Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Steering Wheel options

Re: Steering Wheel options

Very well put.

Actually is should say Porsche 997S, not 997.

Unfortunately, Gallardo's steering wheel is firmly a part of bottom row....

That was brilliant, picture is worth a thousand words... too funny

The top row looks so... cheap
    You people are being so superficial, spending so much time complaining about a STEERING WHEEL DESIGN! Who cares how it looks? If it's got something to hold on, it's fine..

So far the top 3 reasons not to buy a 997 are friggin' hilarious, steering wheel design, 19inch wheel design, and lack of spare tire
    Quite a contrast between what people SAY they're looking for when buying a 911, and what they really think..

Have you seen the similarity between the Mini and the 997 wheel???

L@rs

Quote:
    brunner said:

huh, thats what the typical girl who buys the Mini or the Beattle on the bottom row would say
    ... what you call cheap, some call sporty brunner

Just because we talk about the almost unanimously retro-ugly out-of-place-in-a-sporctcar steering wheel, for example, doens't mean its the most important thing we look on in the car, does it?

so if they slap on the Knight Rider's steering wheel, you wouldn't care either, its just somethig to hang on to?

Quote:
    brunner said:
    You people are being so superficial, spending so much time complaining about a STEERING WHEEL DESIGN! Who cares how it looks? If it's got something to hold on, it's fine..

So far the top 3 reasons not to buy a 997 are friggin' hilarious, steering wheel design, 19inch wheel design, and lack of spare tire
    Quite a contrast between what people SAY they're looking for when buying a 911, and what they really think..

It looked in my hands as odd as it does in photos. The looks matter because you will spend very little of your total driving and ownership time time looking at the exterior ( only briefly as you walk up to car before driving off ) , but continuosly staring at that wheel until shut off and locking it .

The solutin to this problem is the multifunction steering wheel option, but that would cost more and also has too many buttons. I never liked steering with too many button, but the standard steering is so mini-like I am going for the multifuntion steering, and my dealer just told me that you could control lot of the PCM functions right for the multifunction steering wheel.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

huh, thats what the typical girl who buys the Mini or the Beattle on the bottom row would say
    ... what you call cheap, some call sporty brunner

If sporty means 'made out of the cheapest chinese plastic', then i don't want sporty.
    But it was a joke, carlos..

Quote:
    Just because we talk about the almost unanimously retro-ugly out-of-place-in-a-sporctcar steering wheel, for example, doens't mean its the most important thing we look on in the car, does it?

When 9 out of 10 threads about 997 are complaining about a damn steering wheel design, it kinda' does.
    If that wheel is so ugly, so mini-like, then don't buy the car.
    Oh, you're buying the car for other reasons..they WHY the hell are you spending that much time complaining about petty issues? (you as in 'people', not you, carlos:D)

Quote:
    Lars996 said:
    Have you seen the similarity between the Mini and the 997 wheel???

Yes. I've also seen that the Mini has a central rev counter.
    Damn, another similarity.

brunner,

So if you don't like the wheel you can't talk about it? the solution is not to buy the car if you don't like the wheel? relax, its only a small detail of the car, I haven't heard anybody saying the ugly wheel is preventing from buying the car, but its a darn ugly wheel and its just getting criticised for it, this is one of the things the forum is for. If you don't like to read about such things then simply skip through it don't read it. The CarreaGT got the (then current) 996's wheel, imagine if they would of put this wheel on the CarreraGT?

But I for one am glad most of the threads criticising the 997 are about superficial issues like steering wheel design because it means there is nothing else more serious or important to criticise on it! thats why I have no problem talking and joking about them, nor does it turn them into important issues because they get a lot of talk. Its all in good fun

Nice job, Ron.

But can you guys help me a little bit, I just don't remember which car had this steering wheel??? Mini Cooper, Volkswagen Beetle or...seems I have a complete memory loss. Does this steering wheel remind you of a current steering wheel on a new model with an "S" in it's designation?

Quote:
    brunner said:

I don't think it's hilarious that people would want a spare. There's nothing subjective, aesthetic, or arbitrary about wanting one's own Porsche to be a more _reliable_ car.

I like the steering wheel on my 996TT better than the 997S wheel, but I sure don't think the S wheel is ugly because it is round. (The centers of most 356s are round with nice crests, and I have never heard many complaints about them). I am more concerned about the plastic look of the horn surround, so I would get whatever option I could to cover the wheel with leather (not even sure there is such an option). But would I buy a 997S even if that were the only wheel--certainly!. The only reason I am not buying the S is because I am addicted to the whoosh, and am waiting for the 997 Turbo..

If you don't like the Porsche steering wheels, try the RUF wheel from the 996.....

I personally don't see anything wrong with the Steering Wheel at all, it looks cleaner than the 996 to tell you the truth.

If we were arguing why 355hp and not 380hp was a different story but as brunner said:
    Quote:
    Who cares how it looks? If it's got something to hold on, it's fine..

I agree .

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    brunner,
    So if you don't like the wheel you can't talk about it?

I was expecting this:) (not from you, though..)
    Everybody's free to talk about whatever he wants, to spend hours talking about the design of the lugnuts, or whatever. But so am I, free to voice my opinion and go after them

Quote:
    the solution is not to buy the car if you don't like the wheel? relax, its only a small detail of the car, I haven't heard anybody saying the ugly wheel is preventing from buying the car

I think you missed my point.

Lambo or ferrari wheel?

Quote:
    brunner said: But so am I, free to voice my opinion and go after them

Ok, you asked for it brunner! go after this...

But, if I don't like the steering wheel to much, nor the carrera S wheels, nor the new front, nor the shift nob, nor the interior design like the doors, nor the fake quad exhausts, nor the... how come I will be getting one in one or two years?

Like I said its all in good fun, the 997 is good in what really matters, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about the other stuff or laugh of ourselves sort of speak

That photographer should be shot
    (oh, and it's not really fair to compare a plain 997 to a friggin' GT3RS )
    I really don't understant what's going on at Porsche AG.. didn't they screen the pictures before releasing them?
    How is it possible that the first pictures of 997 to be absolutely horrific? It's like their intention was to scare away customers, and start stupid discussions comparing the 997 to minis..
    Ferrari understood the power of imagery, take a look at the F430 first pictures, taken and modified in such a way that the picture enhances the sporty look

It actually think the photographer did actually get shot cause the later pics were much better though still don't do the car justice compared to real life.
    As to the GT3RS... I had to "cheat" a bit

Quote:
    RC said:
    Nice job, Ron.

But can you guys help me a little bit, I just don't remember which car had this steering wheel??? Mini Cooper, Volkswagen Beetle or...seems I have a complete memory loss. Does this steering wheel remind you of a current steering wheel on a new model with an "S" in it's designation?

MY car has that steering wheel RC! It has done very well on the track with it and I prefer it to the 997 wheel

guys..all posts in this thread looks like if it was a 12 years boys thread...comparison with a mini..come on.. grow up!

Elise Wheel.

Oops, i forgot, the Elise is not a 'real' sportscar

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Elise Wheel.

Oops, i forgot, the Elise is not a 'real' sportscar

Good "shooting back", I like that.

Hey RC, any news on a 997 sports steering with multi-function buttons and the choice of having the steering wheel in carbon or alumunium???

Woshhhhhhhh

Quote:
    paulorangelmelo said:
    Hey RC, any news on a 997 sports steering with multi-function buttons and the choice of having the steering wheel in carbon or alumunium???

Woshhhhhhhh

I suppose the information flow starts again around next week.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691168 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410239 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65759 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858879 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775191 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM