Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I saw a Ferrari Crash at 180km/h!

As some of you know, I have been getting into my car racing. I need to get my full national racing license by the end of the year to be able to compete at Bathurst early next year. Part of that is doing a day of flag marschalling at an event. So I picked the Shannons National Championships at Phillip Island on Sat.

I was at flag point 1.2 on the first bend. This point is just slightly around turn one. Turn one at Phiilip Island is at the end of the straight and goes right. In some cars it is over 200km/h....and requires huge commitment.

Anyway, during the qualifying session, one of the lotus cars (car 99 - a Lotus Elise Motorsport 200) seem to have something wrong with its engine, and spun off into the gravel trap. I think he spun on his own oil. But i am not 100% sure. Anyway, the other lotus behind him had spun, but managed to avoid the gravel and kept going. Car 99 was stuck in the gravel....facing back up the straight.

Everyone was waving yellow flags, and an oil flag was just being put out when John Teulan in a Ferarri 430 GT started to spin. He went off the track at about 200km/h and barely slowed down before he hit the Lotus....approx impact speed would have been about 180km/h. The ferarri impacted on its right side (luck it was a left hand drive car) and hit the front end of the lotus. Both cars are write offs (i am assuming). The front end of the lotus was bscially squashed down 2 foot, and the wheels pushed right back into the doors. The Ferarri's right side woudl have gone almost to the driver on the left hand side, and ripped most of the floor out.

We were straight onto the radio, called the session off, and called for medical assistance straight away.

The guy in car 99 - the lotus...amazingly got out (with some assistance) and walked away...into the ambulance. The other guy, Teulan, in the Ferarri had to be lifted out and put in the ambulance. I heard later that the guy in the lotus had internal injuries, and was flown via helicopter back to Melbourne. John Tuelan was taken to hospital for observation.

I havn't heard any more yet, so if anyone has any info...please let me know.

BTW - no photos cause I was too busy...making sure the medical people got there fast.

I am actually amazed how well these cars stood up to the impact! With a 180km/h speed differential it is amazing they both got out of their cars in one piece! I hope they are ok now.

Re: I saw a Ferrari Crash at 180km/h!

Geez John, that would have been a terrible sight. Hope all involve recover quickly. The cars are just material possesions that can be replaced.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Geez John, that would have been a terrible sight. Hope all involve recover quickly. The cars are just material possesions that can be replaced.

I know the Lotus guy, hes fine. Spent the night in hospital but all well. Teulands ferrari and the Lotus are write-offs and Teuland incurred a broken knee.
    JC, theres abit of flack being thrown at the moment at the marshalls regarding not putting a red flag out. Whats your take?

Moment of impact:

good to know that they are both fine.

Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

I know the Lotus guy, hes fine. Spent the night in hospital but all well. Teulands ferrari and the Lotus are write-offs and Teuland incurred a broken knee.
    JC, theres abit of flack being thrown at the moment at the marshalls regarding not putting a red flag out. Whats your take?

Moment of impact:

So glad to hear they are OK.

Small world huh!

Yeah i heard that there was that suggestion re Marshalls that the qualifying session should have been stopped quicker.

My take is that the yellows were put out quick. That should have alerted people that there was something wrong...ie use some caution. But the oil flag at 1.1 could have gone out a bit quicker. (we were actually at 1.1 and it wasn't in our sector). But in fairness to them, it would have been hard to tell straight away...and it did go out quite quick. We are talking a couple of seconds. To physically see the oil, then reach for the flag, and wave it...does take a few seconds. Red flags as i understand, are put out, after confirmation by race control. So it always takes at least 10seconds to get the confirmation. I think it was just a really bad luck scenaro. I feel for the Lotus driver. He spun into the trap, and the car would have been fine (except for what seemed to be flame from the rear of his car). And then to have his car written off being stationary! Very bad luck. Give my well wishes to Peter.

So both cars were write offs. They defently looked like it.
    Will the Peter be able to go racing again?

I think Tuelan has plenty of other race cars? So i am sure he will be out there again.

Lilley's lambo did an engine too that weekend...so it was not a great weekend for the GTs!

Are there any other photos?

No other photos that I have apart from the lead up to the shunt.
    Peter has another Motorsport HPE Elise but as to when his new wife will let him drive again. She was driving the Blue S2 Elise btw so shes into as well.
    Funny thing is Peters a very religious man and as you might of noticed had 'JESUS' on the nose of his car. Seeing as he was hit there and been told if it was anywhere else hed probably be dead, Im sure his faith is even stronger.

Btw, I noticed you wrote that your doing Bathurst 12hr next year. Im also doing it, what are you planning to drive and whome with? Also, if you need any help let me know.

Nick, are you doing Bathurst with your Exige? I think John is doing it in his 944 cup race car. I will come up and watch you two. Need pit crew anyone?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Nick, are you doing Bathurst with your Exige? I think John is doing it in his 944 cup race car. I will come up and watch you two. Need pit crew anyone?

Be good to see you both up there.

I need to find a sponsor, so I can afford grid girls.

But seriously, if anyone wants to sponsor my car, it is fully televised on Channel 7...and if you get the stickers printed within the next 2 weeks, it will be televised at Oran Park too and on for all the rounds at Phillip Island.....and my car is very clean so any sponsorship will stand out!

Don't forget Way....i am 'crazy John'!

Are we talking about the 12hr race?
    Because if we are, Im afraid that you cant enter the 944, its too old and went out of production long ago. I think theres a 4 year ruling for cars which would make it much too old.
    You'll need a current production car that is no older than 4 years and under the $125K showroom sticker price. Like I said, let me know if you need some advice.

Wayne, yep, taking the Exige out for a run. Got TRD and a few others sponsoring with Scotty Bargwanna and John Smith as co-drivers.

Is this the same race that a 335i won 2-3 years back? Maybe I should prep the 135i for this event in 2010.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Is this the same race that a 335i won 2-3 years back? Maybe I should prep the 135i for this event in 2010.

Tis the same. You'll need a quick fill long range tank, full FIA cage, race prepped interior and a shed load of spares and crew.
    Its costing me about as much as an Exige just for the race.
    Still, a 135i will be present and do quite well Id imagine from someone like Morris or Linton. Im going for class outright though not overall.

Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

Tis the same. You'll need a quick fill long range tank, full FIA cage, race prepped interior and a shed load of spares and crew.
    Still, a 135i will be present and do quite well Id imagine from someone like Morris or Linton. Im going for class outright though not overall.

Ie, I need a major sponsor! What is a race prep interior dude? Is that why you and Stephen bought those fancy steering wheel pod thing?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

Ie, I need a major sponsor! What is a race prep interior dude? Is that why you and Stephen bought those fancy steering wheel pod thing?

Quoi?
    High protection seat, 6 point harness, plumbed in Extinguishers, stripped interior, battery cutoff switch inside and out, 2 way radio system, quick release wheel and I went for a Magnetti Marelli DDU dash as fitted to Rara GT3 race cars and Maserati MC12's. GEMS dash did'nt pick up data too well.

Sponsors are only covering transport, accomodation, few set of tyres, fuel and entry. Maybe Noodle King can help....?

That GEMS dash thing is what I was talking about. Noodle King won't be enough. I need Bing Lee to sponsor me dude!

Quote:
    WAY said:
    That GEMS dash thing is what I was talking about. Noodle King won't be enough. I need Bing Lee to sponsor me dude!

Yeah, had problems with the GEMS, sensors did'nt like the pickups so sent it back and had one of these put in. Much easier to fit and actually quite abit easier to read on the fly.

Its pretty expensive for the 12 hr.

Especially when you can do the 24hr Nurenburg event in a Clio Cup car for 75k between three people. Insured!

I reckon in a few years i will have a crack at it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760992 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434535 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260092 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257224 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80796 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871441 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806666 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM