Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT3 vs GTR from an owner of both cars

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-gt/140564-new-stable-mate-gt3-gtr.html

Verdict:

GTR is faster and a better DD
    GT3 is slower but more fun

And surely fun is the main reason we buy sports cars?

Re: GT3 vs GTR from an owner of both cars

Quote:
    AUM said:
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-gt/140564-new-stable-mate-gt3-gtr.html

Verdict:

Alternatively you can also buy the GT2: that one is faster *and* more fun

Quote:
    AUM said:

Verdict:

Then all the talks about Ring time on this board is useless, then. and everyone would have gotten a Lotus Elise.

Funny how it's suddenly about the fun factor when it comes to the GT-R, whereas everywhere else on this board the talk is about 0-60 time and track times ?

What is the name of that longest river in africa again ?

Shin I am with you. And now the Euro car lovers are talking about comparing a GT-R to a GT2! That is laughable. Nissan never made the GTR to compete against a GT2. At a third of the price, why would you even put them in the same sentence. That is what the V-spec is for and I have no doubt the V-spec will blow the GT2 away and might even be "fun" in doing so!

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Shin I am with you. And now the Euro car lovers are talking about comparing a GT-R to a GT2! That is laughable. Nissan never made the GTR to compete against a GT2. At a third of the price, why would you even put them in the same sentence. That is what the V-spec is for and I have no doubt the V-spec will blow the GT2 away and might even be "fun" in doing so!

Not true. I respect the awesome cornering capabilities of the GT-R and appreciate it for setting a much higher standard for others to follow, but I still wouldn't be seen dead in one. And the V-Spec, well, it's just going to be a lighter version of the GT-R with more power. Probably not much unlike the standard GT-R Nurburgring test subject .

Quote:
    shin said:

Funny how it's suddenly about the fun factor when it comes to the GT-R, whereas everywhere else on this board the talk is about 0-60 time and track times ?

What is the name of that longest river in africa again ?

I think it is funny. Before the GT-R came along the arguement was about how much faster
    X model Porsche was on track X compared to the competition, fun was never mentioned.
    Now there are numerous tests showing the GT-R dominance on the track so now the Porsche is known as a "fun" car.

Quote:
    WAY said:

V-Spec and GTR appear to deliver very similar performance: Nissan *claims* that the V-Spec does the NBR in pretty much the same time as the GTR ("below 7.30" vs. "7.29" for the GTR). Thus, Crash's speculation could be very correct: the V-spec might be 99%-100% identical to the GTR test car Nissan used to do the video taped NBR laps...

Based on these Nissan statements, the V-spec will not blow away any GT2, Scuderia or (soon to appear 560-2?).

It might be worth noting again that not a single independant test of the GTR on the NBR does exists. The Nissan fans are talking fantasy numbers and are repeating Nissan marketing claims. In contrast, cars like the GT2, Scuderia etc. have already *proven* their capabilities in independant tests.

In the end the Nissan (including the V-spec) might be a capable car. However, it is definitively an offer for those who are not able (or "willing" ) to pay top prices for the best quality. Nissan is cheap but second best

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    The Nissan fans are talking phantasie numbers and are repeating Nissan marketing claims. In contrast, cars like the GT2, Scuderia etc. have already *proven* their capabilities in independant tests.

In the end the Nissan (including the V-spec) might be a capable car. However, it is definitively an offer for those who are not able (or "willing" ) to pay top prices for the best quality. Nissan is cheap but second best

The Nissan also proved its capabilities. You must have missed all those tests from America,England or Japan. I believe only 2 or 3 cars have been faster than the GT-R so far: the ACR,the GT2 and the Scuderia.

Not only are those cars more expensive and less practical,they also have better tires.

BTW what would say if a Veyron or Enzo owner laughed at all those poor people that bought cheap Porsches and base Ferraris?
    Have you seen or heard of the 'quality' of the Scuderias?

What's wrong with the quality of the Scuderias?
    Is it bad?

The GT2 is faster in a straight line than the GTR but the track times. based on the tests so far, are very close. It is quite astonishing that the heavy Nissan can keep up with the ultimate 911 on a track.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=4717b80e35715&car2=46a06c22ab41a

You cannot critisize the GTR for poor performance and retain credibility.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The GT2 is faster in a straight line than the GTR but the track times. based on the tests so far, are very close. It is quite astonishing that the heavy Nissan can keep up with the ultimate 911 on a track.

The only significant test I know is the one done by Alain Prost for Quattroroute. In this test the GTR sucks badly compared to Scuderia, GT2 and LP560-4.

Believing that the GTR (or the V-Spec) can be compared to GT2 or Scuderia is like believing in Santa Claus... The GTR is heavy (1750kg+), has just 480hp and also comes with a AWD. I repeat it again and again: anybody who believes in this BS lacks experience and/or judgement. Sorry for the harsh words. I am sure the Supertest will confirm my theory.

P.S.: The summary table linked into the above post is basically structured as follows: NBR lap time based on Nissan factory *claim*, "Willow" lap times from Road&Track (the test where they stated that the GT2 suspension was too soft (!) and where LP560-4 and R8 were also quicker than GT2 on these "Willow" tracks... Also, the table leaves out the remaining lap times in the R&T test where the GT2 was faster than the GTR. i.e. this table is drawn up for readers who are easily mislead by BS), the GTR is slower in all remaining tests quoted.

Thus, only part of the R&T test supports your above statement regarding GTR and GT2. All other available tests and also the rest of the R&T test contradict it. Would you accept bets that the GTR will be much slower than the GT2 in the Sportauto Supertest The GTR will also be slower than the standard 997TT (FL) at the time it will be finally sold in Germany. You are comparing a car available in 12 months with cars that are already driving on the streets. That does not make much sense. We should then also speculate about the lap times of the 997TT FL and 997GT3 Mk2

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Believing that the GTR (or the V-Spec) can be compared to GT2 or Scuderia is like believing in Santa Claus... The GTR is heavy (1750kg+), has just 480hp and also comes with a AWD. I repeat it again and again: anybody who believes in this BS lacks experience and/or judgement. Sorry for the harsh words. I am sure the Supertest will confirm my theory.

So the only tests that aren't BS are the ones from Quattroruote and Sport Auto.

The GT-R was 2 seconds slower at Vairano and 17 seconds on the Nurburgring.

What do you think would happen if the GT-R gets a set of Michelin Cup tires? What would happen if the GT2 had the Dunlop runflats?

Quote:
    Walter said:

What do you think would happen if the GT-R gets a set of Michelin Cup tires? What would happen if the GT2 had the Dunlop runflats?

Interesting question, in particular as the specifically developed GTR tires are said to deliver similar performance as the Cup/Corsa tires sold by Michelin/Pirelli. I believe that this could be true: for example, the Pirelli PZero tires on my 599 offer quite similar track performance as the Michelin Cup tires on a 997TT.

The GTR was designed to compete with the 997 Turbo, not the GT2.

The GTR is faster than the Turbo on most tracks despite being a little slower in a straight line at higher speeds

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=4717b80e35715&car2=4585844a79f19

Anyone who dismisses all of these tests as BS or Nissan marketing lacks credibility.

People can dislike the GTR for a variety of reasons but performance is not one of them.

BTW the GTR is on sale in the USA and Japan.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=4717b80e35715&car2=458d856a36a6a

Why does the truth hurt so much?

just for the sound and looks, I would take the gt3 over 99% of the rest sportscars....

simple as that.

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    just for the sound and looks, I would take the gt3 over 99% of the rest sportscars....

simple as that.

The FEEL of the GT3 is very difficult to beat.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:

The only significant test I know is the one done by Alain Prost for Quattroroute. In this test the GTR sucks badly compared to Scuderia, GT2 and LP560-4.

P.S.: The summary table linked into the above post is basically structured as follows: NBR lap time based on Nissan factory *claim*, "Willow" lap times from Road&Track (the test where they stated that the GT2 suspension was too soft (!) and where LP560-4 and R8 were also quicker than GT2 on these "Willow" tracks... Also, the table leaves out the remaining lap times in the R&T test where the GT2 was faster than the GTR. i.e. this table is drawn up for readers who are easily mislead by BS), the GTR is slower in all remaining tests quoted.

Thus, only part of the R&T test supports your above statement regarding GTR and GT2. All other available tests and also the rest of the R&T test contradict it. Would you accept bets that the GTR will be much slower than the GT2 in the Sportauto Supertest The GTR will also be slower than the standard 997TT (FL) at the time it will be finally sold in Germany. You are comparing a car available in 12 months with cars that are already driving on the streets. That does not make much sense. We should then also speculate about the lap times of the 997TT FL and 997GT3 Mk2

I believe V-Spec will be faster than GT2 in certain tracks, while GT2 will be faster in others.

Whilst obviously Prost is one of the best drivers we have ever seen, I believe the reason he is so slow in the GT-R is because he drives the GT-R the way he would drive any other car. For example, you accelerate hard in the GT-R BEFORE you hit the apex. That is the advantage that GT-R has. I doubt Prost would drive like that as it is against every bit of his racing expertise. However if you give him the car for longer to learn the car, I have no doubt he would be much faster.

MKSGR, you can dismiss R&T times, but how do you dismiss credible publications like EVO and Drivers-Republic's Chris Harris?

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:

simple as that.

The FEEL of the GT3 is very difficult to beat.

Agree!

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The GTR was designed to compete with the 997 Turbo, not the GT2.

The GTR is faster than the Turbo on most tracks despite being a little slower in a straight line at higher speeds

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=4717b80e35715&car2=4585844a79f19

Anyone who dismisses all of these tests as BS or Nissan marketing lacks credibility.

People can dislike the GTR for a variety of reasons but performance is not one of them.

BTW the GTR is on sale in the USA and Japan.

That is true. It cannot be denied that the GTR matches/outperforms the 997TT on the track (and most likely in the Supertest as well). The upside of this is that Porsche is now forced to work harder on 997TT FL than they would have done otherwise

P.S.: I don't argue that the GTR is a bad car. In contrast, the GTR seems to offer excellent value for the money. Porsches offered at the GTR price level (997s) are definitively slower than the GTR. That itself is an achievement. My point is just to retain a realistic perspective and to keep sceptical towards factory claims. Now GM is doing marketing with a claimed 7.26 for the ZR1. Next week Lexus will claim some new figures. In the end, all this is just marketing stuff (including Porsche's claimed 997TT NBR lap time which was far off the Supertest result). Without independant, comparable and detailed test results all these NBR numbers are pretty meaningless.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=4717b80e35715&car2=458d856a36a6a

Why does the truth hurt so much?

It is quite funny you are posting this as I think that the GTR will not be faster than the 599 on the average track. Why? The GTR is also too heavy, is underpowered (in contrast to the 599) and AWD does not help either (please remember that there is no AWD car that outperforms a RWD with similar setup to date). Cars that are close to 1800kg (GTR or GT2) will never play in the same league as a GT2 on the track

The problem is that 99% of all Nissan fans and GTR supporters don't have a clue about this as they have never driver a 1800kg monster on the track

Quote:
    WAY said:

MKSGR, you can dismiss R&T times, but how do you dismiss credible publications like EVO and Drivers-Republic's Chris Harris?

Did EVO do a comparison of GTR and Scuderia/GT2 on the track already?

Merkus,
    I had a chance to drive GT-R(USA grey import) yesterday for 20minutes. I was totally dissapointed with it. Very fast? YES. Very, very big in overall feel? YES. Faster from 100km/h till 200km/h then Vette Z06(in straight line)? NO.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Merkus,
    I had a chance to drive GT-R(USA grey import) yesterday for 20minutes. I was totally dissapointed with it. Very fast? YES. Very, very big in overall feel? YES. Faster from 100km/h till 200km/h then Vette Z06(in straight line)? NO.

Very interesting experience

I would love to do a test drive of the GTR. Unforunately, this will be only possible late in 2009. Also, it appears that Nissan restricts test drives to people who order a GTR in advance. Very strange that, isn't it...

Ive driven a GTR on a Nissan invited track day. To prove further their belief Nissan accompanied the day with a number of pro drivers. Nissan are certainly not hiding anything, moreover they are clearly demonstrating just how good their product is. To a man the pro drivers had nothing but praise for the car a point that they proved when the invitees accompanied them on a number of hot laps (very hot)
    And guess what the most popular car in the guest car park was? Yep the 911. The consensus among the 991 chaps? Each totally admired the GTR to the point that we were happy to have ordered our car. Of the 911? Each of us still absolutely love this car, but the price per performance is not only poor against the Nissan but other competitors also. I had every intention of trading my current 911 S for the FL version. But rapid depreciation and nearly 30K more makes one question this judgement? Are my 911 days over? Surly not. I love the car (and despite comments elsewhere in this thread its not the money thats an issue, its the value for money) I am sure Porsche will make the next generation 911 extra special. And when that happens count me in. But for now i cannot wait until my GTR arrives next year.

Quote:
    Nidge said:
    But for now i cannot wait until my GTR arrives next year.

The problem Nidge is that by the time your GTR arrives next year the whole GTR hype will be over and you will be left with an asian aesthetics car with a downmarket name and I suspect an even worse rate of depreciation.

Ok, you may gain the odd second here and there (I don't know if you are tracking even) but so what?

It is like living day in day out with an ugly and low-class woman because a tester and a journalist told you that she gives the odd good blow**b!

Quote:
    Nidge said:
    Ive driven a GTR on a Nissan invited track day. To prove further their belief Nissan accompanied the day with a number of pro drivers. Nissan are certainly not hiding anything, moreover they are clearly demonstrating just how good their product is. To a man the pro drivers had nothing but praise for the car a point that they proved when the invitees accompanied them on a number of hot laps (very hot)
    And guess what the most popular car in the guest car park was? Yep the 911. The consensus among the 991 chaps? Each totally admired the GTR to the point that we were happy to have ordered our car. Of the 911? Each of us still absolutely love this car, but the price per performance is not only poor against the Nissan but other competitors also. I had every intention of trading my current 911 S for the FL version. But rapid depreciation and nearly 30K more makes one question this judgement? Are my 911 days over? Surly not. I love the car (and despite comments elsewhere in this thread its not the money thats an issue, its the value for money) I am sure Porsche will make the next generation 911 extra special. And when that happens count me in. But for now i cannot wait until my GTR arrives next year.

Sounds interesting. Nissan should offer a similar event in Germany. Would be intersting to drive the GTR on the track (ideally a track where personal benchmarks with other sportscars are available)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Nidge said:

Sounds interesting. Nissan should offer a similar event in Germany. Would be intersting to drive the GTR on the track (ideally a track where personal benchmarks with other sportscars are available)

BTW: My major concerns about the GTR as a track car are (maybe you can comment on them after having tracked the GTR):

- Understeer in slower/tighter sectors due to high weight and weight distribution
    - Break wear due to high weight
    - Tire wear due to high weight

What is your view: in what shape would be the car after 30-50 laps on a GP track?

you may be wrong there (but neither of us will know until next year) however if you look at current UK residuals for the skyline then history tells us that residuals are really strong. (although i would concede that this is Nissan's first venture into a global market with a GTR type car) I must admit i haven't seen the reports linking the GTR to a cheap woman. I have however read plenty of opinions most of which leaves the GTR engineering in high regard. The thing about cars is that they elicit many opinions. most such are subjective. thats why we enjoy such forums. Of course Porsche produce great cars (i still really love driving mine) but they are no longer the only car in town and after four 911's i am looking forward to a change (all be it temporarily) In my humble opinion however the GTR is a very good car and the fact that we are comparing it to the mighty GT2 is high praise indeed.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Nidge said:
    But for now i cannot wait until my GTR arrives next year.

The problem Nidge is that by the time your GTR arrives next year the whole GTR hype will be over and you will be left with an asian aesthetics car with a downmarket name and I suspect an even worse rate of depreciation.

Ok, you may gain the odd second here and there (I don't know if you are tracking even) but so what?

It is like living day in day out with an ugly and low-class woman because a tester and a journalist told you that she gives the odd good blow**b!

you may be wrong there (but neither of us will know until next year) however if you look at current UK residuals for the skyline then history tells us that residuals are really strong. (although i would concede that this is Nissan's first venture into a global market with a GTR type car) I must admit i haven't seen the reports linking the GTR to a cheap woman. I have however read plenty of opinions most of which leaves the GTR engineering in high regard. The thing about cars is that they elicit many opinions. most such are subjective. thats why we enjoy such forums. Of course Porsche produce great cars (i still really love driving mine) but they are no longer the only car in town and after four 911's i am looking forward to a change (all be it temporarily) In my humble opinion however the GTR is a very good car and the fact that we are comparing it to the mighty GT2 is high praise indeed.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809348 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450618 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267970 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91129 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7935 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888922 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    841079 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM