Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Here we go again: ZR1 - 7:26.4 at Nur

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:Tadge J. Juechter, Corvette's chief engineer, announced this morning that Jim Mero, GM's development engineer, drove the ZR1 around the Nurburgring in 7:26.4.

If an engineer can lap the Ring in 7:26, imagine what the car would do in the hands of HVS!

GM always says crazy things like that. When the laptime for the Z06 was set, they claimed it was set by David Hill, project Director. He certainly wasn't the driver back then...

I think that David Hill's lap was run this year as an individual not as a GM employee. I imagine that his time can easily be challenged by a professional driver.

I thought the time attributed to Dave Hill WAS set by a pro driver (Jan Magnussen or someone), even though the press release said Dave set it...

It was Magnussen. FWIW, the GT-R times was 7.29 so the Z1 beats it.

Alan, I doubt HvS can even come close to this time. It just is not in his DNA.

Turbo Al, the consternation is that an America car has beaten the Supercars of Europe. That cannot be.

I can believe the time given what a ZO6 can do and this car has well over 600hp and lighter weight.

Unlike you Nick, most of us are not blinded by badges harping against HvS and Porsche. We are dealing with the realities of stated numbers and performance. The ZR1 Numbers are believable given the numbers, the GTRs are just harder the believe especially in comparison. Remember the ZR1 is lighter and with almost 200 bhp more than the GTR. This is always been the basis of our skepticism.

Isn't it old news that the GTR Ring time is bougs?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-truth-about-the-nissan-gt-r-and-the-nurburgring-lap-record/

the problem is the CHEAP interior... all else is well... it's the feel you get as soon as you slip into one... I would be ready to pay an extra $25k for chevy to grant me a porsche/ferrari/aston-like interior... and THEN I'd buy one

Marwan - this is not a real issue. I've seen a C6 with a very nice interior (Recaro seats & full leather á la Porsche) made to order (if I recall correctly the made to order parts were done by Callway). Salesguy told me the extra price for the customization was about 10-12k Euro

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-truth-about-the-nissan-gt-r-and-the-nurburgring-lap-record/

This article is stupid.Don't take those clowns seriously.

you must be kidding if you believe this interior is acceptable for a car that costs that much. Adding leather and other gadgets won't do the job either for this poorly designed interior. It needs a complete make-over.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Marwan - this is not a real issue. I've seen a C6 with a very nice interior (Recaro seats & full leather á la Porsche) made to order (if I recall correctly the made to order parts were done by Callway). Salesguy told me the extra price for the customization was about 10-12k Euro

At least in the US, you can own a Corvette almost or free.

How? The first year depreciation for a 997 Cabriolet with a few options is almost the same as the sales price for a std 405hp Corvette convertible with sport suspension and 6spd manual.

You have plenty of money left over to install Porsche like leather interior trim and Recaro seats.

it ain't just the leather and seats... it's EVERYTHING... the interior shapes, every bit of material, button, and switch... the 50s and 60s corvettes were far more competitive with same era ferraris and maseratis... today, they have simply been surpassed... I love the simplicity of the corvette's engineering (chevy V8, rock-crushing gearbox, etc.), but I just can't take that interior... the pic. posted by 550 spyder says it ALL...

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

Any actual reasons why you come to that conclusion or just usual messageboard, flying by the seat of your pants unsubstantiated commentary?

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

Any actual reasons why you come to that conclusion or just usual messageboard, flying by the seat of your pants unsubstantiated commentary?

Actually, Walter is right. There are a enough factual errors in that article to stop me taking it seriously.

Can't be bothered to go into detail. Spain is just beating Germany at soccer right now.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

Actually, Walter is right. There are a enough factual errors in that article to stop me taking it seriously.

Can't be bothered to go into detail. Spain is just beating Germany at soccer right now.

I'm not really going to get into another GTR debate but the following are well established facts:

1. the GTR used a modified suspension and semi-cut slicks around the Ring;

2. The GTR Ring time is based on a flying start; and

3. The GTR Ring time is based on different starting and stopping points.

Quote:
    550 Spyder said:
    you must be kidding if you believe this interior is acceptable for a car that costs that much. Adding leather and other gadgets won't do the job either for this poorly designed interior. It needs a complete make-over.

And you think this is worth $60K?

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

I'm not really going to get into another GTR debate but the following are well established facts:

1. the GTR used a modified suspension and semi-cut slicks around the Ring;

2. The GTR Ring time is based on a flying start; and

3. The GTR Ring time is based on different starting and stopping points.

Re your points 2 and 3:

- All Ring times are generally based on a flying start, as the starting gate is at the end of a short section of speed-restricted track. (Compare it to driving through a speed-restricted pit lane). Cars accelerate at the end of the restricted zone to pass the starting point at as high a speed as possible.

- Due to the speed-restricted section which has to be driven through on every lap of the Nordschleife, the end of the lap is a few hundred meters away from from the start (i.e., before the starting point). This is the same for everyone going for a timed lap, not just Nissan.
    Unless of course you are saying that Nissan shortened the lap even further by not using the same two positions for their start/end lap-triggers as everyone else uses?

Don't get me wrong. I also think that Nissan must have taken a cavalier attitude to preparing the car and/or timing the lap, otherwise they could not have achieved the claimed time in a stock car with stock weight and power figures. I just don't think that the web site you linked to got the facts right to help support this same view.

Comparison shots are interesting. Anyone got the same view of aston, ferrari, or lambo?

I won't comment on the Corvette itself anymore. There simply are two extreme opinions out there that won't go together.

The time sounds much more plausible considering track focus, spec sheet and personal experience. Anyways please note that the low thread on the Z06 and ZR1's tires are not any further away from everyday usability than Cup tires.

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    the problem is the CHEAP interior... all else is well... it's the feel you get as soon as you slip into one... I would be ready to pay an extra $25k for chevy to grant me a porsche/ferrari/aston-like interior... and THEN I'd buy one

Jewlery is located in isle 4, next to cosmetics and ladies underwear. This thread is about gut wrenching performance cars. The information you seek is in the leather conditioning/polishing forum.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

Jewlery is located in isle 4, next to cosmetics and ladies underwear. This thread is about gut wrenching performance cars. The information you seek is in the leather conditioning/polishing forum.

last i heard it was ok to want luxury AND performance in a single package... otherwise you might as well go straight to an Ariel Atom!

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:

Maybe Chev can throw in some triple bacon-cheeseburger coupons and a football helmet to go along with the manly-man spartan interior?

I think it is a great looking car and the claimed 'ring time is quite believable. Definitely looking forward to the comparisons with the GT-R.

Quote:
    01Box06Z06 said:
    Quote:
    550 Spyder said:

And you think this is worth $60K?

Yeah, right... I did not reply to the original post because it was silly. The interior Vette picture perspective is terrible and all interiors shot from that perspective will look gaudy. It's silly to say that the interior of the current Vette is ugly, especially the top leather wrap. It is quite ergonomic and comfortable. And... these are the guys who would be paying a premium for a stripped bare metal interior should one be available from a premium brand. Prejudice and peer pressure are funny things.

I enjoy participating on this forum primarily for it's diversity, but ONLY here would I continue to hear comments about a car's interior which runs a 7:26 at the ring!?!?! Instead of talking about spring ratio's, engine specs, gearing, gearbox, or suspension technology that makes such an increadible feat possible for a production car, we talk about "the dashboard"!?!? This is not a euro luxo 5000lb sedan, nor is it a bare metal open cockpit Ariel Atom. It is perhaps in a category of it's own (possibly created by American's), that blends the two methodologies together at s reasonable price. It takes raw perfomance only available in hardcore track biased machines, and happens to add a nice interior with airbags, air condition, and radio, with a package that is 100% streetable (probably more so than a GT3). It's focus is on perfomance with interior/luxury being secondary. The goal is to put the money into designing a machine that will conquer the world while providing at least a B+ comfort.

I personally see WAY to much emphasis on useless appointments in today's euro cars that are better suited to "football wives" than for a true sports car enthusiast.

I STILL say, Jewlery in isle #4!

My hope is that the more factory claims for NBR lap times of new cars will appear the more sports car lovers will agree that claimed OEM times are not reliable and thus not a basis for serious discussions. SportAuto Supertest rules (until another test of similar quality will appear)

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    I enjoy participating on this forum primarily for it's diversity, but ONLY here would I continue to hear comments about a car's interior which runs a 7:26 at the ring!?!?! Instead of talking about spring ratio's, engine specs, gearing, gearbox, or suspension technology that makes such an increadible feat possible for a production car, we talk about "the dashboard"!?!? This is not a euro luxo 5000lb sedan, nor is it a bare metal open cockpit Ariel Atom. It is perhaps in a category of it's own (possibly created by American's), that blends the two methodologies together at s reasonable price. It takes raw perfomance only available in hardcore track biased machines, and happens to add a nice interior with airbags, air condition, and radio, with a package that is 100% streetable (probably more so than a GT3). It's focus is on perfomance with interior/luxury being secondary. The goal is to put the money into designing a machine that will conquer the world while providing at least a B+ comfort.

I personally see WAY to much emphasis on useless appointments in today's euro cars that are better suited to "football wives" than for a true sports car enthusiast.

Very well stated. This renaissance ability used to be the 911 Turbo's forte, combining supercar performance with everyday usability with just enough leather and bespoke trim to satisfy the Euro-effete and the pampered American. The model still can be modded to easily keep it on top, but with talk of making the next generation engine block just able to handle the tuning that comes from the factory and not much more, it will be the end of an era.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

Very well stated. This renaissance ability used to be the 911 Turbo's forte, combining supercar performance with everyday usability with just enough leather and bespoke trim to satisfy the Euro-effete and the pampered American. The model still can be modded to easily keep it on top, but with talk of making the next generation engine block just able to handle the tuning that comes from the factory and not much more, it will be the end of an era.

Once the Turbo can no more be reliably tuned, the Audi R8 V10 (saw a white R8 with black rims yesterday - stunning; the silver 997 Turbo around the corner looked pedestrian) and the LP560 will become much more appealing for this demographic. After all, the LP560 is about as fast as a CG544/Ruf550 out of the box .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778473 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442122 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261286 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85532 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880962 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816767 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM