Crown

Board: Lotus Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Lotus "Eagle" unveiled

yellow pshopped

orange pshopped

Although this picture looks more like a drawing I think the car will look very good in real.
    Hope so, Lotus needs it.

Design
    Designed in-house by Lotus Design, Head of Design, Russell Carr, explains "Project Eagle's dynamically sculptured form and dramatic proportions communicate visual drama, speed and agility even when the car is standing still. Sportscars are primarily an emotional rather than a rational purchase and so the design must seduce with its beauty and distinctive character. However, the modern customer also demands that the product offers real-world usability as well as exotic imagery. Therefore every element of the car's exterior and interior has been carefully designed to create a product that offers comfort and convenience as well as traditional performance car attributes."

A design language of dynamic lines and fluid surfaces that flow from the 'Lotus -mouth' and over the length the cars toned form are unmistakably 'modern Lotus'. They instantly convey a sense of agility and athleticism that is intrinsic to the car's driving persona. On Project Eagle they are complemented by the distinctive wraparound visor screen but have been subtly tailored to suit the more sophisticated character of the car, optimise high-speed aerodynamics and artfully disguise the unique 2+2 layout. The cab forward proportion combines with muscular haunches and optimised intake detailing to instantly inform the viewer that this is a serious mid-engine sportscar. Elsewhere a Lotus philosophy for combining function with beauty is evident in the downforce generating, top exit radiator vent, rear diffuser and rear wing.

Inside the car the forms echo the exterior with fast moving surfaces that wrap around the cockpit cosseting the occupants, the contrast colour band that flows from the instrument cluster and sweeps around the cabin highlights this theme. "We recognise that 'touch' not only assists with driving enjoyment but also conveys messages about quality and therefore great attention has been paid to all the areas where the driver interfaces with the car." Carr explains. Figure hugging adjustable sports seats and flat-bottomed steering wheel instantly communicate the driving potential of the car.

Project Eagle employs premium quality material and finishes to create an exclusive, British handcrafted ambience that is unique in this price segment. Modern, precision engineered aluminium inserts and hi-fi quality, edge-lit switches are brilliantly juxtaposed against the traditional contrast stitched leather panels.

Everyday convenience is catered for through ergonomically located touch screen SAT NAV, remote release glove box, storage bins and integrated "cup holders".

Technology
    In a world launch by partners Alpine, Project Eagle boasts a truly cutting edge in-car entertainment and navigation system. The multi-media system features a 7in touch-screen providing advanced audio, satellite navigation, Bluetooth hands-free telephone and iPod(R) connectivity functions; the screen also serves
    as a monitor for Project Eagle's optional reversing camera. The satellite navigation element of the system has a removable hard-drive, allowing you to programme it from the comfort of your home or use it as a roaming satellite navigation unit and MP3 player. The Alpine audio set-up is one of the most sophisticated automotive system in the world. Called IMPRINT and using MultiEQ sound enhancement technology, it is able to cancel out imbalances in the sound caused by different areas of the cabin - window glass, for instance, creates echoes, while carpets suppress mid-range frequencies - resulting in amazingly crisp, clear, undistorted sound reproduction wherever you are seated in the car.

A bespoke progressive air-conditioning system developed by Bergstrom is standard on all models, while on-board tyre pressure monitoring will be either standard or optional depending on model and market. And in deference to the American market in particular, a module in the headlining will accommodate automatic garage and gate opening remote controls. Interior space and accommodation The rear seats of 2+2 versions of Project Eagle are intended for children or smaller adults on short journeys. To maximise comfort in the rear, there is foot-room under the seats in front, while both back seats feature ISOFIX mountings for secure child seat fitment.
    When unoccupied, the rear seats provide a convenient stowage area for briefcases and jackets, adding to Project Eagle's appeal as an everyday car.

The boot, which ingeniously features a fresh air cooling system to reduce the effect of heat ingress from the engine bay, will accommodate a set of golf clubs.

A two-seater derivative of Project Eagle is planned and will have a luggage shelf in the back replacing the two rear seats.

Safety
    Lotus' Project Eagle conforms to all regulatory standards and in addition boasts additional safety features; Lotus aluminium chassis technology applied to Project Eagle's provides the car with immense inherent strength, particularly in regard to side impacts and a tubular steel seatbelt anchorage frame that also acts as a rollover structure.

Anti-lock brakes are standard on all models, as are traction and stability controls; these systems have been specially developed in co-operation with Bosch to provide enhanced safety features whilst maintaining performance characteristics.

Under the bonnet
    Lotus continues its excellent working relationship with Toyota, world leaders in engine development and manufacture and Formular1 competitors. For Project Eagle Lotus has modified Toyota's 3.5-litre V6, with dual VVT-i ('intelligent' variable valve timing) for optimum performance.

Performance
    At the time of unveiling, full performance figures for the new Lotus will not have been compiled on a production specification car, however Lotus has a further 6 months of development time to conduct these before Project Eagle is available to test drive. While for Lotus top speed is of less importance than stability at speed, early
    indications suggest a maximum speed of 160 mph; the 0-60 mph sprint from standstill is estimated at sub 5 seconds (prototype figures).

Booooooo!

Lotus could have made such a stylistic statement with this car. Hell, they could have even done a retro-cued, Espirit with more/less wedgieness...

Instead we get a warmed over Elise/Exige. Lazy. Uninspired. Lackluster.

Boooo Lotus! Boooo!

I will stick to a 911 for a 2+2 thanks...

Looks a bit like the Artega GT that's been around for quite awhile. (I think production is starting very soon for both)

It's Artega mixed with Nissan GTR. Just look at the shape of the canopy!

for a car I was looking forward to seeing these pics leave me very cold and underwhelmed

I just read on Autocar that it has a 3,5 liter Camry engine with just 280 hp. What the hell are they thinking? A 2+2 car with less power than a Cayman? I know it will be torquier, but do we want a La-Z-Boy Lotus? The original 350Z had that sort of engine and the engine was the single worst part of the whole car, it just wouldn't rev.
    I think the Eagle Evo III will be just about right from what they are introducing now, but this is very bad.
    I am a Lotus fan and have great memories of once driving an Elise S on Swiss Alpine roads, but I ask how this is possible.
    They got burned once not too long ago with the Europa, right?

Being Lotus, how about the weight? I suspect it would have exceptional handling / feel..

Quote:
    shin said:
    Being Lotus, how about the weight? I suspect it would have exceptional handling / feel..

Weight's a deceiving 1375 kg

Quote:
    Gauss said:
    Quote:
    shin said:

Weight's a deceiving 1375 kg

I can't believe it. Heavier than a Cayman S -
    Very disapointing...

Blueflame

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    It's Artega mixed with Nissan GTR. Just look at the shape of the canopy!

I agree. I saw the GTR resemblence in the cab section too.

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    I just read on Autocar that it has a 3,5 liter Camry engine with just 280 hp. What the hell are they thinking? A 2+2 car with less power than a Cayman? I know it will be torquier, but do we want a La-Z-Boy Lotus?

I'm sure the engine will be modified for use in a Lotus.
    Remember, torque is what you want - HP is for bragging to your friends. So a light car with a (realively) torquey engine should be very interesting.

I mean the Elise uses the Celica engine - which was actually developed by Yamaha.

Heist, I admire the Celica engine because it loves to rev. In a car like the Elise, you wouldn't expect anything else.
    But a meekly 280 hp out of 3,5 liters, c'mon. How is a Camry engine going to complement a car like a Lotus. True, I am talking about something I've never driven, but the numbers alone aren't adding up on what is to be the new Lotus car setting the company on a new track.

I reinstate my point about the original 350Z. 3,5 liters, 280 hp and the engine just wouldn't give you a buzz at all. It had the muscle to move the car, but it made you wish that Fiat or Alfa supplied it instead.

Have you ever had a chance to drive a 3,0 or 3,2 V6 Alfa engine? Relatively low on power in comparison to the Nissan I am talking about (230-250 hp), but absolutely uncompromised panache and a vibrant personality. It just transforms the car.

I don't think that just a different chip is going to do wonders with a Camry engine. I mean, a Camry? Jesus, what is the first thing you see when you say that name? I get a retiree home.
    They shouldn't even put that in the press release.

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    Heist, I admire the Celica engine because it loves to rev. In a car like the Elise, you wouldn't expect anything else.
    But a meekly 280 hp out of 3,5 liters, c'mon. How is a Camry engine going to complement a car like a Lotus. True, I am talking about something I've never driven, but the numbers alone aren't adding up on what is to be the new Lotus car setting the company on a new track.

I reinstate my point about the original 350Z. 3,5 liters, 280 hp and the engine just wouldn't give you a buzz at all. It had the muscle to move the car, but it made you wish that Fiat or Alfa supplied it instead.

Have you ever had a chance to drive a 3,0 or 3,2 V6 Alfa engine? Relatively low on power in comparison to the Nissan I am talking about (230-250 hp), but absolutely uncompromised panache and a vibrant personality. It just transforms the car.

I don't think that just a different chip is going to do wonders with a Camry engine. I mean, a Camry? Jesus, what is the first thing you see when you say that name? I get a retiree home.
    They shouldn't even put that in the press release.

Hmmm...I think your opinions are being shaded and influenced by the words "Toyota Camry." You have to seperate the econobox from the engine in your mind and look at it less wholistically.

They said:
    " Project Eagle Lotus has modified Toyota's 3.5-litre V6, with dual VVT-i ('intelligent' variable valve timing) for optimum performance."

To me, I read that as we've taken a rock solid reliable mill and changed the timing and cam lobes and made some internal lightening and components changes to make the engine more eager to spin up and push more power.

Of course along with that will come throttle remapping to make it more snappier and crisper on response. And sports car instead of sedan like, close ration gearing will add to the fun factor.

Porsche only gets 295 out of the 3.4L in the Boxster S. Nissan with the last gen VQ in the G35 got 305 out of the 3.5L V6.

So, I would fully expect Lotus to be in the 300hp+ range after their tweaking and exhaust. Hell, we all know - 99% of most production car engines are handicapped by 8%-12% by their manufacturers on purpose for the sake of fuel consumption and reliability. That's why a simple chip and exhaust can sometimes yield 20 hp before even opening the head.

In the end though, no one buys a Lotus for big HP numbers anyway. Lotus are all about slot car handling and feedback.

If they just said 3.0 - 280 hp V6, I'm sure

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Looks a bit like the Artega GT that's been around for quite awhile. (I think production is starting very soon for both)

Guys,

the Artega is a much smaller car in- and outside. The Lotus is a 2+2 seater, in fact weight and dimension appear very reasonable for such a concept. The car will look surprisingly elegant and sleek in reality and therefore enhances the range of purposes a Lotus can be used for. A sensible extension of the company's lineup and surely more appropriate than the Europa and possibly even the M250 concept presented a couple of years ago.

By the way, Lotus' new design language was already presented on this:

if that is the espirit successor, it's a horrible flop

Quote:
    racerx said:

it isn't.

more

I really ldo like the car, and it seems that it will have a very competitive price, so I may look closer to compare it to the new Boxster.

Quote:
    racerx said:

Like Gaus said it isn't.
    But if it was than it might be a flop like the 928 was compared to the 911. And the 928 WAS conceived as the 911 replacement but failed miserably at that task. (still love the 928 nevertheless)

Please people, how about cutting car manufactures (and certainly the ones whom are still trying to bring some passion to cars) some slack.

FYI , the new Esprit is still some years away and if this "Eagle" project is a failure I fear the Esprit will not happen. So lets hope for the best.
    Lotus was on of the "dream car" company's of the past.
    It would be nice if it could regain that status.
    There are enough Porsche's , Ferrari's and Lambo's in the world.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813332 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453084 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273210 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92085 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9522 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891811 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851177 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM