Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

DR Review: 997.2 Carrera 4

http://www.drivers-republic.com/first_lo...85ce49cf6f6bbf6

Porsche spends a great deal of time and money developing the four-wheel drive version of its Carrera. Its brief is simple: in the dry it should mimic the behaviour of the standard Carrera and in the wet bring added security and traction.

But the simple brief has a not-so-simple solution, involving the electronically controlled PTM (Porsche Traction Management) system from the Turbo and a standard-fit rear limited-slip differential.

The control unit that determines how much power to distribute between front and rear axles is a work of genius - not only measuring wheel speeds and lateral forces but also taking account of the steering angle before shuffling the torque. The aim is to prevent under- or oversteer before they occur, but if the car is sliding and you're already applying corrective lock the C4 will work with your reactions to bring things under control more smoothly and more quickly. And all this in no more than 100-milliseconds.

Despite such technological brilliance it's a sad fact of life for Porsche's chassis and transmission engineers that many customers are almost certainly going to choose the C4 on looks alone. The old school reflector strip across the back split opinion (I love it, many didn't) - but the wide body from the Turbo and GT3RS is a universal hit, accentuating the 997's curves without looking OTT. If you love the look then the circa-Pounds4000 premium Porsche wants for the C4 over the C2 is money well spent. Whether its multi-plate clutch in the front axle, PTM system and rear limited-slip diff have a similarly transforming effect on the dynamics should be revealed on quiet roads near Berlin and a Michelin test facility located on an ex-Cold War Russian airbase nearby.

Unfortunately the road driving on offer is restricted to roads that are either straight and very smooth or so badly surfaced that driving quickly is out of the question. On the few sequences of corners we do find the C4 feels agile and grippy, with just a shade more understeer than you might find in the standard Carrera. The wider rear track and huge 295-section (305-section for the C4S) tyres give the rear axle enormous grip so its no surprise that the front pushes wide first when you start dipping into the 3.6-litre, 340bhp (345PS) flat-six. I should mention that the new direct-injection unit feels strong and punchy low down and revs with a zip to the limiter. In fact such is the acceleration, the glorious noise and the sheer enjoyment you get from this engine that you can't help asking yourself if you'd bother with the 380bhp 3.8-litre engine in the 'S' version. Hooked-up to the 7-speed PDK 'box, as it was on our test car, the C4 feels plenty fast enough.

There are other subtle differences too, chief among them a steering rack that is just a shade heavier, making the C4 feel a little less keen to change direction. But on unfamiliar roads - and even though I'd literally driven to the airport in a C2S - the C4 feels very, very close to its rear-drive sibling. So close you might begin to wonder why you'd bother...

PLUS: Four-wheel drive system works superbly in low-grip situations and there's little penalty in terms of weight or on-limit dynamics. Usual 997 strengths - performance, brakes, grip and balance - are intact

MINUS: A trace more understeer than the C2 or C2S and a bit of agility is lost. Counter-intuitive PDK shifters are awkward to use

Re: DR Review: 997.2 Carrera 4

Rest of the review...

Fortunately we have a dry handling track, simulated wet-grip circuit on polished tarmac and a slalom course doused with hundreds of gallons of water that replicates a snowy surface on which to explore the C4's limits. The simulated wet surface isn't actually that much more slippery than dry tarmac, however it does reveal just how good the C4's traction is. Out of tight hairpins the car never needs to use its PSM traction and stability control systems, and through the quicker 3rd-gear corners there's a similar lack of drama. Which isn't to say that the C4 is just a point-and-shoot machine. Turn off the PSM and it feels very adjustable, tweaking its balance through the quicker turns depending on your throttle input and proving very keen to slip into turn-in oversteer should you have an exaggerated lift of the throttle on corner entry.

Once the tail is swinging the C4 requires less subtlety than the C2 to recover - you can jump on the power and feel the front wheels pulling you through the slide. However, it's still a rear-engined car and even though the PTM is juggling drive quickly to optimise traction you'll need to be quick with your first corrective input to prevent an ungraceful spin (to which I can testify!). It's still a 911 after all.

At track speeds the mild understeer I mentioned earlier is less evident. On the road you tend to turn-in with a good margin of error and then get on the power hard as the corner opens out, unbalancing the car as you do so. But here on the track you can fully commit to the corner so that the chassis is balanced right from the entry. Suddenly the C4 finds a more fluid, more malleable balance. In fact you can ignore much of the 911 received wisdom and brake hard right into the apex, the front tyres biting determinedly, the rear tyres just edging wide to keep things neutral. You can certainly take liberties that a C2 might not tolerate. On the proper 'outer handling' track the C4 feels superb, dealing with direction changes with total efficiency and carrying huge speed. Our test car was fitted with the optional ceramic brakes and they work brilliantly and never hint at fading. Once again the 3.6-litre engine proved almost a match for a C4S I was following, just losing a half a car length or so between gearshifts.

Speaking of gearshifts, the odd PDK shift controls mounted on the steering wheel spokes are a problem on track. The counter-intuitive push-for-upshifts, pull-for-downshifts system does become more instinctive with practice, but when you're busy on the steering wheel it's all too easy to unintentionally get an upshift mid-corner. It's frustrating and what's worse is that your contact with the steering (for so long a defining feature on any 911) is now conducted through the hard shiny plastic shifters. I'd stick with the manual and save Pounds2338.

So the C4 is an excellent car - the four-wheel drive system works imperceptibly and any deterioration in feedback is marginal. Better still it retains its composure right up to the limit and beyond, which isn't true of the last C4 (the previous car had a slower-reacting mechanically controlled four-wheel drive system), which was a car that could get surprisingly ragged when pushed hard. In low grip situations it's superior to the C2 and only 55kgs heavier. However, whether the C4 makes sense depends largely upon where you live. In colder parts of Europe or the US it's a no-brainer, but in the UK it'll rarely prove advantageous to have the C4. And although it sacrifices little in dynamic terms it's a penalty I wouldn't want to pay a premium for.

hmmm.. still not a believer of the new red strip... doesn't seem to blend well with the rest of the back and the color seems off.

Thanks, guys!

Re the strip, I agree with 550 Spyder. I already asked my dealer if it can be left off - more to get the message back to PAG than with any expectation that my October build will be strip free. Seems, like the PDK gear change surge in Sports mode, to be an unnecessary embellishment Porsche is rarely guilty of.

If they had integrated the brake light, at least one could have pointed to a functional improvement (bigger), but it just looks a color and texture mismatched, stuck-on plastic strip to my eye, at least in all the photos I have seen.

Hopefully it will look better in actuality.

What we need to do is develop an LED driven matrix display where the driver can select various messages to display on that for people behind them to read. Say "Back off!". Or maybe use the voice recognition system to have it display messages you speak?

Last thing before bedtime:

And one more:

Relocated badge:

Ferdie,

Where do you live? Could I bring mine over to have you Photoshop my strip away, come October?

What is your rate?!!!

PS: do you charge more, like Porsche to handle Artic Silver??!!

So much better without the stripe...

Anyone care to speculate how many secs the C4 loses to the C2 at the NBR?

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

and the new rear lights look much better on the wide butt (or is it just the angle of the photograph )

Is anyone convinced to go for the 4 instead of the 2?

Quote:
    pnoble said:
    Where do you live? Could I bring mine over to have you Photoshop my strip away, come October?

That might work if you choose the European delivery programme. Although it might be easier to photoshop your entire batch of holiday pictures later. Special prices for Rennteam members.

I am very curious how most C4/C4S owners will handle that stylistic deviation...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

That all depends on if you are going to run it in 3 to 5 inches of snow or not.

I am - I will be using it as my DD year round. Up here, in Minnesota, we get a lot of snow and ice for about 5 months.

If I lived somewhere warm, I could be perfectly happy with a CS year round.

I also happen to like the stripe and the wider hips. I have read in more than a few places that it looks much nicer in person than in photos - which I can easily see, as nice as a Porsche looks in pictures, they always look nicer in person to me! !

Not to mention, I think it will help me be more visible at night, since I am ordering a Black car.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:

Damn right!! beautiful pic

mnmatt,

Have you order with a rear wiper or not? Just curious. PDF or stick?

no rear wiper

PDF - but my build date is next spring so I will make my final decision after more people weigh in on it, and I will probably get to test drive one before I finalize my order. Impressed by the performance, not impressed by the shifters.

My wife also prefers PDK as otherwise she won't be as comfortable driving it on the rare occassions she has the opportunity (when I am away, using the other car, etc)

My full order:

997.2 C4S
    A1 Black
    AT Black Full Leather
    810 Floor Mats (Black)
    342 Heated Seats
    P01 Adaptive Sports Seats
    635 Park Assist (Cheaper than repairing wife's dings if she tries to park it)
    640 Sport Chrono+
    672 Navigation
    680 Bose
    686 XM Sat
    870 Universal Audio Interface
    250 PDK
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors
    603 Dynamic Cornering Lights
    405 19" Classic Wheels
    CEE Rear Footwell Lighting
    CEF Door Storage Pocket Lighting
    022 Black Dials
    XXZ Footrest Aluminum
    XSX Seatbelts Guards Red
    803 Carbon Package
    XMT Rear Console Carbon
    CXD Carbon Entry Guards Illuminated
    176 Sports Exhaust

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

No guess on the 997.2, but I seem to remember that the 996 C4S was faster on the NBR than the 996 C2, but my memory may be failing me....

allow me to interrupt the thread for a second ....

does anyone know which green it is in the above photographs??? i have to decide between that or meteor gray when i place an order for my 997.2 C2 ..... either way, the interior will be natural brown with adaptive sports seats/ pdk .....thanks

mnmatt,

You are lucky, I had to choose between PDK and stick without the opportunity to try PDK.

Mine is similarly speced excluding the last nine cosmetic items and park assist but adding voice control. (works nicely on my wife's Infiniti EX-35 and probably identical albeit ten times the cost!)

Quote:
    mnmatt said:

672 Navigation
    680 Bose
    686 XM Sat
    870 Universal Audio Interface
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors
    603 Dynamic Cornering Lights
    405 19" Classic Wheels
    CEE Rear Footwell Lighting
    CEF Door Storage Pocket Lighting
    XXZ Footrest Aluminum
    XSX Seatbelts Guards Red
    803 Carbon Package
    XMT Rear Console Carbon
    CXD Carbon Entry Guards Illuminated
    176 Sports Exhaust

I just filtered above your discretionary items... You are the quintessential PAG customer. They love you!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:

What color is that???

David

These pictures confirm my earlier feelings:
    If I were in the market for a 997.2, it would be a C4S with a retrofitted 977.1 engine lid, or if that was impossible,m I'd go for the C2S.
    What were those stubborn marketing designers thinking. This stripe is an insult to everyone who looks at styling and not to status.
    -Joost-

This is funny... I remember when the 997.1 C4S came out, there was a clamor for the lack of the rear red stripe. Go figure now...

I wonder if the European crowd is less into the rear red stripe and the US crowd likes it more. The reason is because there was a fashion about 10-20 years ago in Euro cars in fitting a rear reflector in the rear from tail light to tail light like the stripe on the C4S (ex: Peugeot 205 GTi, Ford Scorpio, etc), but that is well out of fashion now and looks outdated, at least to me this is why don't like the stripe, it reminds me of this.

No, it is not that it is outdated! I am comfortable with the stripe, as long as it makes sense (looks-wise). This thing is an insult, because porsche was not prepared to actually design it, but just slammed on a piece of crap, not willing to make it flow with the design. I would love the C4S to have a stripe, but not this piece of junk.

Malachite green

That's my guess. Panarama had pics of a TT a while back in this color and some of the launch pics have shown cars in this color. Malachite Green and Natural Brown leather would be a cool combo.

Re: Malachite green

So the fixed the PTM for the 997.2 vs the turbo?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778084 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442031 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262943 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261194 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85457 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5695 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880863 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816447 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM