Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

BMW owner tapes black car to white

BMW owner tapes black car to white

When a BMW 335i owner in Munich became bored with his black coupe, he hired a team to wrap it in white tape. Two days later, he drove home in his refreshed "Alpine White" coupe (with an M3-appearing black roof). No, it's not normal tape. It's a special 3M wrap, and the process is known as "foiling." Apparently, the German military has been using the process (with an olive drab tape) for some time now. Likewise, the process is popular with race teams and taxi companies. Available in countless colors, the tape itself is thick enough to protect the paint from minor chips and nicks, and it can be left adhered to the surface for 3-4 years without damage (!). Adhesion isn't a problem either, as the tape can even withstand an automatic car wash without peeling off. Thanks for the tip Frank.
    Source: Autoblog

Re: BMW owner tapes black car to white

Interesting! Actually looks rather good!

Wraps have been around for a few years now and are getting better all the time. The Gumball cars are usually wrapped for example. Here's a Lamborghini LP640 being transformed from three layer pearlescent yellow to matt black
    Lambopower

anyone knows a website to these tapes??????

need to find out if there are any places in my area that does that. I never knew about this, very cool.

Hmmmmm. A new set of wheels and colour change and it's like buying a new car. Not a bad idea.

here is another bimmer (CSL) that had been foiled a couple of years back.

Oh, this is nothing more than Vinyl Wrapping.
    You see it on tour buses and demo vehicles all the time.

And the designs can get much more elaborate.

Cool in a way. But, would a whole new paint job be cheaper?

Here you go guys.. www.foilacar.com

They have quoted a price of $4-5k. Almost as much as painting a car with a new paint. It looks 95% real however the advantage is that you can peel it off and go back to the car's original color.

how does the price compare to a paintjob??

Thanks for the link ha. I've been looking for a site with this kind of info all afternoon.

This is very fashy right now in Germany. I know couple of people doing this with their car. An easy way to get a new color in high quality.

How about removing this foil.
    How much does that cost, or maybe you can do it at home with your fingernails

I agree, for some ocassions it's great
    Imagine christmas, foiling your p-car or f-car in red foil with those little, tiny snowflakes on the hood.
    Wearing a santa claus suit and wrapping your number plates, so they would look like from Suomi, would give you an advantage over other santas.

That topic has been discussed on this board for quite a few times already. Great to see some first hand pictures of the transition.

The foils are easy to remove even by oneself, the foil and its application have to be of good quality, in that case you can hardly see that it is anything else than original paint. Have seen an Audi with a silk-matte aluminium paint a while ago and the only way one could tell was by touching the transitions to the original paint.
    One strong advantage over repainting, the original paint and rust protection are not affected, therefore it is easy to sell in a convenient colour.

One German company offering these foils, as an example since I have no affiliation with them.

I imagine the surface is extremely high quality, no paint besides the Rolls-Royce 12 (or is it 22?) coats can match it. But does it create the same deep effect as a well polished and waxed paint?

Do bugs come off easier from the plastic wrap?

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    But does it create the same deep effect as a well polished and waxed paint?

The foil, to my personal experience, works best with solid colours. One hardly sees the difference with striking colours since their reflection excels any gloss, if one is looking for a dark glossy colour one should stick with the original paint for now. That said, any car used for the transformation is recommended to have a neutral basecolour for the parts that cannot / would not be covered (engine and trunklid bottoms, hinges etc.). Dark colours or silver are usually used with a silk finish so far. One exception of the above comments is highly-reflective silver foil albeit I'm not sure of its long-time durability:

Quote:
    ha said:
    Here you go guys.. www.foilacar.com

They have quoted a price of $4-5k. Almost as much as painting a car with a new paint. It looks 95% real however the advantage is that you can peel it off and go back to the car's original color.

Thats sound to expensive to me. A fellow Member from the CLS Forum foiled hes car a year ago in Germany, and it cost him arround 900 Euros including everything.
    Until today he is very satisfied and didnt complain about the quality.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Wraps have been around for a few years now and are getting better all the time. The Gumball cars are usually wrapped for example. Here's a Lamborghini LP640 being transformed from three layer pearlescent yellow to matt black
    Lambopower

Hi Isuk, that is a regular Murcielago. It has the LP640 tail lights installed with the veilside kit. Look at the side mirrors.

If you touch a car, you don't feel its foil ?

This is one of the nicest 3 Coupe I have seen...

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    This is very fashy right now in Germany. I know couple of people doing this with their car. An easy way to get a new color in high quality.

I think all yellow German taxis are done with this foil?

Anybody know if a foil change is something considered as permanete color change? Does it have to be applied to the registration papers? The logic tells the law forces would not want any cars driving around in different colors rather than what is stated in the official documents.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    I think all yellow German taxis are done with this foil?

Not all, but the vast majority is. You preserve the paint finish underneath, small scratches and environmental influences are absorbed by the foil and do not have to be polished out at point of resale. On top of that cars can be sold in senseful colours (mostly silver and black) since not everybody favours fashionable beige.

Quote:
    Queram said:
    Anybody know if a foil change is something considered as permanete color change? Does it have to be applied to the registration papers? The logic tells the law forces would not want any cars driving around in different colors rather than what is stated in the official documents.

Depends on country of registration. Papers in Europe only consider the actual paint finish, even if the foil covers the entire car. Might be different in other countries, as far as I know multicoloured cars are forbidden in Brazil? Remember an artist's contribution to that subject...

A few BMW owners have done this... here is a few more...

That quoted price of $4-5k is RIDICULOUS!
    Fools tax!
    I it were that expensive how many VW caddys would you see wrapped with ugly labels.
    900 Euro mentioned later sounds a bit more reasonable.

My concern is how is this car treated if you get pulled over by the cops?
    I mean, it is registered as black and so it says in its papers and a car you drive is white. How do you explian this, is it even legal?

The plastic wrapped sofa, err... car is upon us.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689086 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408957 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255648 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234896 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857805 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773767 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM