Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Carrera 4/4S: first OFFICIAL pictures!!

Hmmmm

Anybody watched the video in the C4 section. It states that the 4 models get titanium slats on the front air intakes (which look nice) and the rear underbody trim and side skirts are "contrasted in black"!!!!!!

Ewwwwwwww - contrasted in black! Looks to me like they are just unpainted. How come the C2 gets the improved colour coordinated sides and the C4 gets el-cheapo black-tar finish. This "contrasting in black" is quite normal on entry level models in car ranges - but this is the first time Ive seen the higher model with it?

Thoughts - looks worse to me!???

(on thinking about it maybe the current C4 has this feature too, but what the............)

Quote:
    Adam2S said:... but this is the first time Ive seen the higher model with it?

The C4/C4S are not "higher" models re the C2/C2S. The difference is different traction. I choose one, you choose the other, but one is not higher or lower in the hierarchy. Actually... let me rethink this... from a purist's perspective the 2WD is the higher model as its purer.

Re the painted skirts/diffuser: if you go to the top of this thread you'll see C4/C4S with those bits painted... I bet it's an option on all cars.

ok its more expensive though which is generally used as an indication of place in range. Anyway thats not the point I was getting it - way why has the C4S got the inferior black sidesill paint job?

Unless of course its because despite the price, the C4 is actually the base model with the primer paint trim!

Yuk, its horrid... Love the wide ass, hate the cheapo paint job.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    I would have preferred a bigger stripe, 964 style.

I like it more...but I may not be objective, since I drive a 964

Brake light moved down to the strip.

Quote:
    Adam2S said:
    Ewwwwwwww - contrasted in black! Looks to me like they are just unpainted. this is the first time Ive seen the higher model with it?

I dunno, Porsche might suspect that some of their clientel would like to take their C4 off road making the unpainted side skirts practical.

Looks cheap

The red stripe makes the car look like some wannabe Honda civic or nissan sentra. What do you need a go faster stripe for?

I will stick with the only Red Stripe worth bothering about - and it comes from Jamaica, not Germany.

Oh well there goes My E92 M3 order.....

any chance somebody can post a rearview side by side of the c2s and c4s for comparison?

Just order the C2/S

You can avoid the stupid red stripe and the weight of the unnecessary awd system. Now that was easy.

Quote:
    Emperor said:

Well, surely as unnecessary as the stripe itself, but perhaps would give a nice effect...

To me, the issue isn't the stripe itself...even though I have an 07, I was and still am all for the return of the stripe. The problem to ME is the dip in the bottom of the lights...that is why the stripe doesn't integrate - I don't like it on the new 2S without the stripe, and I don't like it here - wish they had never changed that. It is possible that the stripe accentuates the dip and therefore compounds the problem, making it appear worse than on the 2S, but my thinking is that its not the stripe per se, it was the funky change in the shape of the lights to begin with. Flatten out the bottom of the light, so that the stripe carries across the car into the lights in a straight line, and you're in business.

Having said all that, I of course couldn't resist going on the Porsche web site and trying on different paint and wheel combinations in a 4S, and by the time I put together the Atlas Gray with those new wheels, I have to say I think I could get used to it!

Quote:
    Toddman said:
    To me, the issue isn't the stripe itself...even though I have an 07, I was and still am all for the return of the stripe. The problem to ME is the dip in the bottom of the lights...that is why the stripe doesn't integrate - I don't like it on the new 2S without the stripe, and I don't like it here - wish they had never changed that. It is possible that the stripe accentuates the dip and therefore compounds the problem, making it appear worse than on the 2S, but my thinking is that its not the stripe per se, it was the funky change in the shape of the lights to begin with. Flatten out the bottom of the light, so that the stripe carries across the car into the lights in a straight line, and you're in business.

Having said all that, I of course couldn't resist going on the Porsche web site and trying on different paint and wheel combinations in a 4S, and by the time I put together the Atlas Gray with those new wheels, I have to say I think I could get used to it!

I think it could be an easy fix.

Buy a 07 and change the boot for a 08 with a stripe. I'm sure it would fit nicely.

Or buy a 2008, switch the rear bumper and lights for the old ones.

But why integrate breaking light in the red stripe.

WOWOWOWOWOWOWWW

I'm again amazed by the carrera 4S !!!!!! , COMPLETELY LOVE IT IN WHITE COLOUR !!!!!!, IT LOOKS BETTER THAN AN ASTON FOR ME !!!!!...LOVE IT !!!!

Now, what a pain in the a$$ !!!!, we thought of ordering a carrera S for January or so, but now seeing the 4S.....

any official prices for the 4S ????

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    WOWOWOWOWOWOWWW

I'm again amazed by the carrera 4S !!!!!! , COMPLETELY LOVE IT IN WHITE COLOUR !!!!!!, IT LOOKS BETTER THAN AN ASTON FOR ME !!!!!...LOVE IT !!!!

Now, what a pain in the a$$ !!!!, we thought of ordering a carrera S for January or so, but now seeing the 4S.....

You need a all wheel drive system in Madrid,Spain? I would have thought that the extra complexity and weight of such a system is a sacrifice for somebody living on or near the Alps or in Scandinavia, for example.

Quote:
    Emperor said:

Quote:
    Adam2S said:
    Ewwwwwwww - contrasted in black! Looks to me like they are just unpainted. this is the first time Ive seen the higher model with it?

I dunno, Porsche might suspect that some of their clientel would like to take their C4 off road making the unpainted side skirts practical.

It stays unpainted for the snow and mud. Because most of the C4 users will be in areas of frequent snowfall.

A like the effect of the brake lighting the strip

Really? I thought that white was the worst. If anything, the darkest colors makes the red stripe more acceptable. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    WOWOWOWOWOWOWWW

You need a all wheel drive system in Madrid,Spain? I would have thought that the extra complexity and weight of such a system is a sacrifice for somebody living on or near the Alps or in Scandinavia, for example.

Completely agree Reginos, but the looks of the 4S are amazing, if we finally decide to go for the 4S version, is because of the looks, hope the weight does not penalised the performance too much vs the S version...

Again, its just the looks(ok the wider body and the red stripe, which I completely love now) + the silver airvents in the front bumper !!!!

@Socal; I completely respect your opinion, but for me right now the best looking mk2 4S I've seen in the pics, is the white one, pretty impressive to say the least !!!!

Looks like they gave up some of the rear wheel wide stance. I liked that look.

Errr... *cough-cough*... Are you guys serious? This is (by far!) the ugliest 4/4S the world has seen so far. How could you all hail the new C4S, when we once had this car (see pic). Seriously... the whole 997 thing was a step (or should I say "huge leap") in the wrong direction. Not just Lamborghinis and Ferraris, but also an Audi R8 has more of the style and looks to it, than this 997-thing. Porsche should have evolved from the 996 design towards a modern, cool and aggressive style... not stepping back towards the cuddly, curved and cosy look.

Heck... even the 4S badge looks better and more "designed" on the 996, than it does on the 997. Porsche will never see any bucks from my bank account for the 997. Hopefully they wake up with the 998...

Interesting, Martin J.S.
    I had a black 996 4S - the unique styling of which made the car particularly attractive versus the standard models, and something which I think Porsche lost a bit with the 997 Mk I. That said - I quite like the rear-end shot of the black one, but agree that with lighter colors and from 3/4 angles the red-strip starts to look more "stretched" aesthetically. And I would note, I do have an MK II 4S on order.
    One additional point:
    I still think there is room for the 4S (and maybe the S) to benefit from a more aggressive design vs. standard siblings as was the case with 993 S/4S and 996 4S.

The red stripe is silliness and doesnt add to the coherence of the design or lines as per previous models. Maybe time to play with aftermarket solutions once the novelty wears of.
    Ps. I am assuming the intergrated brake lights are just a bit of photoshop fun!!

The whole problem with the 997 red stripe is, as stated by others, that it is too narrow and looks like a tacky tack-on. The problem is that the designers mangled the tail light re-design by adding extra curves to its lower border, and with the addition of the narrow stripe, this even more accentuates the busy additional curves to the new tail lights.

From Martin's 996 example, here is the 993 example from my 1997 993TT, with a true stripe all 'round the tail. I always felt that the 993's red stripe was acceptable, if not ideal, but the 996 to the 997 with the reconfigured tail lights is less aesthetically optimal:

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    I always felt that the 993's red stripe was acceptable, if not ideal, but the 996 to the 997 with the reconfigured tail lights is less aesthetically optimal:

Exactly. On the 993 it was just acceptable, after that it was completely out of place.
    On the 997, it looks to me that the only purpose of the new light shape was to be able to fit this silly red stripe.
    Loads of you wanted the red stripe back, P has listened to you...but you might now realise it is something for the past.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    ...Loads of you wanted the red stripe back, P has listened to you...but you might now realise it is something for the past.

I disagree with you. The stripe is not something of the past, only the way porsche implemented it is an insult to the customer. I can not imagine that there is one designer that signed for this, this is a solution driven by money, because if they wanted to solve it in a correct way, they had to change the rear light cluster, the engine lid, the bumper and the fenders. Now they only had to change the engine lid...
    So, this is not something we wanted, I would like to call it "Carefull what you wish for, 'cause porsche might listen only halfway".

Quote:
    Joost said:
    ...I would like to call it "Carefull what you wish for, 'cause porsche might listen only halfway".

Porsche is really going down the 'marketing' road in a big way.
    I hope they will not loose themselves in mass production , and mass customers

Quote:
    webesh said:
    it's absolutely horrible and not in harmony with the rest of the back. what the hell where they thinking??

there must be a way to have that crap removed

I'm pretty sure that some aftermarket component can be put in place of the red reflector piece that can be painted body color, etc, to get back to the cleaner look. If not, I may have to 'one off' my own solution. But who knows, maybe it looks nice in person.

Quote:
    Minok said:
    Quote:
    webesh said:
    it's absolutely horrible and not in harmony with the rest of the back. what the hell where they thinking??

there must be a way to have that crap removed

I'm pretty sure that some aftermarket component can be put in place of the red reflector piece that can be painted body color, etc, to get back to the cleaner look. If not, I may have to 'one off' my own solution. But who knows, maybe it looks nice in person.

to me the simplest and best way to fix it would be to replace the cover of the engine (only the bottom part of the cover) which seems identical (in size) to that of the 911 C2 (of course except for the red stripe that the C2 doesnt have)

maybe a little bit more expensive than finding a way to cover/replace only the stripe itself. but it should definitely be of much better visual effect

not sure this is feasible. but this is what I'll try to do. I'm planning to buy a targa 4, but want to make sure I have a solution for the red stripe disaster before spending 100k eur

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    The whole problem with the 997 red stripe is, as stated by others, that it is too narrow and looks like a tacky tack-on. The problem is that the designers mangled the tail light re-design by adding extra curves to its lower border, and with the addition of the narrow stripe, this even more accentuates the busy additional curves to the new tail lights.

From Martin's 996 example, here is the 993 example from my 1997 993TT, with a true stripe all 'round the tail. I always felt that the 993's red stripe was acceptable, if not ideal, but the 996 to the 997 with the reconfigured tail lights is less aesthetically optimal:

It looked best here on the 993 but it looked good on the 996 too. On the FL 997 4's it's awful. It looks like they changed the style of the rear lights on the FL 997 just so that they can add the stripe but the whole design just doesnt look good at all. The shape of the rear lights is bad & the stripe makes it worse. It's like they listened to people that said they missed the stripe but by then the shape of the rear lights was different!!! Bring on the 998 these new 997's are terrible looking.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    I always felt that the 993's red stripe was acceptable, if not ideal, but the 996 to the 997 with the reconfigured tail lights is less aesthetically optimal:

Exactly. On the 993 it was just acceptable, after that it was completely out of place.
    On the 997, it looks to me that the only purpose of the new light shape was to be able to fit this silly red stripe.
    Loads of you wanted the red stripe back, P has listened to you...but you might now realise it is something for the past.

Ahhhhh exactly!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776979 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262740 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260897 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85155 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5543 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815789 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM