Dundon system on mine, the race headers in combination with the OEM muffler initially. I'm a very happy customer, unbelievable sound and a very useful weight saving. Just consider that the car will be VERY loud, some Rennteam members can confirm this. Smiley

It did break my OEM muffler after 12k km as the exhaust gases are coming through red hot so ordered their lifetime muffler as well, which has arrived here today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQL4CV0oHAg

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

lexs4 : Only do the photo report if you like doing it . I know how much time it takes to put up nice photos and comments on RT .... loads !!!!   And then you never know how much it is appreciated or not .

So do it mainly for yourself .... then I am sure a few of us will appreciate it kiss

--

lexs, whatever you have time to do, buddy. Pics so far are much appreciated kiss...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Porker:

Hi Lex, I have the Dundon system on mine, the race headers in combination with the OEM muffler initially. I'm a very happy customer, unbelievable sound and a very useful weight saving. Just consider that the car will be VERY loud, some Rennteam members can confirm this. Smiley

It did break my OEM muffler after 12k km as the exhaust gases are coming through red hot so ordered their lifetime muffler as well, which has arrived here today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQL4CV0oHAg

You are one of the satisfied customers I used as a data point SmileyI currently have a center delete and while nice still a little tame for me.  I'll be getting the muffler as well.  Just waiting on some funds to free up!  Thanks for link.

Gnil:

lexs4 : Only do the photo report if you like doing it . I know how much time it takes to put up nice photos and comments on RT .... loads !!!!   And then you never know how much it is appreciated or not .

So do it mainly for yourself .... then I am sure a few of us will appreciate it kiss

throt:

lexs, whatever you have time to do, buddy. Pics so far are much appreciated kiss...

Thanks guys, while cumbersome, I do enjoy sharing the experience.  Also nice to have a record of what I've done.  Plan to finish wheel coating tonight.  Took a long time trying to get wheel grease under control last night.  Had to take one of the center locks apart to replace the snap ring that came off.  First time doing that.  No pictures as that grease gets everywhere...so many paper towels and gloves used.

lexs4:
    Gnil:

throt:

Thanks guys, while cumbersome, I do enjoy sharing the experience.  Also nice to have a record of what I've done.  Plan to finish wheel coating tonight.  Took a long time trying to get wheel grease under control last night.  Had to take one of the center locks apart to replace the snap ring that came off.  First time doing that.  No pictures as that grease gets everywhere...so many paper towels and gloves used.

There are also many '' readers only '' on the forum who will enjoy your photo report even if not making any comments . 

Picture of your hands ? Smiley

--

Gnil:
    lexs4:
    Gnil:

throt:

lexs will have butchy big ones Smiley...

If he can undo those central nuts then he surely is one rugged individual..Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Gnil:
    lexs4:
    Gnil:

throt:

lexs will have butchy big ones Smiley...

If he can undo those central nuts then he surely is one rugged individual..Smiley...

Smiley I'd show a picture of the other thing I built up this weekend but some folks on here may get  triggered by it.  Building it up made my sideburns and facial hair grow even bushier.  It was certainly a very manly weekend for me as I told one co-worker.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM