Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RoadTest impressions: Porsche 997S Mk-II w/ PDK

Porsche 997 CarreraS "Facelift" with PDK

This is more of a comparison between the new CarreraS Mk-II with PDK transmission and the 997CarreraS Mk-I, specifically my 997S with manual tranny and -20mm/rear LSD Sport Suspension. Instead of talking about the general stuff about the 997 that we all already know I will concentrate on the differences with the pre-facelft version which I think is more interesting to us. Many of the comments will be subjective opinions (sensations, impressions, preferences, etc) so take it in the context that many of the things are the impressions of one person and do not necessarily apply to everybody.

OK, here we go.

EXTERIOR

The exterior changes are subtle since it's a facelift only but it takes some getting used to coming from a 997.1. The front with the new lights and intakes are not bad and they give it a more modern look, but they could have made it a bit more aggressive in my opinion.

But when we look at the rear, the rear tail lights do not fit the lines of the car, they are to curvy and feminine. It's like if they were forced to change something in the rear not because it looked better and made sense, but rather because they had to change something for the facelift, and had to make it different somehow. They don't improve upon the previous design which was done in conjunction with the whole car and now this change does not fit in this total design.

The 19" wheels also changed and while I'm not thrilled with the design, I prefer them to the previous stock 997.1S wheels. Fortunately Porsche offers us a selection of optional wheels to choose from to fit each one's taste.

The new 997.2 finally incorporates leds in the front and in the rear, a simple technology that has been around for a while now.

INTERIOR

Contrary to the exterior, in the interior the aesthetic changes as a whole are less but the functional ones are more. The main change is the central PCM console which now has a touch screen which is also larger, black plastic finish, and different arrangement and buttons. Personally I like the new one better, maybe because I have grown tired of the previous one, but I think this one in black is more elegant and sportier. The navigator interface has improved a lot and while the touch screen gets dirty with finger prints its very worthwhile.

The 997.2 incorporates iPod/MP3 connection, something that I can't figure out why wasn't incorporated already in the 997.1, or in the 996 for that matter. The problem with it is that if you use any MP3 other that an iPod, you will not be able to control the device through the PCM screen and since the location of the connection is in the pocket underneath the armrest, you will have a hard time changing songs while driving. But I guess that is easily solved by buying an iPod if you don't have one and using that one for the car.

The key has also changed slightly, it's a bit less colorful but it has a better feel; heavier, more solid. But something interesting happened to me with the key. While I was driving I was hearing an annoying metallic rattle coming from the left. When I finally discovered what it was it turns out it was the key against the key chain ring. The new key has the loop where the keychain ring attaches made now of metal instead of plastic (you can see in the picture bellow) and since the ring is also metal, when driving, the vibrations or bumps would make a metal-against-metal rattle. So the keychain for this key must have a ring made of something other than metal (plastics, leather, etc).

ENGINE

The main difference is the new Direct Fuel Injection and bump to 385HP. In practice it's not a big horsepower change but you notice better low end grunt and elasticity, looking back this engine has now nothing to do with the 3.6l of the 996 Carrera for example. I don't know if the new PDK is more responsible for this than the new engine but will know when I try a manual.

Also, on acceleration from a standstill the car feels like it has more power that what Porsche declares. With the new engine, the PDK tranny, the rear weight bias, and the Launch control, the car feels like it's a car with more than 400HP, it's surprising. But we will return to the PDK later.

The engine sound has also changed. It's maybe a bit deeper upon the initial depression of the throttle, and afterwards it sounds different quality, a fuller less defined sound, a bit different than the traditional 911 sound. But since I'm used the Sport Exhausts on my 997S, which is not only louder but also much throatier, I'm not the best to judge the difference in the standard exhausts. They all sound too "muffled" to me now.

CHASSIS

This vehicle had the standard -10mm PASM suspensions of the CarreraS. Being spoiled by the -20mm traditional shocks sport suspension with rear LSD in my 997S I still find that the steering in the PASM does not have as much feedback and is not as direct as in the 997.1-20mm, which seems lighter and more agile through the bends. I also noticed that this car had a bit more understeer tendency than mine as well, though not much. But unless you have tried the -20mm I doubt you will have any complaints on the PASM's performance. I would have liked to test a 997.2 with the new Sport PASM-20mm and rear LSD option and see how it compares instead.

The 997.2 can now incorporate the rear mechanical LSD as an independent option as well which I believe is a must in these cars. It has no drawbacks and gives the car a sportier behavior though tighter corners, better traction coming out and better stability when braking to take a turn.

Looking at the wheel arches, you can see the difference in ride height between the PASM-10mm and the 997.1 Sport-20mm suspension.

The "Sport" button from the Sport Chrono Pack also changes the throttle response making it more direct and sudden but I noticed that in this car it's not as noticeable a change as it is on mine where the difference between "normal" and "sport" is very noticeable, both when pressing the throttle as well as when letting go of it. I don't know if the PDK transmission or the new DFI engine has to do with it. Though it's not like in the case of the 997 Turbo, in which due to the turbo lag, the effect of the "Sport" button on the throttle goes practically unnoticed in comparison.

PDK

And we finally get to the double clutch sequential PDK that takes up most of the spotlight when driving this car in comparison to previous models, so I will try to elaborate a bit more on this subject for this reason.

Porsche took a long time to come up with sequential transmission but the wait I have found to be worth it. If I had to define the PDK in two words, I would say efficient and versatile. The way it can change from gear to gear is impressive without any interruption of power whatsoever, and save for the change is sound it makes and the slightest hint of a vibration on the shorter gears you cannot feel the gear change. Even when downshifting before a curve, it's a completely smooth transition and makes it more stable coming into the turn since the effect of the downshift on the rear axle's traction and suspensions is minimal.

While there are 7 gears, in practice its only really 6 since seventh gear is really an overdrive that engages in normal mode at around 80kmh for better mileage. Driving around in normal D mode the car behaves like a large sedan, it purrs at 1600RPMs but when you step on the throttle and activate the kickdown, it will drop 4 gears in a blink of an eye without any fuss. Accelerating through the gears it's so smooth that you don't get the feeling that you are in a sportcar. You need to hit the "Sport" button in order to feel the, in this case artificial, kick of the upshift.

This car was equipped with the Sport Chrono Pack which gives us amongst other things the "Sport" button, but it also has the "Sport Plus" option button. This "Sport plus" in my opinion is absolutely a must when getting the PDK because it allows you to engage a mode of the PDK that will make the 911 really behave like a sportcar when shifting. In "normal" mode the behavior of the PDK is perfect for city driving because of its smoothness and comfort but it's the opposite of what we look for when "enjoying" a sportcar as opposed to a "driving" a luxury sedan.

There is one thing in particular that really bothered me about the PDK and its the fact that when you are in manual mode, if you maintain constant throttle for a few seconds for any reason, the PDK will automatically override manual mode, upshift to a longer gear and put you back in auto mode. It will not hold the gear you want in manual mode. Even when doing 2500RPM, in normal manual mode it will revert back to auto and will upshift into a longer gear, and depending on the RPMs maybe two or three gears. It do not find the logic for this and really takes away from the experience. In "Sport" mode it will also do the same, only that it will hold the gear for longer and will hold you at a bit higher RPMs with the gear it selected to upshift to.

For it in order to hold the desired gear in manual mode you will have to select manual not through the buttons on the steering but rather through the PDK's stick. Even though the manual mode light in the instrument panel will light up just the same either way you activate manual, its not the same. If you activate it through the buttons, its only a temporary manual mode, but if you do it through the stick its a permanent manual like the Tipronic. A small detail thats a very important one. This I found out after I had tested the car, and thanks to fellow forum member ray911's comments.

And then there is "Sport Plus" mode. This mode is a complete different story and this is why I say that PDK without Sport Plus option is like a powerful sportcar with drum brakes. In this mode not only does it not automatically upshift to a longer gear whilst in temp-manual spoiling your fun, and you can hold whatever gear you want indefinitely, but also the opposite happens. When you are in a gear it deems it to high for what you are doing, it will automatically downshift it for you in preparation if you do not do it soon enough yourself. And while some of you may think that this will interfere with your manual operation of the PDK, it doesn't. It's so brilliantly worked out that this automatism actually works great. It's the only sequential I can think of, were auto mode works better than manual mode. But this is only in Sport Plus mode. In this mode this mode the PDK behaves completely different and the overall experience while driving is completely different as well, it's no more a sedan but rather as close as it can get to as fun as driving a manual.

There is one downside in this mode and it's that while for track this is excellent, for spirited street driving it can sometimes be a bit bothersome since in the public open roads there are times when you want to hold a longer gear, and not be at the top of the rev range for a little while because there is now a car in front you can't overtake or other circumstances. But for me this mode is 50%f of the value of the PDK.

In general I would use a combination of Normal and Sport mode in the city and a combination of Sport and SportPlus outside the city depending on the road and traffic. To give you an idea of the intentions of each mode in auto, at constant speeds in Normal mode, PDK will hold the revs in between 1000RPM and 2000RPM (that's how comfort oriented it is). In Sport mode it will hold them between 2000RPM and 3000RPM, and in Sport Plus between 3000RPM and 4000RPM.
    Then there is the Launch control gadget. It automatically governs the revs, torque and traction so that the launch from a standstill is as efficient and clean as possible. In this case there are no combinations of buttons to be pressed in order to engage it, no warranty voids if done to many times, etc., in the best Porsche fashion its easy, reliable and effective. All you have to do is hold the brake down, press on the throttle, the revs climb to a predetermined point, you release the brake and off you go lurching ahead through the gears. That's it, without any fuss, any transmission noises, any tire screeching or tail waving. And like I mentioned above you could swear this car had significantly more power the way it performs at it.

Launch Control video

Then how does the PDK sequential compare to the torque converter Tiptronic? Well, simply it doesn't. It's like comparing a rear live axle suspension with a double wishbone. With the PDK gone is the elastic feel of the throttle in the Tip typical of the torque converters, gone is the performance loss, and increased is the comfort and versatility. It does everything the Tip does but better and with no performance loss to the manual. The PDK is smoother and more comfortable, it's more efficient and versatile, and it outperforms it in performance.

And now we go with the steering button's controversy. The buttons are integrated to the steering wheel just like the Tip's, right in the area that one uses to turn and steer the wheel most of the time, and therefore it's easy to accidentally activate them by mistake, especially when needing to induce lots of lock very quickly while driving and when maneuvering. And it's that these are even easier to hit that the Tip buttons because these are larger and also wrap around to the back of the wheel so they are not only exposed to your palms but also your finger tips when grabbing. They would be much better off in paddles fixed to the steering column behind the wheel like all other sequentials for a reason. Why they did this I don't know but I would think they will change it in the future, I can't imagine a GT3 with the buttons on the wheel.

There is another complaint in that the buttons are arranged in a way that is very un-natural to activate since you have to pull towards you to downshift and push forward to upshift and people get confused and make mistakes. But in reality I have found that this is only in the initial impression and after a day with it your brain will adapt and will do it by second nature, so it's not really a problem if you own the car and not just doing a initial test drive. For me it is much worse that the buttons are integrated into the steering wheel, and in a Cayenne's Tiptronic you could maybe let it by, but especially not in an automatic tranny that is meant for performance driving as well and in a 911. Also the steering wheel gets to thick and voluminous around the area of the buttons so that it does not allow for a comfortable and firm grip sometimes.

But except for these details, the PDK is the best automatic transmission I have ever tried. It's incredibly efficient changing gears for both a practical comfort oriented use as for a performance point of view. But here comes the "but"... in the end it's not a substitute for the manual, it's the substitute for the Tiptronic with a wider range of potential users.

With the PDK the shifting is so seamingless and efficient that part of the experience and sensations of the driving experience is removed. It's an irony but you feel less that you are in a sportcar because it's so good at what it does, only with the SportPlus mode can you regain some of that but still, there is the issue that no automatic tranny can ever resolve because of its very nature that it makes it an automatic; there is no manually operated clutch and stick. For many drivers (me being one of them) this is an important part of the driving experience and without this you lack involvement and driving becomes more unidimentional. And since we are talking about sportcars were its principal attraction is not sheer performance (there are sedans with twice the horsepower for example) but rather the sensations behind the steering wheel, an automatic no matter how good it is can't be a substitute for a manual on a 911. On the other hand, there are drivers who don't enjoy manually shifting that much and now don't have to settle for a 5-speed torque converter and can now enjoy the best automatic available, and have both the comfort and the performance too.

Hope you have enjoyed it

- Carlos
    Rennteam.com

Re: RoadTest impressions: Porsche 997S Mk-II w/ PDK

Great write-up Carlos. Lot's of interesting details I haven't heard in other articles. Thanks.

Re: RoadTest impressions: Porsche 997S Mk-II w/ PD

thanks for the review. I would add that while the rear lights (in spite of being LED) do not improve on the original design, the rear diffuser/valance does.

also, here in the States the PDK is being marketed as a "manumatic" rather than an automatic. I would agree that PDK is a substitute for Tip and in no way replaces the elemental appeal of the 6sp manual, but 997.2 drivers in areas of heavy traffic congestion will benefit from PDK.

Hey Carlos. you have been busy! Great report!

I've just dipped into it so far and watched the Launch Control video but I'm looking forward to reading through it thoroughly.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to prepare such a comprehensive report.

Excellent write up Carlos .

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hope you have enjoyed it

Very, very much, Carlos, in fact this is the perfect write-up.

PDK as substitute for tiptronic - as I (and Kreso BTW ) always said.

Thanks very much, I'm looking forward to my test drive weekend in September even more now.

Well done! Hopefully you will get a chance to test drive the California GT and gives us a comprehensive review before I decide buy one. It may change my mind. BTW, based on your description of the PDK, it sounds very different from the F1.

Is the "new" 997 worth buying if you already have a 997? Will you turn in your 997 for a new one?

Thanks Carlos, very useful.

I'm very glad you guys liked it and found it useful

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Well done! Hopefully you will get a chance to test drive the California GT and gives us a comprehensive review before I decide buy one. It may change my mind. BTW, based on your description of the PDK, it sounds very different from the F1.

Is the "new" 997 worth buying if you already have a 997? Will you turn in your 997 for a new one?

California? I don't think I will get that chance so I'm hoping you will write that one up for the rest of us

As to switching from the 997.1 to the 997.2 that depends, in my case no because I already have the best suspension setup have ever tested on a carerra, the 997.1-20mm (I have yet to test the -20mm SPASM of the 997.2 but heard contradictory reports about nervousness over bumps that I do not experinece on mine) and I won't benefit from the PDK since I prefer manual, so just for the interior details and 30 HP bump its not worth it for me, and I would loose the -20mm I have now.
    But for thoose that have Tips, definately, for those that have manuals but would like to try a secuentail, yes. For those in US that want a sportier setup than their 997.1 PASM yes because they can now get the SPASM. But for those that want manuals and are happy with their PASM then I wouldn't.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hope you have enjoyed it

Very, very much, Carlos, in fact this is the perfect write-up.

PDK as substitute for tiptronic - as I (and Kreso BTW ) always said.

Thanks very much, I'm looking forward to my test drive weekend in September even more now.

Indeed... We both(with Carlos now there are three of us, ups, I forgot that RC basically said the same, so four uf us) claimed right from the start that PDK is aimed to the TIP costumers. In fact it is even designed that way-to be the best auto transmission in the world.

Just, IMHO it is not any better then excellent automatic transmission in Audi RS6 or Jaguar XKR. Little bit faster but, overall not any better in feel(even in Sport Plus mode).

So, there is a final question manual or PDK?

I can not answer since while PDK is excellent the fact that it works very best in D modes is maybe good(or bad?)?

Final observation from me-PDK in its current state will be perfect choice for 997.2 Turbo! 500ps/660Nm(NO stupid boost any more!) DFI engine with LSD and PDK-that's it. Ultimate sportscar/GT hybrid!

Carlos-excellent review!

Quote:
    fxhomie said:
    thanks for the review. I would add that while the rear lights (in spite of being LED) do not improve on the original design, the rear diffuser/valance does.

also, here in the States the PDK is being marketed as a "manumatic" rather than an automatic. I would agree that PDK is a substitute for Tip and in no way replaces the elemental appeal of the 6sp manual, but 997.2 drivers in areas of heavy traffic congestion will benefit from PDK.

About the rear valance, I concur. I didn't mention that but its true, that part I do like, though unfortunately its eclipsed by those erear lights.

As to drivers in hard congested areas issue, I also agree, there are drivers who would like a manual but because they drive most of the time in heavy traffic to the point that an auto is more appealing overall, the PDK option is a blessing now.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    So, there is a final question manual or PDK?

I can not answer since while PDK is excellent the fact that it works very best in D modes is maybe good(or bad?)?

I agree, there are two ironies, one is that its so efficient at changing gears that part of the sportcar sensations are gone, the other precicely what you mention, is that it works so well in "Auto" mode that there is no real point in "manual" mode, and if there is no real point in manual mode then you are left with even less involving experience.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Final observation from me-PDK in its current state will be perfect choice for 997.2 Turbo! 500ps/660Nm(NO stupid boost any more!) DFI engine with LSD and PDK-that's it. Ultimate sportscar/GT hybrid!

Now that would be something to look foward to!

Nice write up, thanks. Sums up nicely all the chatter around with your own impressions.

Fantastic...Congrat

Great write up - thank-you.

Thank you very much. In particular, the part on the PDK is most insightful

Thanks a lot for the write up! very good!

I agree with you about the need for the Sport Chrono Plus option if you order PDK.

The fact that it is an optional extra that you have to pay for, equals a robbery on the part of Porsche.

I join the others in thanking you for a great review Carlos. The launch control video is impressive.

Regarding the rear styling: it seems to me that the lights were changed for 3 main reasons: (1) for the sake of change (2) to permit the rear red reflector & (3) to match the similar change to the tail lights of the facelifted Cayenne, which also have an angle cut out of them on the lower inside corner.

While I have always considered myself a manual transmission kind of guy, I must admit that I find this PDK tempting. The idea of the constant precision seems so appealing, even if I'm not the one creating it.

Carlos another fantastic report!

I enjoy your efforts very much and respect your insights.

cheers

Thanks very much for that very informative report and taking the trouble writing it.

I will have a chance to test the PDK for myself next week. However, I am also in the change-the-gears-manual-camp. It'll have a hard time convincing me...

Thanks for the write up!

Thanks Carlos
    I had more or less the same conclusions as you when I did my test.
    I am a 'manuel' driver and have always been in that ' camp'. The daily use of my car in heavy trafic and city driving has pushed me to take the jump, and go for PDK, knowing sports mode plus is the one I like... We will see if I end up convinced after a few month or if I will regret the stick and the clutch

Carlos,great review!Excellent!

EXCELLENT !! Thank you.

Many thanks Carlos for the very comprehensive review.

Saves me the time to test the PDK myself....I always knew it wouldn't drag me away from a manual.

BTW - have you tested the FL manual? That would also be interesting.

Thank you all for your nice words and I'm very glad it was an interesting read

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Regarding the rear styling: it seems to me that the lights were changed for 3 main reasons: (1) for the sake of change (2) to permit the rear red reflector & (3) to match the similar change to the tail lights of the facelifted Cayenne, which also have an angle cut out of them on the lower inside corner.

While I have always considered myself a manual transmission kind of guy, I must admit that I find this PDK tempting. The idea of the constant precision seems so appealing, even if I'm not the one creating it.

If you like precision, this is it

Hadn't thought about the Cayenne FL rear lights it does look like a similar change now that you mention it, but in the 997S it does not work at all

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Thanks Carlos
    I had more or less the same conclusions as you when I did my test.
    I am a 'manuel' driver and have always been in that ' camp'. The daily use of my car in heavy trafic and city driving has pushed me to take the jump, and go for PDK, knowing sports mode plus is the one I like... We will see if I end up convinced after a few month or if I will regret the stick and the clutch

Hi Gnil, in that scenario then the PDK is perfect IMO:)
    I imagin you may preffer a manual every once in a while that you hit the open road or track but the daily use in heavy traffic and city can outweight that. I don't think you will regret it, maybe on a few ocasions but most of the time you wont IMO.

Quote:
    John H said:
    BTW - have you tested the FL manual? That would also be interesting.

Indeed, I will like to see it the engine feels the same with manual, also the throttle response and sport button. I will eventually get my hands on one I would think, and will report back

Carlos

Fianlly a review from someone that knows what we 911 owners really want to understand about the facelift. Thanks Carlos.

I agree with you on the tail lights, I prefer the 997.1 design. I see the the LED diffusers a lot these days particularly on the Audi's. I gotta say I dont really like the "bling" look they bring. I like more of a subtle approach in design.

I guess after reading all the opinions on the new transmission, my uptake is go with the Auto for continuous traffic driving otherwise stay with the manual gearbox.

The new direct injection motor really sounds like its has the goods!

The one thing that really is exciting for me is just how good the 998 will be!

Thank's Carlos for your fantastic report!
    I sold my manual 997 S with - 20 and LSD two months ago
    and my new 997 S pdk sport chrono, pasm - 20 etc. is arriving!
    My pdk choice is the "city daily use".....

I hope that i do the right choice!!.....I'm sure!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776715 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441517 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260817 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85086 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5497 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880525 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815657 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM