Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Locked My Keys In Car

How stupid can one get! It was raining so hard today that I thought would put my laptop and documents in to the front luggage compartment of the car rather than ruin the sandbeige. I was holding a large umbrella with my right hand and talking to a work mate, as I popped the hood with my left hand and dropped in my bag I let go of the key by mistake. Without thinking I closed the hood and before I could even get to the hood release the car locked itself!!!

DAMN! I was a good 40 miles from home, keys, wallet in the car! Rang up Porsche assist and they said they will have an expert lock picker with me in 30 minutes - great! Just before my colleague had left I got another call saying that the hood cannot be released if the lock is picked!!! They would have to get to the car from the wheel arch??? Do what?? Never heard that one before! Anyway, I told them to get stuffed - knowing my luck the guy would end up scratching or taking hours anyway, LUCKILY my colleague offered me a ride home (saved GBP 80.00), even MORE lucky my wife was JUST about to leave and get her nails done (GBP 120.00 a go - what a RIP OFF) when I caught her and convinced her it was more important for her to wait for me so I could get my car back - took some convincing - seems like nails are quite high on the priority list!

Got home, got the keys, got a cab (got lost too) and goto the car JUST before the customers office doors locked and got the motor.

Decided tonight to get another spare and leave one with a fellow Porsche owner - I have 4 Porsche owner buddies within 2 miles from my home!

What a pain in the ass, what if I was 4 or 5 hours from home as I was this weekend and the weekend before?

Very funny now but not so funny earlier! Any experiences you want to relate?

Re: Locked My Keys In Car

I feel your pain, as that happens to the best of us.

A keyless system is less prone to those mishaps if one is disciplined to keep the FOB always in the pocket, but I do not see PAG offering one any time soon.

OTOH, the security offered by P-cars seems very good.

I keep the thin black plastic key on me at all times as a backup

I wonder if there is a way to reprogram the delay before the car relocks - setting it longer so one can get the door open first, would be good. Sounds like the sort of setting that should be doable.

Yes AFAIK that's doable using PIWIS

Never trust the HAL 9000 computer which now controls the car's locking system. ALWAYS take the key with you. Above all else: DO NOT lock car and then lock keys in trunk. (sorry Buddy).

I locked myself out of a minivan that was running!!

Do ever do that!

i feel for you.

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    I locked myself out of a minivan that was running!!

Do ever do that!

i feel for you.

Haha, I did the same thing I had to walk a mile to a strip mall, and to my luck there was a locksmith there.

Yeah a real pain in the ass. Not as bad as a friend of a friend who left keys in a Bentley together with a 6 month old baby in 35 degree heat!!!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Yeah a real pain in the ass. Not as bad as a friend of a friend who left keys in a Bentley together with a 6 month old baby in 35 degree heat!!!

My story involves a lesser car but here goes anyway.

A Land Rover with a baby in the front seat left running and locked. I run into the nearest store and yell out: "Anybody here locked their baby in their LR?!! Pissed of idiiot come charging at me. I push him back (played sports in college), cops show up outta nowhere, big embarassing mess, guy gets a ticket. I walk away a "hero" but wishing the event never happened: felt like I ruined the guy's day and it upset me pretty bad too. Like so what? Could have been worse. If I walked away the baby would have been ok.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

My story involves a lesser car but here goes anyway.

A Land Rover with a baby in the front seat left running and locked. I run into the nearest store and yell out: "Anybody here locked their baby in their LR?!! Pissed of idiiot come charging at me. I push him back (played sports in college), cops show up outta nowhere, big embarassing mess, guy gets a ticket. I walk away a "hero" but wishing the event never happened: felt like I ruined the guy's day and it upset me pretty bad too. Like so what? Could have been worse. If I walked away the baby would have been ok.

You did the right thing, MMD.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

You did the right thing, MMD.

Thanks Friend, Was a long time ago but I still remember it like I shouldda minded my own business. Then again..., if the guy hadn't such a short fuse it would have been nothing. I mean having a baby in tow is tough enough. Maybe the guy woke up to cops' educating him. UGH! I can't believe I brought this up. It's also kinda OT.

Could have been a lot worse: http://lnk.nu/dailycamera.com/ptv

I once was leaving work early because of a snowstorm, and at the time I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT, and I went out before we left to start it up and get the heat cranking. Now for some reason, my car would randomly lock after it had started. I ran out to my car, started it quickly, and didn't remember it did that.

I heard the "CLUNK" of the doors locking not a half a second before it actually closed. I had to get someone to go to my house and get the spare key, then drive all the way to my work and unlock it for me! Ahhh it was a pain!!!

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    I once was leaving work early because of a snowstorm, and at the time I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT, and I went out before we left to start it up and get the heat cranking. Now for some reason, my car would randomly lock after it had started. I ran out to my car, started it quickly, and didn't remember it did that.

I heard the "CLUNK" of the doors locking not a half a second before it actually closed. I had to get someone to go to my house and get the spare key, then drive all the way to my work and unlock it for me! Ahhh it was a pain!!!

You should go to AAA and get a plastic key made. It looks like a credit card so it fits in your wallet. It saved me at least a couple of times.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Could have been a lot worse: http://lnk.nu/dailycamera.com/ptv

And then there are the stupid people who think they are locked in...

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

You should go to AAA and get a plastic key made. It looks like a credit card so it fits in your wallet. It saved me at least a couple of times.

Are those like the old valet keys? Old, as in the one I have for my 94 Golf thats in my wallet right now.. enough to unlock the car (and in the 94's case, drive it, but not unlock the hatch, glove box etc).

Ie, they can cut the pathway in a plastic key that you snap out of a credit card so you can at least open the door (though not drive way due to the electronic interlock)?

Is this a standard AAA service? I should stop by my local office again.. have not been there in years.....

Quote:
    Minok said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Are those like the old valet keys? Old, as in the one I have for my 94 Golf thats in my wallet right now.. enough to unlock the car (and in the 94's case, drive it, but not unlock the hatch, glove box etc).

Ie, they can cut the pathway in a plastic key that you snap out of a credit card so you can at least open the door (though not drive way due to the electronic interlock)?

Is this a standard AAA service? I should stop by my local office again.. have not been there in years.....

Yeah, it's the same.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759178 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433539 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259656 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256796 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80519 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870520 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805443 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM