Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Rapid and Panamera at the ring

These 2 pics say it all for me:

I am sorry to say that the Cayenne is a better looking car!

The Rapid is just that much more aggressive and better looking.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    The Rapid is just that much more aggressive and better looking.

It certainly rolls a lot more.

It's not so clear-cut for me.
    The Rapide is more "traditional"in looks, whilst the Panamera is more odd-ball!
    Also - It's not really fair comparing a car that still has camo on with one that does not.

Sorry - I should have said one with only minor camo

Quote:
    Spyderidol said:
    Also - It's not really fair comparing a car that still has camo on with one that does not.

The rooflines, stances, dimensions will not change without camo. Headlights or rearlights do not make a car's proportion do they ?

The proportion says it all. The Rapide is an object of desire. The Panamera is an object of transportation tool.

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    Spyderidol said:

The rooflines, stances, dimensions will not change without camo. Headlights or rearlights do not make a car's proportion do they ?

The proportion says it all. The Rapide is an object of desire. The Panamera is an object of transportation tool.

IMO the Panamera will compete against the top models of the German manufacturers like Mercedes, BMW and perhaps Audi if they bring out a special car besides the S8.
    I am sure it will be top for driving satisfaction and road manners.

The Rapide is not in this segment simply because very few people (1.000?, mostly British gentlemen) in a year will want to buy one for various reasons of their own.

Now will the Panamera be beautiful? I don't expect to be beautiful according to the Italian/Maserati aesthetical code, but definitely it will look different and purposeful with good practicality and it will appeal to the type of people that choose a 911 or Boxster or a Cayenne over other competing cars.

I expect it to be a hit in the sense that Porsche will find their 20.000 happy owners annually.

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    These 2 pics say it all for me:

I'm sorry to say I don't see any Cayenne anywhere.

I thought only non enthusiasts had a problem mistaking 996s as Boxsters when Porsche slapped the Boxster's headlights onto them.

But when even Porsche enthusiasts start having difficulties diffentiating its models, they should really do some new designs LOL

I think he meant that even the Cayenne is bettter looking than the Panamera thing...

And yes these 2 pics clearly show the diff... One looks like a mish mash of design ideas and way to bloated whilst the other looks like a 4 dour coupe with a strong sporting feel.

Actually, after looking at these recent pictures very carefully, I tend to concur with Emperor that the Panamera will look very nice with the camo off.

well it's surely no battle in the looks department.....

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

I use the Cayenne as my 0 on the 0-10 looks scale. This latest effort from Porsche will be my new 0!!

On the top end of the scale are the DBS, LP560-4, LP640 and Alfa 8C

Im sure the rear of the panamera wont look like that....

Judging from the pics and the rest camo pics we've seen, the rear is very "egg" design, and dont like it at all.....
    I'm sure the final panamera will look with a mixture of Carrera gt and 997. (I hope)

Right now, I prefer the Rapide, just judging from those two pics....

I'm sure panamera will look a lot different than in the camo pics....no doubt

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    And yes these 2 pics clearly show the diff... One looks like a mish mash of design ideas and way to bloated whilst the other looks like a 4 dour coupe with a strong sporting feel.

To me the Panamera looks like the more complete car. OK you cannot expect everyone to like it, similar to what happens with everything else in life.

The Rapide although not bad looking is a caricature of any DB series two door.
    You know like those cartoonish drawings that they stretch or squeeze cars?

Very admirable reginos, you, emperor, and crash either like this or believe there is still camo left that will dramatically change this mutt.

I only see minor camo over the lights front and back, not enough to make a difference.

Say what you will, but the rapide looks tremendous and in proportion.

It's the panamera that looks stretched and squeezed, much longer and taller than the aston.

The 2 humans in the panamera are wearing helmets yet still have tons of headroom. Are they punks or is this derigible designed for coneheads ?

I am amazed that porsche put it on the same stretch of road as their competitor, Bez wins again!

Quote:
    racerx said:
    I am amazed that porsche put it on the same stretch of road as their competitor, Bez wins again!

There must have been a schedule mix up at the ring otherwise Porsche wouldn't run the Panam next to Rapid .

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

I use the Cayenne as my 0 on the 0-10 looks scale. This latest effort from Porsche will be my new 0!!

highly agree, my scale seems to be in tune with yours,
    the rapide is sure to be an amazing looking thing.

I tell you... I was once a die hard Porsche fan, but seriously guys - even the most staunchest Porsche zealots have to know when they are beat... I mean just LOOK at the pictures!

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    I tell you... I was once a die hard Porsche fan, but seriously guys - even the most staunchest Porsche zealots have to know when they are beat... I mean just LOOK at the pictures!

Let's wait until it's released. I'm no fan of a Porsche limousine, but it might just turn out fine.

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

EXCELLENT taste

Quote:
    Moogle said:

What do you drive these days Tom?

For all the spy photo's that have been released so far, I have seen overstuffed chairs that look better.

Quote:
    racerx said:

Sorry, when, better in what year did Aston build a better car than Porsche? Or when did they won a battle against Porsche in the same category? Bez wins "again" what?

Guys for me the pictures don't say it all! Both of the cars are seen almost full front view or rear view. Then the Aston has much less camo on top than the Panamera. Also the Aston is nothing more than a DB9 with 4 doors. I'm sure that if Porsche would have chosen to build a 4 door 911 we have all sad that they are unable to deliver nothing new. Don't get it wrong but I really want to see after we see the Panamera the way it is with no camo at all how many of you will continue to say it is an ugly car! Also at this very moment I like all the Aston, but they are too much one like another at different scales, and I'm a little worried about the final looks of the Panamera.

Many of you will start saying it is not that bad or that you start to get used to it, and douse that need a car like this will say that they are ready to buy one, and all this after being so cynical at this moment! My opinion is lets wait and see how the panamera will look without any camo and after that decide.

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

Sorry, when, better in what year did Aston build a better car than Porsche? Or when did they won a battle against Porsche in the same category? Bez wins "again" what?

Bez, imo, has won with the success of the V8 vantage. They created a new model from scratch that many reviewers now compare with the 997 on a performance basis, a car that Porsche has refined for decades. But who really compares a porsche to an Aston for style and looks and luxury? Many here have switched from porsche to Aston. That's a victory.

I personally would choose an aston, Vanquish, DB 9, or vantage over any currently sold porsche. (Of course the CGT is the best car on the road)

And now, imo, Bez has done it again. He has created a car that is more desirable than the porsche competitor. It looks so much better than the panamera. Who the hell is going to track or drag race a family sedan?

It's all about style, class, and image in a sedan. It's first and foremost a luxury item, end of debate. The performance is secondary, but i think a 500hp V12 should do the trick.

Bez used to be in charge of the 928 program back in the 90's for porsche. Now he is creating more great GT's.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

Bez, imo, has won with the success of the V8 vantage. They created a new model from scratch that many reviewers now compare with the 997 on a performance basis, a car that Porsche has refined for decades. But who really compares a porsche to an Aston for style and looks and luxury? Many here have switched from porsche to Aston. That's a victory.

I personally would choose an aston, Vanquish, DB 9, or vantage over any currently sold porsche. (Of course the CGT is the best car on the road)

And now, imo, Bez has done it again. He has created a car that is more desirable than the porsche competitor. It looks so much better than the panamera. Who the hell is going to track or drag race a family sedan?

It's all about style, class, and image in a sedan. It's first and foremost a luxury item, end of debate. The performance is secondary, but i think a 500hp V12 should do the trick.

Bez used to be in charge of the 928 program back in the 90's for porsche. Now he is creating more great GT's.

i agree on everything exept about the vantage being a "completely" new car... you see all astons are completely new but esentialy the same car. with the use of their HV (horizontal vehicle) chasis sistem the chasis and frame of the db9, vantage and rapide are merely a streched or shortened version of the same spaceframe. that is due to a vertebrae-like structure at the core of the chasis.

they have done it exptionally well, i do agree ,my pick is with an aston over any current porsche, but in a way they are all the same car, not that i see anything wrong with that, each one is so gorgeous, and they dont fall behind on the performance either.

PS: the rapide also has a hatch, just goes to show that it doesnt have to be ugly and bloated looking to have one

Quote:
    Enmanuel said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

i agree on everything exept about the vantage being a "completely" new car... you see all astons are completely new but esentialy the same car. with the use of their HV (horizontal vehicle) chasis sistem the chasis and frame of the db9, vantage and rapide are merely a streched or shortened version of the same spaceframe. that is due to a vertebrae-like structure at the core of the chasis.

I believe what racerx is saying is that the V8 Vantage without a direct predecessor, unlike the DB9 of which successor was the Jag XK-based DB7, or the 997 of which predecessor was the 996, 993 etc etc.

Therefore the V8 Vantage is a completely new model and at first try, it's brilliant.

By looking at the Rapide shots above it is easy to see that second row room is cramped, with difficult access. OTOH the Panamera should offer generous room in the back - that is important for a comfortable long range saloon.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    By looking at the Rapide shots above it is easy to see that second row room is cramped, with difficult access. OTOH the Panamera should offer generous room in the back - that is important for a comfortable long range saloon.

but those are only shots of the show car from 2006, the production car is sure to improve on comfort and take care of those aspects.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM