Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official: New Porsche Carrera T

bluelines:

Now go test drive a 991.2 GTS  indecision

Smiley Smiley 

Not sure what is going on with our GTS Cab, it gets louder and louder.

My wife leaves in the morning in the car and it wakes up half of the neighborhood (OK, maybe a bit exaggerated but it is pretty loud). She never turns on the sport exhaust! No, no holes in the exhaust system. Smiley

I am so impressed how good it sounds after I was so disappointed with the sport exhaust in the first 991.2 Carrera S I drove after it came out. Huge improvement. 
    I am curious how the 992 will sound but I'm afraid... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Sure, unfortunately, as with any Porsche "there is always a bigger fish" ... SmileySmiley

@ Way "I have always wanted rear seats in my various GT3s as I like the more raw experience of the GT cars. Will the T fit the bill? I actually think with the thin glass and reworked gearshifts it will bring me half way there."

As the "T" stands for Touring rather than for Track, the T will disappoint you if you expect a kind of "poor man's GT3" experience. The thin glass is a (nice) gimmick but I doubt it has any influence on the driving experience. Having said that there is no doubt that the T on a twisty road (especially in high altitude with the Turbo engine) is an excellent performer and provides a lot of driving fun and a GT3 will have a hard time to pull away there.....just be aware of 4wd GTS Coupés with Swiss numberplates indecision

As for RWS: I always thought that is to help big cars with huge wheelbase rather than sportscars, hence I decided to go oldschool. I am wondering though whether RWS makes more sense in a 4wd/GTS car than in the slim rear Carrera/T/S (the latter with smaller track-width at the rear axle). Indeed I found that a GTS Cab (2wd) without RWS was less willing to corner than the T (I am sure weight penalty of the cab and PASM vs. SPASM also played a role), whereas in a Targa GTS with RWS cornering was excellent kiss

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

RC:

How many km do you have on the clock of the GTS cab, RC ? I understand that loudness increases over time indeed - even at 10,000 km there seems to be some kind of "sound booster" to kick in Smiley

--

Daily Driver 991 Carrera T (June 2018), Canyon Carver 981 Spyder, Track Machine 997 GT3

Porsche-Jeck:

....be aware of 4wd GTS Coupés with Swiss numberplates indecision

Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

d997h:

Again, from the driving experiences, I am really taken by this car as the turbos add so much "fun", considering I am comparing my (lighter) Cayman GTS 340 bhp to a (heavier) T with "just" 30 ponies more...Smiley

It's the low down torque, not the ponies Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:

+1

Indeed. The .2 engine makes the car feel very different than the .1 did. Much quicker. People can moan about turbo charging and the “last NA” as much as they want, but to me the .2 engine is a true masterpiece.

--

d997h:

Sure, unfortunately, as with any Porsche "there is always a bigger fish" ... SmileySmiley

991.2 GT2 RS... Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

bluelines:
    Porsche-Jeck:

+1

Indeed. The .2 engine makes the car feel very different than the .1 did. Much quicker. People can moan about turbo charging and the “last NA” as much as they want, but to me the .2 engine is a true masterpiece.

Yep, Porsche did a terrific job with the 991.2 GTS. The Carrera S, though basically the same engine? Not so much I'm afraid. No experience with the "T", so can't say much about it.

--

Porsche-Jeck:

@ Way "I have always wanted rear seats in my various GT3s as I like the more raw experience of the GT cars. Will the T fit the bill? I actually think with the thin glass and reworked gearshifts it will bring me half way there."

As the "T" stands for Touring rather than for Track, the T will disappoint you if you expect a kind of "poor man's GT3" experience. The thin glass is a (nice) gimmick but I doubt it has any influence on the driving experience. Having said that there is no doubt that the T on a twisty road (especially in high altitude with the Turbo engine) is an excellent performer and provides a lot of driving fun and a GT3 will have a hard time to pull away there.....just be aware of 4wd GTS Coupés with Swiss numberplates indecision

As for RWS: I always thought that is to help big cars with huge wheelbase rather than sportscars, hence I decided to go oldschool. I am wondering though whether RWS makes more sense in a 4wd/GTS car than in the slim rear Carrera/T/S (the latter with smaller track-width at the rear axle). Indeed I found that a GTS Cab (2wd) without RWS was less willing to corner than the T (I am sure weight penalty of the cab and PASM vs. SPASM also played a role), whereas in a Targa GTS with RWS cornering was excellent kiss

Thanks for this! When I’m talking about GT3 above, I was more referring to the fact that they are much more raw in feel, as opposed to wanting the T to be a track car. My GT4 for example feels more raw just with the modified gear shifts and less insulation. It did still only have a Carrera S engine. Maybe I need to go find a Carrera T to test drive. 

WAY:

Thanks for this! When I’m talking about GT3 above, I was more referring to the fact that they are much more raw in feel, as opposed to wanting the T to be a track car.

Your welcome Smiley Yes, I understand where you are coming from: rawness is a rather subjective feeling, but I can assure you that both a 997 GT3 and a 981 Spyder do feel more raw than a T Smiley even though I'd say that the SPASM in the T maybe even a bit harsher than the analogue sport suspension in the Spyder (depending on road condition and "driving mood"). Nevertheless even though I would not describe the driving experience in the T as "raw" to me it's a very involving driving experience and that's what counts for me. To be honest I am stil thinking about where the involvement is exactly coming from (as opposed to the 991.1 Carreras which felt boring to me - especially when equipped with PDK - unless you really would touch the limit of the car which is not a good idea on public roads). Probably it's the right composition of all the parts bin items at the very end of a model cycle (an exercise Porsche is world class in) Smiley

As for the engine discussion: I agree the engine is a gem Smiley And while there are of course performance differences in the variants (base / S / GTS) the core is always the same as is the overall character of the engine.

--

Can’t comprehend how DD and manual can be in the same sentence...

d997h:

Well, I am still waiting for this desperate move from my dealer wanting to get rid of some of the cars in his showroom...I do not know what the very D-day for them is, but who would seriously want to buy a "T" NOW with WLTP and the Paris Motorshow around the corner, so there should be some benefits / rebates available..unless, hmmm, it is Porsche, and they simply don't care... Smiley

Again, from the driving experiences, I am really taken by this car as the turbos add so much "fun", considering I am comparing my (lighter) Cayman GTS 340 bhp to a (heavier) T with "just" 30 ponies more...Smiley

Try Porsche Zentrum Nürnberg - they have a yellow T with an interesting price Tag...they also have an unsold used 981 Spyder in GT Silver, which gets cheaper and cheaper Smiley

Blueflame

SciFrog:

If you can avoid both much city driving and rush hour on the Autobahn it's perfect Smiley

@ Way: here is a rather fresh article partially addressing your question (GT3/T):

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/t-2dr/first-drive-0

--

SciFrog:

I always have Manual in my DD...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

blueflame:
    d997h:

Well, I am still waiting for this desperate move from my dealer wanting to get rid of some of the cars in his showroom...I do not know what the very D-day for them is, but who would seriously want to buy a "T" NOW with WLTP and the Paris Motorshow around the corner, so there should be some benefits / rebates available..unless, hmmm, it is Porsche, and they simply don't care... Smiley

Try Porsche Zentrum Nürnberg - they have a yellow T with an interesting price Tag...they also have an unsold used 981 Spyder in GT Silver, which gets cheaper and cheaper Smiley

Blueflame

Thanks! Smiley however, as my home dealer provides a very good service, I will just closely watch the clock ticking...Smiley

Porsche-Jeck:
    RC:

How many km do you have on the clock of the GTS cab, RC ? I understand that loudness increases over time indeed - even at 10,000 km there seems to be some kind of "sound booster" to kick in Smiley

Your exhaust baffle internal edges are getting a little bit of a decrease in diameter in the flow areas. You are getting better exhaust gas flow from their edges being "cooked" and slightly reduced from exhaust gas heat. Practically all exhaust systems on performance cars do that unless the system and its baffles are way over built.

Porsche-Jeck:
    SciFrog:

If you can avoid both much city driving and rush hour on the Autobahn it's perfect Smiley

@ Way: here is a rather fresh article partially addressing your question (GT3/T):

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/t-2dr/first-drive-0

--

Thanks! That article helps a lot! Surprised they didn’t address the more GT car like gear shifts (which is how I understand it) but otherwise it does help me answer the effect of thin glass and less sound deadening. 

For those advocating a GTS (looking at some Swiss guy here), I can’t stretch to that as my daily driver. Already a T is a stretch. It is afterall double the price of a M2 Competition at least for us here in Australia. But in my eyes the T is even more special from the perspective of what I like about my Porsches. 

Thanks! That article helps a lot! Surprised they didn’t address the more GT car like gear shifts (which is how I understand it) but otherwise it does help me answer the effect of thin glass and less sound deadening. 

For those advocating a GTS (looking at some Swiss guy here), I can’t stretch to that as my daily driver. Already a T is a stretch. It is afterall double the price of a M2 Competition at least for us here in Australia. But in my eyes the T is even more special from the perspective of what I like about my Porsches. 

I do agree, this article helps a lot, however, it seems that "Ts" without "back seats" and without "thin glass delete" will become even more special (again, dealers in Germany seem to get full specc "Carreras in disguise" from P. currently). Interestingly, I find the PDK ABSOLUTELY spot on for the engine setup and always wonder why people want to discuss this stupid "manual vs. automatic" again and again, each to his own, therefore, I do like the PDK...

On the budget, my Porsche is not really a daily driver ( I do roughly 8k km a year), therefore, I am with you about limiting a budget what to spend on a Porsche...I have already given my dealer some (buying) signals, now, I am waiting for a reaction...and, if not, I will enjoy my Cayman GTS further...

blueflame:
    d997h:

Blueflame

My Porsche dealer has two new Carrera T (white and yellow) and a used one. All have PDK though.

--

d997h:

I do agree, this article helps a lot, however, it seems that "Ts" without "back seats" and without "thin glass delete" will become even more special (again, dealers in Germany seem to get full specc "Carreras in disguise" from P. currently). Interestingly, I find the PDK ABSOLUTELY spot on for the engine setup and always wonder why people want to discuss this stupid "manual vs. automatic" again and again, each to his own, therefore, I do like the PDK...

On the budget, my Porsche is not really a daily driver ( I do roughly 8k km a year), therefore, I am with you about limiting a budget what to spend on a Porsche...I have already given my dealer some (buying) signals, now, I am waiting for a reaction...and, if not, I will enjoy my Cayman GTS further...

You could always get a used 991.2 base Carrera instead or even an S...

--

There are also many used GTS at interesting prices...so... 

--

bluelines:
    d997h:

Or the (rumoured) upcoming Cayman T. There’s already a thread here on RT.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:
    bluelines:
    d997h:

Or the upcoming Cayman T. There’s already a thread here on RT.

4-cylinder... SmileySmiley

--

Fortunately, I am not that desparate right now, perhaps I feel a bit itchy to changing to the right side of the force again, ie. 911 territory... however, c'mon, would I really want to compete with "the real GT3 killah" and "my other car is an R8" guys on who is faster in the future....? ... Smiley ... so, wait and see ... Smiley 

quote...My Porsche dealer has two new Carrera T (white and yellow) and a used one. All have PDK though....

@RC...that's what I am talking about - how would the dealers want to rid of these cars ? Starting September all will want to sign up for the 992 anyway....

d997h:

quote...My Porsche dealer has two new Carrera T (white and yellow) and a used one. All have PDK though....

@RC...that's what I am talking about - how would the dealers want to rid of these cars ? Starting September all will want to sign up for the 992 anyway....

I am pretty sure that some good deals will be possible...

I almost got myself a new Audi R8 V10 Plus (built 2018, fully optioned) because of a good offer but declined it. Reason is simple: It would be 200 EUR more per month than I pay now but more importantly, it is still the same car (interesting color though, matte camouflage green), it sounds worse than my 2016 car (which is quite loud and I have no mods) and the facelift should come soon or maybe even a GT model. Makes no sense.

--

RC:
    d997h:

I am pretty sure that some good deals will be possible...

yeah, let's wait and see... Smiley

bluelines:
    Gauss:
    bluelines:
    d997h:

Or the upcoming Cayman T. There’s already a thread here on RT.

4-cylinder... SmileySmiley

Yup no way I would do it. I don’t mind 4 cyl per se but the sound is like a droning engine sound. 

WAY:

Yup no way I would do it. I don’t mind 4 cyl per se but the sound is like a droning engine sound. 

Given, that Porsche produces no cars, how is the supply in your part of the world on "Ts" ? Today, I just compared the "Ts" available at my dealer (ie. 4) and they basically have the same "Carrera" Options, only one has the buckets but the foldable not the GT ones and none have RWS. So, basically all with the usual comfy Options... 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM