Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Questions for RC

How is your gas mileage now? The brake problem?

You once remarked that playing around with tires `feet of the car' is undesirable. I plan to get all weather tires at some stage (living in fear whether it might snow or not is unpleasant). Unfortunately, there are no decent AW tires for the back. But there are for 275/35/18. Do you think that would be OK? Will they fit the same rims?

Any general comments? You still like the E55?

Re: Questions for RC

Of course I still like my E55, hopefully even more after I get the limited slip differential installed.

AW tires are not good for the E55. The Conti SportContact 2 you have on your E55 have a M0 classification. This means this tire has been specially adapted to the E55, incl. top speed, handling, ESP and even the well known traction problems. This is no "ordinary" Sport Contact 2, it has a special compound incl. a different thread.
    AW tires will definetely ruin the setup and probably make traction even worse. Don't do it. Why don't you go for winter tires? If you don't have snow or temperatures below zero in your region, you actually can keep the Contis without problems.

Gas mileage is still not very good but I can live with it. Interesting: in the city my car uses more fuel than driving at higher speeds on the Autobahn. Strange.
    The brake problem didn't appear anymore, maybe my dealer did a "secret" upgrade without telling me, I'll look into that as soon as I visit him again (for the latest COMAND APS 2.2 upgrade ).

I'll be at AMG in Affalterbach next week and I can ask for you regarding tires and rims. However I think I already know the answer.

Of course I still like my E55, hopefully even more after I get the limited slip differential installed.

AW tires are not good for the E55. The Conti SportContact 2 you have on your E55 have a M0 classification. This means this tire has been specially adapted to the E55, incl. top speed, handling, ESP and even the well known traction problems. This is no "ordinary" Sport Contact 2, it has a special compound incl. a different thread.
    AW tires will definetely ruin the setup and probably make traction even worse. Don't do it. Why don't you go for winter tires? If you don't have snow or temperatures below zero in your region, you actually can keep the Contis without problems.

Gas mileage is still not very good but I can live with it. Interesting: in the city my car uses more fuel than driving at higher speeds on the Autobahn. Strange.
    The brake problem didn't appear anymore, maybe my dealer did a "secret" upgrade without telling me, I'll look into that as soon as I visit him again (for the latest COMAND APS 2.2 upgrade ).

I'll be at AMG in Affalterbach next week and I can ask for you regarding tires and rims. However I think I already know the answer.

Thank you (as always) for your helpful comments.

Why do you say snow tires are OK if AW are not. Unfortunately I live in the snow belt but AW have worked for me almost ever since they became first available even for RWD cars (ice is the real problem). If AMG has any recommendations. I would appreciate knowing that.

What is the gas mileage you are getting? You had said about 25 liters/100km before and that you had been unable to get it below 20.

Thank you (as always) for your helpful comments.

Why do you say snow tires are OK if AW are not. Unfortunately I live in the snow belt but AW have worked for me almost ever since they became first available even for RWD cars (ice is the real problem). If AMG has any recommendations. I would appreciate knowing that.

What is the gas mileage you are getting? You had said about 25 liters/100km before and that you had been unable to get it below 20.

Quote:
    Why do you say snow tires are OK if AW are not. What is the gas mileage you are getting? You had said about 25 liters/100km before and that you had been unable to get it below 20.

Snow tires have certain advantages at low temperatures and on snow, AW tires can't keep up with that.
    The problem with AW tires is: you get the bad traction/handling/etc. over the whole year, not only during winter time. Personally, I make compromises in winter time when it comes to tires (yes, I know that winter tires might be even worse than AW tires) but as soon as it warms up, I want to have the best traction/handling possible.
    My wife's SLK32 AMG is almost undriveable with winter tires, I hate only the idea of putting on the winter tires again soon.
    Another problem you might get: tire wear. My Contis on the rear are "finished" and I have only 9700 km on them.
    OK, my driving style (with ESP turned off most of the time ) isn't very favorable for tire wear but anyway, I never had to exchange my rear tires after 10000 km.

Regarding fuel consumption: in the city, my car eats around 20-22 litres per 100 km. Driving on the Autobahn at average speeds (160-200 kph), my car uses 16-17 litres. Very surprising. Driving at top speed (300 kph), I have a fuel consumption of around 28 litres per 100 km.
    If I drive slowly on a country road, not exceeding 100 kph and driving very calm, I get around 12 litres per 100 km. Never did less.

AMG has winter tire recommendations, I let you know as soon as I return back next week.

BTW: I forgot to ask why you asked if I still like my E55? Do you have some "doubts" about your car or any serious problems? The only real thing which sucks is traction and I hope to improve it with the LSD. And of course, you didn't expect that a 2 ton limousine handles like a 996 Turbo (you owned one before, right?), did you?

Quote:
    Why do you say snow tires are OK if AW are not. What is the gas mileage you are getting? You had said about 25 liters/100km before and that you had been unable to get it below 20.

Snow tires have certain advantages at low temperatures and on snow, AW tires can't keep up with that.
    The problem with AW tires is: you get the bad traction/handling/etc. over the whole year, not only during winter time. Personally, I make compromises in winter time when it comes to tires (yes, I know that winter tires might be even worse than AW tires) but as soon as it warms up, I want to have the best traction/handling possible.
    My wife's SLK32 AMG is almost undriveable with winter tires, I hate only the idea of putting on the winter tires again soon.
    Another problem you might get: tire wear. My Contis on the rear are "finished" and I have only 9700 km on them.
    OK, my driving style (with ESP turned off most of the time ) isn't very favorable for tire wear but anyway, I never had to exchange my rear tires after 10000 km.

Regarding fuel consumption: in the city, my car eats around 20-22 litres per 100 km. Driving on the Autobahn at average speeds (160-200 kph), my car uses 16-17 litres. Very surprising. Driving at top speed (300 kph), I have a fuel consumption of around 28 litres per 100 km.
    If I drive slowly on a country road, not exceeding 100 kph and driving very calm, I get around 12 litres per 100 km. Never did less.

AMG has winter tire recommendations, I let you know as soon as I return back next week.

BTW: I forgot to ask why you asked if I still like my E55? Do you have some "doubts" about your car or any serious problems? The only real thing which sucks is traction and I hope to improve it with the LSD. And of course, you didn't expect that a 2 ton limousine handles like a 996 Turbo (you owned one before, right?), did you?

Thank you RC.

I have not used pure winter tires for many years and when I did I did not like them. They rode mushy.

Your gas mileage seems a lot better than when you got the car. Rather respectable for a car with so much power and your hard driving.

I asked whether you still liked your AMG is because I did not pick up the enthusiastic overtones you had in previous posts! I never had a Porsche although I have driven them on occasion. And you are right --- there is a special experience to them even in city driving. They are a very unusual experience which I could not have imagined if I had not driven one. I hope that in some ways the E55 is that too.

Thank you RC.

I have not used pure winter tires for many years and when I did I did not like them. They rode mushy.

Your gas mileage seems a lot better than when you got the car. Rather respectable for a car with so much power and your hard driving.

I asked whether you still liked your AMG is because I did not pick up the enthusiastic overtones you had in previous posts! I never had a Porsche although I have driven them on occasion. And you are right --- there is a special experience to them even in city driving. They are a very unusual experience which I could not have imagined if I had not driven one. I hope that in some ways the E55 is that too.

Quote:
    I asked whether you still liked your AMG is because I did not pick up the enthusiastic overtones you had in previous posts!

Reasons why my enthusiasm is a little bit slowed down:

• I had to visit my dealer too many times for too many little problems
    • I hoped to get more technical infos from AMG about the E55 and I didn't
    • Traction sucks, sucks and sucks and the steering could be slightly more direct
    • There seems to be a problem with power output at speeds way over 125 mph, AMG will check on that
    • Gearbox drives me crazy (shifting at speeds around 25 mph into 4th gear, downshift not satisfying)
    • Brake disc wear incredible, 10000 km and already lots of long cracks around the holes
    • Engine/exhaust sound nice but not loud enough for me, I need "juice"
    • With two little kids (one almost 3 years, the other one little over one month) life isn't easy now
    • I really miss my Porsche 996 Turbo, can't help it

Do I still like my E55? Definetely yes. It is fun to drive, it is fast and I love the interior finish and all the comfort gimmicks inside the car.

Quote:
    I asked whether you still liked your AMG is because I did not pick up the enthusiastic overtones you had in previous posts!

Reasons why my enthusiasm is a little bit slowed down:

• I had to visit my dealer too many times for too many little problems
    • I hoped to get more technical infos from AMG about the E55 and I didn't
    • Traction sucks, sucks and sucks and the steering could be slightly more direct
    • There seems to be a problem with power output at speeds way over 125 mph, AMG will check on that
    • Gearbox drives me crazy (shifting at speeds around 25 mph into 4th gear, downshift not satisfying)
    • Brake disc wear incredible, 10000 km and already lots of long cracks around the holes
    • Engine/exhaust sound nice but not loud enough for me, I need "juice"
    • With two little kids (one almost 3 years, the other one little over one month) life isn't easy now
    • I really miss my Porsche 996 Turbo, can't help it

Do I still like my E55? Definetely yes. It is fun to drive, it is fast and I love the interior finish and all the comfort gimmicks inside the car.

I can see why your enthusiasm has been dampened. The least AMG can do is have good connection with customers.

I can see why your enthusiasm has been dampened. The least AMG can do is have good connection with customers.

Interesting Info on the E55. RC, I am considering buying the E55 here in the USA. I have also heard of issues regarding E55. Have you heard if AMG and MB have solved the quality issues? It seems you like your Cayenne Turbo much better than the E55. Is that correct of me to understand? Why?

Interesting Info on the E55. RC, I am considering buying the E55 here in the USA. I have also heard of issues regarding E55. Have you heard if AMG and MB have solved the quality issues? It seems you like your Cayenne Turbo much better than the E55. Is that correct of me to understand? Why?

Quote:
    ArunK said:

I like the Cayenne Turbo more than my former E55 because of the following reasons:
    1. traction (oh boy, the Cayenne Turbo has not the slightest traction problems, even in the wet and even in curves)
    2. the steering feels better
    3. interior room and space for kids and luggage...GREAT
    4. during bad weather (heavy rain for example), the Cayenne Turbo feels rock solid and very safe
    5. the adjustable suspension always helps a lot to find the most impossible parking spots
    6. quality seems to be great, no serious issues (only a microswitch failue in the rear hatch and that damn throttle/shifting issue)
    7. people seem to have more "respect" towards the Cayenne Turbo, the E55 was "just another E-class Mercedes"
    8. the Cayenne Turbo feels much safer at 280 kph than my former E55 at a similar speed

The most annoying thing on the E55 was traction. What does it help if you have almost 500 horses if you can't put them on the street all the time.

Quote:
    ArunK said:

I like the Cayenne Turbo more than my former E55 because of the following reasons:
    1. traction (oh boy, the Cayenne Turbo has not the slightest traction problems, even in the wet and even in curves)
    2. the steering feels better
    3. interior room and space for kids and luggage...GREAT
    4. during bad weather (heavy rain for example), the Cayenne Turbo feels rock solid and very safe
    5. the adjustable suspension always helps a lot to find the most impossible parking spots
    6. quality seems to be great, no serious issues (only a microswitch failue in the rear hatch and that damn throttle/shifting issue)
    7. people seem to have more "respect" towards the Cayenne Turbo, the E55 was "just another E-class Mercedes"
    8. the Cayenne Turbo feels much safer at 280 kph than my former E55 at a similar speed

The most annoying thing on the E55 was traction. What does it help if you have almost 500 horses if you can't put them on the street all the time.

Here in the states Cayennes have had problems. And it seems more so than the E55. Traction I can understand as Cayenne has all wheel drive. Do you find cost of ownership the same as the E55? Have you written a review of the Cayenne turbo? Thank you for your response.

Here in the states Cayennes have had problems. And it seems more so than the E55. Traction I can understand as Cayenne has all wheel drive. Do you find cost of ownership the same as the E55? Have you written a review of the Cayenne turbo? Thank you for your response.

Quote:
    ArunK said:
    Here in the states Cayennes have had problems. And it seems more so than the E55. Traction I can understand as Cayenne has all wheel drive.

A short review of the Cayenne Turbo can be found in the MAGAZINE section of Rennteam.com.
    Please name the problems the Cayenne had in the states.
    To my knowledge there have been only minor issues, nothing really serious. No engine failures, etc...
    Of course recalls always sound dramatic but in the case of the Cayenne they were actually only precautions.
    There also has been that issue with the cardan shaft (vibrations), the micro switch issue (rear hatch) and the PCM software issue which has been corrected with V 3.
    If you heard of more problems, I would be interested to hear about them.

Quote:
    ArunK said:
    Here in the states Cayennes have had problems. And it seems more so than the E55. Traction I can understand as Cayenne has all wheel drive.

A short review of the Cayenne Turbo can be found in the MAGAZINE section of Rennteam.com.
    Please name the problems the Cayenne had in the states.
    To my knowledge there have been only minor issues, nothing really serious. No engine failures, etc...
    Of course recalls always sound dramatic but in the case of the Cayenne they were actually only precautions.
    There also has been that issue with the cardan shaft (vibrations), the micro switch issue (rear hatch) and the PCM software issue which has been corrected with V 3.
    If you heard of more problems, I would be interested to hear about them.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759361 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433622 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256826 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80540 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870597 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805554 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM