Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

DR: Maser Gran Turismo S

Please tell me you can read this publication.. (if not try and open it with less windows concurrently open, or try viewing it within Safari or Firefox). We are moving across to our new platform next week, but in the meantime I hope you can read (and watch) this latest one. The embedded videos give a rather nice illustration of how good the Gran Turismo has now become.

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=hsrrt&preview=1&_x=1#/page2/

Unfortunately Richard only brought it back to the office for 10 minutes(after driving all the way back from Switzerland) and then promptly delivered it back to Maserati.

I'm not sure I'll ever forgive him for that after seeing what I missed.

Re: DR: Maser Gran Turismo S

Steve, I'm considering unloading my CLK63 AMG Black Series to get a GranTurismo S, assuming you've driven the Black, do you think its a smart move? Not having an opportunity to drive the "S" yet, I can easily guess it will hit all the emotional buttons, looks, sound, great engine and the MC-Shift straight out of the 599, but I know it will be a big letdown powerwise from what I have now and the Black is incredibly fun to drive in the twisties, it feels so much lighter than it really is. Any honest feedback would be appreciated as I'm on the fence. Maybe you can ask Richard too what he thinks on this issue. I don't think I can make a wrong decision here as they are both great, but I'm curious if the power/torque deduction I possibly could be making here will make me regret my decision.

Phil

Phil, I have driven the CLK Black, (that was me in our launch video driving past the camera car with the LP640 on the other side). The CLK Black is a very playful car and I'd describe it a little like my M3 CSL in being quite a playful and deliberately irreverant car to drive.

From what I understand of the Gran Turismo S, it's a more grown up kind of car, but as you probably spotted from the embedded videos, it's very loud and would probably retain some of that 'irreverance' you are familiar with in the CLK Black.

The only question I cannot answer is how much you would notice the drop in performance, although based purely on the power/weight figures I suspect it would be quite a bit slower. I will ask Richard, who has driven them both and see what he thinks.

Thanks Steve for the update. I guess the key thing too is, will it be as fun to drive as the Black. If the GranTurismo S is a car, that even with less power, makes you want to drive it just for the heck of it, than the power might not matter as much. Based on the article, its clearly not as tail happy as the Black, but I'm not a guy that drifts on city streets either; I only do one track event a year. Looking forward to Richard's thoughts.

Thanks,
    Phil

i can read it with opera on a mac. nice roads you guys find.

I'm having trouble viewing it with Safari on Mac, works fine with Firefox though...

Also, could you guys at DR look into the possibility of a printable version of your features, I find myself reading the features sitting from behind my desk as opposed to reading EVO by the pool...

I've tried printing but there's always a part of the text missing because it's right on the edge, or maybe the possibility of saving the features on your harddrive, thus giving people the opportunity to read even when there's no Wireless-network nearby...

Just some ideas on improving DR, keep up the great work...

Great article, i agree with working on the printable version.

PS: i did open it with Safari on my Mac and it worked perfectly.

Printable version will be available from next week, as well as being able to save it for viewing offline and viewing it on your iPhone. It will take us a few months to convert past issues, but our first edition in this new format will be our track test of the new KTM X-Bow.

Quote:
    I love pizza said:
    Thanks Steve for the update. I guess the key thing too is, will it be as fun to drive as the Black. If the GranTurismo S is a car, that even with less power, makes you want to drive it just for the heck of it, than the power might not matter as much. Based on the article, its clearly not as tail happy as the Black, but I'm not a guy that drifts on city streets either; I only do one track event a year. Looking forward to Richard's thoughts.

Thanks,
    Phil

Phil, I asked Richard to put his thoughts down on an email, to save me missing anything out. Here is what he said in answer to your question about whether you would notice the lack of power compared to your CLK Black Series;

"Yes!

Seriously, yes I would think so. The Maser is quick and responsive but it doesn't have the sledgehammer acceleration of the Merc. It feels like it builds to a point where it has hits its stride, rather than hitting it instantly. It feels like a lighter car, even though it isn't. All comes down to cubic inches I guess. That said the Maser is a more successful multi-role, multi-mood car than the Merc."

I hope that helps with your decision.

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Printable version will be available from next week, as well as being able to save it for viewing offline and viewing it on your iPhone. It will take us a few months to convert past issues, but our first edition in this new format will be our track test of the new KTM X-Bow.

That's great news!

I had the regular Non S car for a bit and was not too impressed at its progress - bit slow and heavy for my liking...

Not related but I spent the afternoon in the new Gallardo LP 560 - what a car! I have never been SHOCKED by power! The car literally drags you by the hair when you floor it!!!

We had the LP560-4 on test recently and it was as quick as the 997 GT2, its now a true supercar.

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Quote:
    I love pizza said:

Thanks,
    Phil

Phil, I asked Richard to put his thoughts down on an email, to save me missing anything out. Here is what he said in answer to your question about whether you would notice the lack of power compared to your CLK Black Series;

"Yes!

Seriously, yes I would think so. The Maser is quick and responsive but it doesn't have the sledgehammer acceleration of the Merc. It feels like it builds to a point where it has hits its stride, rather than hitting it instantly. It feels like a lighter car, even though it isn't. All comes down to cubic inches I guess. That said the Maser is a more successful multi-role, multi-mood car than the Merc."

I hope that helps with your decision.

Thanks Steve for doing this. I guess the vibe I'm getting is you both think my Black Series is more of a hardcore sports car, more playful, were has the Granturismo S is more of a hybrid of sorts, a mix of two cars, a luxury car made compently sporty. I think if I go with the GranTurismo S I'll love the sound and gearbox, but the fun factor will be lost in comparison to my Black. I guess if I didn't have a desire for Italian cars so much, I wouldn't even be having this conversation. I think the logical side of me says keep the Black Series as your in for major letdown if you go the other way, but the heart in me says go Italian.

Phil

SteveD, reading it fine now when other windows are closed. One other issue that myself and friends have about DR. The video streaming is incredibly slow. A video like the 15 mins Aston vs 997 vs GTR vs R8 one stopped every 30 secs for buffering. Imagine how long it took to watch the video.

As for CLK Black vs the Messer, they are such different cars! I would keep the Black.

You've outdone yourself this time Steve, well done
    Just look at this picture

This DR website seems to put out some pretty artistic/polished car reviews!

PS: I saw a GT S last night parking in front of a club and I must say I was suprised at its size. Much bigger than it looks in photos.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764402 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436546 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261055 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257980 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82653 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876914 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808979 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM