Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Autocar: The GTR rules

Quote:
    reginos said:

The GT-Rs and the R8s are the only real Porsche competitors and in certain areas of evaluation they are the better cars. They come from reputable, solid manufacturers but they are limited production halo models. They are good for Porsche because they raise the bar but on the other hand because they are produced in small numbers they don't hurt sales.

i agree, my thoughs as well.

Quote:
    phelipcopter said:
    It is true that GTR is a faster car from A to B and will win on a race track but Porsche is still a better car.

A G-shock costing $100 will offer more functions and accurancy that not even a $200,000 Patek can match. Is Patek an inferior watch? You must be kidding. Patek is an mechanical marvel and so is Porsche.

When you drive a Porsche, you are driving a machine that has evolved over 40 years. And they improve with each generation. Hitler believed car should be pushed from behind and 911 was borned with this engineering problem - tail happy and small engine bay.

911 is in a clas of its own and while we can compare it to anything, one has to bear in mind its history, evolution and relentless pursuit of excellence. Just like Patek which continues to shock the horological world with its latest innovation.

I firmly believe that Porsche has the engineering prowness to develop a new car that blow the competition away but commerical considerations dictate otherwise.

I find the jounalists a bit simple-minded. If they dislike the pdk buttons... why dont they get a manual transmission or compare to R8 R-tronic. What so special about R8 - just an old RS4 engine put in the middle.

I prefer Patek over G-shock anytime of the day and any day of the year.

During a recent GTR driving day i had the chance to take the car around silverstone under a number of different conditions. Part of the day included tuition from a number of professional drivers. To a man each preferred the balance of the GTR and were extremely complimentary on its handling capabilities. I have ordered a GTR on the basis that i will also keep my 911S. After spending a day with the Nissan i am no longer sure. Its very quick whilst it handles like nothing else i have driven. I have had four 911 on the bounce and a staunch supporter of the brand. But right now the GTR has completely moved the goal posts. And its Pounds30K cheaper. I never thought that i would say this, but perhaps the Germans no longer have the monopoly on automotive engineers. Like it or not, the GTR is a car that deserves respect. Its a car that does not deserve to be judged on looks or brand prejudice. If you get the chance to drive one take it. Do i still love my 911? oh yes. But its no longer a car without equals.

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    phelipcopter said:
    It is true that GTR is a faster car from A to B and will win on a race track but Porsche is still a better car.

A G-shock costing $100 will offer more functions and accurancy that not even a $200,000 Patek can match. Is Patek an inferior watch? You must be kidding. Patek is an mechanical marvel and so is Porsche.

When you drive a Porsche, you are driving a machine that has evolved over 40 years. And they improve with each generation. Hitler believed car should be pushed from behind and 911 was borned with this engineering problem - tail happy and small engine bay.

911 is in a clas of its own and while we can compare it to anything, one has to bear in mind its history, evolution and relentless pursuit of excellence. Just like Patek which continues to shock the horological world with its latest innovation.

I firmly believe that Porsche has the engineering prowness to develop a new car that blow the competition away but commerical considerations dictate otherwise.

I find the jounalists a bit simple-minded. If they dislike the pdk buttons... why dont they get a manual transmission or compare to R8 R-tronic. What so special about R8 - just an old RS4 engine put in the middle.

I prefer Patek over G-shock anytime of the day and any day of the year.

LOL, but Porsche is not even the Patek of the automotive world. Ferrari, Lamborghini and aston martin are much more desirable a brand.

It's funny, before the GT-R, the same Casion vs Patek/Rolex argument had been used so many times before for Ferrari/Lambo vs Porsche debate, in which Ferrari/Lambo is the Patek and Porsche is the Casio (very precisely engineneered). If Porsche is as desirable as Ferrari/Lambo, we will not see anyone buying 430s or LP560s because for a fraction of the price they can get a Porsche Turbo, be it the 2-door or the truck. (more true in the US where Porsches are cheaper).

I find this Casio vs Patek argument weak. If the GT-R is Casio, Ferrari would be the Rolex of the automotive world. Lambo/aston would be Panerai/Patek.

LOL, let's just stick to cars. analogy to other things is not a very strong argument as they're not even apples to oranges. No one is racing Casio vs Patek because none will show time faster than the other but people are racing GT-R vs other cars.

All I can say is before buying my Boxster, I also test drove the Miata and S2000. There was something special about the Boxster. Miata and S2000 were similar, but the Boxster was different and special.

I've used the watches argument myself:

Ferrari = gold diamond encrusted Rolex watch (nice, but vulgar)
    Lamborghini = Patek (nice, and classy)
    Porsche = Omega (nice, classy, more affordable, just as nice as Rolex and Patek (certified Swiss made chronometer just like Rolex and Patek), albeit less exclusive)

The GT-R is allegedly some 20secs faster than the new 997 S PDK on the NBR. That is 20 secs on a 14 mile lap.

Maybe a lot in racing terms but not enough for the average driver or journalist for that matter, to make a palpable difference during his test drive .

So how all these people who have driven the GT-R in isolation on a normal test drive, even on a short track, rave about its phenomenal,out-of-this-world speed?

I suspect that the Nissan publicity people have very cleverly created a "legend" already and mere mortals are ashamed to say that they were not capable of realising its enormous speed!

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    All I can say is before buying my Boxster, I also test drove the Miata and S2000. There was something special about the Boxster. Miata and S2000 were similar, but the Boxster was different and special.

I've used the watches argument myself:

Ferrari = gold diamond encrusted Rolex watch (nice, but vulgar)
    Lamborghini = Patek (nice, and classy)
    Porsche = Omega (nice, classy, more affordable, just as nice as Rolex and Patek (certified Swiss made chronometer just like Rolex and Patek), albeit less exclusive)

Ferrari aren't robust enough to be a Rolex equivalent. I must be a mixed up guy because I drive a Boxster and wear a Rolex... I'd have thought Rolex or Omega were more of a horological Porsche, tough and practical. The GTR would be a diamond encrusted Seiko, more accurate but nothing special.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd agree whole heartedly about the special Porsche feel, having owned an S2000 thinking it was a cheaper Boxster - it wasn't even close. Other than arse-on-fire mode it just felt like a Civic. And I suspect the GTR would be the same.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    The GT-R is allegedly some 20secs faster than the new 997 S PDK on the NBR. That is 20 secs on a 14 mile lap.

Maybe a lot in racing terms but not enough for the average driver or journalist for that matter, to make a palpable difference during his test drive .

20 seconds is an eternity in racing terms and very significant and noticable for a good driver on the street. I'd agree with you if the laptime difference was 5 sec on 14 mile track, but not 20 seconds...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

20 seconds is an eternity in racing terms and very significant and noticable for a good driver on the street. I'd agree with you if the laptime difference was 5 sec on 14 mile track, but not 20 seconds...

20 seconds +/- at cruising speed on NoS is not that much, 20 seconds +/- at the limit is very noticeable.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

20 seconds +/- at cruising speed on NoS is not that much, 20 seconds +/- at the limit is very noticeable.

Exactly! How many of these people (journalists and others) that are so thrilled by the speed of the GT-R during their test drives can drive for 14 miles at the limit in order to realise this difference?

Moreover, all these test drives and driving impressions are on public roads where it is difficult to measure time and where the differences would be even less readily perceptible.

There is no end to hype!

It's not surprising considering the time the Stig got with the GT-R on Top Gear. Its cornering abilities are simply phenomenal, this car does not lose time on corners like its competitors. The more corners a track has, the faster the GT-R will lap it. It eats corners for breakfast.

Quote:
    reginos said:Exactly! How many of these people (journalists and others) that are so thrilled by the speed of the GT-R during their test drives can drive for 14 miles at the limit in order to realise this difference?

The point is NOT that a journalist is going to drive the ring in 7 and a half minutes. The point is that a 20 sec. advantage on the Ring implies a MUCH higher performance level on real world streets (NBR is the most street-like of tracks).

Of course only a small percentage of drivers can extract the maximum performance from ANY car, let alone a high performance sportscar. Does that mean we should all drive Fiat Panda's because we're not worthy?

If we are to use your logic, there is not really any point in buying a GT3 instead of a Carrera S or a Carrera S instead of a Carrera (or Boxster or something else slower). All of these cars can drive the NBR in under 8 and a half minutes and since very few of us mortals could lap the Ring in under 8 and a half minutes in any of these cars, what's the point of having a faster car?

Give the GT-R its due - it's a very fast car with higher performance than a Carrera or R8 for less money. Does that mean I want one? Not necessarily, but I would never try to diminish the level of its performance and try to say it's irrelevant or immaterial...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:Exactly! How many of these people (journalists and others) that are so thrilled by the speed of the GT-R during their test drives can drive for 14 miles at the limit in order to realise this difference?

The point is NOT that a journalist is going to drive the ring in 7 and a half minutes. The point is that a 20 sec. advantage on the Ring implies a MUCH higher performance level on real world streets (NBR is the most street-like of tracks).

Of course only a small percentage of drivers can extract the maximum performance from ANY car, let alone a high performance sportscar. Does that mean we should all drive Fiat Panda's because we're not worthy?

Give the GT-R its due - it's a very fast car with higher performance than a Carrera or R8 for less money. Does that mean I want one? Not necessarily, but I would never try to diminish the level of its performance and try to say it's irrelevant or immaterial...

What you say makes a lot of sense and I am not diminishing this technologically advanced car especially as it comes from a mass producer. Give credit where it is due!

I am just trying to put the whole thing in perspective and comprehend the GT-R cult and its followers.

Because if on the Nordschleife with top experts at wheel it gains 20secs from a rear wheel drive Porsche with 80% its official power, IMO it is not such an achievement that justifies all this hype and enthusiasm from the average owner/driver and journalist.

For a top expert perhaps 20secs are eternity indeed but not for everyone.

The GT-R has a slight advantage on the road too perhaps, which is disproportional to the eulogies that we read all over the press and the internet.

Quote:
    reginos said:

Under comparable conditions I would expect the GTR to be less than 10s faster than the 997s: the 997s did a 7.50 in the recent SportAuto Supertest, the GTR is likely to achieve a lap time of 7.40 or slightly higher. Looking forward to the GTR Supertest this fall

Markus,

You mean next summer? Since sale of EU GT-R will start in April/May 2009...

AMS already requested GT-R from Nissan Germany. They said first press cars will be delivered in April 2009...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Under comparable conditions I would expect the GTR to be less than 10s faster than the 997s: the 997s did a 7.50 in the recent SportAuto Supertest, the GTR is likely to achieve a lap time of 7.40 or slightly higher. Looking forward to the GTR Supertest this fall

Thanks for adding to my point above

To everyone here, who are comparing the 997TT and the GT-R. If comparing factory times, the 997TT did 7:40. You can't compare Nissan's factory time to the Sport Auto time.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,

You mean next summer? Since sale of EU GT-R will start in April/May 2009...

AMS already requested GT-R from Nissan Germany. They said first press cars will be delivered in April 2009...

Sportauto mentioned that they will publish the Supertest this fall... I hope this is true. If not the wait will be quite long

Quote:
    Crash said:
    To everyone here, who are comparing the 997TT and the GT-R. If comparing factory times, the 997TT did 7:40. You can't compare Nissan's factory time to the Sport Auto time.

That is true

Also: the 997TT FL is due after the summer break next year (500hp + PDK + new PTM setup). The "s" version is supposed to be due in (maybe early) 2010 (520hp+). Seems that Porsche has the adequate answer to the Japanese offer

I saw a GTR in person for the first time yesterday...all I could think was "wow is that car ugly".

It could run the Ring in 5 minutes and I wouldn't buy one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765675 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437426 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261477 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258275 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82807 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877642 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809970 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM