Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My consolation for the lost Euro final

Hi guys - too tired to give a full report right now, but I wish every Monday could be like this (even after a lost football final ).

Perfect weather in the beloved Eifel - a bunch of speed addicts and I found 20 seconds over the weekend It can't get better than that
    Just some impresions from today - I hope I can add some action shots as well from the pro photographers later
    Boxey and me need some sleep now after 25 laps today

Re: My consolation for the lost Euro final

This baby sounded insane at full throttle on Döttinger Höhe

Beautiful "Lufti"

The boys from Italy

Waiting for action

Porsche generations

Mr. Danish Dynamite - great guy

Stay tuned - full report tomorrow after some well deserved rest

Nice pics, looks like you had a great turnout and some beautiful weather. Your car photographs very nice. Looking forward to the full report.

Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Looking forward to the full report.

You're welcome Paralizer
    Actually it was the first time for me to enjoy the Green Hell while closed to the public. After this experience I'm afraid the laps during the Touristenfahrten will feel like a coitus interruptus in the future More important: quite few traffic on the track, overtaking manouvres on both sides and blue flags for slow drivers
    Both streetcars and race cars (though no formula cars ) were on the track - actually it didn't cause any probs at all.

My personal highlight was to play with a race Cup Clio (VLN racecar) for two full laps - identical power/weight ratio compared to my Boxey, but of course equipped with sequential gearbox and slicks, not to forget the driver (who got on the podium in his class/SP3 this year already and ended up 30ish out of 200 in the complete classment).
    It was a blast Lap 1: Clio entered the track just in front of me and I thought - hhhm could be interesting. Now and then I came quite close to the Clio but I never was in the position to try an attack.....until the very end of Lap 1 (Döttinger Höhe - long straight), where I actually passed him but I was astonished how much time it took even with my 70 hp advantage Lap 2 was just the other way round - the guy was follwing quite close but never got into an overtaking position
    Also had some great laps with an instructor on the passenger seat - some very helpful advise. When the guy was grinning like a kid after the laps and stating how much fun he had I asked myself who should have paid whom And like always, when a Pro experiences the 987S for the first time - he was really impressed what this little gem is capable of ("...unbelievable what one can do with this car in the corners") and he also was astonished about the grip level provided by the Michelins ("...forget the Cup Tires - not worth it to gain only some seconds on NoS").

Funny experience around noon: ROZ 100 gas sold out at the two gas stations around the'Ring. I filled up (well sort of...), paid 87 Euro and then found out that I filled in hot Eifel air instead of gas

Other highlight: a guy with a racing history (rallye - no track sport) was for the first time at NoS and had fun with his SLK 350 After some 7 laps only he began to smoke quite some GT3s

Like mentioned before the sound of the GT2 at full throttle was unbelievable - just like a proper racecar

Talking about sound: a buddy brought his RS60 Spyder - what a great sound

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:

Boxey and me need some sleep now after 25 laps today

And new tyres
    Thanks PJ. Great shots. I wish I was there !!!
    I am also very surprised at the little difference 60 /70 HP makes on cars when they are driving fast.
    Last week at the Paul Ricard circuit, the Gt3 did not make much difference on the ' Mistral' straight, compared to my car. They did not leave me behind. In the turns , that was a different story

Nice report, really was a great day from the sounds of it. I just so need to get over to your part of the world. I was hoping to maybe do it this fall but between flight prices and the woefully weak dollar, I'm thinking that the odds are not good. Anyway sounds like you really did have a great day. If you have any more pics post them up.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I am also very surprised at the little difference 60 /70 HP makes on cars when they are driving fast.

Yes Gnil - HP is an overrated topic I was stuck for a complete lap behind a 996 GT3 RS who ignored all blue flags (probably just because he thought with some more hp he'd have the right of way)

You're right on the money with the tyres - got a new set today

But I'm very impressed about the durability of the Michelins
    That's what they look like after about 17,000 km (thereof 4,000 km track abuse) :

One more - of course the outer edge looks a bit round

Some nicer pics here:

http://pistenclub.de/

--> Impressionen --> Bilder 2008 --> 30.06.2008

also here:
    http://www.ring1.de/gallery.php?id=117

@ Paralizer: no excuse - last weekend there was a guy from Canada who brought his 997 GT3 RS

Sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed it!

What on earth is that? An advertisement for driving ed on a Ferrari? I suppose it's the car going to compete in the VLN?

Quote:
    Ferdie said:

What on earth is that? An advertisement for driving ed on a Ferrari? I suppose it's the car going to compete in the VLN?

Hi Ferdie Yes, VLN racecar - looks funny with the Fahrschulen (= driving school) ad on it I understood Academy Fahrschulen is a franchise concept for (normal) driving schools - I doubt that the scholars get behind the wheel of the F-car during their driving lessons

Looks like I missed out big style.

The RMA guy I was speaking to left for the Ring at the weekend and I was expecting a call from him first thing Monday morning.....it didn't arrive. I did get an email on Monday saying he would be out of the office until Wednesday!!

I was ready to go, packed and everything. Completely gutted, in fact the wife stayed out of my way all Monday..

Glad you had a great time and for you to find 20 seconds is a major achievement.

Jealous is not the word...

Sorry to hear about that, Richard Poor wifey
    Next time just join me for the PC-trackday (no worries, they have English speaking instructors as well)
    Re the 20 seconds: I was in heaven, though still 30 sec behind HvS If my math is correct I need another 1 1/3 trackdays...

Sorry I missed you but was there as well in my old 325 racer working on the 9 Minute lap time. Unfortunately the construction at Pflanzgarten prevented me so 9:05 is all i could do with a 170hp car...

One of best days at ring

Quote:
    TEE1 said:

One of best days at ring

Too bad that we've missed each other
    Your BMW was # 133 9:05 sounds quite impressive including the construction (which in the afternoon actually went from PG1 all the way up to Kleines Karussell ). If you fully complied with the speed limit over the entire 1.5 km , "adjusted" laptime must be 8:45 or so
    It seems that a bunch of people had been working on a 9 min laptime last Monday
    BTW the guy with the SLK clocked a 8:40 in his 8th lap ever (complete NoS Newbie) - wish I had such talent

I think my car had #63. White with orange spoiler on the back. Actually did the time before the construction came up. 8:45 is still a few laps out... now I want to break the 10:30 at the VLN race in July 19th!

Good luck with your 9 min...

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    Actually did the time before the construction came up. 8:45 is still a few laps out...

O.K. now I see

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    now I want to break the 10:30 at the VLN race in July 19th!

I wish you all the best for the race and the targeted laptime - could well be that I'll be there (unfortunately as a spectator only ) Maybe I cu in the pitlane

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    Good luck with your 9 min...

Thanks, mission accomplished

For sure stop by if you get to the pitlane!
    And good luck for the 8:30 target now...

This is me in action...

Thanks - I'll stop by for sure (will PM you beforehand re box nr. etc.).

8:30 - nooooo, my first name is not Walter I'm feeling comfortable with the speed (at least for now ) - nice flow, but no scary moments

Nice pic - Hocheichen ?

Here's a pic of my racing sunbed from last Monday, though watermarked (didn't buy it yet )

Yup. Wippermann S - I generally take both curps, left and right...

Do PM me

Hier ist doch auch ein gutes Bild...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    813350 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    453092 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    273212 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    92088 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    9536 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

891822 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    851369 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM