Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Design quest - Best exterior colours for the 997

Hi guys - and girls!

I am wondering what are the most appropriate colours for the new 911!

The 996 had very feminine (bar any aero kit etc.) curves and the outer shape was very sculptural.

In my eyes this was lost on the 997 and I do believe this happened on purpose. Light metallic colours don't seem to enhance the sculptural effect like they did on the 996 but let the higher number of kerfs and bulges become more prominent.

On darker colours this effect is always gone due to the lower amount of reflections and highlighted details. For example, on a black one you will hardly see the kerf that goes around the car at the bottom of the chassis, via the bumpers and the side sills. Only when highlighted e.g. with neon lights!

Anyways, there seem to be a few colours on the 996 that don't seem to fit on the new car - e.g. dark olive metallic, lapis blue, carmon red.

I'd say there is a conflict between the more prominent curvatures on the 997 and the comparably higher presence of these colours.

What do you think about it?

Which colours do you prefer on the new model?

Greetings!

Re: Design quest - Best exterior colours for the 997

There's been quite a lot of debate about this Ferdie - I have ordered a 997S in midnight blue with a blue interior but I'm seriously considering changing to a silver exterior as I think you lose the lines in the darker colours. I'm also thinking about guard's red but I'm slightly worried about the image of a bright red 911, as well as residuals and I'm a little sceptical about how the paint will last compared to metalics which tend to resist fading better than solid colours.

I am waiting til the launch here on 18 Sept before deciding - may just stick with what I've got unless it looks dreadful in darker colours.

Hey Senator,

as far as a salesman from Meguiar's told me, every solid colour in the recent 10 years has a clear colour coating just like metallic paint.

I think Midnight blue looks fine on the 997 but I would choose a lighter interior colour, e.g. grey or beige. There has been a picture of a 997 in Mid. blue and beige int. on this forum, you've probably seen it.

Guards Red looks surprisingly nice on the 997 though it should wear of faster in terms of attractiveness!

The best color is the one you like the most!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    ...I think Midnight blue looks fine on the 997 but I would choose a lighter interior colour, e.g. grey or beige. There has been a picture of a 997 in Mid. blue and beige int. on this forum, you've probably seen it...

Can somebody please point me to this link. I've been trying to search for pics of the 997 in Midnight Blue but have not had any luck.

Thanks in advance for any links.

Seal grey/ cocoa is what I posted a few weeks ago , using my imagination . Having seen that exact combo now on pg 71 ( and pgs 72/88/89 ) of the new US brochure it's definitely what I would spec on my 997 Turbo.

Re: Design quest - Best exterior colours for the 9

White or silver - silver is always good and I do not care if it's common.

Rasta, that's not what I was looking for but there is the exact same car on the bottom of the thread:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=42000&an=0&page=5#42000

I like black and sealgrey. But I wouldn't go for black because you can see any tiny scratch, dust particle, etc....horrible.
    I saw a yellow 997 and it looked weird. I also saw guards red which looks interesting and what might be a great color is slate grey, not available yet.
    Forget about any green colours, they look horrible on the 997. I also don't like the met. blue (sorry, don't remember the colour name) 997 Carrera S at my dealer too much.

White with dark sea blue interior / or tan

Quote:
    RC said:
    I like black and sealgrey. But I wouldn't go for black because you can see any tiny scratch, dust particle, etc....horrible.

RC, didn't you buy a black one?

What do you guys think is the BEST colour in your opinion? Am I right about dark metallic colours (not including black/grey "colourless colors") not being appropriate on the 997?

Why car should color be your favorite?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    White or silver - silver is always good and I do not care if it's common.

Should be the color which makes the sculptural quailities of the car most apparent. Those are lighter, neutral preferably silver, grey colors.

darker colors are good too, but there's less to see, which would be fine too, I guess.

The only problems I have is with "odd colors" like burgunday or green: they just seem too aribtrary.

Even though silver and grey are commonplace, they are still the best colors for the aesthetics of the car's form.

Too bad I feel "resigned" to choose those colors.

A nice Champagne color (silver with some yellow/gold added) would be a nice change to consider , I think

Re: Why car should color be your favorite?

Much of the revisions in the 997 ext design revolve around different shape and lines of the front hood and front / rear bumper caps , lower front intakes, wider hips and thicker running boards, even rear facing slats on engine cover , but the overall silhouette is the same . Those features would be obscured by dark colors like black so that car may look like 996 with new headlights to casual observer.

I have had three Silver 911s - one Polar Silver, two Arctic Silver. My 993 C2 and C4 in Silver were amazing, because you could see every contour around the front fenders especially.

I have ordered my 997S in Arctic Silver with Black Full Leather interior, but after seeing the Seal Grey with Sand Beige interior, I am trying to change my order. While I agree that Silver shows the lines of the car best, I am tiring of Silver on my cars and others all around me. My wife thinks Seal Grey is too, well, grey. I think it looks very rich and the Sand Beige interior adds to this richness without adding the heaviness of a dark interior. This is my opinion, but any color choice is a very personal thing.

The darker colors do tend to obsure the details of the cars contours. Again, my opinion. A champagne color would be a nice change.

I remember the very strange array of colors offered by Porsche and VW in the 1970s

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    A nice Champagne color (silver with some yellow/gold added) would be a nice change to consider , I think

Exactly my choice - there was a champagne / platinum colour available on the 993 - and I have seen it in a Sport Auto test on the first version 996 also! Does anybody know the exact colour name?

The 997 doesn't have the same scuplture effect as its predecessor. It is more nervous due to stronger bulges - it sure looks more dynamic but I honestly have to say that it doesn't look more modern in the front to me. I have the fear that it will wear out faster...

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Exactly my choice - there was a champagne / platinum colour available on the 993 - and I have seen it in a Sport Auto test on the first version 996 also! Does anybody know the exact colour name?

You mean Meridian metallic ? Color for 'Senior' porsche drivers

Yes, thanks. It seems to be Meridian which looks quite good in nature. I haven't found a decent picture on the web but checked out a 996 TT in this colour recently. Honestly an "old man's" colour?

By the way, what is the advertising disclosure law?
    Thanks in advance!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    MaxErnst said:

The 997 doesn't have the same scuplture effect as its predecessor. It is more nervous due to stronger bulges - it sure looks more dynamic but I honestly have to say that it doesn't look more modern in the front to me. I have the fear that it will wear out faster...

The best color of that ilk was called bronzit beige which BMW offered in late 1980s.

It was and still is the best incarnation of this color: it is classic or timeless; there's lots of similar colors since which didn't hold up as well, IMHO.

Quote:
    WF said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:

You mean Meridian metallic ? Color for 'Senior' porsche drivers

Ha, I've got it. It's not Meridian but Palladio Metallic, just like on this one:

http://www.mobile.de/SIDk7AskSdHsEOQHZ05...1141078009&

Greetings!

I liked the colour Porsche was promoting Carrera GT with--GT Silver Metallic. No other colour shows the contour of a car better than this colour, and that's why the 40th anniversary 911 was also promoted in this colour with Cocoa interior; it is a combination that the guys at Porsche seems to like very much. Other than that, I personally like Atlas Gray for it makes the 911 look very masculine, and to contrast the exterior a nice full leather interior in brown.

Quote:
    997C2S said:
    I liked the colour Porsche was promoting Carrera GT with--GT Silver Metallic. No other colour shows the contour of a car better than this colour, and that's why the 40th anniversary 911 was also promoted in this colour with Cocoa interior; it is a combination that the guys at Porsche seems to like very much. Other than that, I personally like Atlas Gray for it makes the 911 look very masculine, and to contrast the exterior a nice full leather interior in brown.

To be very precise the 40th Anniv. Carrera had Natural Black leather, the Boxster 550 Spider edition had the cocoa interior.

Anyways, Atlas grey and GT-silver are great colour choices - my only thought is that it might be a common colour right now but becomes unpopular pretty soon?

i had 7 silver cars in my life , now i am looking for change .i am getting my 997s this week in arctic silver ,and i made another order for december for a guards red 997s,black all leather interior , red stitching and red seat belts with a lot of options (30 k).on the pictures i saw guards red it looks really nice ,so a im going for it.
    anybody saw a guards red 997 live? opinions?

The most aggressive colors are red or yellow for sure. I think they are wonderful colors. Did you notive that in EVERY magazine EVERY 997 was red or yellow?

I would like to order one of these. But my wife convinced me to order a black one. She's worried enough regarding the neighbours. And the chance that a customer of mine recognize me is lower. Black is less attracting attention and looks much more elegant.

Of course it should be black metallic. You don't see every fingerprint and scratch.

Mmh. I just saw at the US car configurator that you don't have yet available red and black metallic. Maybe later. But therefor your cars are faster?? (Acceleration 4.6 sec instead of 4.8 sec. Is it because of transmission ratio or just conversion error?)

Quote:
    Seven said:

Mmh. I just saw at the US car configurator that you don't have yet available red and black metallic. Maybe later. But therefor your cars are faster?? (Acceleration 4.6 sec instead of 4.8 sec. Is it because of transmission ratio or just conversion error?)

this should be because in the us , they state 0 to 60mph ,and not 0 to 62 (62=100kph).of course power is the same

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    i had 7 silver cars in my life , now i am looking for change .i am getting my 997s this week in arctic silver ,and i made another order for december for a guards red 997s,black all leather interior , red stitching and red seat belts with a lot of options (30 k).on the pictures i saw guards red it looks really nice ,so a im going for it.
    anybody saw a guards red 997 live? opinions?

Haven't seen the car live - I am very fond of the yellow colour for the 997. I'd say your combination with black leather and red details are great also.

So what do you do with the silver one?

Quote:
    Seven said:
    I would like to order one of these. But my wife convinced me to order a black one. She's worried enough regarding the neighbours. And the chance that a customer of mine recognize me is lower. Black is less attracting attention and looks much more elegant.

What do you think about sealgrey? Looks even more elegant in my opinion!
    I personally don't think that Slate Grey and other special colours justify their price tag - if I would order a special colour I would choose the above mentioned Paladio Metallic from the 993!

Funny, but you're right! Black metallic is not available on the U.S. config. yet - Guards Red neither!

Ferdie, I think Seal Grey is a great color as well. Also very elegant. I have already a Quartz Silver Mercedes. I want to avoid to mix them up
    IMO Black is the most elegant color at all. (Did you ever see a state coach in Silver??) Together with a black interior. Looks great with this alu similar stuff. That's my favourite.

Quote:
    Seven said:
    Ferdie, I think Seal Grey is a great color as well. Also very elegant. I have already a Quartz Silver Mercedes. I want to avoid to mix them up ...

Oh yes, I can perfectly understand you...

What kind of options did you order for the black one? I have never achieved to get beyond 20-25k of options on that car! Out of curiousity, how much is the red stitching on the seats? Does it also include the one on the dashboard leather? Probably...

Ferdie, I will go for the cab. I'm on the waiting list. Maybe I will get it in April 2005.

Options is an unpleasant subject. I didn't intend to spend so much money. On the other
    hand I know I will regret not to order all this nice stuff.

So that's my plan: 997S Cab
    Black Metallic, Full leather black, speed control, ParkAssist, automatically dimming mirrors, Sport Chrono Plus, sports exhaust, wheel center set, heated seats, adaptive sports seats, crest embossed on head restraints, floor mats, navigation and factory collection.
    And no hard top. It will be an option because almost nobody used it.

Can't wait

I don't what's the deal with North American and dull colours. In Europe people like red and yellow on sports cars, and in North America they like grey. My dealer is telling me not to get a red interior, cause this is no Europe, and that I might have a hard time selling the car after few years. I said,"But it looks so nice, I saw it on Topgear." His answer was that, "North Americans are very boring and so are their choice in colour." BTW, my sales guy is Italian.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763850 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436177 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260897 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257862 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82579 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876587 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808530 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM