Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Panamera is ugly...

The Panamera is ugly. Some say that it looks like a squashed Cayenne with a sloped rear:

Additional comments: AutoBlog and GlobalMotors.net.

Re: The Panamera is ugly...

Not fond of its rear view at all but the front seems to be getting a nice shape to it.

I just can't believe even with the camo off the rear would look nice .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Not fond of its rear view at all but the front seems to be getting a nice shape to it.

I just can't believe even with the camo off the rear would look nice .

The front resembles a C6 but it's not as well integrated with the rest of the car. The side is a stretched shoe. The rear (see below) is a distorted Carrera. The whole thing is a disaster. The stretched 4-door 996 of a few years ago was a far more balanced design. But no worry - it will sell well among poseurs. Another error, along with the Cayenne, to add to the list of PAG mistakes.

That is the worst looking car that Porsche has ever produced imho.

I'm late to this thread. ...So is this the new Porsche Funeral car? Who died??

Quote:
    dan996 said:

Cayenne is uglier, but nobody cares
    And they want to compete with the CLS, please

Good point with the CLS. If Porsche had made the CLS, it would be even a bigger legend than as a Mercedes.

About the Panamera, I would like to be able to say that in these pictures the camo is still on. Then you realize that the rear lights and rear door are probably set, so how can this car improve in shape dramatically? It can't.

Imagine what we would be saying if this car was made by Huyndai. We would probably be laughing here about korean design.

For final evaluation, though, I will have to wait for the finished product and a live meeting with it. So far it's not looking cheery.

Quote:
    MarekN said:... Imagine what we would be saying if this car was made by Huyndai. We would probably be laughing here about korean design.

Hyundai has better designs out there. This is a total blunder. The interior is a total joke too. The 911/Cayman/Boxster are still the P-car soul - I wonder for how much longer.

I think this situation is due PAG moving marketing focus to the Far East, where these blunders are well accepted.

Quote:
    awai08 said:
    I'm late to this thread. ...So is this the new Porsche Funeral car? Who died??

The passion. The passion died and is gone forever.

Quote:
    Wrubel said:
    Quote:
    dan996 said:

The success of the Cayenne was mainly due to the SUV-hype, which is rapidly dying now.

I can't see such a hype for a big fat saloon, which pretends to be a sportscar and isn't even half as elegant as a Quattroporte for example.

This is probably the tenth time I'm asking this, but is there anyone with solid info on whether there will be a 2-door coupe version of this ?

Quote:
    shin said:
    This is probably the tenth time I'm asking this, but is there anyone with solid info on whether there will be a 2-door coupe version of this ?

Can you see a 2-door version of that? would they shrink the cabin for that? Such a version would pale compared to the ancient 928. This car is a disaster.

And we, 911 fans, are already suffering from it, as its gaudy steering wheel has already entered the 997.2 in the PDK version - ugly, ugly steering wheel with vulcan gray everywhere.

Two door front engine coupes? Probably not - AM has that market segment covered methinks.

Who would buy a cayenne squashed into a panamera then squashed again into a coupe... when they could have one of THESE:

Yup... I assume this will be competing against the AM Rapide... IMO the Porsche has no chance against that... If you want a exotic, sporty 4 door its the AM every day... CAnt see the Porsche looking good at all.

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Yup... I assume this will be competing against the AM Rapide... IMO the Porsche has no chance against that... If you want a exotic, sporty 4 door its the AM every day... CAnt see the Porsche looking good at all.

The Rapide will be a vanity car while the Panamera will actually outperform cars like the M5. Two different car. Besides that the Panamera will be more spacious. Check out the rear door of the Rapide, horrendously tiny.

Panamera will be the car of 2009, people are going to flock to dealers for it. Highly promising car, will look very sexy onces the camo has been removed. Good things come to those who wait Porsche are probably laughing to all the negative comments since they've seen the car without any camo.

"Panamera will be the car of 2009" For me this doesnt make sense, however when I think about it it could happen... The Cayenne, which I happen to think is one of the ugliest 4x4's out there sells loads so maybe its possible...

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

The Rapide will be a vanity car while the Panamera will actually outperform cars like the M5. Two different car. Besides that the Panamera will be more spacious. Check out the rear door of the Rapide, horrendously tiny.

Panamera will be the car of 2009, people are going to flock to dealers for it. Highly promising car, will look very sexy onces the camo has been removed. Good things come to those who wait Porsche are probably laughing to all the negative comments since they've seen the car without any camo.

The mule in the pics above are covered with tapes only. No camouflage parts on.
    The final product's silhoutte will be nothing different with this mule. Sleek? Not even if viewed from a mile.

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

The mule in the pics above are covered with tapes only. No camouflage parts on.
    The final product's silhoutte will be nothing different with this mule. Sleek? Not even if viewed from a mile.

The silhoutte is affected by the fact that the green house is tinted, rear window is tinted, contours on the rear bonnet covered. Those are all things that affect perception and the overall shape of the car. I've seen many mules and know of the techniques manufacturers use to fool photographers and viewers disguising their cars in clever ways. Either way there's no point of arguing since we haven seen the car with all the camo stripped off. It will only be a matter of time before it's unveiled.

I remember when the current Mercedes CL was in testing phase. Just like the Panamera it pretty much looked like a big potato on wheels and heck even I hammered it. When it was unveiled people couldn't believe how gorgeous it was.

As a station wagon I guess we could accept it but as a Sedan or even sports sedan? questionable.

This car is so ugly it will devalue all Porsches as a whole brand!!!

It would have to look like this to change my opinion:

Quote:
    shin said:The mule in the pics above are covered with tapes only. No camouflage parts on.

No that is not true! - The picture clearly shows that there are still false panels on the sides of the rear bumper, giving the rear-end a "heavy" look. There are also false panels on the ends of the rear lights (along with tape covering the lights). There are also small false panels covering the front end of the car.
    Having said that, The overall shape of the car is what we see. No better; no worse.
    I hated this car the first times that I saw it and over the next four or five months. Incredibly, I have grown to be quite fond of it . I do not, however, consider it to be a "pretty" car.

.....hideous.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Wrubel said:
    Quote:
    dan996 said:

The success of the Cayenne was mainly due to the SUV-hype, which is rapidly dying now.

I can't see such a hype for a big fat saloon, which pretends to be a sportscar and isn't even half as elegant as a Quattroporte for example.

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

x 1,000,000

Doesn't anyone at Porsche know the term WTF!?

That should have been exclaimed when this design was presented to the board.

It's a gigantic ugly mess with almost zero camo when gas prices are rising long term. It has NOT changed one bit since it made its first appearance.

Quote:
    WC996 said:
    .....hideous.

second that, HIDEOUS. SO U-G-L-Y no matter what Porsche diehards say. First a VW tank with a Porsche badge, now this giant hatchback ? UGH.

You're absolutely right Ron. I don't see too many high- society folks paying $100k for a station wagon.

Great comparison Ron.
    Clearly, We can see where the problem is, it's at the back.
    Just imagine this car as a sedan, it would change everything.
    This superstructure above the rear axle kills the car

The pistures I have seen with the camo on I can't see how that shape is going to look good without the camo myself, but if there is one thing I have learned over the years of looking at test mules and camo prototypes, is to try to judge it until the camo is completely off.

What bothers me is that what I can already see even with the camo, it could have looked so much better if they had maid it different... the rear on the side view specially... its simple: slanted= sporty, huntched = stationwagon. When you see the quattroporte for example, you can see that a 4-door large sedan does not necesarily need to look ugly. But then again there making judgements until the camo is on is useless, so I will wait.

On the Mercedes CL we see the camo, but where is it on the Panamera. I don't see it.

Porsche thinks that if it got away with the Cayenne, it can repeat the same thing with this car. To an extent they are right, but that doesn't make it any sweeter for us with a brain between our ears.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Wrubel said:
    Quote:
    dan996 said:

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:

x 1,000,000

Doesn't anyone at Porsche know the term WTF!?

That should have been exclaimed when this design was presented to the board.

It's a gigantic ugly mess with almost zero camo when gas prices are rising long term. It has NOT changed one bit since it made its first appearance.

What you all are forgetting is the Porsche name will have buyers flocking to the showroom to buy this car. As I have stated so many times, Porsche knows its customer base and they know they could put a Porsche badge on a Kia and the customers will buy it.

It is the way it is and why all other car manufacturers are envious of Porsche.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777868 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441952 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262899 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261129 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85387 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5662 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880804 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816322 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM