Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Please Evaluate My Config for 997.2

Hey Folks.

New here. Really been enjoying the passionate community here. I'm about to buy my first Porsche. Here's the config I've built.

2009 C2S Cab
    9Q Meteor Grey Metallic
    V9 Cabriolet roof in Black
    AR Black Leather Seats
    AT Black Full Leather
    810 Floor Mats in Interior Color
    342 Heated Seats
    541 Seat Ventilation
    P15 Power Comfort Seats with Driver Memory
    619 Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone
    635 Park Assist System
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    672 Navigation Module for PCM
    680 BOSE High End Sound Package
    686 XM Radio
    870 Universal Audio Interface
    250 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors
    603 Dynamic Cornering Lights
    022 Instrument Dials in Black

I realize Porsche will love some of the extra options I've bought. I'm used to loaded BMW's so I had to go for the extra gadgets.

My big question is if you think I'm forgetting about any critical option? Or is there something that I should consider that will compliment nicely with the rest of the stuff I'm getting.

Thanks very much!

Re: Please Evaluate My Config for 997.2

looks like a very good spec.

i think it depends on your dealership but if you order minor things like floor mats, then they can't give it to you as a freebie.

I've got the sports seats and am really pleased I did. it's personal taste and I notice you've selected seat ventilation which removes the option on sports seats I think (?).

Perhaps you should park yourself in some different seats and have a drive in them to see which you prefer - it is afterall the part which you will have the longest / greatest physical relationship with.

otherwise you've got the main options covered for a cab.

you will enjoy.

I would add option 220 Limited slip differential $950.

Reginos,

Can you tell me what's the benefit of that option?

Thanks!

dump the PDK, and get a manual, save 4000 bucks and use it to spoil your wife. The reward will be priceless !

I just ordered a C2S with essentially the same colors and options (I didn't get heated/vented seats, bluetooth or parking). I added the Sport Design wheels as I don't like the Italian-influenced S wheels. I know that I'm in the minority as to the S wheels, but I don't think the geometric pentagram design blends well with the classic curves of the 997. I like them on a Ferrari, but not the Carrera. Just my opinion. When is your car scheduled to be built? I'm an Oct build, Nov delivery.

Quote:
    jwalker33 said:
    Reginos,

Can you tell me what's the benefit of that option?

Thanks!

Many people can describe the LSD in different ways but I am copying below from the glossary on the porsche web-site:

Specific characteristics:
    A mechanically locking rear differential is standard in the 911 all-wheel drive variants and is available as an option for all other 911 models in conjunction with 19-inch wheels. It further enhances traction at the driven rear axle on uneven roads and when accelerating out of tight bends. This is accomplished by the damping of load-change reactions during fast cornering.

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:
    dump the PDK, and get a manual, save 4000 bucks and use it to spoil your wife. The reward will be priceless !

Try the PDK if you have doubts.

If you are an "auto person" you will like immensely.

If you are a "stick person" like myself most probably you will be converted.

i tested it yesterday and i was horrified

the car was driving me, not me driving the car ! that was the feeling i got.

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:

OK it is not for you then. You've just saved yourself Euro 3.500

Personally, I would not want to pay extra to make the instrument dials look like the ones in a 997 non-s. I'd drop Instrument Dials in Black and add leather sunvisors which look great in a cab, and really improve the top-down appearance and would compliment the full leather interior. The standard visors that you would get look like they belong in a Hyundai.

I would consider:

Crests Headrests
    Model Designation Console Compartment Lid.
    Leather Visors (Considering that you are getting a Cab.)
    Sport Adaptive Seats
    And, most certainly LSD.

Thanks folks. I'll definitely add the leather visors and consider the LSD.

Given the full leather I'm getting, do you think I'll also want the leather steering wheel? I see the option for the one with "Smooth leather." Will the Full leather include the steering wheel too and is the option for Smooth Leather Wheel something different?

What about sport exhaust?

Quote:
    jwalker33 said:
    Thanks folks. Given the full leather I'm getting, do you think I'll also want the leather steering wheel? I see the option for the one with "Smooth leather." Will the Full leather include the steering wheel too and is the option for Smooth Leather Wheel something different?

I discovered when I placed my order that the only steering wheels options available with PDK are the "new" sport wheel (which is standard) or the multifunction wheel. I thought that the multifunction wheel, with all of its function buttons and the PDK puddles, was just too busy.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    What about sport exhaust?

available 02/09

Drop the Bose - extra weight for no effect, especially in a convertible. I would drop XM too.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Drop the Bose - extra weight for no effect, especially in a convertible. I would drop XM too.

I respectfully disagree. If you are going to listen to music in a cab, especially with the top open, you need all the help you can get. In the olden (pre-MOST) days it would have made sense to get the base sound system (or no system at all) and install a high quality aftermarket setup, but that's really not practical anymore with the electronics integration in these cars.

I have the Bose in my cab and love the fact that I have it, despite it's well understood flaws. The weight differnce is insignificant. The sound is far better than the base system.

The Bose isn't "superb"... But the standard sound is the pits... Life's too short to order a $100K car with Kia tunes... The weight is inconsequential...

Buying a convertible and then sweating minor pounds in itself is like eating a Big Mac and jumbo fries and apple pie, and washing them down with a diet coke

And I call "shananigans" to anybody with over 20% body-fat who nit-picks weight added by minor-heft option...

It's a nice spec - I would have the sports seat over the normal seat with ventilation, but you are in humid NY??

You should get the LSD and I have combined with the -20mm SPASM. In basic terms the LSD will remove power from a wheel when it is rotating at a different speed to the other driven wheel - this has the effect of balancing power delivery resulting in smoother cornering and faster exit speeds, ie, actually allowing more power down most of the time. Unlike all the electronic magic it is mechanical.

The easiest way to think of a diff lock is to consider a 4x4 - if on rough ground one wheel lifts the last thing you want is the wheel being driven round at full power as if you do when it reconnects with the land too much instant power comes from one corner of the car and you loose grip - On a sports car think of this in relation to small batches of uneven surface on the tarmac.

Agree re the weight - option what you want - and order milkshake with you Big Mac meal - Yum!!

Yeah, I have to disagree on dropping the Bose thing too. Granted, Bose is far from the best, but it is far better than what comes as standard. And, how much weight are we talking? Certainly not enough to affect any performance aspect of the car. The very few options that NADA residuals are based on, are Bose, Nav., Power Seats and the obvious things like cond. and mileage. Residuals aside, Bose is worth it, albiet a typically high priced Porsche option.

Yes, Sport Exhaust is a must have, but you will have to have it retro-fitted.

Quote:
    mex99 said:
    It's a nice spec - I would have the sports seat over the normal seat with ventilation, but you are in humid NY??

You should get the LSD and I have combined with the -20mm SPASM. In basic terms the LSD will remove power from a wheel when it is rotating at a different speed to the other driven wheel - this has the effect of balancing power delivery resulting in smoother cornering and faster exit speeds, ie, actually allowing more power down most of the time. Unlike all the electronic magic it is mechanical.

The easiest way to think of a diff lock is to consider a 4x4 - if on rough ground one wheel lifts the last thing you want is the wheel being driven round at full power as if you do when it reconnects with the land too much instant power comes from one corner of the car and you loose grip - On a sports car think of this in relation to small batches of uneven surface on the tarmac.

Agree re the weight - option what you want - and order milkshake with you Big Mac meal - Yum!!

You can't get the 20mm drop with the Cab.

Quote:
    dr.j said:
    Personally, I would not want to pay extra to make the instrument dials look like the ones in a 997 non-s.

You don't need to, it's a no-cost option I have black dials on my 997S, too. White/silver dials just don't do it for me.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    The Bose isn't "superb"... But the standard sound is the pits... Life's too short to order a $100K car with Kia tunes... The weight is inconsequential...

Well, the base audio system cannot be as bad as a Kraco installed on a Ford Fiesta. Each option, no matter how expensive the car is, should be weight independently on its merits and cost. For me, the Bose solution cannot possibly justify the cost for it, over the stock system. For others, it may. I'd rather put that money into a different option I will see more benefit from, or spend it on something entirely different, like a new LCD HD tv for the bedroom, where I'll get much more benefit form the dollars spent, than upgrading the stock 911 audio system.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Buying a convertible and then sweating minor pounds in itself is like eating a Big Mac and jumbo fries and apple pie, and washing them down with a diet coke

And I call "shananigans" to anybody with over 20% body-fat who nit-picks weight added by minor-heft option...

Thats too much of a slippery slope falacy. Even if someone has 90% body fat, adding an extra 10 pounds in addition to the driver is still adding an additional 10 pounds to the car. Sure, you are handicapped in races against other drivers, but if you are only racing against the clock to improve your own times, the 10 pounds of 'accessory' may matter.

I say that, being too wide in the shoulders to comfortably fit in the sports seats with their prominent shoulder bolsters.

Quote:
    987_Belgium said:

Why an other nickname here? Makes it difficult 987_belgium!

Quote:
    ewi said:
    Quote:
    dr.j said:
    Personally, I would not want to pay extra to make the instrument dials look like the ones in a 997 non-s.

You don't need to, it's a no-cost option I have black dials on my 997S, too. White/silver dials just don't do it for me.

Did not know that, I've never gone black so I guess I don't know what I'm missing!

Sport seats are nice, but I'm not a giant at 6'1" and find them a bit uncomfortable, I don't think you can go wrong with standard seats in full leather.

OK folks. This has been really helpful. Here are the changes since I posted the original config this morning:

1) Dropped 022 Instrument Dials in Black - I went to the dealer and started to like the contrast it provides again. And besides, the next guy might not like that the S looks like a non-S to him.

2) Added LSD. Thanks for the tip on that one.

3) Considered leather visors. Here's the issue with that though. I found out in the USA that they still get the DOT warning on them. So it's a bit of a waste to pay for them and still get the ugly warning on them. So, if I decide to get those, I hear I can get those imported directly from the UK without the sticker.

4) Added Multifunction Steering Wheel. I'm a gadget geek so I like the controls on the wheel even if it is a bit cluttered looking.

Now, here's the big question. I still want the Meteor Grey exterior. But I'm thinking about (after a conversation with the dealer today) of getting the full leather interior in Special Cocoa Leather.

So here are my next questions:

1) Has anybody seen this Meteor Gray / Cocoa color combo?
    2) Any pics of Special Cocoa Leather here on this forum or elsewhere online? The dealer didn't have any cars with it and the configurator doesn't give a good view for me.
    3) Anything else I'm not considering with my revised config?

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Quote:
    987_Belgium said:

Why an other nickname here? Makes it difficult 987_belgium!

speedman was taken

Quote:
    jwalker33 said:
    OK folks. This has been really helpful. Here are the changes since I posted the original config this morning:

1) Dropped 022 Instrument Dials in Black - I went to the dealer and started to like the contrast it provides again. And besides, the next guy might not like that the S looks like a non-S to him.

2) Added LSD. Thanks for the tip on that one.

3) Considered leather visors. Here's the issue with that though. I found out in the USA that they still get the DOT warning on them. So it's a bit of a waste to pay for them and still get the ugly warning on them. So, if I decide to get those, I hear I can get those imported directly from the UK without the sticker.

4) Added Multifunction Steering Wheel. I'm a gadget geek so I like the controls on the wheel even if it is a bit cluttered looking.

Now, here's the big question. I still want the Meteor Grey exterior. But I'm thinking about (after a conversation with the dealer today) of getting the full leather interior in Special Cocoa Leather.

So here are my next questions:

1) Has anybody seen this Meteor Gray / Cocoa color combo?
    2) Any pics of Special Cocoa Leather here on this forum or elsewhere online? The dealer didn't have any cars with it and the configurator doesn't give a good view for me.
    3) Anything else I'm not considering with my revised config?

good decision in the pdk, too bad your missing out on the manual...

pictures i found of meteor and cocoa.

I don't like cocoa, it's too dark brown and it makes a car look like a grandpa's car. I think it doesn't give a fresh look to the car. But that's only my opinion. please feel free to do what you want. Have you seen cocoa for real? also not in the sun etc ?

Quote:
    Minok said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Well, the base audio system cannot be as bad as a Kraco installed on a Ford Fiesta. Each option, no matter how expensive the car is, should be weight independently on its merits and cost. For me, the Bose solution cannot possibly justify the cost for it, over the stock system. For others, it may. I'd rather put that money into a different option I will see more benefit from, or spend it on something entirely different, like a new LCD HD tv for the bedroom, where I'll get much more benefit form the dollars spent, than upgrading the stock 911 audio system.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Thats too much of a slippery slope falacy. Even if someone has 90% body fat, adding an extra 10 pounds in addition to the driver is still adding an additional 10 pounds to the car. Sure, you are handicapped in races against other drivers, but if you are only racing against the clock to improve your own times, the 10 pounds of 'accessory' may matter.

Your answer is spot on. It's kind of funny that on this forum when someone asks for opinions and someone replies with a less than middle-of-the-road (pile-up the gadgets) answer, the usual crowd comes up and devalues it. I have news for them - if someone treats himself with a Big Mac, there's no rime or reason to gorge himself with a fat milkshake.

AFAIC I care less that anyone goes out and gets a great sports car and then fattens it up with useless gadgets. It's sad but hey, it's their car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778196 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442063 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262960 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261225 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85484 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5708 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880882 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816529 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM