Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

daily driver

Hi all. Checked the search, but still not sure. What about a 911 C2 as a DD in the city? Work, errands, golf course, etc...?

Re: daily driver

I have driven my 997 C2S (manual) for just shy of 50,000 miles the past 46 months. It has been a love affair. All types of driving and all types of weather. Not a single day have I regretted it.

The C2 FL is sweet according the reviews and comparable in performance to the original C2S.

In Dallas you don't need a C4.

PS: you do want sports control. The throttle response is totally different: much more alive. Bit of rip off since it is virtually zero cost to Porsche and a $960 option as I remember it, with a stupid chronometer on the dashboard that you will never use.

A daily driver as compared to what? It will work great as a daily driver. Get the PASM, to make it even more usable as a daily driver, as it gives the suspension/driver a wider range of settings to compensate for road and need.

Work, errands, shopping...no problem.

Golf is a bit different - needs some planning. If you carry your golf bag...no problem. Lower the rear seats and bag sits there nicely. You may have to remove your driver from the bag depending on it's size.

It you use a pull-trolley, you'll need to get one that folds twice, then it will fit in the boot.

If you use a power-trolley, the options are few. I've never used one with a 911, but have just ordered the new Powakaddy Classic Legend. I breaks three ways, including front wheel, and I've been assured it will fit...well, if it doesn't it goes back! I get it on Tuesday - will let you know.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    Get the PASM, to make it even more usable as a daily driver, as it gives the suspension/driver a wider range of settings to compensate for road and need.

Does the non-Sport mode of PASM provide a softer ride than the base Carrera? Is there some proof (i.e., Porsche document) that this is true?

Thx to all. So no issues with start/ stopping as long as I keep oil temp up? Some of my purist friends say it will wear the seals out faster.

I can only say that after nearly 50,000 miles over nearly four years, driving to work, around town, into Manhattan, down to DC, up to Canada, over more potholes than I have had hot dinners, through rain and snow storms.....my manual 997S drives like new, has had virtually nothing go wrong with it and puts a smile on my face every time I walk into my garage.

Everything is covered for the first 50,000 miles anyhow, except the inevitable rim and tire damage on North East roads, which shouldn't be an issue in Dallas!

My advice: invest in a Valentine radar detector (or similar) and have the dealership run the power cable so it comes out by the rear view mirror and power come with ignition. Speeding tickets could otherwise become an additional real cost of driving a Porsche!

Thx. I have a V1 here, standing by. My 2002 C2 did well, but it was a garage queen. I am more comfortable now with the DD idea.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Golf is a bit different - needs some planning. If you carry your golf bag...no problem. Lower the rear seats and bag sits there nicely. You may have to remove your driver from the bag depending on it's size.

I've also placed my golf bag on the passenger seat. I lower the passenger seat slightly and let the golf bag lie alongside. Easier access than placing it in the back of the car on the rear seats. And no need to remove any clubs.

Do you then cover the seats before laying your bag? What if it rained on the bag while playing?

I usually cover the seat with a towel. The biggest worry is the bottom of the golf bag rubbing against the glove box, so I either put something there to cushion it, or I angle the seatback a little higher.

It doesn't rain a whole lot here in Southern California. If it's raining, I won't play golf.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    John H said:

I've also placed my golf bag on the passenger seat. I lower the passenger seat slightly and let the golf bag lie alongside. Easier access than placing it in the back of the car on the rear seats. And no need to remove any clubs.

Hi Alan....I usually have my 'Caddie' in the passenger seat - she refuses to lie across the back ones!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I usually cover the seat with a towel. The biggest worry is the bottom of the golf bag rubbing against the glove box, so I either put something there to cushion it, or I angle the seatback a little higher.

It doesn't rain a whole lot here in Southern California. If it's raining, I won't play golf.

Thanks Alan for the tip. Here if you wait for "no rain" you never golf

Quote:
    TheJazzMan said:
    Quote:
    Minok said:
    Get the PASM, to make it even more usable as a daily driver, as it gives the suspension/driver a wider range of settings to compensate for road and need.

I've read posts on some sites of drivers saying as much (eg This Cayman thread), and I remember on some board in the past 3 months, someone posted a link to a Porsche diagram that showed the damper ranges of the 3 states: static suspension, PASM_normal, and PASM_sport and that had the ride stiffness of the static suspension right in the middle of a zone of PASM.. with PASM normal going from a more compliant suspension to just a tad stiffer (as it adjusts) and the sport mode going from just a tad more compliant to much stiffer (as it adjusts). Does anyone know where that diagram/chart is? I searched the Porsche USA, UK and Germany sites to no avail.

Does the non-Sport mode of PASM provide a softer ride than the base Carrera? Is there some proof (i.e., Porsche document) that this is true?

In my opinion, the sport and non-sport modes of PASM provide a firmer ride than the normal suspension. On the expressway, in the PASM mode, you can feel every little bump and seam the the road. Most of the time I leave PASM off (even when I'm in the sport mode) because of the softer ride. I reserve the PASM for sporty driving on curvy roads.

Quote:
    planenuts4speed said:Most of the time I leave PASM off (even when I'm in the sport mode) because of the softer ride. I reserve the PASM for sporty driving on curvy roads.

This suggest to me that either you don't understand how PASM works, or I've been greatly misinformed and myself don't understand how PASM works.

If your car has PASM installed it is on all of the time; it cannot be disabled. You can only select if it operates in normal or in sport mode. This should not be confused with the settings of any other Porsche systems installed that may be in a 'sport mode'.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    Quote:
    planenuts4speed said:Most of the time I leave PASM off (even when I'm in the sport mode) because of the softer ride. I reserve the PASM for sporty driving on curvy roads.

This suggest to me that either you don't understand how PASM works, or I've been greatly misinformed and myself don't understand how PASM works.

If your car has PASM installed it is on all of the time; it cannot be disabled. You can only select if it operates in normal or in sport mode. This should not be confused with the settings of any other Porsche systems installed that may be in a 'sport mode'.

I incorrectly stated that I drive most of the time in PASM off mode. What I should have said is I keep it in the normal mode (PASM light off on center console) most of the time even when I am driving with the Sport Chrono "Sport" mode ON. I prefer this setup in most driving conditions. I do switch the PASM to "Sport" (PASM light on) when I am driving in a more sporty manner. Thanks for pointing out my incorrect terminology! "Sport Mode" has more than one meaning when you also have the Sport Chrono Package.

+1 on C2 or C2s as daily driver, no problem here except on expensive frequent tire changes...

Quote:
    planenuts4speed said:
    Quote:
    Minok said:
    Quote:

I incorrectly stated that I drive most of the time in PASM off mode. What I should have said is I keep it in the normal mode (PASM light off on center console) most of the time even when I am driving with the Sport Chrono "Sport" mode ON. I prefer this setup in most driving conditions. I do switch the PASM to "Sport" (PASM light on) when I am driving in a more sporty manner. Thanks for pointing out my incorrect terminology! "Sport Mode" has more than one meaning when you also have the Sport Chrono Package.

I wonder if the standard suspension of the C2 is all we need. Whether driver or occasional sporty outings.
    It seems to me that if you drive most the time in "normal" mode the std susp will be just fine.
    Now since with the C2S PASM comes in as a std feature the point is not relevant. But now that people are wondering if they should get the 997.2 C2 or C2S, is PASM really bringing a cutting edge advantage over std suspension?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690446 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409726 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255966 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235261 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858379 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774654 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM