Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

MB SLC Gullwing PIX

The question is if this the car that Nick saw ?

Re: MB SLC Gullwing PIX

Judging by the way he described it and these pictures (although heavily camo'ed), I'd say yes.

The car's got a much longer hood than I expect though. Looking forward to seeing the final industrial design.

Looks like a damn viper/s2000~

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Earlier in its chassis and engine development stage, it was running around in slightly modified Viper "clothes."

I was suspect the platform is similar and some parts were pulled out of the Viper bin before Merc sold it off.

huiii thats what I call a camoflage...

...that`s what I call "selling off your history". I saw it already in todays article in german ams.

Unbelievable that MB is really doing that. The 50s 300SL (gullwing & roadster) was a technical milestone, a real sportscar, unique in its style and now a well deserved alltime classic.

The new one will share technic and motor with other cars, set up for volume sales. Any sports spirit will be broken by weight and an automatic-gear as used in taxis (as seen in SL, SLR or CLK Black series).

Quote:
    kashmir said:
    The new one will share technic and motor with other cars, set up for volume sales. Any sports spirit will be broken by weight and an automatic-gear as used in taxis (as seen in SL, SLR or CLK Black series).

No it won't. The engine will be paired up with the MCT transmission from the new SL63 AMG and it's an excellent gearbox.

Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    kashmir said:

No it won't. The engine will be paired up with the MCT transmission from the new SL63 AMG and it's an excellent gearbox.

The machine is the one used in CLK63, E63, S63, SL63...just pimped up. So not really exclusive. It said to be a double clutch tranny...lets see. Most MBs are good in straight forward accelartion, but not in really track dynamic.

Quote:
    kashmir said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    kashmir said:

The machine is the one used in CLK63, E63, S63, SL63...just pimped up. So not really exclusive.

Not exactly so. The 6.2L V8 will be retired after the SLC, it will be the last model to have that engine. The 6.2L will be replaced by 4.0L & 5.0L turbo/twin turbo in Merc's future lineups.

Merc is going all turbo just like BMW & audi.

Quote:
    kashmir said:
    Quote:
    Emperor said:
    Quote:
    kashmir said:

Most MBs are good in straight forward accelartion, but not in really track dynamic.

The SLC won't be much different. Although it will have the performance to outshine the SLR it will be the type of car you buy primarily for it's striking looks rather than performance. It's a niche Mercedes are covering, sports car which are fully usable on an everyday basis.

So what's the starting price ? $500k ?

Quote:
    kashmir said:

Unbelievable that MB is really doing that. The 50s 300SL (gullwing & roadster) was a technical milestone, a real sportscar, unique in its style and now a well deserved alltime classic.

Maybe the will make it electric!:D
    That would ensure its place in MB history books.

$200,000 more likely. Note that the SLC will have a short production run. It will stop production by the time the next gen SL is released.

It is a technical mule for the next gen SL too, sharing the aluminium construction.

I actually saw an authentic and well-used Gullwing at a gas station here recently, a German car on a business trip (!) to Czech. We had a little chat with the owner and the waved it off. It had cream color, was in 90% condition overall and just shined. Everybody was taking pictures.

Despite all the camouflage that is the car I saw. It is the coupe version because the roadster does not have gull wing doors.

As I reported earlier, it has a very long hood and short backside. Almost has a footprint of a gym shoe. The styling changes they made after my first view a year ago have made the car much more attractive when I viewed it a month ago.

The price of the car will be well under $200,000 and will be limited production. A pretty good deal considering you get 565hp, seven speed F1 type transmission, high performance exhaust and suspension.

well one thing I like already is the size, cars are/were getting so darn big, but it seems that many makers are getting a bit smaller,ferrari, this car, etc. Big cars at least where I live are fine for the highway, but backroads make them useless.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Here are pic's of that car from a few months ago. You think it looks like a Viper now... they've come a long way:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=415971&an=0&page=26#415971

Is this what it will look like?

^^
    No.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The price of the car will be well under $200,000 and will be limited production. A pretty good deal considering you get 565hp, seven speed F1 type transmission, high performance exhaust and suspension.

Can you elaborate more ont he specs, the gearbox and the engine.

Thanks.

Aren't the door mirrors too big or is it just me?

Quote:
    SlvSurfer said:

Nothing on the exterior is finalized. It's a bunch of camo designed to throw off the true body lines to snoops.

Looks like the next Batmobile.

looks like a lot of headaches waiting to happen.

but it has potential

The mirrors will definitely be big cause it is the EU stupid new rule.
    Sports cars will have a hard time being sleek with c-klass like Dumbo ears/mirrors.

Just look at California Lexus stile ones.
    (one more Lexus detail)

Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:
    SlvSurfer said:

Nothing on the exterior is finalized. It's a bunch of camo designed to throw off the true body lines to snoops.

The car has been finalized. They are only decided the name. MB wants to distinguish this car by making it a performance SPORT car and not a GT car like the rest of their cars.

BTW the picture displayed by Joerockhead is NOT accurate. THough there are similarities to the front grill, the rest of the car is not even close.

Quote:
    shin said:

Not exactly so. The 6.2L V8 will be retired after the SLC, it will be the last model to have that engine. The 6.2L will be replaced by 4.0L & 5.0L turbo/twin turbo in Merc's future lineups.

The 6.2 engine is not going anywhere soon. It's still a brand new engine developed by AMG to be used in the long term. It's a robust engine that can support various configurations.

The MCT is NOT a dual clutch setup or anything close to that. It's still a REGULAR automatic gearbox, only difference is that Mercedes replaced the torque converter with a multiplate clutch. So instead of having a torque converter soaking up power, it will have a manual like direct feel because of the clutch setup, but with a quicker gear change speed.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    shin said:

The 6.2 engine is not going anywhere soon. It's still a brand new engine developed by AMG to be used in the long term. It's a robust engine that can support various configurations.

The MCT is NOT a dual clutch setup or anything close to that. It's still a REGULAR automatic gearbox, only difference is that Mercedes replaced the torque converter with a multiplate clutch. So instead of having a torque converter soaking up power, it will have a manual like direct feel because of the clutch setup, but with a quicker gear change speed.

Guess again, from the horse's mouth :

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/AMGs-secret-war-chest/

" A mere 12 months after the launch of the acclaimed high-revving big-bore V8, AMG is tweaking its engine philosophy again. Why? Because the 6.2-litre unit lacks power and torque compared to the now defunct 5.5-litre Kompressor motor.

AMG engines lack power and torque, you say? Are you mad?!

Yes, we'd rarely call any AMG product under-nourished, but these guys at Affalterbach have a different take on brutality. They point out that the latest 6.2 has horrendous full-throttle consumption and emission figures. And it's telling that Audi and BMW are also about to abandon their normally aspirated bent eights. "

and P.S. I never said anything about MCT being dual clutch, I know it is not. I do not know why you brought it up on me.

Mercedes has also patented CLK 450, the twin turbo version of the 3.5L V6.

The 6.2 lirew lacks power and torque? Not in my C63!!! Anymore power and torque and I won't be able to drive it day to day...but then again the C63 is the smallest and lightest car in the lineup to use this engine.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813334 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453086 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273210 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92085 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9523 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891812 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851185 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM