August sales: 1,404 -45% (vs 2,548)
    Boxster: 166 -47%
    Cayman: 114 -80%
    911: 351 -57%
    Cayenne: 773 -7%

Interesting stuff:
    GT3: 0
    GT3 RS: 1
    Cayenne S: 75 (vs 391) and it is "replaced" by GTS sales that are booming 309 (vs 0)
    Bottom line: Cayenne S+GTS: 384 vs 391 ...

YTD (8M)
    Total sales: 19,618 -17%
    Boxster: 2,349 -10%
    Cayman: 2,975 -30%
    911: 6,075 -31%
    Cayenne: 8,219 -7%

Re: Porsche August US sales

Very bleak figures - the economic slowdown is seriously beginning to bite

I can't agree more ....

Another exemple:

Porsche sales in the UK
    July 08: 587 units (-15%)
    YTD (7M-08) -25% !!!!

What about the ROW figures? Are these decreases offset by asian/russian/gulf markets?

Anyone has info?

Also new 911 introduced (no deliveries yet in the figures above) and production of 997.1 stopped at the end March. Moreover, FL Cayman/Boxster announcement expected early 2009. These are factors to be taken into account when interpreting the figures.

I was reading City AM today and it appears that Porsche has been trying to explain away the bleak figures by saying that it's normal to expect the figures to be down just before the introduction of the facelifted models since buyers were waiting for those to be available.

I think that this is indeed a factor - but only a small one and that this does not entirely explain the really sharp decline.

How soon before the situation improves? Could be 1-2 years or more. Looks like the introduction of the Panamera will be happening at a very disadvantageous point in the economic cycle.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    What about the ROW figures? Are these decreases offset by asian/russian/gulf markets?

Anyone has info?

Also new 911 introduced (no deliveries yet in the figures above) and production of 997.1 stopped at the end March. Moreover, FL Cayman/Boxster announcement expected early 2009. These are factors to be taken into account when interpreting the figures.

I agree with you, impending new version of 997 was very impactful!

Would be interesting to see how many orders have been placed for the new 911. There should be a bump in sales once Porsche starts shipping. Although I understand US dealers 911 allocations have been reduced significantly for 2009 model year.

However, there is a silver lining. Less Porsche's on the road. In southern California you cannot cross a street without almost being hit by one.

Sorry - I don't agree with that - in my experience, we have far, far more Porsches actually visible on the street here in London than you do in SoCal. Porsche may sell more cars in the USA than anywhere else BUT your country is so enormously vast that they're spread much more thinly. Our country is absolutely tiny plus, more importantly, wealth in the UK is not that evenly spread so the concentration of Porsches (and other exotic cars) in wealthy parts of London is extreme: e.g. Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Mayfair, Belgravia, South Kensington, Fulham, Notting Hill and, of course, Canary Wharf (which is now the postal code with the highest net disposable income in the UK).

Don't forget also that London has for over a decade been a playground for nouveau riche types (into conspicuous consumption) from Russia etc and that Persian Gulf Arabs (e.g. from UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain) with ultra extreme levels of wealth often spend every Summer in London invariably importing their super-exotic cars with them just for the Summer months.

I saw a far lower concentration of Porsches in SoCal than I was expecting (given your repeated assertions that Porsches are simply ubiquitous).

I actually don't mind one bit that there are so many Porsches on the road in London. They're more attractive to my eyes than looking at anonymous, characterless cars...

I would tend to agree with Easy_Rider.

For Porsche, in the US, their largest mkts are:
    #1 Los Gatos (Silicon Valley)
    #2 San Francisco
    #3 Los Angeles
    #4 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Palm Beach
    #5 Houston

UK is Porsche #3 mkt overall

For those who are lazy to calculate the relative weight of each market ...

At the current rate of sales growth of China, it will surpass Germany (zero growth...) as the #2 market in early 2011...

Any questions as to why Porsche is building a Panamera?

4trac I was just going to mention that!

Truly amazing that Chinese sales have doubled over the last year (and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future).

OK Tom, I'll bite..taking a step into the future

IF growth continues as we see it, here is where EricAlain's data points in terms of sales (for the 4 fastest growing markets outside NA/Europe) over the next 5 years. 2007 sales levels for the current top 3 markets are noted with arrows.

This graph is what Porsche management fantasize about in their sleep...

LOL!

I can definitely see China climbing into the top5 or top3 within the next 5-7 years.

Especially as the global economy cools in Na/Eu

Quote:
    4trac said:
    OK Tom, I'll bite..taking a step into the future

IF growth continues as we see it, here is where EricAlain's data points in terms of sales (for the 4 fastest growing markets outside NA/Europe) over the next 5 years. 2007 sales levels for the current top 3 markets are noted with arrows.

This graph is what Porsche management fantasize about in their sleep...

I would not bet my financial security on that extrapolation.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I would not bet my financial security on that extrapolation.

Nor would I... it is obvious that long before China sees this kind of geometric growth, somebody in China would have read Nick's posts re. Porsche being ubiquitous, and the game would be over...

Anyway I am certain that at this moment, Chinese engineers are fervently tearing apart a 911 to reverse engineer this car, and asking... "remind me again why the engine is way out back??? "

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    I can't agree more ....

Another exemple:

Porsche sales in the UK
    July 08: 587 units (-15%)
    YTD (7M-08) -25% !!!!

I was in my Porsche dealer last Saturday taking my car in for a service, I was looking at the cars in the showroom and all the salesmen just sat in their offices chatting and drinking tea. I guess that they are not used to having to try hard to get sales!

Cool stats EricAlain , so my city is #5

Quote:
    nberry said:
    However, there is a silver lining. Less Porsche's on the road. In southern California you cannot cross a street without almost being hit by one.

Nick, you've been telling us that for a couple of years now and you still haven't been hit.

Can't all those 911 owners in SD drive, or what?

LOL nice one fritz

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, you've been telling us that for a couple of years now and you still haven't been hit.

Can't all those 911 owners in SD drive, or what?

Fritz, there is balance in this world. Porsche September sales down 45%. At this rate, I might consider buying one given that less sales means less Porsche's on the road.

For the first time ever, I got a call from a dealer at Newport Auto Center asking if I was still interested in buying a 911. Sales must be pretty bad.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Sorry - I don't agree with that - in my experience, we have far, far more Porsches actually visible on the street here in London than you do in SoCal.

It also depends on which part of SoCal you're talking about. If you're talking about LA county, you're probably not going to be impressed. If the Westside, different story. I can't speak for LA county, but in Orange County, esp. Newport Beach/Laguna Beach, yes, you will see significantly more Porsches, obviously, than places like Anaheim, or North Orange County. But I don't think you'll be impressed by the number of Porsches in Newport/Laguna anyways. The car that is most prevalent in Newport by far is Mercedes/BMW. I believe that the Newport Mercedes dealership is #1 in the US, and has been for a long time.

Now, maybe in LaJolla, things are different there for Porsche. We have to 'trust' Nick here.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

I was in my Porsche dealer last Saturday taking my car in for a service, I was looking at the cars in the showroom and all the salesmen just sat in their offices chatting and drinking tea. I guess that they are not used to having to try hard to get sales!

The realities of working in a recession are going to be a shock for some of the younger people in the OPC network who've only ever known the good times. There will be redundancies before long amongst them and some dealers may not survive. I know of one who is looking to ditch the franchise and have heard from a couple of independent traders of OPC's peddling used cars out to the trade at seriously knocked down prices to make it appear as though their stock is turning over.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Fritz, there is balance in this world. Porsche September sales down 45%. At this rate, I might consider buying one given that less sales means less Porsche's on the road.

Nick, you must have taken a really strong dislike to the F California to even consider buying a Porsche.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    ... maybe in LaJolla, things are different there for Porsche. We have to 'trust' Nick here...

I did have the pleasure of visiting La Jolla and other parts of San Diego back in August. Honestly, I didn't see a single Porsche there. So IMHO ol' Nick is just exaggerating Porsche's alleged 'ubiquitousness' a little...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    ... maybe in LaJolla, things are different there for Porsche. We have to 'trust' Nick here...

I did have the pleasure of visiting La Jolla and other parts of San Diego back in August. Honestly, I didn't see a single Porsche there. So IMHO ol' Nick is just exaggerating Porsche's alleged 'ubiquitousness' a little...

I've just realized that Nick's been seeing VW Beetles in La Jolla all this time.

He's always said that he has a hard time telling the 911 and the Beetle apart.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

If you visited LJ on the weekend they were all driving their Lambo and Ferraris probably .

I wish ! Yes, it was a Sunday morning but sadly I didn't see any F or L cars either

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690277 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409611 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235148 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65628 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858317 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774544 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM