Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Audi E-Tron range revealed

So this looks to be the the first real SUV EV to hit the market from what I can tell. iPace is more of a crossover IMO.

Range will be 248 miles.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/20/audi-e-tron-suv-248-mile-range/

Re: Audi E-Tron range revealed

Volkswagen’s first Electrify America commercial hits the airwaves.  https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/13/vw-electrify-america-flintstones-jetsons-evs/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo

if only marketing people would understand what E-Tron means in French angry

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    the-missile:

Smiley

Audi are just honest about their cars.Smiley

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:
    Gnil:
    the-missile:

Smiley

Audi are just honest about their cars.Smiley

Touche...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

2019 Audi e-tron rendering...

1534364332396image.jpeg

Link: http://drivemag.com/news/rendered-2019-audi-e-tron-might-look-just-like-this

...this new Audi will sell in BIG volumes! Smiley​​​​​​​

I like the design a lot but I am more curious about the tech.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

From Autocar:   https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/audi/e-tron/first-drives/audi-e-tron-quattro-2018-review

From Auto Express:   https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/e-tron/105425/new-audi-e-tron-55-quattro-review

From Car Magazine:  https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/audi/etron-ev/

A bit surprised that the U.S. periodicals have yet to publish any articles on test driving the new e-tron.  

The new e-tron sold 856 units or 4.5% of the total Audi sales in the States in May.  While this was the launch month, the numbers were solid and some dealers have purchased vehicles for customer test drives so sales may remain stable for a few months.  

So we do have a e-Tron thread 

Completely forgot about it.

IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG

Did a round trip to my Whistler place today in the e-Tron. Wanted to see if it can make it without a charge. 

Left home with a full 100% charge, range showing 329km. Arrived with 51% left. So 49% to go one way uphill in the cold.

By the time I leave Whistler the car was showing 50% charge left, and when I got home it is showing 14% left. 36% coming back down hill in sort of cold temperature. I did tried a little to do more regen, keeping my brake pressure under the threshold to stay within the regen braking zone. Apart from that, drove both ways pretty normally and with driver seat seat heater on and climate control set to 22 degrees and with wipers on both ways and headlights on also. (It was raining)

So the e-Tron passed my personal range anxiety test. 

And with 51km of range left and 272.6km driven, I'd say Audi is spot on with their rated 329km even in this demanding condition.

Might get my buddy to take his Model 3 and do the drive again with him to see how accurate or optimistic Tesla rate their cars.

--

kiss

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Sounds good... how about the round trip to Area 27, do a few laps, then home?  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

4trac:

Sounds good... how about the round trip to Area 27, do a few laps, then home?  

The e-Tron don't have enough range to do the trip in one go, and it would be stupid to take it and have to stop in the middle to charge for 45 mins or something. The e-Tron wasn't built to be used this way, it is built as a city car and for a trip to the ski hills and back perhaps. It's like a steak knife isn't built for cutting a tree branch, it can be done to prove a point, but it will take a long time and literally is pointless.

It won't be fun driving it to and back from the track anyways.

--

On another note, it will be interesting to see when Porsche Canada brings the Taycans over to BC to do the Driving Experience. 

Their normal route is from Vancouver to Whistler for a overnight, then a drive of ~430km to Sparkling Hill Resorts in Vernon for another overnight, and then come straight south to my track for a day of track driving and stay in Osoyoos overnight before heading back to Vancouver, another ~400km drive.

Their gasoline powered cars have enough range for each leg, so it's not a problem, but it will be interesting for Taycans and I believe that 430km leg will be stretching it. Especially when the roads are fantastic and they have plenty of opportunities to gun it. The fast charging infrastructure they are building will be of great help, as they stop off somewhere in the middle for lunch and that's 90mins charing time if needed. 

My track is in the process of planning for EV chargers, there are already some bids, but we flat out rejected Tesla already as their chargers are propriety and no one else can use them so they are pointless. Teslas can, however, use industrial standard plugs with an adapter, so that's a easy decision to reject Tesla Superchargers. 

--

Whoopsy, what is your view of the e-tron now when you had it for a while? A good alternative to a petrol car? A better alternative?

It is time to change the family hauler and I am seriously considering an EV. Other contenders on the list are the Jaguar I-Pace and the MB EQC. Tesla I am not too keen on. 

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Don't get the I-Pace, words on the street its that it's no good, just like any other Jaguars. Dealers can't even give them away. 

I am coming up close to 4000km on the e-Tron. Almost 3 months of ownership. Build quality wise, it's bullet proof as usual for Audi products. 

As a daily car, I don't have any complaints. As I said, while the car is slower than Teslas on 0-60, the acceleration from rest in the street is perfectly fine and acceptable, I don't even hit 100% power to match my expected acceleration rate with my other cars in the city.

The rated range of 329km is extremely conservative, I am routinely getting over 360km before needing a charge. Like literally the only 2 times I hit 329km was during my 2 trips to and back from Whistler in the cold and in the rain with everything on and up the hill. 

Highway passing power could be better, but putting it into sports mode for that little bit of extra boost during passing helps. But of course it's no Porsche so my expectation is different. It's better than my Honda pickup already though. But then again you live in Switzerland, one don't really do passing on the highway anyways 

The Audi fits what I need that's for sure.

You should go take a test drive and check for yourself, nothing beats personal experiences. 

On a side note, all the local dealers are like running out of e-Tron to sell, especially the top spec. No idea how many they are getting in a month though. 

--

bluelines:

Whoopsy, what is your view of the e-tron now when you had it for a while? A good alternative to a petrol car? A better alternative?

It is time to change the family hauler and I am seriously considering an EV. Other contenders on the list are the Jaguar I-Pace and the MB EQC. Tesla I am not too keen on. 

My advice (I know, you didn't ask... Smiley): Lease the most convenient (from a financial and whatever suits your needs point of view) EV on the market. Do not buy. Buying EVs is financial suicide in my opinion, especially if you buy expensive high end EVs.

I am thinking about getting an EV as well to replace my E63 S once the lease expires but I'm not sure yet. The German government plans incentives for EVs, so it may get interesting next year. A Taycan 4S would be interesting but knowing Porsche and their lease offers, I'd say that it is highly unlikely I'm getting one.
    We'll see...the new upcoming Audi RS Q8 is on my list as well Smiley, so...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VklxWHkl7pA

Topspeed:

Keep increasing the volume but one fails to hear the exhaust note.   

Previous discussions about the S e-tron variants have indicated that this vehicle will use a three machine configuration, much like Tesla is proposing for its Plaid version of its aging Model S.  Audi had previously used that this configuration when it duplicated a few months ago its famed 1986 ski jump climb to showcase its quattro system.

This illustrates something else that the Tesla cult fails to appreciate about the strengths of the legacy automakers like Volkswagen Group.  The various business units can produce different configurations to optimize performance and to determine which variants are more strongly accepted in the marketplace.  

Tesla cult?  How about Tesla Christians?  Why not go all in and call them Tesla KKK. When -if ever- do they comment on the failures of cars not Tesla or lump people into hate groups in an unwarranted fashion. They are too busy being happy and communicate their strong positive feelings.  Tesla makes three cars with few options. Little or no marketing and they can’t make them fast enough. Do you suggest Tesla adds variety and fluff trim. That would make them a good automaker?   What you describe sounds like a pain in the ass and must add lots of overhead causing the consumer to pay more than otherwise be required. Choice between automakers is good,  too much choice inside one automaker is circular and expensive.  But I get marketing drives choice. Not certain I benefit from that. 

Topspeed:

Completely pointless variation of the e-Tron. The current one already has more than enough power for everyday usage. 

The e-Tron, like every other EV on the market except the Taycan, is an electric people mover for the city, nothing more.

--

E-Tron Sportback

Perhaps the coolest feature of the E-Tron Sportback is its available Digital Matrix LED headlights – units that Audi says will illuminate the road in “high resolution.” The heart of this system is a small chip with no less than one million micromirrors. Using electrostatic fields, each tiny mirror can tilt up to 5,000 times per second. It all sounds like crazy science fiction, but the result is headlights that can illuminate very specific sections of the road, or off the road if needed. The snazzy headlamps can also project specific images, and when it comes to other traffic on the road, light can actually be blocked so as to not blind opposing drivers while still keeping your side of the street well lit. We really like that notion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc

Mercedes : 194 miles(312km) - 75% of it's claimed range
    ...........Audi : 206 miles(331km) - 81% of it's claimed range
    ......Nissan : 208 miles(334km) - 87% of it's claimed range
    ......Jaguar : 223 miles(358km) - 76% of it's claimed range
    .............Kia : 255 miles(410km) - 90% of it's claimed range
    .........Tesla : 270 miles(435km) - 78% of it's claimed range

*Modern diesel cars will do about 75% of their claimed range.

About as informative as measuring the range of ICE cars. I have not understood the point. Based on the size of your gas tank and efficiency. In this case size of battery and efficiency. I think we will eventually settle on miles per kWh as the best measure. 

Leawood911:

About as informative as measuring the range of ICE cars. I have not understood the point. Based on the size of your gas tank and efficiency. In this case size of battery and efficiency. I think we will eventually settle on miles per kWh as the best measure. 

Agreed. I won't forget my "record" run with the Tesla S P100D...full charge...only 170 km range at the end, barely made it to the dealer (thank god the navigation system range estimate is conservative, I was at a -3% estimate and was worried I won't make it). Dealer advised that the "optimal" speed to be fast and efficient is around 150 kph but at this speed, I usually fall asleep. Smiley 

I liked the Tesla vs Tesla drag race more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyjygzQs4p8 , it showed how fast the Tesla S P100D is, even compared to the Tesla 3 Performance I was thinking of getting...maybe. Now I'm not so sure but the Tesla S would be too big for me, I don't want another limousine, the Tesla 3 Performance would be perfect (fast when I need it, efficient when I want it).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

If you don’t like turbo lag then electric is the next step up. Your Lamborghini will feel slow off the line by comparison , but just off the line.  You will enjoy the silent useable power around town. 
    I considered the S but it is old tech. Maybe after the refresh that’s coming. The model 3 handles sooooo much better as well. Keep in mind it beats the M3 around a track by seconds. 
    Regarding range - I’m sure the two of us can make our ice car’s range suffer given our lead foot issues. All good fun. Impressive dent you put in that range!  At least with the EV the cost and damage to the drive train is cheap. Not like my clutch. 

Leawood911:

If you don’t like turbo lag then electric is the next step up. Your Lamborghini will feel slow off the line by comparison , but just off the line.  You will enjoy the silent useable power around town. 
    I considered the S but it is old tech. Maybe after the refresh that’s coming. The model 3 handles sooooo much better as well. Keep in mind it beats the M3 around a track by seconds. 
    Regarding range - I’m sure the two of us can make our ice car’s range suffer given our lead foot issues. All good fun. Impressive dent you put in that range!  At least with the EV the cost and damage to the drive train is cheap. Not like my clutch. 

I never had the feeling that my Performante feels slow off the line and I used the launch control only once. The Lambo is about driving fun, it tickles all the right senses, can't be compared to any regular car or EV, completely different ballpark. 

The Tesla S Raven is much faster off the line than the model 3 Performance, so not easy to make the right choice but I'm still not sure anyway, not a fan of EVs and I might end up with something completely else.

Right now, I really love my GLC 63S with that deep growl V8 sound, just amazing (the pre-facelift sounds besser in the higher rev range but the facelift with particulate filter definitely kills it in the lower rev range and at idle), performance is also pretty impressive for a SUV, so I kind of started to think of the GLC63 S as the perfect daily driver. It is sporty, it is fast, it sounds great, it is small enough to feel good in the city (incl. parking, which is always an issue in Europe), it is comfortable (the new MBUX entertainment system is also really amazing), I think that I found the perfect daily driver for me

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

E63S was the perfect daily RC for like what a year indecision

I am convinced (and others already/will join) that is not going to last for very long. a year...and then guys I got super good offer on the RSQ8 and I pulled the trigger this car is so good smiley and whatnot

counter starting: 365 days remaining

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:

E63S was the perfect daily RC for like what a year indecision

I do not remember saying it is the perfect daily driver but yes, it comes pretty close to a perfect daily driver. Unfortunately I need more luggage room (we had a situation where I had to put three larger suitcases into the E63 S and one didn't fit, causing a serious issue for us all, long story) and I need a car for (deeper) snow (see photo). My wife also had issues with the E63 because it was too difficult for her to park, it is much easier with the GLC.

IMG_3659.jpg

I am convinced (and others already/will join) that is not going to last for very long. a year...and then guys I got super good offer on the RSQ8 and I pulled the trigger this car is so good smiley and whatnot

counter starting: 365 days remaining

Smiley I have to disappoint you, no RS Q8 for me. I like the RS Q8 a lot but I don't need one, it is too big for me (similar to the Urus, besides a little "issue" with its horrendous price tag Smiley).

The car replacing the GLC 63S AMG will be either a Tesla model 3 Performance (or better) or...maybe I keep the GLC longer than planned (2 years) if possible. We are still thinking about moving to Florida, so the only car I am really attached to is the Performante but I'm not sure I can take it with me.

I know that my wife wants a 992 Turbo S Cab (or maybe only a 992 Carrera GTS Cab, it remains to be seen) when her C63 S Cab lease runs out, so I'll have a little bit of fun with that baby. Personally, I don't need anything anymore other than the Performante...and a decent daily driver, especially for winter time. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM