Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997.2 LED lights - stopped by UK police

I've just been stopped and questioned by a not-too-bright member of the City of London Police Service (we don't call it a police "force" anymore due to PC requirements) for driving with my front fog lights on.

I tried to explain to this gentleman that this was a new car and had "LED daytime driving lights". He insisted that I show him the manual, which I did, which explains that different national requirements may have different set-ups. He then suggested that this was a German car and therefore had probably been wrongly built to "German requirements". I pointed out to him that having the steering wheel on the right probably was a reasonable indicator that it wasn't built to German specifications. I also pointed out to him that most type approvals are now EU wide. He then told me that I had to visit my dealer to have it "checked out". I told him I didn't think that would be necessary as I'd only had the car delivered a week ago. After a quarter of an hour of this banal banter, he undertook to investigate!

Go capture the real criminals morons!

Re: 997.2 LED lights - stopped by UK police

Quote:
    senator said:
    I've just been stopped and questioned by a not-too-bright member of the City of London Police Service (we don't call it a police "force" anymore due to PC requirements) for driving with my front fog lights on.

I tried to explain to this gentleman that this was a new car and had "LED daytime driving lights". He insisted that I show him the manual, which I did, which explains that different national requirements may have different set-ups. He then suggested that this was a German car and therefore had probably been wrongly built to "German requirements". I pointed out to him that having the steering wheel on the right probably was a reasonable indicator that it wasn't built to German specifications. I also pointed out to him that most type approvals are now EU wide. He then told me that I had to visit my dealer to have it "checked out". I told him I didn't think that would be necessary as I'd only had the car delivered a week ago. After a quarter of an hour of this banal banter, he undertook to investigate!

Don't wonder why crime is on the rise!

Wrong people with wrong priorities!

And I always thought such things only happen in Germany...

In every country there are stupid envious idiots at every level. It's when you give such people a public function that things get really bad.

We have the same thing here.

That must of been good fun in reality.

OH boy... Over here the town is crammed with ricerboys with illegal exhausts and driving around with their foglights on, as if that would make them look cooler. Then why for pete's sake stop one of the few cars that has the correct and legal setup... stupidity nowadays...
    -Joost-

What a moron.

Bloody jealous jobsworth!

That's 15 minutes that a police officer could have been investigating crimes or patrolling problem areas. This sounds like something that would be more appropriate for communist China.

Had the [beep] not noticed all the new Audis with their Daytime Lights?

should have turned the fog lights on to prove to him

Interesting...

I keep getting oncoming traffic flashing me. I assume it is for the same reason.

You can in the PCM settings turn the driving lights off, but i actually quite like them !!

theyre just loving the car Chris!

Bureaucratic procedures permit poorly trained/educated officials to focus on the trivial while justifiably ignoring the essential. There's a method to this now universal madness.

Don't think for a minute that this kind of moronic situation happens only across the pond, not at all! A couple of years back my brother gets pulled over driving his Gallardo doing 39 mph in a 30 mph zone right alongside an old, beaten up Saturn sedan and the female policewoman wanted to charge him with drag racing the Saturn!!!! The speed trap was a good 1/2 mile after the traffic signal from which my brother in his Gallardo and the fellow on the junkyard condition Saturn allegedly started their drag race! My brother argued that he would be at a substantially higher speed had he been accelerating as in a drag race. The other policemen rooled their eyes when they heard her say that but did not want to make her look like the obvious fool she was but convinced her by talking to her away from my brother to let him go. She let him go but not before giving him a ticket for some other trivial reason I don't recall now, but was very trivial nevertheless, as if to make a point that she still had power over him. No wonder crime in our area of the country is climbing steadily!

A day in the life of Officer Dibble, 9am -stopped a car for putting foglights on during the day 2) had a couple of donuts and a hot cup of choco.... complete jokers

The aim of Traffic Policing should be to prevent accidents and get dangerous people off the streets.

Instead police officers like to apply the strict letter of the law in a variety of harmless situations and waste time on trivialities instead of concentrating on serious law enforcement.

The problem is worldwide at varying degrees. IMO the people who direct policemen stupidly give them ticket quotas so they go after quantity instead of quality.

This type of behavior also depends upon the priorities and marching-orders that trickle-down from top command, chiefs, sheriffs, etc...

I've got many friends who work in law enforcement, various ranks and departments from local PD to FBI...

None of them are terribly concerned with nit-pick nonsense or envy-ticketing... They've got bigger fish to fry, and their command sets that agenda and that department-wide ethic. If you believe that your local force is misguided, look to the top.

That said, I wish that the city, county and state forces would pay more attention to:

- Un-safe vehicles... sh**-boxes running on bald tires, almost-flat tires, smoking a quart of oil an hour, cocking 20-degrees sideways and countersteering the brakes, etc... Talk about death and injury upon innocent others waiting to happen...

- Red-light runners... Big pet peeve of mine. Anymore, I see mostly females, cell-phone on ear, running through the red turn-arrow with a casual look of "duhhh" on their face as they blow by horns and one-finger-salutes on their way to nowhere..

- Children hopping around a moving car like a jungle-gym... C'mon, you can get free safety seats at Goodwill...

So, in certain respects, I wish there was more emphasis in my area toward traffic enforcement, aimed at those who pose the greatest risk...

ALSO, never forget that alot of traffic pulls for seemingly "manufactured" and trivial reasons are just an excuse to run your tag and driver's license through the computer... I don't so much have a problem with this, as this IS an effective way to nab yourself a real crook. I've heard countless stories from friends, "it was slow, I was bored stiff, pulled over a guy with a burned-out taillight, popped his DL into the computer, and.... Holy crapola, the warrants hit the screen like America's Most Wanted...

A young guy in a Lambo, you never know, they may have been fishing... Now, you can say that it's not proper, that it's profiling, that it's a violation of your rights, etc.etc... But as long as they don't proceed to TICKET ME for something stupid, I'm fine with allowing them to peek under the corner of the rug to make sure I'm not Gotti Jr.. However, if they then ticket me once they discover I'm as clean as a whistle, that's B.S..

He probably just wanted to check out your new car...

Thanks for the laugh Was quite funny to picture this Policeman of yours

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    In every country there are stupid envious idiots at every level. It's when you give such people a public function that things get really bad.

We have the same thing here.

Correct. This is a classic example of a low-level functionary to raise to his chance to exert power and domination over fellow citizens.

Quote:
    senator said:

He then suggested that this was a German car and therefore had probably been wrongly built to "German requirements". I pointed out to him that having the steering wheel on the right probably was a reasonable indicator that it wasn't built to German specifications.

That 'put-down' line was quite brilliant...

Quote:
    senator said:

Incredible! Just wondering if the officer had a French accent and a name tag that read Clouseau?

I remember as a kid, back in the mid-70's when Florida required annual State Inspections of vehicles, being with my mom at the Florida State Inspection station in her 1968 Shelby GT500KR equipped with sequential taillights that would sequence multiple bulbs from inboard-to-outboard when you used your blinkers...

Subject: Middle-aged good-ole-boy with established beer belly, clip board, and glowing red pudgy face...

"Yep..... Mah bruthuh had one of these here Shelbys.... Ain't nothin more than a Mustang with scoops all over it... (right about now my mother's face starts turning the same shade of red as her inspector's...)... Ummm, Maam, I'm afraid I've gotta fail ya, yer blinkers are malfunctionin'.... You'll haveta go get that fixed there an roll on back through 'ere once they're right...

"They are SUPPOSED to work like that..."

"Young lady, don't tell me my business, get 'em fixed..."

She drove back the next day, made sure to get a different guy in a different row, and sailed through...

Funny the things you remember from childhood, I must've been 7 or 8??

Well, I'll go out on a different limb here and say, I'm actually glad the officer is investigating it.

Here in the US too many people drive around all the time with their 'fog lights' on.. sometimes the fog-tail light on as well. I guess they think it makes them look sporty or cool. What it does is blind the crap out of the rest of us because there's no bloody fog and visibility is great. Worse is the rear fog light which makes it look like they might be on the brake.....

So nipping improper fog light usage is a-ok with me. Personally, I'd have just explained what I could to the officer, and then politely agreed to go have it checked out. There's no point in arguing with him.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Un-safe vehicles... sh**-boxes running on bald tires, almost-flat tires, smoking a quart of oil an hour, cocking 20-degrees sideways and countersteering the brakes, etc...

I do have to say that the US has quite a chunk of them driving around, most of them would never pass the technical inspection in Europe. However, trucks coming from evolving markets are just the same problem around here and if things start to fail, the outcome is even worse...

Have seen those LED lights on the new Audis and Porsche and they are very striking. While I accept this fashionable item on the Audis, I have a hard time understanding these features on the 997. It just doesn't need these cosmetic enhancements.

Jealousy, the hardest weapon in the world!

Insane!

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Jealousy, the hardest weapon in the world!

Insane!

You nailed it.
    Guy bought his TaTa nAnO and can't sleep no more.
    All day long he keeps thinking, how to mount LED on his vehicle, then he saw those LEDs and that was it...

Envy is a mother, jealousy a father
    what can we do...

Sounds like something you would see on the TV show "Beadle's About" (R.I.P.): UK's answer to Candid Camera.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442162 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263028 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261314 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5770 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817046 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM