Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New E-Class revealed

looks like "Auto Zeitung" revealed the new E-Class ahead of its launch.

Re: New E-Class revealed

more like hyundai E-class

one more new car I dont like at all. Looks cheap for an E-Class!

I'm not a fan of MB and think they're styling looks forced and overdone these days with too many bulges and swage lines. That car looks bulbous at the rear and the chrome insert rising from behind the front wheel and up onto the rear bumper only accentuates that to my eyes. The odd reverse curve line beneath the side windows doesn't help either. Their styling tends to date very quickly these days as they try too hard to incorporate fashionable design cues rather than setting a trend like BMW who's cars tend to mature well with time.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I'm not a fan of MB and think they're styling looks forced and overdone these days with too many bulges and swage lines. That car looks bulbous at the rear and the chrome insert rising from behind the front wheel and up onto the rear bumper only accentuates that to my eyes. The odd reverse curve line beneath the side windows doesn't help either. Their styling tends to date very quickly these days as they try too hard to incorporate fashionable design cues rather than setting a trend like BMW who's cars tend to mature well with time.

Perfectly put, that is how I feel about all the MB's that have come out since mid last year.

In the past M-B were plain in design terms but at least looked robust and indestructible and some models even timeless.

Nowadays they are over-ornamented and busy. They are neither good looking and pleasant nor adventurous and different. I would never fancy a Mercedes in they keep on like that!

Another feeble car to clutter the already boring roads. Pity.

Looks Crap!

Ouch! That will be a hit in China.

really bad the wheels and tires look so out of proportion. it looks like a big car really small wheels

Reminds me of a top fuel dragster. Its front wheels just look optically tiny.

I like it . Sharper creased and tailored as most MBZ cars are becoming , getting away from their stodgier mid-late 90s " torpedo "-sided look.

I especially like the emotion created by the forward plunging chrome strip on the lower flank that gives it dynamic forward movement at a standstill - my MBZ SUV has that visual trick on the window line, repeated by the flying buttresses of the interior's center console -that I like a lot.

There is something wrong with proportions of this car,
    or maybe it is the photo.
    I'd wait and see the official release.

Wasted opportunity.

Quote:
    ezzie said:
    Wasted opportunity.

Ya i agree fully. I think ththe problem is that old people buy E classes and therefore it's a conservative design. Well i think any of us could have designed this new E. Very disappointing. I think MB needs some Cadillac designers.. they really turned their imagine around from old people and boring to now students all over their cars..

Example:

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    ezzie said:
    Wasted opportunity.

Ya i agree fully. I think ththe problem is that old people buy E classes and therefore it's a conservative design. Well i think any of us could have designed this new E. Very disappointing. I think MB needs some Cadillac designers.. they really turned their imagine around from old people and boring to now students all over their cars..

Example:

Can't please everyone/anyone 'cause we are all better " designers " in our own minds . On MBZ boards , they are saying it's losing " classsic " MBZ look and taking on too much " creasing " like a CTS !

BTW, has anyone ever been on ANY car board where a new version of ANY car has not been met with equal parts love AND hate ? If so, please share that link with us all !

I agree with most comments here so far, its' proportions are terrible, too jacked up, tiny wheels, it looks like some sub-compact.

Other than the CLS, the merc line-up is weak with the S class going to hell.

Here is the best looking merc sedan imo.

1997 S class, when a big mercedes made a statement;

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Looks cheap for an E-Class!

+1 and I have the same feeling of the actual C class.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    ezzie said:
    Wasted opportunity.

Example:

Can't please everyone/anyone 'cause we are all better " designers " in our own minds . On MBZ boards , they are saying it's losing " classsic " MBZ look and taking on too much " creasing " like a CTS !

BTW, has anyone ever been on ANY car board where a new version of ANY car has not been met with equal parts love AND hate ? If so, please share that link with us all !

1. I am an amateur designer, and there several others on the forum here

2. The MB board people are saying this because they don't like where MB is heading. Fact is young people are not going to be lining up to buy an E-class, but they are lining up to buy a CTS! Why? well cause the CTS shows a nice new trendy line with good performance figures. We haven't even seen their new engine choices, but we all know it's going to be the same old stuff.

3. Well read the above points and tell me there's an equal parts of love AND Hate.. it's all hate.

I'm just really disappointed by this new E-class. At least slowish sales will bring a facelift in a couple of years I'm not saying the car won't sell well because it might. It has a really strong group of buyers who are loyal.. but if Benz wants a homerun they should appeal to the ever more financial powerful young drivers. That goes for both Germany and NA where i imagine most cars will be sold.

This E, however, is just another E... nothing special. AS mentioned, a wasted oppertunity

it does look cheapish...
    And wheels look out of proportion.... to small.

actual rear shot (probably)

Looks like a Hyundia

This is what it could/should have looked like

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

Knowing the current C class , why is the final shape of the E a surprise ?The volume seller in each line ( BMW 3,MBZ E ) must be it's most conservative to appeal to the widest number of buyers , because it pays the bills .

BTW, It's 2008 , not 1992 :

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    actual rear shot (probably)

Looks like a Hyundai

They are saying that on all the German brand car boards because Raphael Bretecher and his Germany -based Hyundai design group have all worked at Audi and BMW so it's funny to hear people criticising a BMW or MBZ for looking like a Hyundai that was in turn commanded to look like the former by their bosses.
    The example that I love the most is where someone will say the new E continues to copy the Lexus GS' headlight graphic when it was the latter that shocked everyone more than a decade ago by blatantly ripping off the E class. Of course the poster was probably still in diapers then and wouldn't know any better .

I like the design trend and that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned. :

Rear view and interior shots.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/2010-mercedes-benz-e-class-first.html

Since S class all their cars are ugly (exception is SL FL). I don't know what happened with their designers..

Quote:
    MKW said:
    BTW, It's 2008 , not 1992

Someone forgot to tell the interior designers that fact then

The dash looks like they took the W124 design as their inspiration.

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Looks cheap for an E-Class!

+1 and I have the same feeling of the actual C class.

Yupp ++1 me too!

Ouch, my eyes are hurting...

I am actually a fan of Mercedes - I love the cars but I haven't been very fond of their styling for the last 10 or so years. This new E-class even looks so bad that it makes me think of switching brand.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:

Knowing the current C class , why is the final shape of the E a surprise ?The volume seller in each line ( BMW 3,MBZ E ) must be it's most conservative to appeal to the widest number of buyers , because it pays the bills .

Knowing the current C class the E class is a surpise because it looks the same (size). The E class isn't a surprise... it's more like a deja vu and therefore a huge disappointment. I'm sure when you say the volume sellers being the most conservative you meant the C not the E Right? Because in 2008 the E runs with the A6 and BMW 5er not the 3er.

The E could have been so much more.. german cars have always had the edge in design, and asians copied it usually always.. but lately it seems to go the other way

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809331 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267962 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91127 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7935 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888910 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    840899 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM