Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Where Can I get aluminium gearlever / handbrake...

...without having to pay nearly Pounds1,500 to buy from Porsche tequipment? Crazily enough you can get black, sandbeige or terracota as part of a combined pack for around Pounds900 fitted. Ocean / sea blue, which is what I'm after is only available singly and combined they cost the crazy price quoted here. Any cheaper in any other markets? I'm going to the factory in October - reckon it might be cheaper to buy there? Cheers for any leads on this one.

Re: Where Can I get aluminium gearlever / handbrake...

Here's a nice aluminum shift knob from Rinspeed..$349.99
    http://www.nyxracing.com/rinspeed-aluminum-shift-knob-porsche-997-05-p-31172.html

Re: Where Can I get aluminium gearlever / handbrake...

Try carnewal.com he sells OEM parts for good prices. He can also get OEM parts in the more unique colours.

Interior -> P97. slightly cheaper than the 1500 pounds you quoted, but still expensive. I am afraid that is the price of admission for these frivolous Porsche mods

Send him an email and ask for a quote for sea blue aluminum shifter/handbrake.

gert@carnewal.com

At least you in the UK and don't have to suffer the indignities of buying with the dollar. I am afraid many people here have altogether stopped ordering things from Euro vendors. Stuff is costing 20% more than it used to before the dollar stuffed itself.

Re: Where Can I get aluminium gearlever / handbrak

DC, I was thinking about adding this too, it definitely would add to the classy and sporty look of the interior. I think the US tequipment part number for sea blue 6 speed is 99704480070 and I'm pretty sure the combo is only $1,099, about 1/3 less than the UK Pounds1,500 pound-converted price!

Do you think these are designed differently for your right hand drive car? If you can confirm the US part is identical you might try emailing a US P dealer's parts department to check their price and see if they might order and ship it to you. If it's a match but they wont mail it to you I'd rather throw it on my card and ship it over and have you send me a check when you get it than seeing you pay triple!

Quote:
    dr.j said:
    DC, I was thinking about adding this too, it definitely would add to the classy and sporty look of the interior. I think the US tequipment part number for sea blue 6 speed is 99704480070 and I'm pretty sure the combo is only $1,099, about 1/3 less than the UK Pounds1,500 pound-converted price!

Do you think these are designed differently for your right hand drive car? If you can confirm the US part is identical you might try emailing a US P dealer's parts department to check their price and see if they might order and ship it to you. If it's a match but they wont mail it to you I'd rather throw it on my card and ship it over and have you send me a check when you get it than seeing you pay triple!

The writing ("Porsche") on the handbrake is the other way round for RHD cars. They are written in such a way that the driver can read from left to right. Gear lever the same of course.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    dr.j said:

The writing ("Porsche") on the handbrake is the other way round for RHD cars. They are written in such a way that the driver can read from left to right. Gear lever the same of course.

Thanks guys, I can live with the "PORSCHE" script on the handbrake facing the wrong way.

$1,099 is TWO THIRDS less than the UK price, converts to Pounds552, according to xe.com. At that money I'd definitely buy, but not sure that US dealer would sell to non-US sources but I am definitely going to try.

Silly question, can you also order the RHD configuration in the US?

Quote:
    dr.j said:

Don't happen to know a friendly US Porsche dealer whom I could contact to see if he will sell me the gearlever / handbrake kit, do you? Much appreciate your help.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Don't happen to know a friendly US Porsche dealer whom I could contact to see if he will sell me the gearlever / handbrake kit, do you? Much appreciate your help.

Suncoast generally has the best prices of any dealer in the USA for parts.

http://www.suncoastporschesarasota.com/parts.aspx

Toll Free: +1-877-923-1700
    T: +1-941-923-1700
    F: +1-941-925-3756

Mon to Fri: 7:30am - 6:00pm
    Sat: 8:00am - 4:00pm
    Sun: Closed

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Thanks for that I'll contact them.

DC, just sent you a PM with a second P dealer as a back-up option.

Quote:
    dr.j said:
    DC, just sent you a PM with a second P dealer as a back-up option.

Just read you PM, very many thanks for your offer of assistance. I Emailed Sunset {Porsche yesterday evening no answer yet, I'll Email your contact also.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Emailed and spoken to a very helpful guy (Rick Knab) at Suncoast Porsche and ordered the aluminium gearknob / handbrake lever from him. $995.00 plus shipping charge. He tells me that it will be sent out to me this week.

Just can't believe how we are ripped off here in the UK.

Thanks very much for your help, moogle and dr.j, which has hopefully led to a successful conclusion. I've really wanted this accessory ever since I've seen it in Porsche showrooms, but there was no way I'd pay Pounds1,500 for it.

I intend to get it retrofitted together with the short shifter which my own OPC has quoted sensible money to supply and fit.

You will really enjoy the short shifter as my '06 987S had the regular shifter, and my '08 has the factory short shifter and it really is a big improvement.
    vincesf

I can't speak highly enough of Suncoast Porsche, and their parts guy Ric Knab. He even Emailed me a photo of the gearknob to make sure it was what I wanted. The kit is now on its way courtesy of UPS, hopefully I should receive it by the middle of next week.

You probbaly got it cheap, cause the knob's on sideways!

DC, that sounds great, thanks for letting us know how professional Suncoast was!

Haha, wtsnet is envious! I just went to Suncoast and priced PSE, short shifter, aluminium gearlever/handbrake and clear side markers and the grand total was only $300, (around Pounds155), or about what wtsnet pays for one tank of petrol in the UK.

Seriously though, I do need to decide this fall if I should do those upgrades or get the facelift 987S. If I had the 3.4 295hp Boxster it would be an easy decision, I'd keep my car! But switching from the '06 3.2 987S and going from 280hp to 310hp is a little tempting, even if the new car is now ugly and looks like a current 987S that just got pimped by the guys on MTV.

Quote:
    dr.j said:

Haha, wtsnet is envious!

I try and ignore the poor chap, he's from Dorset, and the rumour is that they still eat their young over there.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    dr.j said:

Haha, wtsnet is envious!

I try and ignore the poor chap, he's from Dorset, and the rumour is that they still eat their young over there.

With BBQ sauce.
    Imminent move to Bath may civilise though.
    Yes, I'm jealous.

Glad it all worked out to a generous savings on your part

Best,
    Tom

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Glad it all worked out to a generous savings on your part

Best,
    Tom

Worked out fine, many thanks to you and dr.j for help.

Arrived last Thursday, 27th, here's the gearlever ...

....and the handbrake. Even after paying freight, import duty and VAT it still only cost more or less what the UK factory fitted price is. The fitting is being combined with OPC supplied short shifter next weekend, so little extra labour charge as gearlever and centre console has to come off to fit the shortshift. Money saved - around Pounds700 from sourcing these parts in the UK.

Parts look sweet! And I was just admiring a Cobalt Cayman on the road yesterday, thinking what a great color, it's a shame 2 of the best colors, Cobalt and Seal, are now gone, but makes these cars more exclusive.

Glad you saved Pounds700, that's 77 cases of Becks here in the USA!!

Quote:
    dr.j said:
    Parts look sweet! And I was just admiring a Cobalt Cayman on the road yesterday, thinking what a great color, it's a shame 2 of the best colors, Cobalt and Seal, are now gone, but makes these cars more exclusive.

Glad you saved Pounds700, that's 77 cases of Becks her in the USA!!

Yes, we love Cobalt, with our last car we baulked at paying the equivalent of $3,000 (it was a "special" colour then), and ended up with boring arctic silver with the same blue leather and soft top. I regretted then not getting seal grey, even more so when I saw porsche-jeck's classy combination of seal / cocoa . The other colour we loved when we saw it on 986 Boxster was polar silver, a wonderful ice-blue shade. Be interested to see what acqua blue is like, this I believe is the replacement for cobalt.

This car is now just about perfect for us. The only last little detail would be the door finishers in leather, but they won't lift the interior like the aluminium gearlever and handbrake will. Really looking forward to getting them fitted now, with the short shifter. I'll post "as fitted" photo's once done.

I'm still thinking about the door finishers, if I do go for them it will be done when the car goes in for the 2 year service in September.

Here Pounds700 is just 10 full tanks of super-unleaded.

Great looking shifter and brake handle!
    Let us know how you like the short-shifter.
    Thanks,
    vincesf

Great I will be doing the same as you in a few month.
    I am starting to buy nearly everything form the US, from CD's to sports accessories to Hi Fi stuff and other lectronics..... The price is always around 1/2 of what I would pay around here
    The way we buy our goods is changing.....and will more and more!

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I am starting to buy nearly everything form the US, from CD's to sports accessories to Hi Fi stuff and other lectronics..... The price is always around 1/2 of what I would pay around here
    The way we buy our goods is changing.....and will more and more!

You see in spite of what everybody is saying, USA is still the land of opportunity

Quote:
    Gnil said:

At least if you order from the States "PORSCHE" will be reading the right way round on the handbrake.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

At least if you order from the States "PORSCHE" will be reading the right way round on the handbrake.

So when are you guys switching to the correct side of the road

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:

So when are you guys switching to the correct side of the road

Ironically the car does more miles (or is it km's) in mainland Europe than it does here in the UK - our roads are too congested to enjoy sports cars anymore, unless you go to Scotland, Wales (natives can be strange there ) or North Yorkshire (where we are spending two weeks in September).

Next year our plans are to visit your country, route comes from Calais, down to Bern, Zurich I think, yet to plan properly, to Davos for a couple of nights) - Stelvio Pass - is it open last week of May on our way to Austria for a weeks stay before returning via Germany.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760474 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434256 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259952 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257096 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80720 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871163 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806305 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM