Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: RoadTest impressions: Porsche 997S Mk-II w/ PDK

Quote:
    antonio2 said:
    and my new 997 S pdk sport chrono, pasm - 20 etc. is arriving!

I would like to hear your impressions of the 997-2's S-PASM-20mm vs your ex-997.1's traditional shocks -20mm suspensions

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I would like to hear your impressions of the 997-2's S-PASM-20mm vs your ex-997.1's traditional shocks -20mm suspensions

Sure!!

Re: RoadTest impressions: Porsche 997S Mk-II w/ PD

Thanks Carlos! Lots of good information

One thing I'm puzzled by is that your description of the PDK behavior (won't hold a gear in manual mode) is different than that of the tiptronic now and I'm wondering why Porsche would change it. In manual mode, the tip will only change gears 'automatically' in manual mode if it 'needs' to (lower gear if the revs get too low, or higher gear if the revs get too high). You're saying that this is not the way that the PDK works, and that the PDK doesn't really have a manual mode unless you get the Sports Chrono Plus option? The behavior you describe seems like it's still in the auto mode as the tip has now... Can you clarify?

Hi brente, yes if you are in manual mode in the PDK and sustain or decrease throttle for a few seconds it will automatically go into auto mode and upshift a gear.

For example, PDK in normal mode likes to keep the engine coasting between 1000-2000 RPM, so if you switch to manual and downshift a couple of gear and the engine is at 4000RPM, if you try to maintain that gear at constant speed for say 5-10 seconds like encountering another vehicle in front that you can't overtake just yet, PDK won't let you, it will automatically go into auto mode ("D") and upshift the two gears back and drop to 1000-2000RPM.

Same thing with Sport mode, but in this case the PDK likes to keep the engine at 2000-3000RPM so it will only upshift one gear instead of two to be in between 2000-3000RPM. and only if you are above 2000-3000RPM to begin with.

Only in Sport Plus will it maintain what ever gear you have selected indefenately as long as it does detect that you need a lower gear, then it will downshift for you, but never upshift.

Hope this was a bit clearer

Thanks Carlos!

Sounds like in any mode other than Sports Plus, there is no 'true' manual mode as there is with tiptronic and any gear change is just a modifier to auto mode (to clarify, I know that even the 'manual' mode of tiptronic isn't completely manual as it will change automatically if it thinks it needs to). To me, this sounds like the behavior is very different than the way tiptronic works today and would be a big surprise to current tip drivers...

thanks for the great review.

grazieee!!

prego!

I'm very glad you guys enjoyed it, thank you

That rattling key !!!!

It drove me mad for about fifty miles when i picked up my car... Soon fixed it with some electrical tape !!!!!

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    That rattling key !!!!

It drove me mad for about fifty miles when i picked up my car... Soon fixed it with some electrical tape !!!!!

So the key is not supposed to be attached to a metallic key ring!

Either leave un-attached or perhaps use a pouch with a leather/fabric loop.

Fantastic review Carlos, thank you.

Quote:
    cdixon said:
    That rattling key !!!!

I couldn't belive it either, how did they miss that? and the problem is that "the" Porsche keyring's ring is... metallic!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:
    That rattling key !!!!

I couldn't belive it either, how did they miss that? and the problem is that "the" Porsche keyring's ring is... metallic!

Hehehe not enough attention to detail, I suppose.

You can use this soundproof key pouch though.

Quote:
    reginos said:

Or forced cross-selling

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    cdixon said:
    That rattling key !!!!

Looks a bit gay IMO

Call me a sentimental old fool but i am still using the Porsche key fob from my first Porsche 15 years ago so i am stuck with a metallic ring !

Awesome review Carlos, thanks

One question on the PDK setting ... does the PDK remember its last setting when you restart the car or does it always revert to the factory default each time you start the car and you have to change to your preference each time?

Or is the PDK default programmable via the Sport Chrono settings?

Thanks again for the very detailed review.

Hi plz,

PDK will always revert back to normal mode and auto when you turn off the car, if you want sport mode you have to press the button each time.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hi brente, yes if you are in manual mode in the PDK and sustain or decrease throttle for a few seconds it will automatically go into auto mode and upshift a gear.

For example, PDK in normal mode likes to keep the engine coasting between 1000-2000 RPM, so if you switch to manual and downshift a couple of gear and the engine is at 4000RPM, if you try to maintain that gear at constant speed for say 5-10 seconds like encountering another vehicle in front that you can't overtake just yet, PDK won't let you, it will automatically go into auto mode ("D") and upshift the two gears back and drop to 1000-2000RPM.

Same thing with Sport mode, but in this case the PDK likes to keep the engine at 2000-3000RPM so it will only upshift one gear instead of two to be in between 2000-3000RPM. and only if you are above 2000-3000RPM to begin with.

Only in Sport Plus will it maintain what ever gear you have selected indefenately as long as it does detect that you need a lower gear, then it will downshift for you, but never upshift.

Hope this was a bit clearer

Carlos,
    this is a very strange behavior which I did not encounter in my PDK testdrive!

If the PDK stick is not in D but in the left, the manual shift track, it keeps the current gear. Of course, unless you get to the red line when it automatically shifts up or if your RPMs are too low when it shifts down.
    It behaves similar to the tiptronic.
    It never shifted by itself in any other case.

Of course, also in D mode you can manually change gears at the steering wheel buttons, but then you are in manual mode only for 10secs. Then it reverts back to auto-mode and does what it feels suitable for current throttle setting.

Hi ray911,

Maybe thats what happened, you may have to put it in manual "with the stick" in order to have it maintain the gears, I did not try it this way and I don't think many have. So if you put it manual by using the steering buttons, it will not maintain gears, even though in the instrument panel it will say it's in manual mode as well. This can be confusing since its not the same then. I will try this myself next time I get a try. And will correct it on the roadtest to avoid confusion. Good observation

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hi ray911,

Maybe thats what happened, you may have to put it in manual "with the stick" in order to have it maintain the gears, I did not try it this way and I don't think many have. So if you put it manual by using the steering buttons, it will not maintain gears, even though in the instrument panel it will say it's in manual mode as well. This can be confusing since its not the same then. I will try this myself next time I get a try. And will correct it on the roadtest to avoid confusion. Good observation

Okay. So this clears up.

If the stick is in the manual lane, you can also change gears with the stick itself by pushing it forward or back. It is also in TFM that the buttons are just for temporary override to the auto selection. It is intended in cases you want to quickly pass other cars or to get into low gears just before approaching a turn. Cases which the auto-tranny cannot predict and where it would take too much time to enter the manual mode with the stick.

This whole thing was already introduced several years ago with the Tiptronic S with the 986/996 facelift.

Excellent report Carlos Thanks for sharing your impressions and photos Your conclusions seem similar to mine:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=450455&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

I can't comment on driving characteristics yet, but being in Bordeaux France a the moment, I just saw my first mkII 997 C2S, and my first impression is that the visual effects of the facelift really are minimal and not nearly as significant as the difference between the MkI and MkII 996.

I suspect the real difference comes when the car and lights are on and the LED is pronounced.

about the key: there is an option to leather-ify the key, it's about 80 euro's in germany.

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:
    about the key: there is an option to leather-ify the key, it's about 80 euro's in germany.

In the past there was only an option to get a leather pouch in interior leather. But there was no leather key any sort of.

excellent post as usual...i'm pretty convinced i would pick the manual over the PDK..part of the point of having a sports car is to experience the shifting..also, i agree that the new rear lights look like an afterthought and don't improve on the original 997 design, makes the rear look a bit droopy. i thought the 997, with the original carrera s wheel, was just about the perfect design.

Quote:
    ray911 said:

Carlos,
    this is a very strange behavior which I did not encounter in my PDK testdrive!

If the PDK stick is not in D but in the left, the manual shift track, it keeps the current gear. Of course, unless you get to the red line when it automatically shifts up or if your RPMs are too low when it shifts down.
    It behaves similar to the tiptronic.
    It never shifted by itself in any other case.

Of course, also in D mode you can manually change gears at the steering wheel buttons, but then you are in manual mode only for 10secs. Then it reverts back to auto-mode and does what it feels suitable for current throttle setting.

Ray - thanks for addressing this! I was confused by Carlos' description as it seemed as though the behavior was when the PDK was in the default Auto mode and not actually in the manual mode. The behavior you described with the PDK is exactly the same as the current Tiptronic, which I'm happy to hear...

well done !!

EXCELLENT report Carlos, congrats

J.Seven

This is my 1st post and thank you for the review on the new 2009 Carrera S.

Carlos, have you or anyone else had a chance to drive the manual and compare it to the new PDK as well as the previous Carrera manual.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    BTW - have you tested the FL manual? That would also be interesting.

Indeed, I will like to see it the engine feels the same with manual, also the throttle response and sport button. I will eventually get my hands on one I would think, and will report back

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763697 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436082 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260846 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257815 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

875380 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808438 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM