Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Jay Leno Article - AutoWeek - CGT, SLR, Ford GT

This is a great article. Short and sweet, and great comments by Jay.

I'll give you a taste of it here...

Q: What, no Enzo?
    A: It doesn't interest me. I don't like the paddle shifter.

Q: You still have the Carrera GT loaner, how do you like that?
    A: I put 500 miles on it. I bought it because of the clutch. What is it, a 60K mile clutch? The McLaren (F1) clutch is 3000 or 4000 miles. I love the fact that the Carrera GT has no paddle shifter . I have not met anyone who loves paddle shifters . I think there's a great deal of satisfaction in mastering the proper shift of a car. If it's going to shift for you, get the video.

Q: You really love that carbon clutch, don't you?
    A: It doesn't smoke, it doesn't smell. Any other car, you do a burnout and, "Sniff, sniff, uh oh." Let's face it, if you've got a Countach and some kid comes up to you in a '57 Chevy, you say, "Yeah, I could beat this kid but it'll cost me $4,700 in clutch repairs." With the Porsche, it's not like that.

Overall he says the Ford GT at $150K is the "bargain of the century" ... "Look, $150K is a lot of money, but when you realize that the Ford GT is within, what is it, a tenth of a second of the Enzo? And it's a Ford! So you could fix it yourself if you had to.

Re: Jay Leno Article - AutoWeek - CGT, SLR, Ford GT

Jay Leno has some good taste .. but i hate him for his car collection

Quote:
    TopherV said:
    Jay Leno has some good taste .. but i hate him for his car collection

Most of us could only wish of owning just one of those supercars, let alone all three.

Jay says the SLR is the "daily driver" which you can give to the valet. The CGT is no way in hell going to the valet. He loves the Ford GT too. Plus with all of his other cars, I wonder what the decision process is for which one to drive? Decisions, decisions...

can u post the article?

"
    "

jay leno... slushbox extraordinare.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

jay leno... slushbox extraordinare.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Jay drives any stick you can throw at him, maybe better than many on these boards.

Quote:

He is rich and famous, but he might not be in the invitition list

Quote:

If it's going to shift for you, get the video.

Why bought the SLR then?

Quote:
    Why bought the SLR then?

Because it's a daily driver GT-type of car? And the enzo is faaaar from that?

Quote:
    fastcars said:
    can u post the article?

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100642

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    Why bought the SLR then?

Actually the Enzo is just as docile as the slushbox SLR and unlike an SLR, the Enzo doesn't have a severe stability problem when braking from high speed. On the other hand, the Enzo cannot run at high speed/rpm all day long. Why? I don't know yet. I also don't know for sure but I doubt the SLR has a problem maintaining high speed/rpm all day long. But with its high speed stability problem, not many people would be crazy enough to find out.

There's only one new supercar this year that does not have the above mentioned problems and that's the...

P.S. Thank you, Mellow Yellow. I love reading interviews of Jay Leno's car enthusiasm and the car magazine articles that he personally writes.

Thanks for the link!

I don't think a lot of people are consistently going 200mph+ for a long time...

Indeed I find it quite ridiculous to discover the high-speed problems on the SLR. AMS stated that this won't occur with the active rear spoiler set in the upper position constantly but drag would prevent it from reaching topspeed in this case... I would have wished to see more enthusiasm in designing that car, there seems to be to much Mercedes in this ... McLaren!

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    Why bought the SLR then?

Actually the Enzo is just as docile as the slushbox SLR and unlike an SLR, the Enzo doesn't have a severe stability problem when braking from high speed. On the other hand, the Enzo cannot run at high speed/rpm all day long. Why? I don't know yet. I also don't know for sure but I doubt the SLR has a problem maintaining high speed/rpm all day long. But with its high speed stability problem, not many people would be crazy enough to find out.

There's only one new supercar this year that does not have the above mentioned problems and that's the...

P.S. Thank you, Mellow Yellow. I love reading interviews of Jay Leno's car enthusiasm and the car magazine articles that he personally writes.

Curious where you heard/saw that Enzo cannot run at high speed/rpm for sustained periods? Was this one car's story or is this a well-established Enzo weakness in all copies? Anecdotally, I consistently have heard surprisingly positive comments re: Enzo robustness from hard-driving owners....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Curious where you heard/saw that Enzo cannot run at high speed/rpm for sustained periods? Was this one car's story or is this a well-established Enzo weakness in all copies? Anecdotally, I consistently have heard surprisingly positive comments re: Enzo robustness from hard-driving owners....

This is partly well-established, partly a one car story, and partly my personal experience. It is well known from magazine articles (and my personal experience with the body panels under summer sunlight) that the Enzo's engine overheats and carbon fiber body panels expand in traffic. Unlike the over-engineered CGT, the Enzo's engine cooling system is not able to cope with long periods of city driving in traffic. It needs to gulp large amounts of fresh air at speed to cool itself. So, first, we have established that it has an engine overheating problem in a city situation.

Second, a well-known member of the m5board.com named Lonman who lives in England and has participated in the Gumball Rally twice, first time in his SL55 and second in his lightly modified GT2, confirmed that during this year's Gumball he was able to hang with an Enzo (confirmed by the Enzo passenger), also a Gumball participant, up to 200 mph. The Enzo pulled away above 200 mph. These two cars were the fastest cars in this year's Gumball and developed a respect for each other during the rally.

However, according to Lonman, his GT2 can cruise at 180 mph all day long whereas the Enzo can't. He did not state why the Enzo was not able to do the same. So, I assume it is due to the engine not being able to sustain high rpm's and or heat over the course of an entire day when driving at high speed on public highways. High speed means plenty of air for the engine, so it must have another inherent problem that only a few people know about. After all, not many are willing to enter an Enzo in a high speed rally traversing different countries under differing conditions and put the car through its paces.

Here is what he said:

The Enzo seemed to me to be the faster car. When we first saw it behind us, we assumed it was the yellow Gallardo (I did not know that there was a Yellow Enzo). We were doing 180mph and it still seemed to be closing up on us. We sped up and up and it still seemed to be catching. As it passed us we were doing 200mph+ (not sure exactly). We sat behing them at 350kph (their words) which is about right, because we had 218mph on the speedo.(for the record.....1.4 Bar and a longer 6th gear)

The beauty of it is, is the fact that the GT2 can sit at 180mph all day long, but the Enzo cannot. We arrived at the Casablanca lunch checkpoint in 1st place, 15 minutes before anyone else. Kimble was second. We over took him 100 miles outside Casablanca. It is fair to say that overtaking Kimble in not an easy thing to do....he is flat out everywhere he goes.

Hats off to Yellow Enzo, he was proper fast...........As long as the car let him.

"Porsche, there is no substitute"

Ps....If you're not a believer, you need to check out the empty, long, straight roads in Morrocco!!

Here is the link to Lonman's statement:
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41988

Maverick, thanks for the datapoints...definitely reasonable. It's probably particularly difficult for any car co. to engineer reliability w/so few copies in a production run...then again Merc and BMW seem to consistently prove that higher production volumes and technologic advances are inversely correlated w/quality and reliability

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Maverick, thanks for the datapoints...definitely reasonable.

You're welcome, VKSF.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    It's probably particularly difficult for any car co. to engineer reliability w/so few copies in a production run...

Maybe, but when I see Ferrari put in a 100% effort into their F1 cars, making them the most reliable among the constructors, I see no excuse for not giving the Enzo the same attention to detail.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    then again Merc and BMW seem to consistently prove that higher production volumes and technologic advances are inversely correlated w/quality and reliability

Mercedes Benz was my first love and BMW my second. I become emotional every time they release products that distance themselves from the qualities that made them famous.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766885 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437851 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261587 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258535 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    83089 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877933 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810564 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM