Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Fastest Pikes Peaks climb

Mithras:
    Whoopsy:

I went off only because I had taken an apex too early and my arc took me straight out off the road. The key to doing the hill climb is taking late apexes. Words of wisdom from Jeff Zwart. 

I've always taught that the "apex" of a turn is just the point where you can safely leave the inside of the corner and still not track out off the track at the end. When you're looking at a 1,000' drop on track-out, having a bit more margin is a pretty sound thing to do! Smiley

Congratulations on the whole thing though, looks like it was a really great experience!

The veterans called it the rookie's mistakes. Turning in too early and hugging the mountain side. Smiley

That's actually what gets drivers in trouble.

Turning in late entitled one to seeing most of the corner and where one can go because of the mountain side blocking the view. Also the benefit of longer acceleration to the next corner.

But it's really hard to drive straight towards a cliff and brake late to turn in!

The most dangerous ones are the double apex corners, I believe there are 3 of those, I never got the guts to go that fast as track out to the outside edge and come right back towards the 2nd apex. 

There is one set of corners in the lower section, triple left as they called it, that can be done in one sweep, turn in, hold the angle and foot down. I managed to do it once. Very satisfying. Mind you, there was no cliffs on the outside though Smiley Just empty 'parking space'.

--

Gnil:

people not used to drive on mountain roads do not know how to drive them . Always on brakes , never heard of engine braking . Also fear, makes them do stupid moves .

Still, pushing a race car on the empty road trying to do a time is certainly more dangerous 

At the Ring, at least, we just hit the armco , not the bottom of a valley indecision

Pikes Peak Hill Climb is basically the Ring stretched out and put on the mountain side, around the same length and corner count Smiley

--

Wow, what a great story and good to have you still with us...kiss

Blueflame

Living the dream!

Great story and pics! wink Must be one crazy experience flying up that hill angel Good to hear you are ok kiss

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

people not used to drive on mountain roads do not know how to drive them . Always on brakes , never heard of engine braking . Also fear, makes them do stupid moves .

Still, pushing a race car on the empty road trying to do a time is certainly more dangerous 

At the Ring, at least, we just hit the armco , not the bottom of a valley indecision

Pikes Peak Hill Climb is basically the Ring stretched out and put on the mountain side, around the same length and corner count Smiley

It could become the new benchmark, then we would be discussing more pilot's ball's then tire compound  Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

I'm afraid my balls shrank a bit with age... Smiley 

I am one of those typical late braking type of guys but this only works fine if the road is clean. Had a situation once when I just slid straight shortly before a curve because there was some fine dust on the road (haven't encountered it before, probably from a construction site up the mountain) and even now, I don't know how I saved the situation, it was a mix of luck, spontaneous brake release/play and some steering magic. No fun at all, so I can relate to what happened to Nick. 

I love mountain roads but I have a lot of respect of them. A friend of mine got scared by a bus coming from the other direction after a curve on a mountain road, he almost hit the rock on the right, I think he missed the rock by a centimeter or so, no kidding (I was behind him). Wish we had this on camera...it looked pretty scary.

Nowadays, I still enjoy driving on mountain roads but my head permanently spins up dangerous situations which could occur, so I keep it much slower than in the past. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

That looked like man epic event. Also reminds me how I could not even fanthiom the risks as too many people’s life depend on mine these days...Smiley

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:
    Gnil:

It could become the new benchmark, then we would be discussing more pilot's ball's then tire compound  Smiley

LOL, it will still be tire compound that matters. Temperature drops quite a bit from 9600ft to 14,000ft, so a compound that can retain heat better will do better up top. 

--

Oh one last tidbits, 

Peugeot paid to repave parts of the upper section to make it less bumpy for their record run. It worked.

VW also paid to repave another part of the upper sections to make it less bumpy. It worked also.

--

Whoopsy:

LOL, it will still be tire compound that matters. Temperature drops quite a bit from 9600ft to 14,000ft, so a compound that can retain heat better will do better up top. 

It would make NA motors totally irrelevant - would be all about Turbo and electric power at those altitudes...

In some ways, it already feels that way down here on the flat lands (1 mile or 1,600 meters)

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Whoopsy:

Oh one last tidbits, 

Peugeot paid to repave parts of the upper section to make it less bumpy for their record run. It worked.

VW also paid to repave another part of the upper sections to make it less bumpy. It worked also.

Smiley
    Maybe they could also remove some of the corners and then have the entire mountain removed so the track is a nice straight horizontal strip of asphalt? I bet they could get even faster on that !

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Hey Nick, did you ever make it to the top.yes

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

nberry:

No, due to hail storm in the afternoon my run was cut short. 

I need to qualify faster next year in order to start earlier so as not be affected by weather.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPwuKPyQV8

Rhys Millen has set a new production SUV record at Pikes Peak in a Bentley Bentayga W12, setting a time of 10min 49.902secs. The previous record was held by Land Rover’s Range Rover Sport, which completed the course in 12min 35.610sec four years ago.

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

I need to qualify faster next year in order to start earlier so as not be affected by weather.

Nick, I apologize my post was not clear. During your entire time at PP did you ever make it to the top? In practice or riding in some else’s car?

--

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Nick, I apologize my post was not clear. During your entire time at PP did you ever make it to the top? In practice or riding in some else’s car?

Ah that. Yes, many times, think I was at the summit about 12 times during the whole week. A few of those were in a car ride with Jeff Zwart on taxi ride with him explaining every corner. Another 3 were of me driving my crew up to the top for sightseeing. As a competitor I don't have to pay to use the road and I also get a summit pass. 

--

kisskiss

--

Whoopsy:

Pikes_Peak_Course-2.jpg

Here is the complete map of the course. The Ken Block corner, aka Mitsubishi corner, is the left right after the 4th leg. One can't quite see it from the map, but it looks very much like the stretch between the 2nd leg and 3rd leg, but the corner is a lot tighter. On my very first practice run ever, I almost flew off that same corner. |. | this close. 

They chop the whole course into 3 sections for practice, From start line to Glen Cove, Glen Cove to Devil's Playground and Devil's Playground to the Summit. We did middle section, top section, bottom section in that order.

In the map, notice the corner named Engineers Corner, that's also called Rookie's Corner. Most of the crashes one saw on Youtube happens there. It pretty much looked exactly the same as the next set at Picnic ground, but as one can see, Engineers is a lot tighter, can't take it flat like the Picnic ground one. Easy to get the corners mixed up as a lot of them really do look alike.

Also notice the Sump, that's where Randy Pobst flew off last year in the Skyline. 

A chance to see the climb from an outside camera. What an enervating sound this VW makes!!

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Apart from general brand exposure, why did Volkswagen participate?
    Volkswagen is not a race car or sports car brand, nor do I think that people will strt buying VWs "because it broke a record on Pikes Peak"... Anybody? Did they give an official statement about the why? yes

--

Joost:

Apart from general brand exposure, why did Volkswagen participate?
    Volkswagen is not a race car or sports car brand, nor do I think that people will strt buying VWs "because it broke a record on Pikes Peak"... Anybody? Did they give an official statement about the why? yes

The embryonic start of a branding effort for its EVs much like how Audi developed the quattro brand starting on the rally circuits in the early 1980s.   

CGX car nut:

The embryonic start of a branding effort for its EVs much like how Audi developed the quattro brand starting on the rally circuits in the early 1980s.   

Yep, I would assume the same. And it seems to be a venture that you could achieve from standstill with the right effort and funding, as most other participants are not driven by a huge manufacturer in the background.

Ferdie:
    CGX car nut:

Yep, I would assume the same. And it seems to be a venture that you could achieve from standstill with the right effort and funding, as most other participants are not driven by a huge manufacturer in the background.

Other attributes of such endeavors promote engineering talents to innovate, develop, and flourish.    This project bridged several disciplines from aerodynamics to battery technologies to structures.   

Thanks for the insights guys! kiss

--

Interesting video: https://youtu.be/W1aMtOAk4LI

Sure I recognise a couple of those drivers 

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Interesting video: https://youtu.be/W1aMtOAk4LI

Sure I recognise a couple of those drivers 

Wonder who?

I believe Porsche will have a longer cut going onto Amazon Prime.

And also B-rolls onto their website or something, but that's a guess as they didn't say where they gonna post them. The producer sent me that vid last week before going public.

--

Looks like brilliant fun, I must say kiss - certainly an experience you'll never forget!

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Looks like brilliant fun, I must say kiss - certainly an experience you'll never forget!

+1 kiss What an experience!

Day trader? I guess “Rennteam’s international man of mystery” would have been too long of a title indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Wow, Nick, cool movie, enjoyed seeing you go through this event in it. Awesome!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690524 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409779 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256038 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858453 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774746 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM