Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Car damage in transport - Help

My Basalt turbo cab had been held up at port for "inspection" apparantly as there had been a hail storm in germany befor leaving. Today I got the message that they had "repaired" the car.

"Porsche had German and North American teams inspected the cars for their condition. They found light surface damage to you car on the hood, front right fender, passenger door and right rear quarter panel. These areas were repaired with pointless dent removal to factory quality levels. The right front headlight and right tail light were replaced.

The work was done by Porsche and is considered factory but, I wanted you to know what the delay was. "

What now? Is it as good as new? Do I take it? Is there adjustments? Long term issues?

Suggestions? Help!!

Re: Car damage in transport - Help

Well I would not give them any $$$$ until I saw the car.
    "Factory quality levels" can mean many different things.
    After inpsection I woulfd have the Dealer use one of those gizmos that measure paint thickness to insure all areas are up to spec.. If you have any doubts, as hard as this may sound..Don't accept the car.

sorry to here that....hmmm, either an at cost discount or try to get them to make you another one tomorrow...guess the damage history would follow the car and greatly affect resale....just me but i wouldnt take delivery....hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction

Sad story..

The paintless dent removal usually works great,i had a minor dent in the passenger door last year,and the guy did a great job,now i'm not able to find where the dent was
    That guy tell me sometimes he go at Mercedes in germany or at other brands' factory to remove hail storm dent,and the car then will be sold like new..becouse they are really like new..

So,i can tell you the advice to see the car before to take some money out,and then decide..if is perfect like how i think you can take it,but try to ask a discount etc....
    and instead if you are not satisfied,don't take it at home,you know that the car costs a lot,and if all times you look at it you see something that doesn't leave a big grin on your face,is better to change the order and wait for another one..

good luck

I could be wrong but I don't think the damage history follows the car in this case. I'm sure there are LOTS of cars that suffer all kinds of damage at the port, in transport, etc.

Kudos for your salesguy being honest - he probably didn't have to say anything. I would inspect the car closely, however.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    I could be wrong but I don't think the damage history follows the car in this case. I'm sure there are LOTS of cars that suffer all kinds of damage at the port, in transport, etc.

Kudos for your salesguy being honest - he probably didn't have to say anything. I would inspect the car closely, however.

They actually DO *have to* disclose this.

Relax, it's no biggie. You'll probably do more damage to the car while it's in your ownership while just driving.

Just make sure the repairs are up to snuff and the paint thickness and matching is spot on.

Then pay your money, take your car for a drive, and use liberal amounts of right pedal.

In a month you'll forget about the silly port damage.

Now if you plan on making this car a Concourse entry, well, that's a different story.

What I've been told a few years ago, source unclear at this point--it was related to an incident with my BMW 550i, so please check accuracy and correct me if necessary:

If there is minor damage (they use some percentage calculation IIRC-how, I don't know), no report needed.

If there is more extensive damage, past a certain "point" dealers have to report to buyers.

The salesperson **IMHO** is NOT "being nice" to you. I believe damage is severe enough that he is obligated to report. The way I think about it, if the salesperson tells you something that legally he's not required to, and that may cause you to decline the car, he would get into trouble with the manager.

My vote, and I know it's just me: If you are AT ALL bothered by this mess (and from the emoticons used and the questions you asked, it seems you are, greatly): Turn down this car. I would.

Probably not a biggie, just see it first.

What is puzzling is most of these vehicles are covered in foam paper that is thicker than paper towels, but not as thick as microfiber. Must've been some big hail to cause dings, or else the car was not covered.

I understand what you are going through; I just recieved my 997TT last Friday and the first thing is I took it to Premier to get the whole front covered with a clear bra. Well upon inspection, I found a .5mm paint chip on the passenger door edge and a very small nick just above the spoiler. I was also pissed since I did not do a through inspection as I was way to exicited. I called the dealer and he will touch up and buff down the chip on the door edge and since the nick is part of the front bumper, it's replacable and I'm sure more damage will be done.....in any rate, waiting another 7 months is way to long and no guarantee it will happen again. If you're satisfied, go for it. The performance out weights the stuff you mentioned and you'll forget about it in a week.

Let's get a poll going; I bet there are a butch of folks that don't get 100% perfect TT's. Anyone willing to fess up! What's your experience?

Mine wasn't perfect at delivery and even almost a year later, I managed to find a few paint defects. My dealership has happily fixed them all for me though. That still doesn't stop me from being surprised at how poor the paint quality control. I would've thought that Porsche would have better control over that.

What is going on w/ all this hail? This past Sunday my wife & I were out in the F430 & it started pouring. Then it started to hail, I mean HAIL quarter sized ice. I managed to turn right into a golf course & slid right under a huge tree so the hail wasnt hitting my car directly but man I was scared as hell my car was going to be screwed up. After it stopped I drove home & I pulled it into the garage, I didnt even want to look, I knew I wouldnt be able to tell the extent of the damage if any till I could take the car outside in the dry & wash it. So that's what I did yesterday & there was no damage whatsoever but man the sound of hail hitting the aluminum roof sounded bad, really bad. I cant imagine how big hail has to be to dent steel & break headlights, tail lights but it must have been huge. If they are only using suction as a means to remove the dents then it should be fine. If they need to push out the panels then it could also be fine, depending on where they needed to access, sometimes you can get at them without drilling holes, other times not. Look the car over completely, look for any indication of a plugged hole, it could be a rubber stopper or a painted over one. You really have to go over the entire car especially the door jam because the rear quarter was damaged & sometimes if they didnt use suction but pushed the dent out from the inside they drill a hole in order to get the tool into the body panel. Hopefully they will be able to explain the exact procedure (I would ask them) & the exact locations of any fix (this will make it much easier for you to judge) Try to get them to be as specific as possible as to exactly what method was used & the exact areas worked on. They may not have painted anything but you need to confirm. If they had to paint it's a bigger deal breaker imo especially w/ Basalt. Everything depends on how badly it was damaged, the methods used to fix it & how it looks outside in the sunlight (make sure you have good light conditions that day) I wouldnt make a judgement call right then & there (maybe sleep on it) unless you are totally sure. It really depends on a lot of things but I would probably have a tough time taking the car but everyones different in terms of what bothers them or not. If anything by telling them you dont want it, at least you'll know exactly how far they will be willing to reduce the price. Good luck!

If Cannga's explanation applies in your case and the dealership had to inform you due to the extend of damage, I would consider the legal options you have and consult an experienced coachbilder, all prior to delivery since you would have to deal with Porsche and PCNA and most probably not with the dealer in any case of complaint.

If this happened at the oversea port in Northern Germany, the Volkswagen plant at Emden suffered from the same hailstorm a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck anyways!

My biggest worry is that it is a black car and will show every defect. I have had great luck with paint-less dent repair on black cars, but the paint has never been 100% in every light, from every angle. I would look at the car in daylight from a number of angles and also in fluorescent light using the fluorescent light tubes to look for small ripples. If you are happy, then take the car. If not, then order another one.

Paint Inspection Link

Thanks to all for their input, Car is on the truck and so hope to view it tommorrow. I will look at it very carefully and take Stradale's advice and sleep on it. I would hope the dealer (who has been very good on this and all other matters in getting this car, will reduce price. Harder to take it without some give from their part. If it's not evident I probably will take it, don't want to wait for another - and at that would be an 09 (different topic). I'm sure as others have suggested that I will do some damage over the course of the cars life with me too, and as Stradale points out hail is out there, and can get us.

Here is the "official report" from Porsche to the dealer. I'm no sure they (dealer) will have more details on how the repairs were done.

Dear Porsche Dealer:

The vehicle shown above was damaged while at the port in Germany which is restricted to surface impact from hail. The following was completed before shipment to your dealership and is noted below:

Damage areas: Panels-hood, r/f fender, r/f door, r/ 1/4 panel.

Replaced parts: include headlight and tail light

Repaired areas: Repaired panels were completed with a paint-less dent repair process

Refinished: front bumper

All items were resolved at the Porsche port operation in Baltimore, MD.

A joint PAG/PCNA Quality Control Team inspection was completed for all affected Porsche vehicles.

For information purposes the estimated expense of the damage is: $1950.00

The estimated expense of the parts replaced is: $860.00

The Total estimated expense is: $2810.00

Thanks for insights. Pictures will follow when (if??) I take the car.

Good flourescent light will show everything. One person in thread indicated to use that. All good dentless guys work in good flourescent light. Usually, regular light will hide quite a few flaws.

If it were me, I would not take it unless they sold it at dealer invoice or below assuming that the repairs are perfect. It is an unfortunate incident but you are talking about a high dollar "dream car". If they don't discount big they should expedite a new car at a special price for your inconvenience and long wait.

Quote:
    AK997TT said:
    If it were me, I would not take it unless they sold it at dealer invoice or below assuming that the repairs are perfect. It is an unfortunate incident but you are talking about a high dollar "dream car". If they don't discount big they should expedite a new car at a special price for your inconvenience and long wait.

I have a big picture of that leverage existing.

that sounded like a lot more damage than oh, by the way this happened....broken lights??, as stradale indicated it takes a lot of hail to seriously damage a car....id have lasting remorse as soon as i drove off with it.

If they get you a new car just be sure it is a dry sump motor and not the upcoming wet sump POS.

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:
    If they get you a new car just be sure it is a dry sump motor and not the upcoming wet sump POS.

When will it end?

DRY SUMP GT1 block CONTINUES for TT's in '09!

Any block change is not due until MY2010 for TT.

Man it's tough...real tough..you waited so long. it arrives. it's the last GT1 block motor of its kind...it may become historical one day...hmmmmm.. if it remains "factory condition" in all its paper work, and you're happy when seeing it after a thorough inspection..take it. You're going to drive it, you're going to love it.

i bet they wont give much warning as to when my2010 begins, order taking stops and the pos new age design/motor begins

Hey zman,

Any update on this...did it come it, how is it?

I would just take the car if it's fixed, try and get some form of compensation, but still take the car and call it a day. Within a week of getting mine, I must have gotten 4-5 dings, including a palm sized one in the top of my left fender, a dentless guy at DD took care of it, can't even tell.

Not to thread jack, but no one knows if the new engine/block will be a "POS". There is such a thing as an integrated oil sump. The tank does not have to be outside of the motor to have most or all of the benefits of the traditional dry sump.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Not to thread jack, but no one knows if the new engine/block will be a "POS". There is such a thing as an integrated oil sump. The tank does not have to be outside of the motor to have most or all of the benefits of the traditional dry sump.

Agreed - No one knows, and no one will know, until the 'new' block is proven and out for a while. There's so much BS flying around on this now, I would not even read it.

Yes, the GT1 block is great, yes it's race proven, and yes it will remain for the '09 TT. On MY 2010, the block is rumored to change. Do you think Porsche would put a POS in their highest profit top-end car? I personally doubt it, but since no one knows and there is no factual info out from Porsche yet, only time will tell.

Brief update. Car is in and there is no visible evidence of damage, Soooo - I took it, no way I could wait for another. Discussions are ongoing with Porsche about "compensation", and they are "understandably concerned" about setting precedent for future liability as damage in transport or at the factory (which is how the time in transport is classified technically I have learned) has obviously occured before and frequently was not disclosed.

The car looks great, have 200 miles on it already, is in for the clear bra treatment and I'll post pics soon

So far have spent the time getting to know the car a little and haven't pushed it too much. Clearly different than my M5. Trying to follow some of the breakin advice posted. Fortunately haven't come across any "racers" as Kamal has, know it's a matter of time.

Dealer has been great, although no breaks or discounts yet(threw in the mats) salesman reports he is advocating for me with Porsche, (and I mostly believe him) and I'm trying to take the position of lets all be reasonable about this. I did check with a collision speciatly group about reduced value and they thought that because its not a collision and there is no chance mechanical damage the decrease would be less, but the balance of a very expensive car (vs. econobox) and they suggested the lost value should be around 5%.

I'll let you know as more comes in and post pics in a separate thread and I did a custom red black interior and had lots of help especially from the Groom and Atomic.

Congrats are in order then , glad the car looks great and that they are trying to do something about it...

Cant wait to see the pics.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688869 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408851 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234844 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65440 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857701 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773617 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM