Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tom G.'s speedyellow GT2

Just met Tom over here in Germany on his way to Greece...in his brandnew speedyellow GT2. This car looks awsome, one of my favorite GT2 colors. More pictures to come later on, I have to work now.

Re: Tom G.'s speedyellow GT2

Very impressive! He made the correct colour choice.

So will he go via Romainia or is he going to chicken out and take the Italy-Greece ferry?

S.

I guess...

...he plays chicken but I have to admit that I'd do the same.

More pictures...

...enjoy.

Re: More pictures...

Last three pictures.

Re: I know...

Pretty sure I would too with a brand new car and one as hard and as low as the GT2. I frankly don't think it is up to the road conditions. The Turbo will do it but I doubt the GT2 will.

RC, what do you think of the add-on full cage? Do you think it really adds any safety to the car?

My guess is that it might help if the car gets slammed on it roof (presuming there is something at the bottom of the front braces) but I can't see it doing a lot of good in a frontal impact. Maybe it would also help in some side impacts but I doubt it.

And I'd worry about caving in my skull on the tubing.

Such a happy thought.

Still think it has killer looks.

S.

Re: I know...

As far as I know, the roll cage provides a lot of additional safety (especially if you'd somehow land on your roof-top ) but it is also my understanding that Porsche recommends removing the front struts (I hope this is the right english word) because of possible head injuries without helmet.

The roll cage also improves the chassis stability and is highly recommended for track racing.
    BTW: this is no real add-on roll cage. Once you got your car, it is very difficult to retrofit it. I can actually arrange it for any GT2 customer (and maybe Turbo customers too) to get this rollcage retrofitted at the factory (Luigi once inquired it and I talked to somebody at Werk 1) but it is not cheap and involves some efforts to get some parts out of production. Officially, a retrofit is not possible.

Caged animal

Yes, 'front strut' or 'brace' is correct.

Obviously you know what I'm thinking RC.

I've seen others who have bolted in the cage. But is this different to what is fitted at the factory? If I were to replace my current Turbo then these are the options I'd want:

1) delete rear wiper (easier said than done but I think it could be done)
    2) sport suspension (but maybe not if it isn't adjustable)
    3) X50
    4) the ClubSport package (cage, seats, belts)

Obviously the ClubSport stuff would need to be added. But if the cage was different then I'd want it put in at the factory. I probably would remove the front braces when not in a helmet as I do think it could be a problem.

And that's it!!!

S.

Re: Caged animal

Speaking of that, my setup now includes a rollbar and harnesses. My local dealer installed them a few weeks ago with no problem at all.

On a new car, I'd maybe remove the sunroof to increase headroom. But why would you remove the rear-wiper?

Greetings,
    --Pierre

Wiped

In reply to:
    But why would you remove the rear-wiper?

Because it detracts from the lines of the car. Because it easily scratches the paint. Because I have found it almost unnecessary. Because it is less aerodynamic (well maybe just a little). But mostly, because it adds unnecessary weight on an already heavy car very high up and towards the back where it is least wanted.

Oh, and to be different.

S.

Re: Wiped

You might like this picture too.

Does it have a rear wiper?? :)

As much as I said before that I'm getting tired of Silver, it still ROCKS

FixedWing,

Does removing the rear-wiper really save weight? I mean significantly? I've found it to be pretty useful. If you want to save weight, installing GT3 seats is a no-brainer: comfort seats are about 37 kg each against about 9 kg for a GT3 one. 56 kg less isn't negligible. (But you probably already knew that...)

Greetings,
    --Pierre

PS: amazing! this thread started with a GT2 and it's now about rear-wipers...

Silver

I think silver is ok on a Turbo. That is, after all, an ordinary car.

But for a GT2 one needs a little imagination.

S.

Re: Caged animal

In reply to:
    1) delete rear wiper (easier said than done but I think it could be done)

At the Exclusive Department I was told this option is possible but costs about 2000 Euro

Re: Caged insanity

In reply to:
    At the Exclusive Department I was told this option is possible but costs about 2000 Euro

I can just imagine that the drill the hole, paint and finish the car.

Then they go back and weld up the hole and paint and finish it again.

Can no one just stop the man (or woman) with the drill???

I would even donate the wiper to charity. Someone poor inner city dweller can have it for their rice rocket.

S.

Reducing weight on the 996 Turbo isn't easy.

Here are some of the possibilities:
    - removing the rear wing deploying mechanism (rear wing in upright position all the time)
    - exchanging original seats with the so called "GT3" seats and removing the rear seats
    - tearing off all leather and finishing material (doesn't save much weight though and the interior looks horrible)
    - removing the rear metal bumper (the metal thing between engine and plastic rear bumper)...bad luck if somebody kicks you in the rear without that thing.
    - buying lighter rims
    - mounting PCCB
    - removing A/C, PCM, radio, CD-changer, etc.
    - removing spare wheel
    - mounting a one mass flywheel

I guess with all these measure, you might be able to save around 80-100 kg. Is it worth it? I don't know.
    Removing the 4WD would result in an additonal substantial weight reduction but I don't know...

RC, you missed two:

1) Carbon fibre front hood. It weights 8 lbs.
    2) Enlarge intakes, replace cast aluminum with tubing. Close to 20 lbs here.

Sorry, you're right. One can also exchange the rear windows/side windows with plastic ones and there are lightweight doors available too.

But how far should that go? I guess you do the right thing: compensating weight with lots of power.
    Oh boy, I wish I had the "freedom" to do what you do...must be great fun.

In reply to:
    - removing the rear wing deploying mechanism (rear wing in upright position all the time)

Speaking of that, does anybody here also have problems with this mechanism? I've had mine replaced last January, but it still isn't working reliably yet. The wing goes up, but doesn't come down on itself. The warning light/message gets displayed at random times. So I have to 'manually' bring the wing down when I want it so.
    My dealer told me it's a know/common problem on the 996 Turbo, and although my car isn't under warranty anymore, they're gonna extend the warranty for this issue until it's fixed for real. I'm gonna give them the car tomorrow morning for another try...

About weight reduction, while you're removing A/C, PCM, radio and stuff, don't forget to carefully and completely scratch the paint! Could save 1-2 kg too!

Greetings,
    --Pierre

Paint?

Damn, how could I forget the paint?!

The wing deploying mechanism actually works pretty good.
    There is a very well known problem with a micro switch. Porsche changed it's design, it shouldn't be a problem for your dealer to install you a new one. This is actually an old problem on MY 2000 cars only as far as I know.

Re: Paint?

Yeah, mine has been delivered in August 2000, so it's probably one of the first ones that hit the streets. And you're right (again!): the problem comes from the micro-switch(es). Will see whether tomorrow's fix is the right one...
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

Glass

Replace rear glass with plastic. That's a big savings.

Or you could just hire Bob Linton to have a go at your car. Looks like he is chopping about 800 kg from a Porsche.

Oh, one of the reasons American Airlines doesn't paint their planes is the extra weight. It is considerable.

S.

Pierre, maybe...

...your dealer can do the "micro-switch thing" on the warranty, even if it expired. Ask him to try it because this has been a common problem on the Turbo.

Re: Pierre, maybe...

Yeah, they replaced the wing's mechanism, and it seems to be working fine now. Cool! And as we agreed before, they did it under warranty.
    Good!
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

Re: retro factory rollcage

It is NOT easy or cheap but we did it and worth the effort IMHO.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779052 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442208 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263083 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261363 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85594 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5787 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881063 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817387 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM