Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Battery tender advice

Just to satisfy my paranoia prior to hooking up, I'm going to put a "Battery Tender" on my 997 (it's sitting so much lately that the battery is now starting to lose its punch). It's a fully-automated unit that ultra-slow-charges, and then maintains storage charge and adjusts for temperature, and doesn't "cycle" which is bad...

Anyhoo, do you guys go to the trouble of unhooking your battery with these slow-trickle chargers? Seems unnecessary to me, this unit doesn't pack near the punch that my alternator does.

Just asking, looking for long-term experience rather than theoretical paranoia. Thanks!

Re: Battery tender advice

I've used the Porsche one, that plugs into the lighter socket, for years and it has worked well and kept my battery charged.

Get the one from Porsche, I too had problems with my battery as my daily commute is so short I was not keeping he battery fully charged. I got the Porsche one from my dealer for $69 and like 964C2 said, you just plug it into the lighter. Simple and effective.

The one I'm using is a unit that I stock and sell and maintain all of my old lead-acid batteries with (i.e. it's a bird-in-hand, and I believe it's no less in quality than the Porsche unit).

It's high-quality, I'm just seeking reassurance that I won't cause any electrical mayhem. But it's not any stronger in current than the Porsche unit, and if it's safe to plug that into the lighter and send through to the battery, it should be equally safe to just clip directly to the posts..

I use a Battery Tender and have done so for more than 2 years. I actually have the supplied pigtail hooked up to the battery terminals and routed so I don't have to remove the battery cover so all I do is plug in the connector from the maintainer itself. Have never had any problems.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Just to satisfy my paranoia prior to hooking up, I'm going to put a "Battery Tender" on my 997 (it's sitting so much lately that the battery is now starting to lose its punch). It's a fully-automated unit that ultra-slow-charges, and then maintains storage charge and adjusts for temperature, and doesn't "cycle" which is bad...

Anyhoo, do you guys go to the trouble of unhooking your battery with these slow-trickle chargers? Seems unnecessary to me, this unit doesn't pack near the punch that my alternator does.

Just asking, looking for long-term experience rather than theoretical paranoia. Thanks!

Have a battery Tender Plus on my F430 & 2 Harley's & other vehicles prior never disonnected the batteries.

Quote:
    jeffbco said:
    I use a Battery Tender and have done so for more than 2 years. I actually have the supplied pigtail hooked up to the battery terminals and routed so I don't have to remove the battery cover so all I do is plug in the connector from the maintainer itself. Have never had any problems.

Same here. On my bikes the wire sticks out just under the seat so I dont have to take the seats off to connect to the batteries. Same on my 430 it's right behind the seat so I just plug it in & dont have to get to the battery.

Thanks guys... I've got the pigtail, and I'll eventually hook that on there... I've just been going 200mph lately, one of the reasons I haven't been on here B.S.-ing much lately...

That's all I needed to know!

got the cheapy porsche tender model, seems to work great ...i.e. no problems in 2 winters...easy to plug into the passenger footwell aux socket

Check out link and learn.

They make Porsche's unit. They have excellent units and you can read why they are excellent units and what makes an excellent BM.

Enjoy!

link:

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Default.aspx

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    The one I'm using is a unit that I stock and sell and maintain all of my old lead-acid batteries with (i.e. it's a bird-in-hand, and I believe it's no less in quality than the Porsche unit).

It's high-quality, I'm just seeking reassurance that I won't cause any electrical mayhem. But it's not any stronger in current than the Porsche unit, and if it's safe to plug that into the lighter and send through to the battery, it should be equally safe to just clip directly to the posts..

The Porsche unit, the C-Tek, and the Battery Tender are all fine. They charge slowly and then they throttle back and just maintain - that is key. Others may not do that.

I rarely use mine, but I have a Battery Tender Jr. ($25 at Amazon) and that is plenty to maintain any of my cars' batteries.

Quote:
    69bossnine said: ... I've just been going 200mph lately, one of the reasons I haven't been on here B.S.-ing much lately...

Would you kindly fill us in? is it flying low or flying high?

Man, just a million balls in the air, and I'll admit it... A little scrambling to make sure all my banked assets are 100% FDIC insured... Things getting a bit nutty, trying to sort between valid concern and media-frenzy...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Man, just a million balls in the air, and I'll admit it... A little scrambling to make sure all my banked assets are 100% FDIC insured... Things getting a bit nutty, trying to sort between valid concern and media-frenzy...

Oh OK. I just thought you were actually driving 200MPH...

I've used the Porsche battery charger that plugs into the cig lighter or the passenger side pwr take off. Used it almost always as I don't drive the car frequently. Recently had starting problem(weak battery) and took the car in and was told one of the cells in the battery was dead. Don't know how w/ the charger!?! Had to get a new battery. Replaced under warranty.

Quote:
    WTL1 said:
    Recently had starting problem(weak battery) and took the car in and was told one of the cells in the battery was dead. Don't know how w/ the charger!?! Had to get a new battery. Replaced under warranty.

My 2006 997S killed a battery because it was drawing more current than it was supposed to draw when parked. They never solved the problem; I just kept it connected to the BM every time I parked it.

You probably know this but key MUST be removed when parked. Here's specced current draw when parked:

I fried a Battery Tender when a storm came through, so I 'cycle' charge vehicles, a few days on, then a few off.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    ... I've just been going 200mph lately, one of the reasons I haven't been on here B.S.-ing much lately...

So, you picked up a new GT-2 then?

No, it's far cheaper just to run-out 6th gear DOWNHILL in my S... Don't ask me where I find such a hill in Florida, it's a secret...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    No, it's far cheaper just to run-out 6th gear DOWNHILL in my S... Don't ask me where I find such a hill in Florida, it's a secret...

Hmm, please do share where such a hill in FL is. Maybe around Tallahassee?

While we're at it some of you guys might want to internalize the debate of a cheap chinese-made BM vs. top-of-the-line CTEK (Porsche) unit.

The Porsche manual (or delivery literature) advises us to only use the Porsche unit.

Think of how complex (expensive-to-repair) our delicate computer systems are in our cars. I'm going with the expensive CTEK unit to avoid the smell of fried silicon and resin even if it can only be detected at the molecular level.

CTEK is still made in China.

"Battery Tender" brand chargers are maintaining Jay Leno's batteries, Ralph Lauren... (and mine)... Seriously, I've seen 'em hooked to $1,000,000+ cars. I'm not seeing the need for a debate..

Quote:
    MMD said:
    While we're at it some of you guys might want to internalize the debate of a cheap chinese-made BM vs. top-of-the-line CTEK (Porsche) unit.
    The Porsche manual (or delivery literature) advises us to only use the Porsche unit.

Think of how complex (expensive-to-repair) our delicate computer systems are in our cars. I'm going with the expensive CTEK unit to avoid the smell of fried silicon and resin even if it can only be detected at the molecular level.

Sounds like you're trolling.

WTF? Trolling!? No. I'm not trying to debate this. Just saying you _might_ get what you pay for in terms of accidents.

Go to CTEK website. Or, read some electronics reviews of ICOM vs. Uniden marine equipment for example. Which would you rather rely on? Apollo went to moon with top notch Hasselblad, they _should?_ have taken Haminex Practica with them?

OTOH, I know there must be guys somewhere who have spent their last dime on their Porsches and therefore have to save every penny they can.

MMD, did you know that Deltran (Florida-based family-owned company that manufactures "Battery Tender") is the authorized manufacturer of BMW battery chargers?

I believe they are U.S. made, as they are very sturdily built, and have no "made in Taiwan" or "made in China" or "made in anywhere" stickers, as would be legally required if the units produced off-shore.

I'll again restate, Porsche can decide to buy some other charger, but Deltran has the busines of most all the high-end full-classic collectors in the U.S., most using their multi-bank units for keeping dozens upon dozens of rare NOS-case lead-acid batteries maintained.

The "debate" is unnecessary, both products are good, although I realize you have a soft-spot for anything Bavarian or perceived to be "up-market".

I'm glad BMW has given the units it's approval. I like it when engineers specifically involved with the manufacturing company are overseeing or otherwise looking out for their products and customers; they want happy owners.

I think my post was lost. I err on the recommended factory products when I can - but that's just me.

Anyway, I have just started using my trickle charger (dealer bought) and the red light has been on (as far as I can tell) for almost 24 hours. Is this common? Perhaps my battery was lower than I realized? Or, maybe the charger is faulty?
    Thanks folks!

I use Porsche trickle charger on my Cayenne and the red light is on all the time.

Quote:
    Hammy113 said:
    I use Porsche trickle charger on my Cayenne and the red light is on all the time.

Not good. Probably means battery is only getting a full charge when car is running.

Current draw when parked is probably higher than it's supposed to be.

Assuming Porsche charger is working properly: get car checked out.

Hummmmm..., interesting point you raise. The red indicator light is probably a good reason to get a _Porsche-approved_ maintainer.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813372 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453097 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273214 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92091 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891837 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851538 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM