Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Turbo FL Coupe pics

Quote:
    Crash said:

That new grenade they intend to use for propulsion will need all the cooling it can get .

HAHA! Took me a few seconds to get it.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Georgie997S said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    It will be also almost impossible to tune.

Why????

Did you read some reports by RC here as well?

I do not want to go in-depth here:

-new DFI engine more network like connected to PDK/PASM/PTM setup
    -PDK torque limit 700Nm
    -new exhaust system and cats with different layout
    -some software and hardware limitations implemented by Porsche

At least in the USA, software will never inhibit tuning-remember we have Bill Gates and with cooperative dealers, they all just look away. The problem with the FL engine/PDK, if indeed it can't handle 600HP and 700Nm torque is just that. Tuners will need to transplant the engine to make big power gains.

While we all say to ourselves that for cars that remain stock that 700Hp/900Nm is well over stock power and torque ratings, so what's the worry, the problem is the car will now run closer to its safety margins so beyond its five-year warranty, how well will it hold up to years of spirited driving, even for the car that remains un-modded? Or in our throw-away society that automatically trades these in after warranty is out, does anyone who buys them really care about longevity? And more significantly, does Porsche really care-once their financial liability to the car's service has ended?

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    I think the tips are waaaaay too big.

Seems as if big tits, er tips are currently en vogue. Just have a look at those of the LP560-4. Though they look quite good, I find them a little bit too much, even for a Lambo.

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    I think the tips are waaaaay too big.

The consensus was the original tips were ugly. Porsche with their in your face attitude decided to make them even bigger.

Quote:
    kashmir said:

A sheep in a drunken wolf's clothing .

Why you say that?

Because they ripped its heart out and replaced it with a pacemaker .

Is that really something you recognize that much as a daily or weekend driver...? I cannot recall a 911 who had not been better or improved than the presuccessor.

I'm not so sure the 996 Turbo was better than the 993 Turbo. I had both and, personally, liked the 993 better.

Am I the only one who likes the looks of the facelift tt? At least at this car, the update of the shape of the rear lights and the exhausts seems to tie up. (Looking at the comparo pic right now)
    -Joost-

No , I like the facelift too.
    But to be fair. I think the comparison pic of MMD is not doing any favors to the current style. Color and picture are not very flattering.

The 9A sump pan of the FL car looks terrible in that picture!

Quote:
    eclou said:
    The 9A sump pan of the FL car looks terrible in that picture!

Another reason to stay with the 997.1TT

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I dont recall anyone compaining about the rear view mirrors, you? Mine are just fine, why in the world would they give it dumbo ears?

Still cant stand the rear lights, imo they're just terrible. Change for the sake of change is usually never a good thing. Obviously bigger exhaust tips which mean bigger exhaust openings. You think they just want to [beep] off the after-market folks? I mean obviously all the current after-market exhaust tips designs will have to be completely re-tooled & made bigger. Imagine how big the Fabspeed tips are going to be, like bazooka's!

Gregg,

Rear view exterior mirrors are the big because of EU regulations. So, in that regard blame EU...

But all cars are getting them right? In the US as well?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I dont recall anyone compaining about the rear view mirrors, you? Mine are just fine, why in the world would they give it dumbo ears?

Still cant stand the rear lights, imo they're just terrible. Change for the sake of change is usually never a good thing. Obviously bigger exhaust tips which mean bigger exhaust openings. You think they just want to [beep] off the after-market folks? I mean obviously all the current after-market exhaust tips designs will have to be completely re-tooled & made bigger. Imagine how big the Fabspeed tips are going to be, like bazooka's!

Gregg,

Rear view exterior mirrors are the big because of EU regulations. So, in that regard blame EU...

Yep. Cheaper to build one part than two. That said, just buy a replacement pair for the 997.1 and install those .

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Gregg,

I don't think they will make two kinds of mirrors, one for EU and one for ROW.

To be honest with you before I first saw the 997.2 I thought the new mirrors would stick out in the face, judging from pictures and influenced by all the posts here.

I spent some 90mins with two cars one black and one silver and when I left I couldn't remember how the new mirrors looked.

Just don't focus too much on trivialities you might lose the big picture.

Quote:

so what's the worry, the problem is the car will now run closer to its safety margins so beyond its five-year warranty, how well will it hold up to years of spirited driving, even for the car that remains un-modded?

Five year warranty?

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Gregg,

To be honest with you before I first saw the 997.2 I thought the new mirrors would stick out in the face, judging from pictures and influenced by all the posts here.

I spent some 90mins with two cars one black and one silver and when I left I couldn't remember how the new mirrors looked.

Right. The big picture as in GT1 motor replacement w/ a pos. Nice mirrors though.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Gregg,

Right. The big picture as in GT1 motor replacement w/ a pos. Nice mirrors though.

Yes engine replacement could be an issue for debate not mirrors. What's next the new floor mats?

Quote:
    993S said:
    No , I like the facelift too.
    But to be fair. I think the comparison pic of MMD is not doing any favors to the current style. Color and picture are not very flattering.

HAHAHA! Not as easy as it looks. Your comp is not perfect. I tried to correct exposure it but lighting isn't the same.

Mirrors too small? How frickin absurd.

Next thing they'll say the windshield and back window don't give enough visibility and the car will look more like a Beetle for the 998.

What BS.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Gregg,

Yes engine replacement could be an issue for debate not mirrors. What's next the new floor mats?

If you say so.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Gregg,

If you say so.

Is that a new special colour for the new FLTT?

Actually, that color has been around for quite some time on another German variant:

Cyber Green:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Gregg,

If you say so.

Freaky, I was going to post that EXACT Shrek pic (found on google images) directly after your dumbo post but decided last minute not too as it was 800 wide

Quote:
    kashmir said:

Is that really something you recognize that much as a daily or weekend driver...? I cannot recall a 911 who had not been better or improved than the presuccessor.

993 - 996 is debatable. 'Improved' is subjective here.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    kashmir said:

993 - 996 is debatable. 'Improved' is subjective here.

Worse looks, plasticky interior, inferior engine - yep, the 996 was a real improvement over the 993 .

So you say the GT1 watercooled is inferior to its air cooled predecessor?

The M64 engine in its various incarnations was good enough to be every 993. I don't think the GT1 is better simply because it's water cooled. It's not like air cooled engines were flawed. FWIW, I was referring to the look and the drippy egg lights and the increase in mass/size. And the move away from floor-hinged pedals. And the less solid build feel. And the reduction in 'feel'. I would take a 993 over a 996 any day. Turbo too. Only exception is the GT2!

Quote:
    trip said:
    So you say the GT1 watercooled is inferior to its air cooled predecessor?

I was referring to the boxsterized engine that was used in the standard 996.

Quote:
    Eric (Plug Guy) said:
    Quote:

so what's the worry, the problem is the car will now run closer to its safety margins so beyond its five-year warranty, how well will it hold up to years of spirited driving, even for the car that remains un-modded?

Five year warranty?

Sorry, good catch. PAG has to wait only 4 years before they're free from you.

2 years here in UK!

Quote:
    Alex_997TurboRSC said:
    2 years here in UK!

Alex,
    What kind of pup is that? At first I was thinking Samoyed but now I dont think so. Very cute.

She's a Golden Retriever.

However she is almost white so although I have a 5 generation pedigree certificate with lots of national show winners as ancestors, there must be some 'Arctic' retriever in there somewhere!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813410 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453106 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273225 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92103 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891850 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851785 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM