Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Michelin ZP

Michelin will soon offer PS2 ZP (as in zero-pressure), in various sizes and possibly in Carrera sizes. My understanding is that these tires are excellent, and have the additional benefits of runflats and blowout resistance. Who will be the first Carrera owner to try them?

Re: Michelin ZP

Will Porsche offer them as an "N" spec tire option?

good. then may be the next f#@*ing nail i catch in the side wall will not cost me $500.

Quote:
    bvineyards said:
    good. then may be the next f#@*ing nail i catch in the side wall will not cost me $500.

Runflats will not solve that. Sidewall punctures still require tire replacement.

Runflats provide peace-of-mind for run-of-the-mill punctures, which will allow you to drive home (up to 100 miles). And... runflats do not seem to suffer from blowouts.

LeChef asked if PAG will sanction these M-PS2-ZP with an N-rating... I do not know.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    LeChef asked if PAG will sanction these M-PS2-ZP with an N-rating... I do not know.

From past experience PAG will be the last to apply a new technology or sanction a new product.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

From past experience PAG will be the last to apply a new technology or sanction a new product.

Indeed. They either let other manufacturers test / prove a product, or sometimes make their best customers do it to everyones' dissatisfaction, as with PCCB gen 1.

Porsche on a run-flat tire, I don't think so. BMW was the first company and they have the most experience, but it took a few years before they started to get it right. The first sporty car from BMW that didn't crash around when I drove it is the 1-series coupe, so it's just recent.

Also, the M3 gets regular Pilot Sports because the runflats wouldn't work.

In this respect, if the M division says runflats are no good for sports cars, maybe Porsche will say the same.

Having said that, I recenlty had a puncture on my BMW and thanks to the runflats, I could finish my business that day, drive all over the place on the bad tire and have it fixed in the afternoon.

It was a real delight. But not the exact sort of compromise I would want on the GT3.

Quote:
    bvineyards said:

I got a cost-free tire warranty when I bought my Michelins (will cover nail punctures and any other damage)

I got a cost-free tire warranty when I bought my Michelins (will cover nail punctures and any other damage)

i will look into that today. never thought of it. thanks for the info!

As far as I'm concerned the rims have to ensure the deflated tire will not get of, therefore one cannot simply convert to run-flat tires. Furthermore the stiffer sidewalls have to be considered, as Marek said BMW had to adapt the cars' suspension to cope with this.

On performance cars, only GM offers these tires on the Corvette and this shouldn't come without a reason.

I ordered a 997.2 with spare tyre set including jack.

The spare sits on the rear seat!!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    On performance cars, only GM offers these tires on the Corvette and this shouldn't come without a reason.

Aren't the F-cars also equipped with Runflats

Quote:
    bvineyards said:

i will look into that today. never thought of it. thanks for the info!

I believe some tire store do offer tire insurance at around $30 - $40 per tire. I got that for the wife's ML at $25/tire from Big O. If you can trust Big O with yours, you can get it from them.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:... Furthermore the stiffer sidewalls have to be considered,...

Low-profile PS2s have stiff sidewalls too. Perhaps as stiff as runflats.

Runflats are very heavy.

Increases un-sprung weight, negatively effecting handling.

Re: Runflats are very heavy.

I was watch a video yesterday, although it was all in Japanese that I do not understand, but I think the new Nissan GTR come in run-flats...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Wa3K50l5s&feature=related&locale=en_CA&persist_locale=1

fast forward the video to 5:15sec... it shows you that Nissan staff let all the air out of the tires and have the TV person drive it onto the track...

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    bvineyards said:

I had that with our first Boxster, but shortly after that the insurance was discontinued by Porsche here in the UK.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    I ordered a 997.2 with spare tyre set including jack.

The spare sits on the rear seat!!

What size spare tyre are you using?

For spare tire sake, it may well not be needed much unless you get a side-wall issue. Driving my VW Golf over the gravel/cattle guard paved road that is a pass near Salmon, Idaho this past week and having a bit of fence wiring puncture a rear tire to flatness (a good 2 inches of it still sticking out of the tread at an angle), I was able to use the 'fix-a-flat can' type sealant/inflater to get the tire back up to 80% or so and drive the remaining 35 miles into the nearest town to have a tire shop there put a proper patch on the tire (in the tread no less). And that was with 3 people in the car.... but only doing about 45mph once I hit pavement again.

So I'm more confident in trusting the newest 'on the road' patching goops and an inflater these days. But, having a spare is key if you get a sidewall cut and don't want to wait the hours for a tow to get you... (where you end up being in a shop that will have to have the replacement tire fedex'ed in.

You guys who LIKE runflats must only travel in urban areas...They have potential for life-threatening risk where I live as a sidewall 'failure' in -20F rural, no cell phone coverage, no P-car friendly towing areas leave you unable to help yourself, and no one able to help you. A tire shop capable of dealing with big rims may be hours away.

A better way will have to be found, as I, at least, will never own a vehicle with runflats as we now know them.

Contradiction

Quote:
    daking said:
    You guys who LIKE runflats must only travel in urban areas...They have potential for life-threatening risk where I live as a sidewall 'failure' in -20F rural, no cell phone coverage, no P-car friendly towing areas leave you unable to help yourself, and no one able to help you. A tire shop capable of dealing with big rims may be hours away.

A better way will have to be found, as I, at least, will never own a vehicle with runflats as we now know them.

This seems like a contradiction. If I lived in the country I would want runflats. Even sidewall failure would mean I could drive it to the nearest town or for a few days until the new tire came in.

If I drive standard tires and I get sidewall failure in the country, then I'm truly f*cked. The glue won;t work on the sidewall. I can't drive anywhere, and I have to wait for the tow truck (no flatbed available) to come and tow me to the nearest town. In -20F that's not too healthy a proposition.

I for one would like Porsche to either offer a mini spare as standard or to offer runflats so I can avoid being stranded "out there".

Re: Contradiction

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Quote:
    daking said:

This seems like a contradiction. If I lived in the country I would want runflats. Even sidewall failure would mean I could drive it to the nearest town or for a few days until the new tire came in.

If I drive standard tires and I get sidewall failure in the country, then I'm truly f*cked. The glue won;t work on the sidewall. I can't drive anywhere, and I have to wait for the tow truck (no flatbed available) to come and tow me to the nearest town. In -20F that's not too healthy a proposition.

I for one would like Porsche to either offer a mini spare as standard or to offer runflats so I can avoid being stranded "out there".

Precisely!

Runflats do not have sidewall failures and are far less prone for blowouts at speeed. Modern runflats have great grip and are not any harsher than a standard low-profile PS2.

I have a spare on my'01, so I'm fine with being able to help myself.

Maybe I haven't used the right words re 'sidewall failure'.....if I hit a sharp-edged rock or piece of metal, will a runflat do so if the the tire is heavily damaged?

Quote:
    daking said:
    I have a spare on my'01, so I'm fine with being able to help myself.

Maybe I haven't used the right words re 'sidewall failure'.....if I hit a sharp-edged rock or piece of metal, will a runflat do so if the the tire is heavily damaged?

Runflat will keep rolling. Regular tire will shred itself all over the wheel arch.

Wish I had gotten the same deal when I re-equipped my 997S with a new set of PS2's. They are great tires, but I worry about longer distance trips without a spare or run flats, and I really don't want to take up all the space with a spare tire.

Jim

For the uninitiated (ie dumb old me) what are PS2's? I ask because in the tire naming world P and S can apply to several brand/model combinations?

Quote:
    Minok said:
    For the uninitiated (ie dumb old me) what are PS2's? I ask because in the tire naming world P and S can apply to several brand/model combinations?

PS2 as in Michelin PS2 Summer tire.

Groovy... now if I recall from some discussion I heard many years ago, there's some disadvantage to the high sidewall strength of the run-flat type tires, right? (not that they exist in sizes to put on a 997 yet)

Quote:
    Minok said:
    Groovy... now if I recall from some discussion I heard many years ago, there's some disadvantage to the high sidewall strength of the run-flat type tires, right? (not that they exist in sizes to put on a 997 yet)

I'm not so sure that is as detrimental today. The low-profile tires (PS2) used in 997 s today have very stiff sidewalls too.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754578 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431310 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258808 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255764 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79772 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868768 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802611 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM